[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Are those two cargo bags all you're going to put in the IVA? Real Soyuz has bags everywhere. The easiest place to see them is hanging down over the crew's heads.

Also, It looks like you could fit a third seat in there. Maybe if you moved the outer two forward a little and had the middle one slightly recessed, like it is irl?

3-person, I really would like to. But it really is a question of space.

a 3-seat layout like the real Soyuz would not be possible, not enough horizontal width. An extra Kerbal "hanging from the roof" would be possible, though it might look a bit strange...

So for the time being, it's a LOK capsule, 2 seater :)

I vote to cram in another kerbal somehow, as well as causing a reason for you to make a Voskhod, though i cant blame you for not making one, as i seem to be the only person who wants one.

Hey Beale, the CKAN entry for Tantares is stuck on version 17.0. I downloaded the pack manually, but if you ever find time to fix it I would appreciate it. I've looked at the NetKAN metadata myself and couldn't find anything obvious, but I don't know much about how CKAN works.

That's great! If I've enabled you to push to further destinations, that makes me very happy :)

What you enabled me is to have a reliable and simple launcher that saved me lots of time on R&D and lots of parts on my craft. For former I thank you, while my PC wants to thank you for the latter.

And thanks for v19 :)

Hey Beale, i have modified the KIS inventory of the ATV, Progress and Soyuz to be more inline of they are capable of in real life, albeit kerbalized:

I have searched for the volume they can transport in real life and applied the Kerbal size vs real life percentage on it (KSP is 64% of real life size):

ATV has in real life a storing capacity of 8 racks: ((1 rack= 1.571 m³ X 8)/100)X64 = 8.1

Progress has in real life a storing capacity of 6m³: (6m³/100) x64 = 3.9

And since both are accessible from the inside, i have allowed the user to open the inventory without having to EVA around the hatch.

I also have modified the cfg files of the Soyuz Orbital and Reentry module to have the right volume:

Orbital Module: (1m³/100) x 64 = 0.64m³

Reentry Module: (1.5m³/100) x 64 = 0.96m³

here are the modified cfg files:

ATV:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol7qc1yzq2pn8fp/_Capella_Control_A.cfg?dl=0

Progress (Orbital Module):https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki0b2p0truao1oe/_Hamal_Orbital_A.cfg?dl=0

Soyuz OM (Tantares_Orbital_A):https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul0h7alahabq39z/part.cfg?dl=0

Soyuz RM (Tantares_Crew_A):https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2zky7tjdsq5huw/part.cfg?dl=0

Edited by MK3424

Hello, i think you have a great mod but i have a major problem with it. When i put in my game, a lot of parts are missing. i was hoping you would me with it.

Which parts are missing? If you have all the spacecraft parts but lack the parts for the rockets, you probably don't have Tantares LV installed. Make sure to download that from the front page.

Hey, open question:

I did a quick and dirty config hack (very dirty, nothing amazing, don't know how to do the textureswaps i'm sure would make it much cleaner)

that turns a few salyut, tks, and cygnus parts into Station Science vessels.

The cygnus comes in a few different varieties of Station Science experiments (rather than bringing that big ugly tube of experiment up, launch a cygnus directly!)

The Salyut's V-C2 and V-C4 (the larger tubes) have doubles that function as Cyclometrons, Labs, etc now. HOWEVER due to their lighter weight and smaller frame they take twice as long to process as the actual station science parts.

The SPEKTRE module has a double that functions as a spectrometron (unmanned). Again, less efficient than the Station Science parts.

And the TKS TK-0B10B (Larger tube) also has doubles that function as a Cyclometron/Spectrometron/Zoology Bay (No Lab).

Again, they're just quick hacks, it makes a bunch of extra copies of the same module with different functions, rather than something you can switch between at a button's click (so it slightly bloats the construction menu more). But to me, it gives a REAL function to having your Mir station up in the sky, as it can actually do work, and you can assemble a large and fairly similar Mir with a real purpose. This combines with the Life Support functionality of some of the other TKS/Salyut parts to be pretty damn fun IMO.

If anyone is interested/if its okay with Beale, i can upload the configs and see what people like and take suggestions. Do i need a license if i'm just adding configs?

Are those two cargo bags all you're going to put in the IVA? Real Soyuz has bags everywhere. The easiest place to see them is hanging down over the crew's heads.

/QUOTE]

Could put a few more bags in. For the real Soyuz, where are the other bags? It seems like there is only 1 per crew-member, behind and above the seats a littlte.

I think the way that they get 3 persons in a Soyuz capsule is due to the way they sit in it:

I vote to cram in another kerbal somehow, as well as causing a reason for you to make a Voskhod, though i cant blame you for not making one, as i seem to be the only person who wants one.

The trouble is Human seating plans don't translate well to Kerbals. Kerbals are about as fat as humans, but are much shorter and have giant heads relative to their body.

They also sit in an "L" position rather than the "lying down" position that human astronauts take.

