Stockalike RF Engine Configs v3.2.6 [01/20/19][RF v12]

Raptor831

Small update: The new RCS config is ready to go, I think, so I'll be posting that up hopefully tonight at some point. It will probably be a separate file than the main config so you can mix/match as you need to easily.

Will post again once it's up and the OP is updated.

When I use the RCS configs, my RCS block only thrusts in one direction ("backwards", or "down"). I can change this direction by rotating the rcs block, but it doesn't thrust in 4 directions like the stock rcs does. Is this intended behavior?

Dang. Like I said, I did this myself and came up with almost exactly the same thing. lol. Here's a link to the WIP thread. RealFuel engine and thruster configs is a prime component, but far from the only one.

Sweet! I saw that thread earlier today, so I need to check that out now especially. :wink:

Hey, if anyone downloaded my KSOS engine configuration from a couple pages back: I screwed up the engine masses (this is why the orbiter keeps trying to land backwards). Here's an updated version: link

Nice! Went through the config again, and it looks great. If you'd be willing, I'd like to incorporate those into this config (with due credit of course). Alternatively, if you'd rather keep it all together, I can post a link to your config in the OP.

When I use the RCS configs, my RCS block only thrusts in one direction ("backwards", or "down"). I can change this direction by rotating the rcs block, but it doesn't thrust in 4 directions like the stock rcs does. Is this intended behavior?

As kerbal as that sounds, no, it's not intended. Sounds like that might be the bug NathanKell mentioned a few posts back. I've switched them over to ModuleRCSFX (which worked previously) in my test configs and will be testing them out shortly. You can get the latest MRCSFX in the Realism Overhaul pack or from Nathan's GitHub repo here: link. If you want to make the current config work and you have MRCSFX, you can adjust it to change the ModuleRCS to ModuleRCSFX (i.e. add @name = ModuleRCSFX to each ModuleRCS node) and set the ModuleEngineConfigs to type = ModuleRCSFX (instead of ModuleRCS). Or wait a bit, and I'll have it out soon. :)

Also, for everyone, I've made some adjustments to the main config: tweaked the KOSMOS engines, added Methalox as a fuel type for the KSLO and B9 (rocket) engines, and replaced any engine using MonoPropellant to use Hydrazine. This should be released with the updated RCS configs soon. Once the RCS config is finished, I'll be releasing a config to (hopefully) catch any MonoPropellant tank in a part (i.e. command pods) and switch it to hydrazine. Makes it easier to use the stockalike RCS config, IMO.

As always, let me know if you've found any good engines that need a config.

Edited by Raptor831
Clarity

The RCS config beta shows the fuel all rcs fuel configurations with "unknown thrust" in the editor window (RMB/"More Info" showing the module details) for me. Is this typical?

It's typical for me. The RCS works properly, to my knowledge. The thrust is generally less than 1 for any of those RCS pods, so I don't know if the display renders that low. I believe the standard fuel for those is hydrazine, which comes out to like 0.48 thrust in-game. If it's rounding to the nearest integer, then it'll come up with zero. Heck, the helium thrusters operate at something like 0.005 kN!

Also, I was going to release the updated configs (RCS/engines) tonight, but hoojiwana had to go and release a new version of RLA Stockalike. :wink: Have most of those in the config new, but I need to test them to make sure first.

You definitely need to be using ModuleRCSFX. ModuleRCS is quite literally broken when using PROPELLANT nodes: only one direction of a thrusterpack will fire.

You can distribute it with this if you like. Just make sure to keep it updated off my fork.

You definitely need to be using ModuleRCSFX. ModuleRCS is quite literally broken when using PROPELLANT nodes: only one direction of a thrusterpack will fire.

You can distribute it with this if you like. Just make sure to keep it updated off my fork.

The "Unknown Thrust" is occurring on both ModuleRCS and ModuleRCSFX, I believe. But, it doesn't seem to be the rounding errors like I suggested before. I'll check it out some more and see if I'm doing something silly with the configs.

And thanks for the offer for distribution. Would make things a bit easier on this end. :)

Ok, configs are updated. Updated the engines config with the new RLA (except for the new arcjet and resitojet), in addition to the previously posted changes. Also, "released" the RCS config, which now utilizes ModuleRCSFX instead of the stock version. The ModuleRCSFX.dll is included in the download, since Nathan offered that. Link to the repository is on the OP, and it's up to date as of this evening. If you have ModuleRCSFX from Realism Overhaul, you probably won't need it, but it's there just in case, since most of us who use the stockalike engines probably aren't using RO. :wink:

There shouldn't be any weirdness, but let me know if something crops up.

Is there any reason why the kspx ntr isn't covered by the configs? I know it was among the engines and tanks that were deprecated from Realfuels; apparently it wasn't migrated? Not that I can't just pull it from an old version of realfuels, but everytime things update, it's a pain to have to keep a separate folder just for that.

Is there any reason why the kspx ntr isn't covered by the configs? I know it was among the engines and tanks that were deprecated from Realfuels; apparently it wasn't migrated? Not that I can't just pull it from an old version of realfuels, but everytime things update, it's a pain to have to keep a separate folder just for that.

Whoops, must have missed that one. Next update I'll make sure to include that one.

Configs are updated to include the KSPX NTR engine. Also, to follow the new mod rules, I've added License.txt files to both downloads. License hasn't changed, however.

As always, let me know if you find bugs, or have suggestions for the config.

Since your screenshot is now working:

You should be seeing the RAPIER using LiquidOxygen for both modes. It's in the Jet_modularEngines.cfg found in the current download. Try redownloading the most current engine configs and install them all to be sure. If that doesn't work, grab the logfile and post a link to that here and I'll see if I can find out anything.

One quick question: Is there any way to get Engineer / MJ 2 DV readouts in the VAB fixed with the SRB throttleability change? Reason I ask is I'm currently running into an issue whereby any KW SRBs I use (stock behavior: minimum 50% thrust; throttleable [in the VAB] from 50% to 100%) are showing the stock behavior DV readouts (i.e. they're still working off the stock scale of 50% to 100%). I won't go into my preference of stock over this change but not having to swap to the launch pad then back to the VAB to get the correct readings is rather tedious.

Correction Last: MJ2 is functioning (when MJ2 is functioning); engineer is not. Possibly an issue with the variable thrust with regards to SL density

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

PSA: I've put the configs up on GitHub, to make changes easier to track, and for ease of collaboration (should anyone want to add anything).

One quick question: Is there any way to get Engineer / MJ 2 DV readouts in the VAB fixed with the SRB throttleability change? Reason I ask is I'm currently running into an issue whereby any KW SRBs I use (stock behavior: minimum 50% thrust; throttleable [in the VAB] from 50% to 100%) are showing the stock behavior DV readouts (i.e. they're still working off the stock scale of 50% to 100%). I won't go into my preference of stock over this change but not having to swap to the launch pad then back to the VAB to get the correct readings is rather tedious.

Correction Last: MJ2 is functioning (when MJ2 is functioning); engineer is not. Possibly an issue with the variable thrust with regards to SL density

Well, I did check on my install with MJ2 and it seemed to be functioning fine. Which you seem to have noticed on your own while I was testing. :) IIRC, MJ2 had to have some specific code added to calculate the proper thrust and dV, due to RF's variable thrust. So, you're probably right about that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.