[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Bug found.

I hope I am not repeating one someone else has already noted. The Tavio Get-Out doesn't show up in the VAB staging icons. You have to wait until launch and then move the icon there as you see fit. I delete the part database file every time I change a mod and I have changed several since last time I installed Tantares.

I don't think that is accurate. Even though some of the file names changed the part names in the configs did not. I just checked the the Castor_Engine_B config file name lemEngine.cfg and the part name is still Castor_Engine_B. This is for Tantares 27 via CKAN.

If your changing part names now in the .CFG files I think its a bad idea and will be skipping any updates you are making.

To the OP I would suggest holding at Tanatares 27 until this is sorted out.

Tantares 27,1 renames the part Castor_LM_Engine as Urist said..Tantares 27 still has it at Castor_Engine_B

CKAN not up to date....theres something new

Personally I'd leave it as Castor_engine_B because its not like the parentage is that visible in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: Here's a link to all of the configs that I've completed in one folder.

R-7

Proton

Kliper

The R-7 and Proton configs remove the few bugs that people have mentioned, balance the engines, make the fx work, correct for aero, etc.

Thanks Crisk for the configs...I tried to post some proton engine rebalances a few pages ago but no-one seemed interested

I'll have a look through yours

Tantares 27,1 renames the part Castor_LM_Engine as Urist said..Tantares 27 still has it at Castor_Engine_B

CKAN not up to date....theres something new

Personally I'd leave it as Castor_engine_B because its not like the parentage is that visible in game.

What Urist said that is inaccurate is "..was a renamed a couple of weeks ago from Castor_Engine_B -> Castor_LM_Engine."

Bug found.

I hope I am not repeating one someone else has already noted. The Tavio Get-Out doesn't show up in the VAB staging icons. You have to wait until launch and then move the icon there as you see fit. I delete the part database file every time I change a mod and I have changed several since last time I installed Tantares.

This has been fixed in the config file that I posted last night.

http://i.imgur.com/NTP0szQ.png

Anyone else have this? I have no other mods installed besides the two up for download here.

Edit: There are other pieces missing acting the same way. The RCS ports are the most noticeable.

I had a part that did that. I do not have Tweakscale, however.

http://puu.sh/hZtaq/4344e15303.png

It fixed itself after reloading the game.

Is the new docking port also going to include a PMA-style adapter to standard 1.25 ports? And maybe a Pirs/Poisk style part?

Okay, I know this bug - it's because the configs currently don't have safeguards to prevent this particular scaling bug.

I'll add them, it will take a while though.

You also can't see crew inside the V-DOS-B "Heart" without clicking on the door. You also can't see your Kerbal in the Almach Ballistic Module and TK-DC03A.

Cheers, I'll add placeholders.

What Urist said that is inaccurate is "..was a renamed a couple of weeks ago from Castor_Engine_B -> Castor_LM_Engine."

Sorry yeah, it was just a little over a week ago (17th).

What's the best thing to do, change it back? Must've been a good reason to change it in the first place.

Edit: Here's a link to all of the configs that I've completed in one folder.

R-7

Proton

Kliper

The R-7 and Proton configs remove the few bugs that people have mentioned, balance the engines, make the fx work, correct for aero, etc.

Cheers for this, the bug fixes especially are handy to know.

Edited by Urist
Replied to CrisK

Sorry yeah, it was just a little over a week ago (17th).

What's the best thing to do, change it back? Must've been a good reason to change it in the first place....

Beale changed quite a few file names in recent releases, but no part names that I'm aware of. Kind of a sticky situation now. People have lost vessels in their saves at this point with the part name change, but now that 27.1 is out other people potentially will lose vessels if the part name is changed again. I'm holding at v27 for now as I don't have any problems with the parts.

Beale changed quite a few file names in recent releases, but no part names that I'm aware of. Kind of a sticky situation now. People have lost vessels in their saves at this point with the part name change, but now that 27.1 is out other people potentially will lose vessels if the part name is changed again. I'm holding at v27 for now as I don't have any problems with the parts.

Probably best to just stick to the new naming for these parts now. To not risk doing double the damage.

I'm not sure why some of these parts are in a 'misc' folder, or how wise them being that way is, especially when the Lunar Module is an actual craft and not just a miscellaneous part.

But, that's not for me to play around with.

http://i.imgur.com/NTP0szQ.png

Anyone else have this? I have no other mods installed besides the two up for download here.

Edit: There are other pieces missing acting the same way. The RCS ports are the most noticeable.

It has happened to me a few times, with tantares too (but lots of other mods, I assumed it was a compatibility issue but seems it's not the case). My guess is that the parts are rescaled through the config files and the game hiccups and resets them to their default size.

