[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

IIRC Fizzcrank wrote a guide to making launch towers/clamps somewhere on the forums. You could also ask him and NecroBones about how they made theirs......

Found it!! Here's the link : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76136-FASA-Launch-tower-tutorial

Great! Many thanks.

Meh. HGR Soyuz has the braking thrusters on its DM. I don't find it adds all that much IMHO.

I'm starting to think it may be time to split up tantares into more packs with so many parts being added to it.

The landing thrusters are probably a no.

Any thoughts on how to split it? Interesting.

Concerning the landing - I'm not sure how Landatron does it, but maybe it could just be hacked together using the Parachute module. Set a (very) low "opening" altitude, delete the parachute (or make it invisible), add 'splosive flame. Could it work?

Otherwise I think the soyuz is pretty much there. Maybe slightly tweak the OM's shape so it's a little closer to cylindrical than spherical (it can be seen in some ref pictures but not others - maybe there were different OM versions?

I think maybe the RCS ports could use a re-think. Those in the bottom of the SM are only monodirectional (perhaps retro-facing RCS ports could also be integrated in the "skirt"?), and while the dedicated small RCS ports look OK, they look rather futuristic being nozzle-bell-less (heh). I think adding small bells would fit with the style more.

Maybe the little docking antenna should fold forward instead of backward? That'd make it easier to fit in the front of the OM without overlapping with the OM body.

I don't think that it worth it to make landing rockets. It works with parachute just fine; nerfing the chute in order to encourage use of these rockets would just over-complicate the landing.

I do agree with TheBedla on RCS, though.

Thanks for the feedback!

RCS ports, you have something in mind like this?

c0c4dda242.png

I.E. no fore thruster, that's handled by the Soyuz SM.

Beale, will you make Venera's orbiter and reentry shields too? (Not just the lander?)

At some point, yeah sure :)

While that does add more realism, I think switching between craft constantly during dockint to change forward velocity would be very frustrating. I'd advise against it.

No no, you have misunderstood.

I mean like this:

9e9d85e3e8.png

Tragedy strikes my MIRalike station! Beale, the TST docking ports (probes) still explode violently when undocking.

1. I undock my Soyuz. Time to send two guys home. Kaboom. The orbital module vaporizes.

2. The crew module is luckily thrown into a sub-75km orbit. It orbits Kerbin a few times before landing safely.

3. The remaining crew member escapes on a TKS.

4. The damaged MIR plummets towards Kerbin.

5. Another TST port explodes, incinerating the Hamal orbital module and some of the TAC Life support modules.

6. Most of the station crashes into Kerbin and explodes. The Hamal control block and its engine are all that survive.

I'm going to use stock docking parts from now on. Sigh. Time to design a MK2 version of the MIR...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Tragedy strikes my MIRalike station! Beale, the TST docking ports (probes) still explode violently when undocking.

1. I undock my Soyuz. Time to send two guys home. Kaboom. The orbital module vaporizes.

2. The crew module is luckily thrown into a sub-75km orbit. It orbits Kerbin a few times before landing safely.

3. The remaining crew member escapes on a TKS.

4. The damaged MIR plummets towards Kerbin.

5. Another TST port explodes, incinerating the Hamal orbital module and some of the TAC Life support modules.

6. Most of the station crashes into Kerbin and explodes. The Hamal control block and its engine are all that survive.

I'm going to use stock docking parts from now on. Sigh. Time to design a MK2 version of the MIR...

http://imgur.com/a/Fc39w

Argh! That's horrible.

Really sorry for this, I must look into it.

I have a sneaking suspicion what is cause it.

Atleast you have got a bit of a story out of it, if a frustrating one at that.

Edit: I should explain my suspicion: I believe the docking transforms are aligned incorrectly, causing this behaviour.

To confirm this, I believe you will not have problems if using the TKS Docking port, ah, but maybe you will want to use stock (APAS-alike?) to be safe.

Edited by Beale

Argh! That's horrible.

Really sorry for this, I must look into it.

I have a sneaking suspicion what is cause it.

Atleast you have got a bit of a story out of it, if a frustrating one at that.

Edit: I should explain my suspicion: I believe the docking transforms are aligned incorrectly, causing this behaviour.

To confirm this, I believe you will not have problems if using the TKS Docking port, ah, but maybe you will want to use stock (APAS-alike?) to be safe.

No need to apologise! Explosions and other unexpected failures are part of the space exploration experience. :wink:

No need to apologise! Explosions and other unexpected failures are part of the space exploration experience. :wink:

Well, after some rigorous testing, it's fixed :)

As far as I can tell, tried multiple docking and undockings with different craft.

Also, the FOBOS docking port should now be less buggy.

Basically had to just rotate the dockingNode transform, and make it flush with the collider.

The attraction is still rather "hard" but I have no idea how to alter that, or even if you can - If anyone can help with this, I'd be real gratitude.

8bd346234b.jpg

Tantares 14.1 Release

14/01/2015

• Added Fomalhaut, a Venera lander clone.
  • Fixed docking port behaviour.

Edited by Beale

Well, after some rigorous testing, it's fixed :)

As far as I can tell, tried multiple docking and undockings with different craft.

Also, the FOBOS docking port should now be less buggy.

Basically had to just rotate the dockingNode transform, and make it flush with the collider.

The attraction is still rather "hard" but I have no idea how to alter that, or even if you can - If anyone can help with this, I'd be real gratitude.

http://puu.sh/evwVh/8bd346234b.jpg

Tantares 14.1 Release

14/01/2015

• Added Fomalhaut, a Venera lander clone.
  • Fixed docking port behaviour.

Wow. Thank you for the quick fix.

