[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Nice! I like it.

Interesting this wouldn't be possible (I think) before the new editor.

To be honest, most of the time I forget about the new editor features altogether. I've spent so long building craft without them that I just can't get it through my head that it would be easier to use them. I do use part clipping, but it's been there for ages. Other than that, I could probably have built this or something extremely similar back in Alpha.

Where did the name integrale tre come from? Also, why was the original version called "Venus"?

"wholemeal" (as in farina integrale) lander version three.

Venus? It starts with a V, so would load after the squad folder :)

New LK Stoof

I think new colour scheme, is a little more playful than the original monotone.

Should I be more conservative, or push on?

Also, new LK include Blok-D.

e127c6068e.jpg

Also the new exhaust assembly, as yet untextured.

753a440403.jpg

Edit: More "safe" colourscheme.

c713b841be.jpg

0e4d8ad796.jpg

Edited by Beale

It's hard to judge the part without seeing the landing portion attached. To my eyes, that light mustard green/yellow is rather ugly. It doesn't fit with the Tantares theme. I'm sure that you've seen this page, but if not you may find the pictures helpful.

It's hard to judge the part without seeing the landing portion attached. To my eyes, that light mustard green/yellow is rather ugly. It doesn't fit with the Tantares theme. I'm sure that you've seen this page, but if not you may find the pictures helpful.

Thanks for the link, hadn't thought to check Russian space web.

Lighter "mustard" / gold.

c9d109d5ce.jpg

d79627ae8c.jpg

Hmm, I already dislike the way the Soyuz instrument section is white while the rest of the craft is gray, so I can't say I really like this color scheme. The models, however, are gorgeous as always!

I still play with colours:

95310d862d.jpg

The Soyuz service section is the way it is, as the entire Tantares is based off the single image.

7eecac1d55.jpg

Argh, my PC crashed, so I lost my writings, so that's why there is a large setback in posting, but my crush was first to wish me a happy birthday, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

I love the new LK propulsion block, but I must admit alternative textures would be awesome too, I love the early-style green Tantares, modern black, SATP-like white one. I hope one day they will return. :)

I've always wondered if it's possible to have the hatch for the Soyuz descent module on the top like it is on real spacecraft. The one thing it might be needed for: crew transfer, has been added recently, and it can still be accessed to bring up the window for EVA/Transfer even if it were on the top. All EVAs from Soyuz were done from the Orbital module anyway, and Kerbals would be able to exit the DM after landing normally.

I've always wondered if it's possible to have the hatch for the Soyuz descent module on the top like it is on real spacecraft. The one thing it might be needed for: crew transfer, has been added recently, and it can still be accessed to bring up the window for EVA/Transfer even if it were on the top. All EVAs from Soyuz were done from the Orbital module anyway, and Kerbals would be able to exit the DM after landing normally.

Argh, I wanted to give you rep for this, but Thomas the Forum Engine says I must spread it out. :c

Very legitimate point, since a major rework seems to be begun.

Argh, my PC crashed, so I lost my writings, so that's why there is a large setback in posting, but my crush was first to wish me a happy birthday, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

I love the new LK propulsion block, but I must admit alternative textures would be awesome too, I love the early-style green Tantares, modern black, SATP-like white one. I hope one day they will return. :)

Bah, my PC is nearing the end of its life. Do not be surprised if I suddenly disappear for a while... :sealed:

Many thanks!

Alternate textures: I have "good" news.

I can use .PNGs, much easier to mass-produce, you just need to delete the .MBM and place .PNG in its place (Which is hopefully not so bad, now that crafts are only to 1-2 textures each).

Which also: My texture repo that I have in my signature there, you are perfectly able to do this currently (Though I will still do them, eventually), they are in PSD format for easy recolouring. If a texture is missing from the repo (I.E. a lot of them) feel free to request me.

Very good idea!

It was not possible when Tantares was first produced, but the game has changed quite a lot!

I really like this idea.

And yes the Tantares itself is due an overhaul (long due).

Actually - I would love to hear what people would like in a revamped Soyuz, I have my own ideas, but input is good.

Likewise, the great forum engine will not let me rep you either :wink:

aaa8a0408d.jpg

76bae2ca06.jpg

176277c2b9.jpg

Edited by Beale

I added the Kvant-2 module(TKS) to my MIRalike station this evening. The cargo block holds a TAC life support container, water purifier, air purifier, and a large battery. I previously docked a stack of these same things on the end behind the Kvant-1 - you can see it behind the Progress-M. At some point in the future I will tug the external TAC supplies back to Kerbin with the Progress-M and then send a new Progress-M up.

