[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I just realized you did a 2 nozzle engine. +1 for that! Big 2 nozzle engines are sorely lacking in this game. I've been debating trying my hand at a simple clone of the skipper or mainsail that has the same specs but simply 2 nozzles just for the looks.

Edited by tg626

Well I do admire the dedication you have to these craft files!

1. It doesn't if I recall correctly. Which is probably a good thing IMO, the old Spaceport website was filled with craft files to the point that mods were harder to find.

2. I like the idea of tiered detail selections :)

Whatever you wish to do, I'm happy with it and I enjoy the work.

Kaboom!

http://puu.sh/h92wt/4ed0905966.jpg

The Cygnus itself is due a little revamp I think, in particular the solar panels.

http://puu.sh/h94cZ/025ed184a0.jpg

http://puu.sh/h94dr/8d412dcecf.jpg

http://puu.sh/h94eb/0df9de55c0.jpg

http://puu.sh/h94ey/2c0ccc4b67.jpg

VAB!

http://puu.sh/h94t6/c100ac2137.jpg

How much fuel? That was shockingly easy.

http://puu.sh/h94tS/1e3f05d355.jpg

Great job Beale. Can't wait for a Ariane 5 (if you wanna make one, I know you're real busy right now though.)

Beale, are you going to create a Hybrid rocket motor for this pack even though you created a solid for the Pol craft?

That would go well for those people who think that using a solid to achieve a successful insertion into orbit is too hard (I could care either way, but I haven't seen hybrids in a long time; also, please make it cheap, but not too cheap {as hybrids are}).

Thanks!

The Antares looks amazing! I'm glad I could help I guess.

Anyways, on the seemingly popular topic of self promotion, look what I made!

http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/ugc/527260585207040183/8FFC934100B2EE097A6C545C2968E146EA7A5F5F/

Again, I can't believe that I just not got around to it, but I made a Vostok. Maybe this could be the picture for the Imgur album on the front page? Question mark?? Notice me. ;-;

Your wish is granted, the old Vostok image on the front page has been given a much needed update. :)

That Pol launcher looks awesome!
Very nice Antares launcher Beale! I've been wanting a stockalike Antares. :)
Woah so cool ! I want it all, and I want it now ! :) ( yes that was a queen reference )

470c8ec9c9.jpg

Freddie Mercury as an Italian stereotype.

Many thanks for the kind words, it's almost ready barring much needed balancing (Seriously, it currently has 11k DV with a Cygnus).

I just realized you did a 2 nozzle engine. +1 for that! Big 2 nozzle engines are sorely lacking in this game. I've been debating trying my hand at a simple clone of the skipper or mainsail that has the same specs but simply 2 nozzles just for the looks.

Thanks! :)

Unfortunately... It's not quite a big engine, just a 1.25m part, and shorter than the LVT30 at that.

But, the Titan II engine will fill the "big engine with 2 nozzle" niche!

The gimbal action is quite pretty, shame I can't show that in screenshots.

9b55c2f141.jpg

Great job Beale. Can't wait for a Ariane 5 (if you wanna make one, I know you're real busy right now though.)

Thanks!

Ariane 5 is not so likely, at least for the near future. There's a lot of half-finished stuff around I want to finish, given time. :)

Beale, are you going to create a Hybrid rocket motor for this pack even though you created a solid for the Pol craft?

That would go well for those people who think that using a solid to achieve a successful insertion into orbit is too hard (I could care either way, but I haven't seen hybrids in a long time; also, please make it cheap, but not too cheap {as hybrids are}).

Thanks!

The "Shutdownable" SRB is working pretty well from a few test flights.

Well I guess just being able to be shutdown makes it a hybrid I guess.

Basically you cannot throttle the Soar SRB, but it can be manually shut off.

I'd prefer to make it so when it is shut-off, there is no restarting it. I have an idea how to do this without plugin, will experiment.

That would limit the initial orbits you can go into, but the Cygnus has quite a lot of fuel to bring yourself to the desired final orbit.

Edited by Beale

The "Shutdownable" SRB is working pretty well from a few test flights.

Well I guess just being able to be shutdown makes it a hybrid I guess.

Basically you cannot throttle the Soar SRB, but it can be manually shut off.

I'd prefer to make it so when it is shut-off, there is no restarting it. I have an idea how to do this without plugin, will experiment.

That would limit the initial orbits you can go into, but the Cygnus has quite a lot of fuel to bring yourself to the desired final orbit.

Nope. A hybrid engine is called a hybrid because it uses a solid fuel and a liquid oxidizer :)

Nope. A hybrid engine is called a hybrid because it uses a solid fuel and a liquid oxidizer :)

Oh yeah for sure, I know this, I wrote it a little poorly.

What I mean is, if I've made this SRB so that it can be shut down, a person would have to assume it's a hybrid or something (are there alternative shutdown-able SRBs? I should research).

That pol launcher looks pretty close to release.

