[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

B]Potential save breaking stuff alert!

The Kvant, old one is off-scale quite badly.

I check and it is literally the oldest part still in the pack!

Be it from another era, it will have to be replaced, with a newly sized (True to orthographics) model.

http://puu.sh/hoc4j/13faa12c28.jpg

You just Kvant stop updating old parts, can you now?

Yeah, if you're going to do big, save-breaking stuff, now is the time! I think most people start with clean saves with major game updates. Has anyone heard whether or not 1.0 breaks saves? I don't think it will...

Edited by curtquarquesso
pun.

I've always wondered about the kvant; how best to deliver it? I know it has a top node, but it always seems hack-y to glue a stack separator to it and do it that way. How do you guys go about doing it?

Yeah, if you're going to do big, save-breaking stuff, now is the time! I think most people start with clean saves with major game updates. Has anyone heard whether or not 1.0 breaks saves? I don't think it will...

Nice pun

But seriously, 1.0 probably won't break saves, possibly career saves? Aerodynamics and reentry will probably force people to remake their crafts. Other than that, I dunno. I probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but whatever.

Just a random thought that came up when I saw those amazing heatshield pics posted a couple pages back ...

Once 1.0 hits, the Vostok pod is going to find a whole new life (presuming the part is config'ed so the whole thing is heatshielded, like the actual capsule was) for low-part-count rockets, lightweight missions, and us lazyfolks :-)

actually the vostok was still weighted to fly butt first also it was heavier and more capable than the mercury which many equate with the mk1 pod (it had 1-2 weeks worth of life support to last until its orbit decayed naturally in the event of retro rocket failure. The vokshod then took all that extra life support out for the sake of extra seats and they instead stuck a spare solid rocket engine rig on top for retro fire redundancy and to provide a soft landing capability so they wouldn't need to eject the crew during landing.)

but yeah lazy is still valid they chose the sphere shape because it was inherently stable :D

Can someone please verify this or respond in some way. When I attach the g-750a it is not showing up as an engine stage in KER. There is an option to enable/disable staging and if I click this the engine shows up in the staging stack but it is still not showing up in KER. If I stage to this point in the stack during flight the engine just simply disappears??? If I toggle the enable staging so the engine is no longer showing in the staging stack it still is not appearing in KER but when I stage I have to right click the part and manually click active engine???

Can someone please help?

I want to use this part but until I can figure out why is it not staging properly I am flumixed. Please let me know if there is any information I can provide to help. I can grab screen shots if needed.

Thanks

I know this is a bug if you are using tweakable everything. It has an mm config that adds its own decoupler module to everything with a decoupler if you are not comfortable doing some config edit wizardry then you will have to either do without tweakable everything or not use the gemini engine.

I've always wondered about the kvant; how best to deliver it? I know it has a top node, but it always seems hack-y to glue a stack separator to it and do it that way. How do you guys go about doing it?

It's a tricky little SOB. (son of a buran.) I believe for my last design, I had a overall, conical fairing, going from the base of the delivery FGB, to the top of the Kvant. Between the Kvant, and the FGB delivery vehicle, I had an interstage, and I had the Kvant docked to that via it's female docking node. You can either put a male docking probe on the FGB, or a decoupler. Up to you. It's possible, just takes some tricky part placement.

actually the vostok was still weighted to fly butt first also it was heavier and more capable than the mercury which many equate with the mk1 pod (it had 1-2 weeks worth of life support to last until its orbit decayed naturally in the event of retro rocket failure. The vokshod then took all that extra life support out for the sake of extra seats and they instead stuck a spare solid rocket engine rig on top for retro fire redundancy and to provide a soft landing capability so they wouldn't need to eject the crew during landing.)

but yeah lazy is still valid they chose the sphere shape because it was inherently stable :D

I think modding is going to get a bit more complicated with reentry physics now a part of the base game. Balance, especially with universe scaling mods are going to be tricky. May the kraken have mercy on all of us.

Speaking of reentry heat, @Beale, we'll be seeing those heat shields once you and other mod authors understand how Squad's reentry model works, right? Let us know how that goes. :P

Edited by curtquarquesso

Also, someone mentioned a Big-G a while back.

Still not sure about this, but it uses no new textures, so is RAM free.

http://puu.sh/fS2FT/138f30843d.jpg

http://puu.sh/fS2E7/6cfdfb1d39.jpg

http://puu.sh/fSdLD/4839ed9608.jpg

http://puu.sh/fSeej/82a13c6aad.jpg

This appeared to be soooo close! I'd take a alpha release, two crew hatches and everything.

Ah, the FGB... I had not thought of using one of those to deliver the thing. Last one I sent up had a variety of monoprop tanks and rcs ports ><

Yup. That's how the Soviets did it. They just gutted an FGB of all inhabitable space, stuffed it with propellent, and stuck Kvant on the top. I'm not 100% sure if it was habitable while it was docked to the Kvant it was delivering. There are few details on it.

I know you've probably heard this before, but have you ever considered making a fregat upper stage? That'd be awesome.

