[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

THIS! I was dreaming and hoping to see it! I can open a hype railway company with trains for PPTS and N-1! :D
Beautiful work Beale!

And the N-I! Good Lord the N-I!

(Then again, I did actually adapt for myself all N-I parts I could possibly ever need...)

Oh, Beale have surrended under the onslaught of N-1 fans. Where have gone LookToSXT Guard when the castle was sieged? Alas, poor Beale.By the way, SXT N-1 in my LOK-LK recreating attempt was very realistic - without adding tons of verniers and reaction wheels it flied mostly in the ground. I hope your N-1 would do the same!
OMG... the N-1 L3!

Well, I can take it is fairly popular? :)

Yay!! 400 pages!!!

That was really friggin' quick. When did we pass 300 again?

Anyway, congrats. That new TKS stuff looks good!

So will this total orbital crafts revamp be dumped on us in 1.0, or before? Considering the mound of features they have planned, it might take a while.

A milestone I guess. :)

The crafts should come pre-1.0.

And many thanks!

More TKS:

d4b305f8ad.jpg

fe69566533.jpg

b429db4a1a.jpg

The cargo bay is henceforth the service module, with a bit of fuel and electric.

Texture 1 complete :)

784609c861.jpg

Edited by Beale

So, since you're working on the cargo bay, a question.

I tried using it a few times, and wasn't able to get things to attach correctly to the inside. It's hard to explain, but for example none of the fuel tanks or docking ports would "snap" to the top or bottom inside the docking port.

Was I doing something wrong, or is that something that can be changed in the next revision of the part?

(My intention was to put a small fuel tank or RCS tank inside to use as a service module, and/or as storage for small box-sat type missions)

So, since you're working on the cargo bay, a question.

I tried using it a few times, and wasn't able to get things to attach correctly to the inside. It's hard to explain, but for example none of the fuel tanks or docking ports would "snap" to the top or bottom inside the docking port.

Was I doing something wrong, or is that something that can be changed in the next revision of the part?

(My intention was to put a small fuel tank or RCS tank inside to use as a service module, and/or as storage for small box-sat type missions)

Were you holding ALT while doing so? (ALT will stop accidental surface attach.)

Cargo bay looks incredibly slick! In the last one, I had difficulty with the top and bottom attachment nodes, I can't really describe what the issue was without being in game. Do things attach to the inside logically in this version? (radially and nodally?)

The black and yellow 'caution' stripes stand out quite a bit... Are they final? I do like that there's some definition there as opposed to the last one, where if you didn't right click it, you may not have known there was a bay there. :P

Then N-1.

N-1 INTENSIFIES...

Cargo bay looks incredibly slick! In the last one, I had difficulty with the top and bottom attachment nodes, I can't really describe what the issue was without being in game. Do things attach to the inside logically in this version? (radially and nodally?)

The black and yellow 'caution' stripes stand out quite a bit... Are they final? I do like that there's some definition there as opposed to the last one, where if you didn't right click it, you may not have known there was a bay there. :P

The cargo bay problem, I may need a screenshot or something if it is a common problem, I have never had any issues (using ALT).

The stripes: Yes they are a bit... vibrant.

May just replace with a sliding rail like texture.

d69ccaa046.jpg

c80d720486.jpg

Edit: or this...

27a7622825.jpg

Edited by Beale

There are only two real-life spacecraft that have similarly designed cargo/experiment bays. HTV, and the Apollo SM. They both had EVA grab bars around the perimeter of the bay. That would probably hurt the poly-count quite a bit though, and that's what Nebula's EVA hand-rails are for anyways.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to visually represent that the door slides open...

What about a small red handle on the far side (modeled or painted on) with some cyrillic for 'open sesame' or what have you, and some scuff marks and deep shadows on the opposite side? Something that would get across the idea thatthese doors are made for opening'... I like your sliding rail idea better. That would help with that illusion.

I feel like the caution lines don't fit with the rest of your art style.

EDIT: The gray looks a bit better.

