[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Hi, I wanted to share my modest contribution to your topic Beale, I love your work, can't play anymore without tantares :) . Have a Salyut !

http://i.imgur.com/VujjbQo.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/LP3qVPf.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/0I3zBHo.png?1

That's some lovely greeble work there. I never get a chance to put so much detail in my builds because they usually end up with too many parts anyway just from the bulk of them. :D

*beep beep beep*

Bugreport:

Hey Beale, I noticed a bug ith the KIS implementation on your mod.

When I fill a Progress Orbital module or a Soyuz OM via KIS, I can unpack the parts at the launchpad, but once I startet my rocket and got to orbit, the inventory is empty.

Bugreport over

*beep beep beep*

... Sorry.

Silly day at work :sticktongue:

Oh wow, I leave for about a week and look what happens! More awesomeness fresh from the oven! :D On a side note: I've been watching Planetes thanks to this thread and been wanting to build my own version of the debris hauler/Toy Box.. which brings me back to relevancy: What are your plans on making a bigger cargo bay?

bobcat had a kliper that actually would glide pretty well, but it had seperate wings and flaps

Yeah, that would be ideal, at the cost of having some very specific parts :blush:

I maybe can change the part origin, so the COL will be lower along the body.

Well I had some trouble getting used to stock aero again. (My rockets kept flipping over, oh yeah, fairings don't work in stock!!!) I moved the CoM from .45 to .15 which is still ahead of the CoL and I have had some success. I even landed it without parachutes.

Now I figure it has too much drag and maybe not enough lift but I am still working. It occurs to me though is there some standard set of parts I should be putting on this thing instead of plain by itself? Under what conditions does it need to be stable?

____________ UPDATE __________________

With just the plain capsule by itself I have been flying and landing this thing with no trouble with the following changes. I am not sure what kind of parts you envision this thing having on it during landing so I am not sure the changes are satisfactory.

CoMOffset = 0.0,0.15,0.0

dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.1
minimum_drag = 0.05
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 45
maxTemp = 3400

vesselType = Ship

dragCoeff = 0.3

____________ UPDATE __________________

Trying to make it fly with torque disabled now.

Tried it briefly - you weren't kidding! It flies great, I could even land it usually with wheels.

You'll forever be remembered in the part's configs (Chief designer Leszek Kerman) for your efforts! :)

On to your next question: The final design, when I get wheels working - three 12.5 kilogram wheels triangular on the undercarriage - I don't think it should affect the flight properties too much.

http://i.imgur.com/Nut7oEnl.png

Starting to feel very Soviet - 4 launch failures so far, requiring strut spamming the N1 decouplers to prevent breakups...

http://i.imgur.com/Wb4t8TSl.png

On the pad

http://i.imgur.com/L6l2gddl.png

Recovery after a failure - Seems to suffer from "The Sheppard Effect" (IE it's sinking - well not sinking but it floats pretty darn low...)

Stunning tower setup!

It is unfortunate that it isn't going well, I've only used the N-1 a little, but it always seemed relatively stable for its size.

Yeah, it flew great! It was a very simple set-up, but I had no control issues at all. It looks a little silly in the water, because the COM is so far forward, but that's not a big deal.

The COM issue is a awkward one, yeah. It looks like a feeding duck.

Some Tantares ISS action for y'all. Thanks as always for making it possible, Beale. :)

http://i.imgur.com/tFTborX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dxYVQKq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CCQrvJ8.jpg

Amazing!

Is that the Nauka? :)

I'll say like others I really like the truss.

Hi, I wanted to share my modest contribution to your topic Beale, I love your work, can't play anymore without tantares :) . Have a Salyut !

http://i.imgur.com/VujjbQo.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/LP3qVPf.png?1

http://i.imgur.com/0I3zBHo.png?1

Great greeble! I love it (So much I place it in the front page album).

Using the parachutes like those "hatches" is really clever.

Hi guys, having a small problem with the t-cm and t-om devices. if they are crewed, the kerbals wont show up in the bottom left corner and so i cant go eva or iva. the almach capsule works. anybody with ideas? i searched it but found noone with similar problems.

IVAs for the Soyuz are coming soon :)

For now, you can EVA and Transfer by clicking the hatch.

*beep beep beep*

Bugreport:

Hey Beale, I noticed a bug ith the KIS implementation on your mod.

When I fill a Progress Orbital module or a Soyuz OM via KIS, I can unpack the parts at the launchpad, but once I startet my rocket and got to orbit, the inventory is empty.

Bugreport over

*beep beep beep*

... Sorry.

Silly day at work :sticktongue:

Odd!

Thanks for finding.

I have not much time to play, so would not notice this.