I have five dollars that says Beale is just teasing us, and has it (and probably PPTS and other stuff) done and ready to release, but is sitting there laughing at us with his mouse cursor hovering over the "upload" button :D

That pol launcher looks pretty close to release.

I have five dollars that says Beale is just teasing us, and has it (and probably PPTS and other stuff) done and ready to release, but is sitting there laughing at us with his mouse cursor hovering over the "upload" button :D

Nah, Beale would release it if he was finished. Besides I thank the Loaf for taking his times for making this stuff for us.

I'm sorry if this has been diskussed already. There´s over 600 pages and I have probably missed some.

There is a problem with the LARJ engine being really overpowered. It is possible (and not very hard) to build an SSO rocket with space for seven kerbals (!) that can start from Kerbin, go to Eeloo and return without refuelling, twice (!!), by using the LARJ engine. Furter more, the amount of energy needed can be provided by batteries alone during ascent through the atmosphere (I use around 3000 units of electricity for six engines).

(Edit: It was a bug in my installation that increased thrust and Isp ALOT. The rest of my reasoning is sane however. At least as far as I myself can tell, but how do you gauge your own sanity???)

I think there is a misunderstanding about the limits of resitojet augmented engines that needs to be adressed. A fairly normal resistojet thruster has a thrust of around 0.5 N using 750 W of Power. This can easily be increased to 1 N by using chemical combustion of around 1 kW and then heating it further with 750 W of electrical power. The problems are that there is an upper limit to the temperatures you can handle as well as how much propellant flow the resistojet can handle.

Let's first make two three assumptions that will break immediately when applied to real world physics.

1. There is no upper limit to how hot emission gases we can handle in the resistojet.

2. The temperature increase is linear to the amount of electrical power we use for heating.

3. The exhaust of a chemical rocket has the same molecular weight as hydrogen gas. :-)

If, under those assumptions, we have a resistojet that produces 0.5 N at 750 W we can built a 25 N thruster using 37.5 kW of electricity. We could do this either by heating 50 times as much reaction mass or by heating it to a temperature that is about 50 times higher (creating a massive increase in Isp).

If we have a chemical rocket of 0.5 N using we could heat that exhaust gas and double the exhaust velocity to produce 1 N thust by adding 750 W of resistojet augmentation.

To make a 18 kN resistojet with an Isp of 600 s, we would then have to provide an amount of chemical fuel that provides is burned at a temperature of around 4000 K to achieve the first 400 s of Isp, and then heat it 50% more to 6000 K to get our 600 s Isp. That means that we will have to provide around 6 kN extra thrust using electricity which equates to around 12 MW (!) of electrical power.

When applying real world physics we will probably melt the parts of the engine that cannot be cooled (the resistor), we will further more have a much heavier exhaust than hydrogen, for example water, and even with all that not taken into account we need to have batteries capable of providing 12 MW of power for three minutes to get to a low Kerbin orbit.

In short. The engine has far too high thrust and/or too low electrical consumption. As the engine is based on, and balanced against (the also severely overpowered) RLA resistojet, we cannot make it realistic without making it obsolete in game terms. What could be done is to reduce the thrust increase of the LARJ mode to 12 kN and not reducing the electrical need compared to the normal resistojet mode (it is halved now which there is no reason for). It's still hilariously OP, but that problem has to be adressed in the RLA mod too.

I haven't play tested the change but I guess it would require more than double the battery power to get to orbit, and probably halve my delta-V. I can still fly my SSO to Eeloo and back, but only once.

Edited by Antipaten

Hi, I don't know if this was already answered elsewhere, and if it was, sorry if it's being asked again, but I'd like to ask if there's a way to reenable KAS storage functionality in the present Tantares release (instead of KIS)? As much as KIS carries greater advantages, I don't know if I want to use it yet, at least until it and EPL can play nice. Also considering I can't trust myself around file edits, in case that is the solution, I want to be sure I'm plugging in the right module in the right way. Thanks in advance for any help!

Will somebody please tell me exactly what kind of R-7 that is in this mod?

Hello, you got the semiorka core and you can litteraly do anything with it, from spoutnik to molniya, vostok, soyuz... Be sure to use procedural fairings ! :D

The colours of the R-7 parts are most used to launch soyuz rockets anyway :P

Beale, small thing I noticed with the solar panels: They appear to have the raycast transform very very close to the base of the panel, so they get blocked by parts of the vessel that stick out slightly.

Would it be possible to move the raycast transform to the center of each panel? (I have no idea how many are affected, I only tested the V-SA and the V-MNP)

Here's what I mean:

RnrYx5I.pngOf the 7 panels on the station itself, only 3 of them (the 2 V-SAs and the bottom right V-MNP) are producing power, and as you can see, there are shadows only at the base.

Edited by DerpyFirework
Added Picture

Hey! Free rep for the first person to tell me what day it is and what happened on this day!

13th April 1970: the day that Apollo 13 had it's accident when one of it's oxygen tanks exploded due to a fualty coil that sparked during sturring of the tanks.