The only potential seating plan I can put together is this, which I think looks a little silly.

1917f3e653.jpg

New RO configs! Test while the new RO is getting ready. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7pmwcjq0on3m89/Tantares_RO.zip?dl=0

Amazing!

Thank you much :)

Hey Beale, the CKAN entry for Tantares is stuck on version 17.0. I downloaded the pack manually, but if you ever find time to fix it I would appreciate it. I've looked at the NetKAN metadata myself and couldn't find anything obvious, but I don't know much about how CKAN works.

That's... unfortunate.

I actually still do not understand how to work with CKAN, the guide I was directed to was a little confusing.

I would probably rather have it off CKAN all-together than have it link to an outdated version. :sealed:

Any CKAN gurus can help me out?

What you enabled me is to have a reliable and simple launcher that saved me lots of time on R&D and lots of parts on my craft. For former I thank you, while my PC wants to thank you for the latter.

And thanks for v19 :)

Well that's pretty cool! :)

Hey Beale, i have modified the KIS inventory of the ATV, Progress and Soyuz to be more inline of they are capable of in real life, albeit kerbalized:

I have searched for the volume they can transport in real life and applied the Kerbal size vs real life percentage on it (KSP is 64% of real life size):

ATV has in real life a storing capacity of 8 racks: ((1 rack= 1.571 m³ X 8)/100)X64 = 8.1

Progress has in real life a storing capacity of 6m³: (6m³/100) x64 = 3.9

And since both are accessible from the inside, i have allowed the user to open the inventory without having to EVA around the hatch.

I also have modified the cfg files of the Soyuz Orbital and Reentry module to have the right volume:

Orbital Module: (1m³/100) x 64 = 0.64m³

Reentry Module: (1.5m³/100) x 64 = 0.96m³

here are the modified cfg files:

ATV:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol7qc1yzq2pn8fp/_Capella_Control_A.cfg?dl=0

Progress (Orbital Module):https://www.dropbox.com/s/ki0b2p0truao1oe/_Hamal_Orbital_A.cfg?dl=0

Soyuz OM (Tantares_Orbital_A):https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul0h7alahabq39z/part.cfg?dl=0

Soyuz RM (Tantares_Crew_A):https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2zky7tjdsq5huw/part.cfg?dl=0

Hi!

These are great!

I'll implement them for sure :)

Hello, i think you have a great mod but i have a major problem with it. When i put in my game, a lot of parts are missing. i was hoping you would me with it.

Best guess: did you rename the Tantares folder? That would cause most of the parts (Using Model nodes) to not show up.

Hey, open question:

I did a quick and dirty config hack (very dirty, nothing amazing, don't know how to do the textureswaps i'm sure would make it much cleaner)

The cygnus comes in a few different varieties of Station Science experiments (rather than bringing that big ugly tube of experiment up, launch a cygnus directly!)

The Salyut's V-C2 and V-C4 (the larger tubes) have doubles that function as Cyclometrons, Labs, etc now. HOWEVER due to their lighter weight and smaller frame they take twice as long to process as the actual station science parts.

The SPEKTRE module has a double that functions as a spectrometron (unmanned). Again, less efficient than the Station Science parts.

And the TKS TK-0B10B (Larger tube) also has doubles that function as a Cyclometron/Spectrometron/Zoology Bay (No Lab).

Again, they're just quick hacks, it makes a bunch of extra copies of the same module with different functions, rather than something you can switch between at a button's click (so it slightly bloats the construction menu more). But to me, it gives a REAL function to having your Mir station up in the sky, as it can actually do work, and you can assemble a large and fairly similar Mir with a real purpose. This combines with the Life Support functionality of some of the other TKS/Salyut parts to be pretty damn fun IMO.

If anyone is interested/if its okay with Beale, i can upload the configs and see what people like and take suggestions. Do i need a license if i'm just adding configs?

Totally happy for you to share configs you've produced :)

Licencing: If you're happy for the configs to be distributed with the same license as the mod (I.E. CC) No problem! (You don't need to include one).

If you want your configs to be protected (I.E. nobody can re-distribute them), you'll have to include one.

If you upload them, I'll be pretty happy to link the config on the front page (Like with the craft file links, to a specific post).

It sounds nice, I haven't used StationScience in a while, but this could be fun.

Edited by Beale

Hey, open question:

Maybe it could be better to make a ModuleManager config instead of duplicating parts? I can take a look on configs.

Hey that´s great! But ... umm... where do I put them? Or can only Beale include them?

The trouble is Human seating plans don't translate well to Kerbals. Kerbals are about as fat as humans, but are much shorter and have giant heads relative to their body.

They also sit in an "L" position rather than the "lying down" position that human astronauts take.