The current KIS configs are kind of "junk" they are very quickly copied from the KIS cargo boxes, I'll investigate more.

Oh wow' date=' I leave for about a week and look what happens! More awesomeness fresh from the oven! :D On a side note: I've been watching Planetes thanks to this thread and been wanting to build my own version of the debris hauler/Toy Box.. which brings me back to relevancy: What are your plans on making a bigger cargo bay?[/quote']

I made the Toybox a while back (pre-making my mods public). No it wasn't very good.

Personally, I've got no plans for a bigger cargo bay. The Toybox's capacity from a rough look I'd guess be twice the size of the Mk3 bay, like, really big.

Kliper feels just too small.Maybe use Alnair Size? It is wider than soyuz, but still not too wide.

I may give it a modest size increase,

It needs to be scaled against the Soyuz OM.

How do I install the Kliper? I can't figure out where the folder goes.

Place the "KLIPER" folder inside Tantares/Parts :)

Also - the Kliper's performance under FAR / NEAR is absolutely atrocious. But, that will take time to fix.

Edited by Beale

I am glad those changes worked out, everything I tried to get it to work without torque was a failure, as far as I can tell nothing made any difference at all. But as you can see as long as you have torque the changes I proposed lets it fly just fine.

As for the landing gear, and I suppose RCS jets, if they move the CoM back to much we can just push the it back forward a small amount to compensate. The rule is the closer they are the better the maneuverability, the farther the better the stability. The mono propellant on that thing is at the CoM so it's use doesn't matter to stability.

I don't suppose I could trouble you for a custom edit to a texture could I?

For the LK B antenna dish - could we have something like this:

HmLNZTT.png?1

Rather then the red star? The star looks great, but it's a little too "on the nose" for a real world political entity for my liking...

http://i.imgur.com/HmLNZTT.png?1

Rather then the red star? The star looks great, but it's a little too "on the nose" for a real world political entity for my liking...

I would like this to be optional, because i really like the red star, it is influencing my moral during missions. :D

I think I solved the weird sizing bug! It looks like it is about the configs. I just replaced scale=1 with rescaleFactor=1 and i got the size of the module same as the module size when bug happens. It seems like scale and rescaleFactor have different size parameters!

EDIT: I experimented with sizes and discovered that standard LK size is at around rescaleFactor=1.2

Edited by Djolox
Forgot Something!

I see the alpha download for kliper (which I tried, and had SERIOUS problems using - the part seems to have forward (rather than upward) lift, and is very rear-heavy. Might be intended, unsure.) but I might have missed it - did the PPTS get released yet?

Beale, I could create a quick FAR config for the Kliper.

I recommend that you create two pairs of holes/notches in the wings that is roughly the same size/shape as the stock elevon control surfaces. One pair of notches should be on the horizontal part of the wings, and a second pair of notches should be on the vertical portion.

Using this method, people can add elevons (or procedural or B9 wings) and FAR settings would be taken care of in terms of pitch, roll, and yaw.

I am having problems with the Gemini G-750A motor. It does not show up as a motor / stage in kerbal engineering redux. There is no activate once in flight. Staging just decouples the motor and the docking port. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?

It's really goofy. I have to disable staging to use the engine and I have to manually activate it. Then to use the chute I have to re-enable staging and press the space bar. The entire time kerbal engineer does not see the engine. This has to be a bug or conflict with another mod. Can you please check and see if it is working properly?

Edited by ctbram

I would like this to be optional, because i really like the red star, it is influencing my moral during missions. :D
He-he-he, I use it on everything to be honest, so I double suggestion to make it optional.
Yep.. the star on that antenna is priceless..

I guess I wasn't clear, I meant it to be optional - somthing tucked into the extra textures folder. I'd do it but with the MDM file format... :confused:

Had another thought... which may be even LESS popular - how about the mission flag inside the dish? Now that I think of it, there's a conspicuous lack of mission flags on these parts...

I am glad those changes worked out, everything I tried to get it to work without torque was a failure, as far as I can tell nothing made any difference at all. But as you can see as long as you have torque the changes I proposed lets it fly just fine.

As for the landing gear, and I suppose RCS jets, if they move the CoM back to much we can just push the it back forward a small amount to compensate. The rule is the closer they are the better the maneuverability, the farther the better the stability. The mono propellant on that thing is at the CoM so it's use doesn't matter to stability.

RCS jets might be able to "strong-arm" it into flying correctly, but that is not so ideal (I feel like it should "go with the flow!"). Hmm, it is a tricky thing.

http://i.imgur.com/HmLNZTT.png?1

Funnily enough it started off as a four-sided star.

