[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

That is a majestic TKS you've got there.

Many thanks! :)

I've also changed the config names a little, to give them more 'GRAU index-y' sounding serial number names...

• SM05B Service Module
  • DE07A Descent Engine
  • OB05A Orbital Block
  • DC03A Descent Capsule

It's a little odd. But I like it.

What are the chances that we will get an escape tower for TKS?

Fairly likely, once I start working on TantaresLV again :)

What are the chances that we will get an escape tower for TKS?

Heh... Joooooke... :D

...right?

The retro-rocket tower doubles as the LAS, right?

If it doesn't currently, could it be configured for a mode in which is just burns all it's fuel really fast for LAS-levels of 'GTFO' acceleration?

TKS looks slick! The half-length RCS tanks will come in mighty handy. :)

Edited by curtquarquesso

I've also changed the config names a little, to give them more 'GRAU index-y' sounding serial number names...

• SM05B Service Module
  • DE07A Descent Engine
  • OB05A Orbital Block
  • DC03A Descent Capsule

It's a little odd. But I like it.

I'd rather prefer old names, since we have now a sorting by alphabet by default in VAB/SPH. :blush:

But I think it will make me use more functionality of the custom menus etc.

Heh... Joooooke... :D

...right?

The retro-rocket tower doubles as the LAS, right?

If it doesn't currently, could it be configured for a mode in which is just burns all it's fuel really fast for LAS-levels of 'GTFO' acceleration?

TKS looks slick! The half-length RCS tanks will come in mighty handy. :)

No joke eh!

96b663edf6.jpg

It really had a LES. :wink:

The retro tower at the moment is great for powered landings, not sure if that's a great thing, but it's fun, so eh...

Rather than a dual-mode engine, a straight up LES is IMO a better solution.

I am glad the shorter tanks will be useful, they are designed for MIR/ISS modules.

fb41e56c15.jpg

2db721af66.jpg

Also, part welders, please!

57b5208095.jpg

It took me a long time to find a practical use for the TKS's cargo bay (and the TKS in general... I like many parts of the Soviet space program, but the VA/TKS still just looks funky to me). Recently I learned of the many magical things that can be accomplished with "The Claw", yet I couldn't find a clean way of getting it into orbit on a crewed ship that also included a launch escape system.... Enter the Functional Cargo Block:

20150126_ksp0082_claw.jpg

Really glad to see you're revisiting it. I now think we desperately need something like this (and a round 2.5m/3.75m cargo bay) in the stock game.

I'd rather prefer old names, since we have now a sorting by alphabet by default in VAB/SPH. :blush:

But I think it will make me use more functionality of the custom menus etc.

After a quick play test - you're right, its not as easy to find things, hmm

Edit: I will probably just prefix them A0 or such.

It took me a long time to find a practical use for the TKS's cargo bay (and the TKS in general... I like many parts of the Soviet space program, but the VA/TKS still just looks funky to me). Recently I learned of the many magical things that can be accomplished with "The Claw", yet I couldn't find a clean way of getting it into orbit on a crewed ship that also included a launch escape system.... Enter the Functional Cargo Block:

http://0div0.org/images/ksp/20150126_ksp0082_claw.jpg

Really glad to see you're revisiting it. I now think we desperately need something like this (and a round 2.5m/3.75m cargo bay) in the stock game.

That's real nice! Creative way to use it. I hope you find the new one as useful.

Also, I do not blame anyone for not using the TKS, I love it, but it is a very ugly baby, strange sizing and all

Really? Wow. TIL. :)

It'll also make a perfect apollo capsule.

Are you clipping parts to achieve the adapter in the last image, or are you making a proper adapter for it? (What's the weird, custom size you're using again?)

Last image, clipping :)

The weird size: 0.9375 half in between 1.25 and 0.625

There will be proper adapters, but they will be conical, like all the stock ones.

Edited by Beale

Also, I do not blame anyone for not using the TKS, I love it, but it is a very ugly baby, strange sizing and all

I don't know - I think it's kind of elegant in a freight train kind of way. I guess it is very distinct, and I like that about spacecraft. That's probably why I like Soviet designs so much; not to say that conical isn't cool.

TKS Beta 1

Got those thrusters done...

So here is a beta of everything so far (Progress, Soyuz and TKS).

What is left to do?

• Adapters for 1.875m and 0.9375m parts.
  • Spektr
  • Docking ports

The 'Vega' folder will be a lot more empty after the update, as I am moving the docking ports and the fixed panels into their respective crafts.

