[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Here's a new config: It's the Cygnus one.

Since the Cygnus in this version is smaller than the one in real life, i had to change some numbers (divided it by two) to make it more acceptable as i came to the conclussion that 2.88m³ (half sized real one: 4.5m³) is the best guess i could come up with for the Cygnus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnt60hhfvm4bpkg/part.cfg?dl=0

And that's about it i could find. Unless you could make a H-II Transfer Vehicle as well?

Edited by MK3424

That would be really cool too! :)

It makes a very primitive part of my cave-man brain happy when there are multiple colour-coded things.

http://puu.sh/gVzh4/0f866792c0.jpg

Thanks! Althoug, I was talking about control blocks, since the experiments are intended to be recovered, AFAIK (although, not sure since I haven't played much Station Science, being fan of Sandbox).

Thanks for sketching it out! And welcome :)

I think that layout might be a bit troublesome, though it looks like it could work.

http://puu.sh/gVyKD/1c7d9f5e48.jpg

The Kerbal heads extend far beyond the top of the seat, so I think they would have their heads clipping.

It's worth a try though!

The version of the seat without controls, the Kerbals hands are still in the "control" position, so they would still need same amount of room.

Did you try version B? if the seats fit, their heads shouldn't clip as they are pointed away from each other... and maybe even try different heights off the floor for the middle seat... It might fit actually...

That would be really cool too! :)

-snip-

Not quite possible! Though that would be a perfect solution...

You can swap interiors with module manager, but not dependent on per-save tech nodes, unfortunately.

-snip-

Why not make it a separate part? You could resuse the textures from the two kerbal capsule, just have a different IVA. You could balance between the two by having the two kerbal capsule have more KIS storage or less mass.

Could put a few more bags in. For the real Soyuz, where are the other bags? It seems like there is only 1 per crew-member, behind and above the seats a little

I suppose "everywhere" is an understatement, but it does appear that a large portion of the Soyuz DM is taken up by the bags. Honestly, the only place I can see the bags is above the seats, which would be hard to do because of the hatch. If you maybe placed two more bags on the sides below each window, or maybe more control panels? Just to give the appearance of a cramped and cluttered DM. After all, the entire reason for the existence of a third of the spacecraft comes from the need for more habitable space.

The Kerbal heads extend far beyond the top of the seat, so I think they would have their heads clipping.

It's worth a try though!

The version of the seat without controls, the Kerbals hands are still in the "control" position, so they would still need same amount of room.

How about turning the seat in the middle upside down?

Here's a new config: It's the Cygnus one.

Since the Cygnus in this version is smaller than the one in real life, i had to change some numbers (divided it by two) to make it more acceptable as i came to the conclussion that 2.88m³ (half sized real one: 4.5m³) is the best guess i could come up with for the Cygnus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnt60hhfvm4bpkg/part.cfg?dl=0

And that's about it i could find. Unless you could make a H-II Transfer Vehicle as well?

Many thanks! :)

Thanks! Althoug, I was talking about control blocks, since the experiments are intended to be recovered, AFAIK (although, not sure since I haven't played much Station Science, being fan of Sandbox).

That makes more sense!

Yeah, though it is without a heatshield, perhaps a Raduga?

You are right some of the science experiments need to be recovered rather than transmitted, IIRC.

c7e17e3539.jpg

Did you try version B? if the seats fit, their heads shouldn't clip as they are pointed away from each other... and maybe even try different heights off the floor for the middle seat... It might fit actually...

Yup, Version B, the seats fit better - the heads will unfortunately clip outside the capsule.

Also, there would be significant problems with Kerbal's hands clipping.

2f02000f2d.jpg

Thanks for the input with this, it really is a very convoluted problem.

Why not make it a separate part? You could resuse the textures from the two kerbal capsule, just have a different IVA. You could balance between the two by having the two kerbal capsule have more KIS storage or less mass.

It's possible, but I'm kinda against duplicate, or near duplicate, parts. :sealed:

Especially, I like to tell two parts apart by their VAB icon at a glance.