Coincidentally, the ammonia sensor in the ISS went off this afternoon and the crew evacuated to the Russian part. The American/International part is sealed up. They may have to vent the American portion of the ISS, patch the leak, and send an emergency ammonia shipment up for the cooling system.

Why not the whole Venera?

I was really looking forward to this.

Nevermind not gonna download now, sorry I am going to wait for energia update. (I am not angry just waiting for an update that will add enough content to fill requirements for my crazy ideas.)

Anyway, I am waiting for the rest of Venera to use it, because I am terrible at recreating orbiters, especialy those complex as venera.(Lol, just noticed that when you do whole Venera you will have Vega done too!)

Anyway your work is beautiful and the Venera is really awesome!

Sorry for bad english

Wow. Thank you for the quick fix.

Coincidentally, the ammonia sensor in the ISS went off this afternoon and the crew evacuated to the Russian part. The American/International part is sealed up. They may have to vent the American portion of the ISS, patch the leak, and send an emergency ammonia shipment up for the cooling system.

I think you would agree docking is a bit important for the Soyuz, eh? :)

The ISS problem, quite a surprise! I usually keep up with this type of news.

Why not the whole Venera?

I was really looking forward to this.

Nevermind not gonna download now, sorry I am going to wait for energia update. (I am not angry just waiting for an update that will add enough content to fill requirements for my crazy ideas.)

Anyway, I am waiting for the rest of Venera to use it, because I am terrible at recreating orbiters, especialy those complex as venera.(Lol, just noticed that when you do whole Venera you will have Vega done too!)

Anyway your work is beautiful and the Venera is really awesome!

Sorry for bad english

While I am releasing this quick fix for the ports, might as well include the Venera in its current form. The rest will follow in increment.

For Energia, it is a separate mod AB Launchers.

I think you would agree docking is a bit important for the Soyuz, eh? :)

The ISS problem, quite a surprise! I usually keep up with this type of news.

While I am releasing this quick fix for the ports, might as well include the Venera in its current form. The rest will follow in increment.

For Energia, it is a separate mod AB Launchers.

Ok thanks, can't wait for the rest, cuz this mod is the best!

BUG:

Probodobodyne FOBO manufacturer name has a period at the end, no other stock Probodobodyne parts do, this affects (I think) the FOBO appearing with the manufacturer filter.

Good find!

Will fix.

Ok thanks, can't wait for the rest, cuz this mod is the best!

Many thanks :)

Leg

afa645beb7.jpg

Edited by Beale

Boy, you should be happy Djolox, you finally got that Vostok third stage you waited so long for. Heh.:wink:

I guess you are right, I exploited it to the bone! (Wanted it so hardly because Luna missions are the best with authentic equipment, lel)

Aforementioned kinks are being ironed out rather well...

bfb1a6b8b6.jpg

e94fb9f1f7.jpg

b2e2749dfa.jpg

Post separation, things still stay attached.

62a36fa45d.jpg

ead6a6aac5.jpg

It uses the old landing leg system, so it is a little "stiff"

But from what I can tell of the real LK, it didn't have a sophisticated landing suspension.

3632da94a8.jpg

568ecd4716.jpg

d3ca18ec67.jpg

The separation and thrust actually flip it over :sealed:

55211c4394.jpg

Edited by Beale

Aforementioned kinks are being ironed out rather well...

http://puu.sh/ew87n/bfb1a6b8b6.jpg

http://puu.sh/ew8a7/e94fb9f1f7.jpg

http://puu.sh/ew8cr/b2e2749dfa.jpg

Post separation, things still stay attached.

http://puu.sh/ew8eF/62a36fa45d.jpg

http://puu.sh/ew8gZ/ead6a6aac5.jpg

It uses the old landing leg system, so it is a little "stiff"

But from what I can tell of the real LK, it didn't have a sophisticated landing suspension.

http://puu.sh/ew8sf/3632da94a8.jpg

http://puu.sh/ewdJl/568ecd4716.jpg

http://puu.sh/ewdM7/d3ca18ec67.jpg

The separation and thrust actually flip it over :sealed:

http://puu.sh/ewdPb/55211c4394.jpg

Nice!

As for flipping: set decoupler force to zero, that might help somewhat.

Also: is that Kerbal standing "in the air"? It's kinda hard to tell from this screenshot.

Nice!

As for flipping: set decoupler force to zero, that might help somewhat.

Also: is that Kerbal standing "in the air"? It's kinda hard to tell from this screenshot.

Nope, the Kerbal is on the floor, the collider is working well.

The flipping issue: I've figured it out, the collider is not so perfect, the larger LK tank clips a little and gets ejected upward, even at 0 force.

Smaller 1.25m and 0.625m parts just fall through.

Of course like any other part, the leg base will be affected by thrust and blown about, though it weighs 0.5t now, so not so much.

So I may have to fix that a bit.

Will there be a special ladder part for LK, or will we just have to make do with the stock ladders?

Eh, I do not see a real need for some special ladders...

I know maybe it is nice, but...

Edit: The collider issues are seeming impossible to fix...

Not looking good for the future of the LK...

Edited by Beale

Noooooo...

How does the Bobcat lander solve this problem?

I wouldn't be the one to ask, but it could be a plugin, which would be very unhelpful.

I've been trying to go about it in the same way of the Bobcat LK (Which is plugin free).

As Bobcat's works 100% of the time my LK ascent stage is often getting stuck, needing the player to "wiggle" it to loosen the grip and takeoff - not good at all.

Or, I can "tighten" the colliders, but then on decouple, the LK is launched about 5 metres in air, works 100%, but looks and feels a bit "hacky".