Trouble installing MechJeb 2

Tux

I havent gotten MechJeb 2.2.1.0 to work because as I understand it I need to have Upgrade Toolbar 1.7.1 installed but I cant seem to validate if that installed worked correctly. I do know with both in the GameData directory I still have no tool bar.

For a bit of humor here are my steps in detail. (this is a good example of why I hesitate to install mods)

Here are my steps.

1. Download MechJeb 2.2.1.0 from http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/mechjeb/

2. copy folder 'MechJeb2' to ../GameData

3. Start game

4. look everywhere for side bar in all views of the game.

5. go to youtube to watch videos on how to install MechJeb 2

6. re-read instructions.

7. read all the comments

8. Find out I need Upgrade Toolbar 1.7.1.

9. download from http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863-0-23-5-Toolbar-1-7-1-Common-API-for-draggable-resizable-buttons-toolbar

10. copy 000_Toolbar to ../GameData

11. re-start game....still no toolbar.

12. look at folder structure for 000_Toolbar. Think that perhaps that install is different.

13. fail to find any reference in the article from number 9 which will show me how to install Upgrade Toolbar 1.7.1

14. Make a cup of coffee.

15. sign up for the Kerbal Space Program forums.

16. put in all my information.

17. check email for forum registration.

18. Find this forum section and put in question.

14. Take a nap

• 1 month later...
I think you forgot to put the part on the ship. Search for the AR202 in the Control category

I thought they added MechJeb functionality to all the stock control parts (probe cores, cockpits, capsules, etc.) a while back, so that separate parts were no longer needed for MechJeb to function?

I think you forgot to put the part on the ship. Search for the AR202 in the Control category
I thought they added MechJeb functionality to all the stock control parts (probe cores, cockpits, capsules, etc.) a while back, so that separate parts were no longer needed for MechJeb to function?

The latter is only true if you have a ModuleManager patch specifically written to add MechJeb to all (stock / add-on) parts containing ModuleCommand.

MechJeb does not ship with such a config by default, so you will need to install ModuleManager, and save the following file to GameData, called Add_MechJeb_All_Pods.cfg:

@PART
[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{
MODULE
{
name = MechJebCore
}
}

Do note that if you're in career mode, you may need to unlock certain MechJeb functionality by researching each node in the Tech Tree.

I must confess, it took me a couple of days to work this out too. Tried a reinstall, watched a bunch of stuff on Youtube, could not work out why I got no MJ menu. Then I noticed some weird part in the control parts section.....

• 1 month later...

I haven't played in a few months. Saw the game had been patched. Went and downloaded the latest mechjeb. Dropped the unzipped folder into gamedata. Started the game. Loaded a previously started sandbox game. Loaded a previously saved rocket with the mechjeb controller installed.

No mechjeb menus/toolbars.

Tried removing mechjeb controller from rocket and reinstalling.

Still no mechjeb menus/toolbars.

Went back online and downloaded the latest mechjeb dev build, 2.3.1.288. Dropped the unzipped folder into game data.

Started the game. Loaded save sandbox game. Loaded rocket.

Still no mechjeb menus/toolbars.

I have been using this mod almost as long as I have been using KSP, and love it. I have never had this much trouble getting it to work.

As a side thought, could this be caused by running dual monitors? When I slide the mouse to the right in-game it goes off the left monitor where the game is running and onto the right monitor...

100% of the "My does not work" since .24 turned out to be an old copy of MJ dll in ksp/plugins or an other strange directory. Open your log and search it for mechjeb2.dll, you ll find the bad one

100% of the "My does not work" since .24 turned out to be an old copy of MJ dll in ksp/plugins or an other strange directory. Open your log and search it for mechjeb2.dll, you ll find the bad one

My apologies, which log am I looking for? The only log I see is in the KSP folder and it's a "changelog" text document that was modified on 11/13/2013.

I did a quick search for "mechjeb2.dll" in the search box of the Windows start menu and only found one file, that had a date of 8/20/2014.

Never mind, found it. Even though it didn't show up via windows search, I was digging around in the different directories and found an old version from last year. Funny thing is, I don't remember putting where I found it...

Oh well, it works again. Thanks for the info and thanks to all who mod, and help in the forums. Love this game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.