[1.2.x] Part Angle Display - including seamless, highly accurate rotation v0.3.2.4

Padishar

I think I badly need to download this. I'm often stifled in my aesthetic pursuits by the 5 degree angle constraints. This opens up so many possibilities!

This is amazing! Ive been wanting more precise angle snapping for ages! 5 degrees just isn't accurate enough!

I love this so much. Here's a demonstration of what difference being able to adjust angles precisely makes.

Glad you like it. Nice job with the "panelling"... :)

Anyone else have any nice screenshots?

Wow Gus that's awesome! Is it easy to use?

Well, it looks like he is using the Alt-WASDQE keys. All you do is set the Pitch+/-, Yaw+/- and Roll+/- to whatever small angle increment you want Alt-WASDQE to use and then use them the same as you would use WASDQE or Shift-WASDQE normally...

Wow Gus that's awesome! Is it easy to use?

Very easy. :)

Well, it looks like he is using the Alt-WASDQE keys. All you do is set the Pitch+/-, Yaw+/- and Roll+/- to whatever small angle increment you want Alt-WASDQE to use and then use them the same as you would use WASDQE or Shift-WASDQE normally...

Exactly. Superb plugin.

I have just uploaded version 0.2.1.0 which totally overrides the standard handling of the part rotation keys allowing the angle increments to be changed and fixing the pitch handling so that the shifted keys go in the same direction as the unshifted ones.

Screenshot update coming soon...

Edit: I also squashed the UI so it doesn't take too much space. Is it too cramped now?

Edited by Padishar

Quick question: when you rotate a part in stock, it's rotated around its original orientation (e.g. if you rotate something by 35 degrees in one direction and then rotate it in another, it will slowly slip out of alignment because it's rotating around how it was originally if you get what I mean?). What I'd love is for rotation to be based around how the part is now.. It's pretty hard to explain without pictures, so if you need some, I'll provide. Anyway, the question: does this plugin do this? Or is it possible to add? Hell, I'll install it only to fix the opposite-rotation-while-using-Shift bug..

Yes, I understand what you mean. The stock behaviour is to rotate about the up, left or forward directions defined in the VAB/SPH building. This plugin currently does the same. I have investigated using the selected part's current up, left and forward vectors instead and will probably add a switch to change between the two modes, absolute (the current method) and relative (the part-relative method). Watch this space...

Does that mean if I have a cylinder aligned at a 45 degree angle relative to the floor of the VAB, that I can cause the part to "roll" while maintaining that 45 degree orientation?

Yep, exactly that...

That's a bit strong, but thanks... ;)

Give it a try and please post your opinion and/or any suggestions you may have...

I'm thinking it could maybe do with a hotkey to toggle "Part-relative" mode, but then, is non-"Part-relative" mode any real use anymore...?

I see in one of the 0.24 vids that the default orientation of parts in the VAB has changed (rolled by 90 degrees) but does anyone know (and can tell) how this has been done (e.g. is the root part simply rolled when it is created or has the whole coordinate system changed) and if anything else about part rotation has changed (e.g. if the pitch/yaw/roll now work around different axes)? Hopefully the rotation by 90 degrees wont need any changes in the plugin but if other things have been fixed/changed then some tweaks may be required...

Well, this appears to work fine in 0.24 but, while testing it, I have noticed an issue in the SPH where the reported roll and yaw angles are swapped. This doesn't really affect anything but I will release a fix for it shortly built against the 0.24 assemblies.

Oh how I have wished for something just like this!!! I have had a heck of a time trying to align landing gear on my space planes, and this is what came to mind for a mod request or developer update. How did this go unnoticed by me for so long? I shall promptly install this mod and hope my landing gear insanity goes away! :)

Looks very nice! One more thing that would be nice is if it could snap parts precisely aligned with the VAB or SPH, primarily to ensure wheels are aligned dead nuts straight with the axis of the vehicle - and hopefully make aircraft track straight down the runway.

Something I've been wanting since .21 which is the first version (aside from the current demo) that I used. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52288-Rover-wheel-alignment

Also nice to see that .24 finally fixes rotating the rockets 90 degrees from VAB to launchpad.

Ah, but what *is* the axis of the vehicle? World +Y? The root part's +Y? Some control part's +Y? ;)

It might be nice if you could auto-rotate to align with *world XYZ* however (as displayed by Snjo's Wheel Alignment module). (Galane, this may well be what you meant)

Yes, a mode where the displayed angles are relative to the building rather than to the default orientation of the part (and buttons to reset the individual axes to 0) would be helpful and I do plan to do it at some point fairly soon but I have some other things that are rather more urgent so it may not be for a couple of weeks or more...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.