EDIT: seems I'm too late for this one

I started work on the Titan II's first stage fuel tank, but I have a question about it. What is the best way to create small pipes and whatnot running along the side of the tank for greeble? The tank needs to be much more than a simple cylinder.

I started work on the Titan II's first stage fuel tank, but I have a question about it. What is the best way to create small pipes and whatnot running along the side of the tank for greeble? The tank needs to be much more than a simple cylinder.

Best to create them as separate cylinders, rather than trying to extrude them from the main tank's faces.

Generally it will look nicer and use less polygons overall.

To dig out one of Bealie-bob's models...

3937f0d5cc.jpg

Those are 8-sided cylinders.

I don't think simple textured cylinders are universally bad, see an example of my crummy old fuel tanks.

57eb135250.jpg

but with something the size of the Titan II tank, you'll probably want to add a few bits and pieces, I agree :-) .

Edited by Urist
Formatting

Best to create them as separate cylinders, rather than trying to extrude them from the main tank's faces.

Generally it will look nicer and use less polygons overall.

To dig out one of Bealie-bob's models...

http://puu.sh/i09EH/3937f0d5cc.jpg

Those are 8-sided cylinders.

I don't think simple textured cylinders are universally bad, see an example of my crummy old fuel tanks.

http://puu.sh/i0a4b/57eb135250.jpg

but with something the size of the Titan II tank, you'll probably want to add a few bits and pieces, I agree :-) .

Alright, that wasn't too hard. Thanks for the advice.

yshap4F.png

This is going to end up as the fuel/oxidizer tank for the first stage of the Titan II. I am considering adding a smaller pipe at the bottom, as i don't have that many ideas of what to do for greeble besides pipes. :P

I am getting my dimensions from the book pictured below, so the models should be accurately sized.

16797412?wid=280&hei=280

Edited by pTrevTrevs

http://i.imgur.com/yshap4F.png

This is going to end up as the fuel/oxidizer tank for the first stage of the Titan II. I am considering adding a smaller pipe at the bottom, as i don't have that many ideas of what to do for greeble besides pipes. :P

I am getting my dimensions from the book pictured below, so the models should be accurately sized.

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/16797412?wid=280&hei=280

Haynes manuals are notoriously wrong or inaccurate. Most pictures and figures have the caption "typical assembly" or some such. ;)

Hey CrisK, in your configs the TLV_Decoupler_B is named as ALV_Decoupler_A in the part.cfg

Thank you! I uploaded the wrong part to Dropbox. I will upload the correct part right now.

Edit: I'm going to have to go through and check all of the files. It looks like Dropbox has cached the old ones. Sigh.

Edit2: fixed.

Edit3: Ariane next, then the N-1 last. I'm not sure how to balance the N-1. It seems like it will either be massively overpowered, or it will struggle compared to the Proton. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I go for realism?

Edited by CrisK

Edit3: Ariane next, then the N-1 last. I'm not sure how to balance the N-1. It seems like it will either be massively overpowered, or it will struggle compared to the Proton. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I go for realism?

I think the bottom two stages are massively overpowered (SLT 1.9 for a 45 ton payload!!)

I was thinking a 50-60 ton payload as a target (2 Protons and change) drop the a and b engine thrust to give those stages a bit more run time and stop it fighting the atmosphere so much as a starting point then see what the performance is like after a test fire

Ariane next, then the N-1 last. I'm not sure how to balance the N-1. It seems like it will either be massively overpowered, or it will struggle compared to the Proton. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I go for realism?

I would say go for 20-25 tons + full Block G at 100x100 orbit, that would be realistic. You'll need to nerf all the engines to around 75% of current power in order to achieve this.

I would say go for 20-25 tons + full Block G at 100x100 orbit, that would be realistic. You'll need to nerf all the engines to around 75% of current power in order to achieve this.
I think the bottom two stages are massively overpowered (SLT 1.9 for a 45 ton payload!!)

I was thinking a 50-60 ton payload as a target (2 Protons and change) drop the a and b engine thrust to give those stages a bit more run time and stop it fighting the atmosphere so much as a starting point then see what the performance is like after a test fire

Hmm. You two have very different ideals for a payload. What about 30-35 tons?

I think that the engines currently have too much thrust and too low efficiency. They should be more efficient so that they burn longer, but with an initial TWR of ~1.5 or so. This would make it so that the N-1 was at around 300m/s when reaching the 10,000km mark as opposed to the mach-2 speeds it can currently achieve.

http://i.imgur.com/yshap4F.png

http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/16797412?wid=280&hei=280

I want that book where do I aquire said book and is there one for the apollo missions

I want that book where do I aquire said book and is there one for the apollo missions

I found it on Amazon. I was looking for the Soyuz Owner's Workshop Manual because Beale recommended it, and ended up with Soyuz, Gemini, and Apollo 13. They also had several others, including one on Apollo 11.