R/C Space Flight

MarkusA380

The idea:

Everybody knows R/C model flight. It's a widely spread hobby, practiced by thousands.

But what about takeing R/C model flight to the next level? To space, maybe?

There are, of course, many problems connected to such an idea, for example the legal aspects.

But for now, let's overlook that.

To make it clear, I am not talking about really going to space. This would be too expencive and you would need huge vessels, nothing that fits into the trunk of a normal car. But what about a rocket-propelled spaceplane which can reach heights of about 100000 ft (30480 m) ?

I know about the team that built a rocket that reached that height, but it was a rocket, not a spaceplane. Nothing reusable.

The project (maybe):

I was think about building such a plane, 2 - 3 meters long and about the same wingspan. It will need relative large wings for a spaceplane, because it has to be able to glide and it's quite small for a plane.

tSeOkBm.jpg

The first model, this is what it will probably look like. Looks very similar to the Space Ship One. There is yet no space for an airbreathing engine, though. Maybe it will be added to the upper rear.

The look is not intersting at the moment, it will have to adapt to the practical aspects. It will be propelled with a jet engine like you can buy them in model shops for the first part of the ascent. When either fuel or athmosphere runs out, the rocket engine will be ignited and the second part of the ascent begins. After the burnout of the rocket motor the plane continues flying upwards to its apoapsis.

It will then fall back and start to glide back to the airfield where it came from.

The rocket motor itself should be liquid fueled, for example with oxgen and hydrogen which both can produced far easier than other propellants.

Also, there will be a small gas container with a small flame always burning inside the rocket motors' chamber to be able to (re-) ignite the rocket motor.

Now to the technical aspects: I would use a special r/c control, constructed to send the commands to the space plane even when it is near it's apoapsis.

Also, there should be one or more cameras attached to the vessel, transmitting a good view so that the "pilot" is able to control the plane even when he doesn't see the plane any more. (You get problems seeing R/C planes at about 500 m, believe me)

Any help, designs, ideas or constructive criticism is appreciated!

MarkusA380

Edited by MarkusA380

I think you's probably get bored really quickly once the FAA, the Air Force, the DHS, the FBI, etc. start talking to you about your drones.

Yeah. You can get legal permission in many countries. That's really not the problem.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.