I suppose "everywhere" is an understatement, but it does appear that a large portion of the Soyuz DM is taken up by the bags. Honestly, the only place I can see the bags is above the seats, which would be hard to do because of the hatch. If you maybe placed two more bags on the sides below each window, or maybe more control panels? Just to give the appearance of a cramped and cluttered DM. After all, the entire reason for the existence of a third of the spacecraft comes from the need for more habitable space.

That's a good point!

Hmmm... The bags I can try move.

Maybe...

I dunno, it is really similar to the ATV IMO.

Though, it would be nice to pair with the Fuji. :)

How about turning the seat in the middle upside down?

That's a possible solution.

I think it looks strange though.

dba44abe3f.jpg

HTV isn't that similar to ATV. It'll give us a pressurized module compatible on both ends with CBM, and a good-looking unpressurized bay, all in pretty gold Kapton!

Yeah, the HTV is pretty much the ATV with an unpressurized middle section (albeit that it has a different engine layout).

Ditch that then... maybe the seats in a piramid formation?

One seat in front and the two others behind it?

See a few pages back! :)

That formation seems the most possible.

Some people said it was impossible to fit two Kerbals in a 1.25m pod.

Beale tries to fit in three.

Hehe!

Well I am still not sure it's gonna be possible! :)

HTV isn't that similar to ATV. It'll give us a pressurized module compatible on both ends with CBM, and a good-looking unpressurized bay, all in pretty gold Kapton!

Fair point!

How would folks feel about a 1.25m HTV, it would fill a niche for "big cargo tube" supply vessels between ATV and Cygnus.

On other hand 2.5m cargo bay could be very useful.

Also the Fuji needs a revamp if I'm fleshing out the Japanese corner, but let's not talk about that yet :D

What about 1.875m diameter?

There seems a lot of problems/discussion revolving around 1.25m vs 2.5m, so why not just use 1.875m?

2 simple adapters would be enough and it would solve many size issues.

What about 1.875m diameter?

There seems a lot of problems/discussion revolving around 1.25m vs 2.5m, so why not just use 1.875m?

2 simple adapters would be enough and it would solve many size issues.

pssssst HGR pssst.

No, seriously, HGR provides 1.875 3-manned Soyuz. It's slightly our of date, but in version name only. Don't ftry to remove Tantares out of it's niche!

pssssst HGR pssst.

No, seriously, HGR provides 1.875 3-manned Soyuz. It's slightly our of date, but in version name only. Don't ftry to remove Tantares out of it's niche!

I do not think an 800 pound gorilly needs a niche, but I m all for diversity.

But then I would prefer a small 2 kerbal Soyuz in this pack and the 1.875m 3kerbal one in HGR, so that they complement each other.

Edited by Yemo

I rather like the compact module as well. There is the larger VA (?) capsule, as well as the Fuji, if the need arises. (I should get around to launching a Fuji, come to think of it :D )

Does anyone else play using the realfuels stockalike mod? It rather helps when playing on 6.4x Kerbin, but the RCS bugs are... fascinating, to say the least; I just wondered if it's just me ^^

With regards to having two different parts, would it be possible to add some colored highlights onto the three-man pod?

That's a great idea! Maybe make a green Tantares 2-seater and a gray one - 3-seater. Although, the orbital module should have a green alternative too. Oh, maybe a gray one with a docking window/lights like the TMA and green one like early Soyuzes.

That makes more sense!

Yeah, though it is without a heatshield, perhaps a Raduga?

You are right some of the science experiments need to be recovered rather than transmitted, IIRC.

http://puu.sh/gVFoS/c7e17e3539.jpg

Raduga capsule would be nice, but the point is that it is stored inside the ship. If you cole make a kind of a "rack" for it, that would be nice, but it won't play much role in stock game (apart from returning experiments from Kerbin too).

Edited by Niemand303

IMO the fact that kerbals do wear spacesuits, combined with the overall theme of Tantares, makes a 2-seater the most probable. (Soyuz 12+ essentially, prior to that modernization which gave 'em 3 seats again)