The only potential seating plan I can put together is this, which I think looks a little silly.

http://puu.sh/gVtPU/1917f3e653.jpg

Wow, I didn't expected it would fit! :D

I think it's not as silly as it may seem. I personally think it would be just ok, even if it's slightly unhistoric. :)

And if you make the back seat as the third one, the capsule might as well be transformed to a two-seat one. :)

Maybe it could be better to make a ModuleManager config instead of duplicating parts? I can take a look on configs.

I think it is needed to duplicate parts, if wanting different experiment modules (Like a plant-experiment Cygnus). Could use alternate textures really, the Cygnus texture is in the repo in my sig for anyone up to a challenge! :wink:

Hey that´s great! But ... umm... where do I put them? Or can only Beale include them?

They are part.cfg files, so you can just replace the actual configs :)

I'll translate them into module manager scripts and include with next release.

I think it's not as silly as it may seem. I personally think it would be just ok, even if it's slightly unhistoric. :)

And if you make the back seat as the third one, the capsule might as well be transformed to a two-seat one. :)

Hmmm, nice ideas.

Let me try this in game! :cool:

Edited by Beale

-quote from ptrevtrevs-

Could put a few more bags in. For the real Soyuz, where are the other bags? It seems like there is only 1 per crew-member, behind and above the seats a littlte.

I would add a bag on the top between the two seats. Also, you screwed up your quote formatting and misspelled little :wink:

I think it is needed to duplicate parts, if wanting different experiment modules (Like a plant-experiment Cygnus). Could use alternate textures really, the Cygnus texture is in the repo in my sig! :wink:

Yeah, maybe it could work that way too. Although, I wanted to take a look on Station Science a while ago, for the same reason Lucius brought it up. I want to maintain a minimum of interference with the stock, personally, so I think I will try to make "minimalistic" version of SS support, without many new parts (probably alternatively painted Progress pods for experiments?).

I was wondering if maybe an alternate capsule config would be more appropriate. i.e. past a certain tech level the model config changes to crew 3 and swaps to a different IVA (or has a button to change between 2 and 3) similar to how the core/boosters rockets work in TantaresLV. Is that even possible?

Hmmm that's a good point, maybe I'll take the extra time to clean them up a little and make them MM style more.

Also Niemand, could you point me in the right direction of "how to learn" something?

I would have no problem putting in the extra time to make the parts "single modules" with an option in the VAB to change their function, sort of like Multipurpose Colony Modules? I'd like to make it so you can drop in, say, a cygnus module, and then in the VAB press a button to choose whether its delivering Life support or experiments or kibbal or fuel or whatever strikes my fancy. My only problem when i sifted through the coding on MCM was that it seemed a little ... dense, and i wonder if you know a better/simpler way to do it? Maybe via modular/realfuels?

Hello Beale!

long-time lurker, first post :D

Wouldn't Soyuz fit 3 kerbals if the seats would be like this? (viewed from the rear)

3acc92c6-841e-4e63-812e-6abf13138dc3_zpsgxhxi6bu.jpg

either A or B... B should be like the real thing? would they fit if the middle seat would be a bit smaller/without the joysticks?

Yeah, maybe it could work that way too. Although, I wanted to take a look on Station Science a while ago, for the same reason Lucius brought it up. I want to maintain a minimum of interference with the stock, personally, so I think I will try to make "minimalistic" version of SS support, without many new parts (probably alternatively painted Progress pods for experiments?).

That would be really cool too! :)

It makes a very primitive part of my cave-man brain happy when there are multiple colour-coded things.

0f866792c0.jpg

I was wondering if maybe an alternate capsule config would be more appropriate. i.e. past a certain tech level the model config changes to crew 3 and swaps to a different IVA (or has a button to change between 2 and 3) similar to how the core/boosters rockets work in TantaresLV. Is that even possible?

Not quite possible! Though that would be a perfect solution...

You can swap interiors with module manager, but not dependent on per-save tech nodes, unfortunately.

If you don't mind, i will try to make custom config for others as well (the ones where i can find information about).

Don't mind at all! :)

I enjoy to this work you're doing very much.

A bit out of left field, but I just found this - here might be some future ideas for tantares. Especially the BASE parts which this game is sorely lacking.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/lunar_base.html

Waaay ahead of you! :wink:

Waiting on stock resources (And finishing my thesis) to get the base action started.

Hello Beale!

long-time lurker, first post :D

Wouldn't Soyuz fit 3 kerbals if the seats would be like this? (viewed from the rear)

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k633/taniel0401/3acc92c6-841e-4e63-812e-6abf13138dc3_zpsgxhxi6bu.jpg

either A or B... B should be like the real thing? would they fit if the middle seat would be a bit smaller/without the joysticks?

Thanks for sketching it out! And welcome :)

I think that layout might be a bit troublesome, though it looks like it could work.

1c7d9f5e48.jpg

The Kerbal heads extend far beyond the top of the seat, so I think they would have their heads clipping.

It's worth a try though!

The version of the seat without controls, the Kerbals hands are still in the "control" position, so they would still need same amount of room.