(By the way, I'm not really familiar with this forum and everything, but. Beale, how do you do this point thingy which I see in notifications? Because it's not fair that I get it for basically just writing opinions/public domain information, but not giving it to you for making - and improving! - such a great mod)

There are only two real-life spacecraft that have similarly designed cargo/experiment bays. HTV, and the Apollo SM. They both had EVA grab bars around the perimeter of the bay. That would probably hurt the poly-count quite a bit though, and that's what Nebula's EVA hand-rails are for anyways.

I'm trying to figure out a better way to visually represent that the door slides open...

What about a small red handle on the far side (modeled or painted on) with some cyrillic for 'open sesame' or what have you, and some scuff marks and deep shadows on the opposite side? Something that would get across the idea thatthese doors are made for opening'... I like your sliding rail idea better. That would help with that illusion.

I feel like the caution lines don't fit with the rest of your art style.

EDIT: The gray looks a bit better.

I do see what you mean here.

Unfortunately due to the mirroring of some UV spaces, a 3D handle is not easy, as I need a unique UV space to paint on the "shadow" if that makes sense.

So basically - all "hey this moves" needs to be expressed through the texture.

It will be easier to make changes when further modules are made, to see what fits in best.

Also: that decoupler is a placeholder! :)

(By the way, I'm not really familiar with this forum and everything, but. Beale, how do you do this point thingy which I see in notifications? Because it's not fair that I get it for basically just writing opinions/public domain information, but not giving it to you for making - and improving! - such a great mod)

I think you mean the rep button?

It is like: 5309ed3dc7.png

If so - thanks! :)

Edited by Beale

The cargo bay problem, I may need a screenshot or something if it is a common problem, I have never had any issues (using ALT).

The stripes: Yes they are a bit... vibrant.

May just replace with a sliding rail like texture.

http://puu.sh/fcRxH/d69ccaa046.jpg

http://puu.sh/fcRth/c80d720486.jpg

Edit: or this...

http://puu.sh/fcShn/27a7622825.jpg

I prefer the lowest one, it's more subtle, and closer to the whole ensemble style! And the "óру÷þòþù" is an adjective, the noun you are looking for (I guess you translated the word "cargo") is "óру÷". :)

I'll give that a shot, thanks. I assumed it was some oversight on my part.

Squad so not make their editor buttons very clear :)

I prefer the lowest one, it's more subtle, and closer to the whole ensemble style! And the "óру÷þòþù" is an adjective, the noun you are looking for (I guess you translated the word "cargo") is "óру÷". :)

Bah Google translate!

Many thanks!

Just to be clear, we are going to get a double sized crew cabin to use instead of the cargo bay + single crew cabin, right?

Yeah, its already model. But, the cargo bay was a more fun prospect to texture given my limited free time :D

Well, I can take it is fairly popular? :)

I'm actually revamping the N1 parts in SXT at the moment, if you'd be interested in collaborating on that, or even using some of the models as a base for a Tantares version.

Trying to re-shape it so it's a closer match to the actual ones, and I've done things like added the gimbal back in (currently tabbed out I believe) so it doesn't do the old one-two-explode routine so often, etc.

Personally I'm not convinced Tantares needs an N1...

Yeah, I like Lack's one, but I think it will be really good for the sake of self-containment, the mod will be just complete, it's like past (N-1), present (Soyuz, Proton) and future (PPTS and Angara) of Russian space program. It would be possible just to install this mod, Kosmodrome, KER and play, that's all you will need, so complete it would be. That's why I really look forward for N-1 complex. It would complete the mod, only some smaller projects could be made, like (possibly) Lunokhod, Zvezda lunar base or possibly go to other countries projects like human-rated ATV or HTV (AFAIK it was the HOPE project).

I'm actually revamping the N1 parts in SXT at the moment, if you'd be interested in collaborating on that, or even using some of the models as a base for a Tantares version.

Trying to re-shape it so it's a closer match to the actual ones, and I've done things like added the gimbal back in (currently tabbed out I believe) so it doesn't do the old one-two-explode routine so often, etc.

Lack, would it be possible for you to include an alternate texture? Or perhaps a more uniform color scheme rather than the black/white/red that the current model utilizes?