Still need to send a Priroda, second TKS (Kristall substitute), and Spektr.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Regarding the revamped soyuz, I would suggest if at all possible without dependencies, the addition of landing jets. it would add a touch of realism, but I don't think it's feasible without dependencies. Also, I would suggest a LOK/LK specific docking port that matched the style of the RCS control unit on top of the LK. I would also suggest you make your own Soyuz launch clamps, simply because the real ones are incredibly unique to Soyuz and the stock ones can only go so far. I still suggest that everything is bigger, but that's just me. Some people are fine having parts to match the size of the Kerbals. I believe it is appropriate for the Game, but I still like big things. Thanks for reading, Beale!

I added the Kvant-2 module(TKS) to my MIRalike station this evening. The cargo block holds a TAC life support container, water purifier, air purifier, and a large battery. I previously docked a stack of these same things on the end behind the Kvant-1 - you can see it behind the Progress-M. At some point in the future I will tug the external TAC supplies back to Kerbin with the Progress-M and then send a new Progress-M up.

Still need to send a Priroda, second TKS (Kristall substitute), and Spektr.

http://imgur.com/a/tn7fp

Nice, I love seeing MIR(s). :)

How do you find the TAC config for Tantares? It's balance has been an ongoing debate.

Regarding the revamped soyuz, I would suggest if at all possible without dependencies, the addition of landing jets. it would add a touch of realism, but I don't think it's feasible without dependencies. Also, I would suggest a LOK/LK specific docking port that matched the style of the RCS control unit on top of the LK. I would also suggest you make your own Soyuz launch clamps, simply because the real ones are incredibly unique to Soyuz and the stock ones can only go so far. I still suggest that everything is bigger, but that's just me. Some people are fine having parts to match the size of the Kerbals. I believe it is appropriate for the Game, but I still like big things. Thanks for reading, Beale!

Things will stay the same size, that, I cannot change :wink:

Landing jets - Could use mini module SRBS, but then that is only useful on Kerbin. Have to look into it...

LOK port - could do for sure, it would complete a set nicely.

Launch clamps - I will have to look into these also, as I have no idea how they are made.

Many thanks for the input :)

Moar

98bc253eba.jpg

85904d02de.jpg

3eeb73e401.jpg

025f51037b.jpg

Plenty enough space for landing legs + Blok D

139c602b51.jpg

Edited by Beale

Landing rockets could possibly be done with RCS ports. It wouldn't be solid fuel, of course, but it would be easy to use, easy to make, and dependency free. I have used the linear RCS ports as soft landing thrusters several times.

Landing rockets could possibly be done with RCS ports. It wouldn't be solid fuel, of course, but it would be easy to use, easy to make, and dependency free. I have used the linear RCS ports as soft landing thrusters several times.

Good point!

Maybe it is harder, people will have to land manually, it is hard to know when to start your soft landing.

Eh, it may not be so easy dependency free

IIRC Fizzcrank wrote a guide to making launch towers/clamps somewhere on the forums. You could also ask him and NecroBones about how they made theirs......

Found it!! Here's the link : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76136-FASA-Launch-tower-tutorial

Edited by Railgunner2160

Actually - I would love to hear what people would like in a revamped Soyuz, I have my own ideas, but input is good.

Concerning the landing - I'm not sure how Landatron does it, but maybe it could just be hacked together using the Parachute module. Set a (very) low "opening" altitude, delete the parachute (or make it invisible), add 'splosive flame. Could it work?

Otherwise I think the soyuz is pretty much there. Maybe slightly tweak the OM's shape so it's a little closer to cylindrical than spherical (it can be seen in some ref pictures but not others - maybe there were different OM versions?

I think maybe the RCS ports could use a re-think. Those in the bottom of the SM are only monodirectional (perhaps retro-facing RCS ports could also be integrated in the "skirt"?), and while the dedicated small RCS ports look OK, they look rather futuristic being nozzle-bell-less (heh). I think adding small bells would fit with the style more.

Maybe the little docking antenna should fold forward instead of backward? That'd make it easier to fit in the front of the OM without overlapping with the OM body.