[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

So will you be releasing all of the greeble that Beale never got around to, like the fins for the Soyuz and the N1 rockets,as well as the APAS and whatnot?
I was really excited for those.

Is this question directed at me?

Urist would be the one to ask :D

Hmm. You two have very different ideals for a payload. What about 30-35 tons?

I think that the engines currently have too much thrust and too low efficiency. They should be more efficient so that they burn longer, but with an initial TWR of ~1.5 or so. This would make it so that the N-1 was at around 300m/s when reaching the 10,000km mark as opposed to the mach-2 speeds it can currently achieve.

Depends if Revenant is including the Block-G in the payload, which isn't quite clear :-)

I don't know a great deal about the N1, I'll admit, but in my uneducated opinion: It's an ultra heavy lift vehicle, it should outperform the Proton by quite a large amount.

Urist would be the one to ask :D

The files are present for both the Soyuz fins and N1 grid-fins. Unfortunately, they're untextured.

I could attempt to slap something on them, or wait until Beale is ready to give them a proper paint job.

Edit: The APAS is present and textured, I'll see what I can do.

Edited by Urist
APAS.

The files are present for both Soyuz fins and N1 grid-fins. Unfortunately they're untextured.

I could attempt to slap something on them, or wait until Beale is ready to give them a proper paint job.

Do you have the APAS?

EDIT: yay

Edited by billbobjebkirk

The files are present for both the Soyuz fins and N1 grid-fins. Unfortunately, they're untextured.

Edit: The APAS is present and textured, I'll see what I can do.

Are you talking about the Grid fin & APAS models I donated a while back?

If so, both models are actually textured and share textures with other parts (however, this may have changed due to beale updating the mod).

Hmm. You two have very different ideals for a payload. What about 30-35 tons?

I think that the engines currently have too much thrust and too low efficiency. They should be more efficient so that they burn longer, but with an initial TWR of ~1.5 or so. This would make it so that the N-1 was at around 300m/s when reaching the 10,000km mark as opposed to the mach-2 speeds it can currently achieve.

Could be...I agree that the N-1 seems overpowered and under fuelled - although I noticed that when you reduce thrust the fuel flow reduces too which sometimes can fix the problem on its own

As for payload...I was thinking you'd want a significantly different throw than the proton (otherwise why bother) and most of the references I've see put it in Saturn 5 territory (wikipedia for what its' worth lists its payload at 90 tons)

I'm working on the N-1 now. I should have it up soon. I'm going to go for a higher ISP and relatively lower thrust. I'm aiming for around 75kg to low orbit, 20kg to the Mun.

Edit: I added in effects for the decouplers.

Edited by CrisK

That docking port looks a LOT like the later model shenzhou ports....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, please PLEASE make it 1.875 ... it would fill a HUGE gap in the launcher lineup ...

- - - Updated - - -

Someone requested some craft files.

Here ya go.

Contains:

Mercury

Gemini

Vostok

Soyuz

Soyuz-LOK

Shenzhou

Venera

LK lander

VA Capsule Assembly (only, not the full TKS)

R-7 Rocket

Proton Rocket

N-1 Rocket

All have lights correctly mapped to the lights action group. Action group 1 toggles the panels/etc on all craft.

The rockets are provided as regular ships, with a stayputnik at the top, so you can drag-and-drop them as subs.

These aren't "official" tantares craft files or anything, just some stuff I whipped up of my own volition.

All are designed to use only the tantares packs and stock parts.

Intended to be functional, and reasonable representations for the impatient - not 42521 part hyper-detailed FPS killers.

the mod is removed

however, this may have changed due to beale updating the mod

Heya, I think this is the case. Thanks for the extra context though.

I was wondering why the APAS appeared to have a garbled texture in-game, turns out it uses the new Soyuz texture sheet.

This is gonna make releasing it impossible until the new Soyuz is finished, unfortunately :-|

Might as well squeeze out a Vanity picture though (they seem to be popular).

def916457a.jpg

Can't say I understand the sizing, either.

It's 1.25m in diameter, which doesn't really work for the Soyuz (Though I suppose it would work with the Salyut parts).

a4269471c4.jpg

Edited by Urist
Formatting

0.9375 meters should be the size of the APAS. It would work with the new alt Soyuz parts, and still fit on Saylut and Mir parts. It could also fit inside a Mark 3 payload bay with room to spare. Of course, with the Tweakscale configs, it can be any size.

0.9375 meters should be the size of the APAS. It would work with the new alt Soyuz parts, and still fit on Saylut and Mir parts. It could also fit inside a Mark 3 payload bay with room to spare. Of course, with the Tweakscale configs, it can be any size.

Yeah, that's not a bad fit. Only problem now is that the crew hatch part is now freakishly small.

7aa25ecdc5.jpg

The N-1 rebalance and bug fix is finished. It needs tweaking. I'd appreciate feedback if anyone has the time.

Cheers, I'll take a look.

Yeah, that's not a bad fit. Only problem now is that the crew hatch part is now freakishly small.

http://puu.sh/i1Oeu/7aa25ecdc5.jpg

Hmm. Can the crew hatch be made any bigger? I don't quite see why it would be that small with a port that big. Of course, Russian docking ports do have freakishly small hatches, as seen in this:

I've posted this video in this thread before, but it is a great video displaying the interior of the ISS. The RSOS is shown around 25 minutes in if you don't want to watch the entire video. If you have some time though, I recommend watching the entire thing.

http://puu.sh/i1Oeu/7aa25ecdc5.jpg

Cheers, I'll take a look.

Model looks good, but it couldn't possibly function like that. The alignment petals would block the two mating faces from contacting, and would prevent any kind of mechanical seal. The petals have to be inside of the docking face, otherwise, the docking port doesn't make any mechanical sense. Here is what the APAS looks like mounted on the Soyuz. apas89-2.jpg Personally, I think the mating face needs to be much more pronounced, on the APAS, as well as the probe and drogue ports, and I'm still skeptical on the bevel. Also, I would loose the stock "end piece" texture on the inside of the docking port.

Speaking of models, I finished the Titan II's first stage fuel tank as far as modelling is concerned, but UV mapping is proving to be quite a challenge.

It may just be that I'm unsettled after a long day of finals, band practice, a malestrom of rain, etc. I'm going to try again tomorrow when my mind is calmer, and if I can't get it done like that, I may just see if I can get someone else to do UV mapping and possibly texturing. :huh:

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Typos, typos everywhere!

This might be kind of hard to describe, but I'm experiencing a bug in which a Kerbal on EVA seems to be almost magnetically repulsed from the TKS command pod, whenever I approach from the bottom, He seems to fly away as if he's hitting some sort of collision mesh. I would record video, but I don't have any recording software.

This might be kind of hard to describe, but I'm experiencing a bug in which a Kerbal on EVA seems to be almost magnetically repulsed from the TKS command pod, whenever I approach from the bottom, He seems to fly away as if he's hitting some sort of collision mesh. I would record video, but I don't have any recording software.

Kerbals being thrown away when going on EVA or trying to grab the ladder are well-known stock bug.

I'm not even trying to grab the ladder, and I have stock bug fix modules. I'm simply jet packing near the TKS pod and being shot off.

Are there any objects attached to the areas around the hatch? They can cause your Kerbal to spin into space, even if they're not visibly touching the hatch. If not, can you post a screenshot?

So will someone explain to me exactly why there was an APAS mounted on a Soyuz?

It was a test. You passed.