This is potentially craft breaking! Be careful!

57eee91a4a.jpg

Edited by Beale

The nozzles could get a more conic look, and maybe be a bit slimmer too I think. Well, if they aren't oversized RCS thrusters.

But else... WOW

Eh, it is to keep some similarity with the real TKS thrusters, so a bit of chunkiness I feel is good.

But, many thanks! :)

First, this is a great mod and it is stunningly well done, so a huuge thank you to everyone involved!

Having said that, has anyone experienced an issue where parachutes on the TST return capsule would get heating similar to the heatshield, everything being oriented correctly? Using Deadly Reentry 6.4 and 64K, I just had to hyperedit the a capsule to the ground because no matter what reentry profile I chose, the undeployed parachute would burn up without the ablative shielding being anywhere close to doing the same. Effect not reproducible with stock capsules, KSP is 64bit, OS is Linux Ubuntu. Thanks for any help in advance!

Your best bet would be to contact a mod.

Thanks, I've put in a request at the close-a-poll thread :)

I had no idea these things couldn't be deleted by the OP!

First, this is a great mod and it is stunningly well done, so a huuge thank you to everyone involved!

Having said that, has anyone experienced an issue where parachutes on the TST return capsule would get heating similar to the heatshield, everything being oriented correctly? Using Deadly Reentry 6.4 and 64K, I just had to hyperedit the a capsule to the ground because no matter what reentry profile I chose, the undeployed parachute would burn up without the ablative shielding being anywhere close to doing the same. Effect not reproducible with stock capsules, KSP is 64bit, OS is Linux Ubuntu. Thanks for any help in advance!

Your problem:

Do you mean that the capsule is tipping, so the parachute faces forward, or that the parachute is actually suffering heating despite being behind the capsule?

Also, When are you staging your parachute? (Or do you not even have the chance?).

I have played without DR for a while, since 0.90 I have been to lazy to re-install RT2 and DR (+ Enjoying a pretty vanilla career game), I'll try and take a look and see if I have similar problem.

(But basically, maybe the configs are wrong on my end! :sealed: )

The special "Short-but-chubby" TKS variant, on a last ditch attempt to find a habitable planet (Yeah, I have watched Interstellar recently...)

7cb2f7d07a.jpg

bec4d8716b.jpg

Ditched the FGB for a powered landing.

4e34611874.jpg

64df66c974.jpg

78c788e29d.jpg

Edited by Beale

Do you mean that the capsule is tipping, so the parachute faces forward, or that the parachute is actually suffering heating despite being behind the capsule?

Also, When are you deploying your parachute? (Or do you not even have the chance?).

I have played without DR for a while, since 0.90 I have been to lazy to re-install RT2 and DR (+ Enjoying a pretty vanilla career game), I'll try and take a look and see if I have similar problem.

(But basically, maybe the configs are wrong on my end! :sealed: )

Well, that was quick :o

The latter, it is actually orientating itself perfectly as long as FAR is installed. The parachutes just heat up at a rate comparable to the heatshield - and burn up before the capsule slows down enough for deploying them. I wonder though, surely there are people playing this in RO, they should also have had the issue... Weirdness ._.

The latter, it is actually orientating itself perfectly as long as FAR is installed. The parachutes just heat up at a rate comparable to the heatshield - and burn up before the capsule slows down enough for deploying them. I wonder though, surely there are people playing this in RO, they should also have had the issue... Weirdness ._.

There are a lot of folks here that use DR, RSS+RO, not so many: It is possible this could affect everyone.

Myself, no problems I found with DR, I'm sorry to say :(

I do not know what to suggest other than maaaybe re-install mods, but that's like a default response, it could be anything.

Ah man... this might means that i have to do my MIR build over.... wich i don't mind because i love space station building.

Well, that's er, good news I guess? :)

Regarding MIR, you might want to hold a while.

I figured, why not make the Spektr a full blown command module?

So, add a Gemini-esque window on it and set it free...

Of course very WIP.

11e3dc34ac.jpg

Radial parachutes are incredibly vulnerable during reentry. The only solutions are to hide them behind something, or to clip them into the base. The offset tool is handy for this; you can stick them within the body of your craft/rocket/etc. It may seem like a cheap trick, but it's actually more realistic; real parachutes are not stuck on the outside of rockets, planes, etc.