I'm all for Kerbal N1 parts, whether they be part of a Tantares pack, a collaboration, or otherwise.

Lack, would it be possible for you to include an alternate texture? Or perhaps a more uniform color scheme rather than the black/white/red that the current model utilizes?

I'm all for Kerbal N1 parts, whether they be part of a Tantares pack, a collaboration, or otherwise.

How do you mean, like the left-most version in the picture I linked to? Actually, I am currently leaning towards the far left-hand side one (linked to again below, also), rather than the old white/black/orange, or the middle-ground of the the centre version.

KoDlVlH.png

So current plans; I'm basing it on the below, although I haven't yet re-skined the Block B tank yet.

s9TKOOI.jpg

Blocks A and B will be black and the combined tank/engines resized closer to the actual, since it wasn't quite right before (Block A is re-shaped, block B is re-done so that once the 8xNK-15V cluster is fitted, it matches the correct shape).

Block V will remain roughly the same, but I'm going to lop the bottom off, and make that the sheath for the 4xNK-21s, so when you have the two together it will form the right shape (rather than being too long, as in the right-most version in the image above).

So the final shape will be that in the centre version, which closely matches the silhouette of the N-1 (95%, not a 100%. But it does match satisfyingly well to the sizes in the accepted sizes in KSP. Block V[2.5-3.75m], Block B[3.75m-5m], Block A[5m-6.25m] then 7m-ish at the bottom of the engine).

Where can I download the Soyuz Beta?

EDIT: I built my space station in career mode. It is called StarBucks Station.

http://i.imgur.com/hTOM6P8.png

Cool station! Kinda futuristic / retro with the inflatable :)

Beta downloads below!

Personally I'm not convinced Tantares needs an N1...
Yeah, I like Lack's one, but I think it will be really good for the sake of self-containment, the mod will be just complete, it's like past (N-1), present (Soyuz, Proton) and future (PPTS and Angara) of Russian space program. It would be possible just to install this mod, Kosmodrome, KER and play, that's all you will need, so complete it would be. That's why I really look forward for N-1 complex. It would complete the mod, only some smaller projects could be made, like (possibly) Lunokhod, Zvezda lunar base or possibly go to other countries projects like human-rated ATV or HTV (AFAIK it was the HOPE project).

It's fair not everyone will like it. But like always, each craft will be split by folder, so it will be easy enough to delete :)

I think Niemand303 has got it with why I've decided on it, having a full launcher 'family'.

Is there a download link for the _current_ available betas? I found a few buried in the thread but I'm not confident which is/are the latest.

Soyuz Beta

TKS Beta

These are up to date :)

I've put on the front page too!

I have something that might be useful in this thread for a while...

http://i.imgur.com/XkVToWM.gif

A 'while' might really be a while :wink:

But, very cute gif, I love it!

How do you mean, like the left-most version in the picture I linked to? Actually, I am currently leaning towards the far left-hand side one (linked to again below, also), rather than the old white/black/orange, or the middle-ground of the the centre version.

http://i.imgur.com/KoDlVlH.png

So current plans; I'm basing it on the below, although I haven't yet re-skined the Block B tank yet.

http://i.imgur.com/s9TKOOI.jpg

Blocks A and B will be black and the combined tank/engines resized closer to the actual, since it wasn't quite right before (Block A is re-shaped, block B is re-done so that once the 8xNK-15V cluster is fitted, it matches the correct shape).

Block V will remain roughly the same, but I'm going to lop the bottom off, and make that the sheath for the 4xNK-21s, so when you have the two together it will form the right shape (rather than being too long, as in the right-most version in the image above).

So the final shape will be that in the centre version, which closely matches the silhouette of the N-1 (95%, not a 100%. But it does match satisfyingly well to the sizes in the accepted sizes in KSP. Block V[2.5-3.75m], Block B[3.75m-5m], Block A[5m-6.25m] then 7m-ish at the bottom of the engine).

I am quite fond of the stripes! (Though myself I'd probably be more conservative grey). :)

Regarding other stuff, PM.