I have!

The Fregat will be useful, but it will be made with the Fobos Grunt, when that is revamp.

WIP

31d4db6017.jpg

5b096d108c.jpg

Should not be major damage, just undock your local Kvants (If you can) and burn them up in the atmosphere.

@Beale, we'll be seeing those heat shields once you and other mod authors understand how Squad's reentry model works, right? Let us know how that goes. :P

Yeah, they will wait till 1.0 - and I suppose we will have new PartTools to play with.

This appeared to be soooo close! I'd take a alpha release, two crew hatches and everything.

Ssssh! Don't remind people of this :wink:

I joke, but I was never happy with the texture, or layout of the doors.

The big-G will get made one day, no worries.

Can someone please verify this or respond in some way. When I attach the g-750a it is not showing up as an engine stage in KER. There is an option to enable/disable staging and if I click this the engine shows up in the staging stack but it is still not showing up in KER. If I stage to this point in the stack during flight the engine just simply disappears??? If I toggle the enable staging so the engine is no longer showing in the staging stack it still is not appearing in KER but when I stage I have to right click the part and manually click active engine???

Can someone please help?

I want to use this part but until I can figure out why is it not staging properly I am flumixed. Please let me know if there is any information I can provide to help. I can grab screen shots if needed.

Thanks

Here is a link to a video I made demonstrating the issue I am having with the G-750. Please take a look and advise if there is a way to get it working correctly ie. - engines with fuel should register in the MJ and KER, staging to fire the engine and decoupling should be separate actions one should not have to manually right click the part to activate the engine.

I honestly do not know if this is a limitation of the G-750A part and the ksp API or simply a conflict of some kind on my system. However, I can verify if I create a vanilla installation and just add tantares and no other mods the behavior is exactly the same so I would rule out a conflict or bad installation.

I really should create a topic but as I use mostly tantares parts, I feel that those pictures belong here and afterall I made them for you tantares users...

So, I would like to share with you a modest satellite launch that I did in a melancholic mood, it's been years I discovered how beautiful the immensity of space was, but even in a game I could not get rid of this .. :)

As always I want to thank everyone who made this possible, squad, beale and every single kerbal fan who contributed into these mods.

uEtutoI.png

p7rLqN6.png

sJXM23t.png

Have some relaxing sounds to go with it

the full album is here http://imgur.com/a/XTaf2 the satellite is called korolev, a tribute for sure :) .

Wow!

That shuttle engine design is really nice. The Vos-909 is charming alongside too.

Lovely stuff (How about a craft file eh? :) )

I will post a craft file but I have to work more on it! The Mainsail SSMEs were tweaked on this one to have larger gimbal (as an SSME should have) but I intend to recreate it to work well without any config modifications and flying it was still... funny! I also want to recreate both the NASA shuttles and Buran from completely stock parts. I'll try to come up with some new images too.

Since you're working on station parts, I would like to ask if the Igla antenna will show up soon. I've been dying to see it in this pack!

As far as I know Beale is working on B antenna, and already had feedbacks about the C/D antenna, I guess we will have some new dishes soon :)

RndVradarsP.gif

Here is a link to a video I made demonstrating the issue I am having with the G-750. Please take a look and advise if there is a way to get it working correctly ie. - engines with fuel should register in the MJ and KER, staging to fire the engine and decoupling should be separate actions one should not have to manually right click the part to activate the engine.

I honestly do not know if this is a limitation of the G-750A part and the ksp API or simply a conflict of some kind on my system. However, I can verify if I create a vanilla installation and just add tantares and no other mods the behavior is exactly the same so I would rule out a conflict or bad installation.

I watched the video -

No, that is not the correct behaviour at all (Apart from the KER bug as mentioned before). This is:

So, your problem:

• What version of KSP?
  • 32 or 64 bit?
  • Keys rebound? (Maybe).

I really should create a topic but as I use mostly tantares parts, I feel that those pictures belong here and afterall I made them for you tantares users...

So, I would like to share with you a modest satellite launch that I did in a melancholic mood, it's been years I discovered how beautiful the immensity of space was, but even in a game I could not get rid of this .. :)

As always I want to thank everyone who made this possible, squad, beale and every single kerbal fan who contributed into these mods.

http://i.imgur.com/uEtutoI.png

http://i.imgur.com/p7rLqN6.png

http://i.imgur.com/sJXM23t.png

Have some relaxing sounds to go with it

the full album is here http://imgur.com/a/XTaf2 the satellite is called korolev, a tribute for sure :) .

Nice pseudo-sputnik!

I like the design and will steal it :)

Since you're working on station parts, I would like to ask if the Igla antenna will show up soon. I've been dying to see it in this pack!

Sure, I think it will come along with the Salyut parts.

Speaking of...

A quick part.

58bb06d9c0.jpg

b84b968506.jpg

b81f346678.jpg

255b00b466.jpg

Edit:

A few persons have requested I record myself using Wings3D, oddly enough I have complied:

Remember to choose 720p!

Edited by Beale