7874afe7af.jpg

I guess the red star might be a little political - but, it's not exactly a hammer and sickle or anything like that. :P

The IGLA when I get around to it, will be very similar design of LK dish, but without the star.

I think I solved the weird sizing bug! It looks like it is about the configs. I just replaced scale=1 with rescaleFactor=1 and i got the size of the module same as the module size when bug happens. It seems like scale and rescaleFactor have different size parameters!

EDIT: I experimented with sizes and discovered that standard LK size is at around rescaleFactor=1.2

The rescaleFactor you want is 1.25 :)

If this works, great! Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I see the alpha download for kliper (which I tried, and had SERIOUS problems using - the part seems to have forward (rather than upward) lift, and is very rear-heavy. Might be intended, unsure.) but I might have missed it - did the PPTS get released yet?

Grab the PPTS here. Though, no IVA yet. :)

Beale, I could create a quick FAR config for the Kliper.

I recommend that you create two pairs of holes/notches in the wings that is roughly the same size/shape as the stock elevon control surfaces. One pair of notches should be on the horizontal part of the wings, and a second pair of notches should be on the vertical portion.

Using this method, people can add elevons (or procedural or B9 wings) and FAR settings would be taken care of in terms of pitch, roll, and yaw.

That would be hella swell!

I actually have a flap, but I'm not sure how to configure it - (What model orientation?)

8c9104be1d.jpg

d0999dc556.jpg

I am having problems with the Gemini G-750A motor. It does not show up as a motor / stage in kerbal engineering redux. There is no activate once in flight. Staging just decouples the motor and the docking port. What am I doing wrong or is this a bug?

It's really goofy. I have to disable staging to use the engine and I have to manually activate it. Then to use the chute I have to re-enable staging and press the space bar. The entire time kerbal engineer does not see the engine. This has to be a bug or conflict with another mod. Can you please check and see if it is working properly?

The correct behaviour is the staging activates the engine, not decoupler. Sounds like a mod conflict! Could you get a list of mods? :)

Although, not showing in DeltaV calculations is a known bug, it's because KER/MJ ignores parts with moduleDecouple.

Had another thought... which may be even LESS popular - how about the mission flag inside the dish? Now that I think of it, there's a conspicuous lack of mission flags on these parts...

Flags on most of the parts are an aspiration. It's just tediously time consuming to make flag decals :(

Also - I'm incredibly busy the coming week(s), so - yeah. I doubt much if anything new will get made (Though of course I can fix urgent bugs).

Edited by Beale

Flags on most of the parts are an aspiration. It's just tediously time consuming to make flag decals :(

Oh? If you do know how to make them, by which I mean the model part, not the png, can you explain? I assume it's a rectangular poly with some sort of special name, or unity layer or somthing...

PPTS looks great!

I had to do a little jiffy-rigging on the top to get a 'chute mounted in a way that looked nice (I ended up using a ring of small station lights on the rim of the top, with the VA return chute in the center with the soyuz docking port on top of the chute), but flies great and things seemed to attach intelligently.

Also a note, SQUAD has a placeholder IVA that came with the MK3 parts - you can throw it in to a part just to make the crew show up in the bottom right, up to a max of 8 at a time. (If you click the IVA button it's just a solid black screen, but it gets the crew portraits visible during regular gameplay)

INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}

I splice that into all the Tantares crew pods without IVAs, works great. Just something you might consider doing by default.

Edited by tjsnh

Oh? If you do know how to make them, by which I mean the model part, not the png, can you explain? I assume it's a rectangular poly with some sort of special name, or unity layer or somthing...

You've basically got it!

So - It's pretty darn easy to produce the flag decals, just a bit tedious, most need to be made "bespoke" for each part. :)

Edit: You've actually given me an idea...

PPTS looks great!

I had to do a little jiffy-rigging on the top to get a 'chute mounted in a way that looked nice (I ended up using a ring of small station lights on the rim of the top, with the VA return chute in the center with the soyuz docking port on top of the chute), but flies great and things seemed to attach intelligently.

Also a note, SQUAD has a placeholder IVA that came with the MK3 parts - you can throw it in to a part just to make the crew show up in the bottom right, up to a max of 8 at a time. (If you click the IVA button it's just a solid black screen, but it gets the crew portraits visible during regular gameplay)

INTERNAL
{
name = Placeholder
}

I splice that into all the Tantares crew pods without IVAs, works great. Just something you might consider doing by default.

Thanks!

Yeah - I say the PPTS currently is not fit for even beta, but figuring I'll be not be able to work for a little while - why not release it for folks who don't mind rough edges?

The placeholder internal, yeah for sure I'll add this to any parts missing IVAs in next version :)