[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

So will someone explain to me exactly why there was an APAS mounted on a Soyuz?

Soyuz 22 had an APAS for the Apollo Soyuz Test Project, and another Soyuz had one so it could test the APAS port on Kristall.

EDIT: Hey, who else heard about Leonardo's relocation on the ISS? It was moved to Tranquility's foward port so commercial spacecraft will have an extra place to dock.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

Hi CrisK, found a bug with Tavio RD-01 decouplers, they won't decouple attached tanks
Bug found: Ariane fuel tank cannot be attached radially.

I will fix these today. Thanks!

Edit: I'm pretty sure that both bugs have been fixed in the latest version that I posted on Dropbox, but I will still check!

It was a test. You passed.

Seeing as it's exam week, I think that's the only test I've passed today. :P

Also, Urist, since the fins are untextured, is there any way you could just have them temporarily use the textures from the rocket they go on? To be completely honest I have no idea how texturing works, so I have no idea if you could do that or not. :D

Edited by VenomousRequiem

I can confirm that this bug is fixed in the config that I created. Keep in mind that my config files are not official. Urist is maintaining the official Tantares and TantaresLV, I am just creating these to fix little bugs, add fx, sounds, aero stuff, etc.

You can fix this before the original lift by deleting your GameData/TantaresLV/CLV folder. Replace it with the CLV folder that's on Dropbox.

Hi CrisK, found a bug with Tavio RD-01 decouplers, they won't decouple attached tanks

This was actually a bug that I had not yet fixed! Thank you for catching it. I have fixed it and a working version is now on Dropbox.

I think this might be a bit of a big request but could you look at making something of an ISS mod? At least maybe the truss sections as a lot of the parts already made can be used for it. :)

Beale has made an octagonal truss part similar to those seen on the ISS and Mir 2, and he has also promised to create a solar array similar to the ISS Main Solar Array Wing. As for the other parts, he has already decided against making them, but stock parts are pretty good representations of them already.

Model looks good, but it couldn't possibly function like that. The alignment petals would block the two mating faces from contacting, and would prevent any kind of mechanical seal. The petals have to be inside of the docking face, otherwise, the docking port doesn't make any mechanical sense. Here is what the APAS looks like mounted on the Soyuz. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yhNLkjgsG4A/TZS-rz_lW0I/AAAAAAAAcv0/P_g7CvkPYSM/s1600/apas89-2.jpg Personally, I think the mating face needs to be much more pronounced, on the APAS, as well as the probe and drogue ports, and I'm still skeptical on the bevel. Also, I would loose the stock "end piece" texture on the inside of the docking port.

Thanks for the image there, I'll see what I can manage.

That being said, they do currently lock together quite well, if only in an abstract visual way:

2de633f5dd.jpg

3c01fe7f72.jpg

239443c4bb.jpg

Speaking of models, I finished the Titan II's first stage fuel tank as far as modelling is concerned, but UV mapping is proving to be quite a challenge.

It may just be that I'm unsettled after a long day of finals, band practice, a malestrom of rain, etc. I'm going to try again tomorrow when my mind is calmer, and if I can't get it done like that, I may just see if I can get someone else to do UV mapping and possibly texturing. :huh:

Do you have any pictures of your UV mapping woes? I can potentially lend a hand.

I'm not even trying to grab the ladder, and I have stock bug fix modules. I'm simply jet packing near the TKS pod and being shot off.

No obvious problems with the collider, from the looks of things.

How about that new "clamber" mechanic that was introduced in 1.0? Does that work in orbit? Could be causing the Kerbal to do some kind of motion, without your input.

Cheers, fixed in the vanilla version too.

Looks like we need 1.875m nose cones ;-)

Also, Urist, since the fins are untextured, is there any way you could just have them temporarily use the textures from the rocket they go on? To be completely honest I have no idea how texturing works, so I have no idea if you could do that or not. :D

I Could use existing textures, that's true.

But, at the end of the day, even an untextured polygon would be functional, just ugly.

I'd rather stick to my strengths and not go anywhere near textures for the moment being.

That being said, they do currently lock together quite well, if only in an abstract visual way:

http://puu.sh/i2OOa/2de633f5dd.jpg

http://puu.sh/i2OPs/3c01fe7f72.jpg

http://puu.sh/i2OQL/239443c4bb.jpg

Bleh... I actually meant to redo that part, it was suppose to be animated. Sorry...

I am back in action kinda, a lot sooner than expected. But progress is slow (bad PC + slow internet speed).

Eh, but I can't help do a little bit of Progress progress. New texture to match the new Soyuz (this is only a new texture, no new model).

5f407560ad.jpg

The Chrysler SERV is modeled (mostly, but the flappy engines are awkward to implement).

It will hopefully be a very fun SSTO for small payloads.

5306e6418a.jpg

bfb0c51340.jpg

Model looks good, but it couldn't possibly function like that. The alignment petals would block the two mating faces from contacting, and would prevent any kind of mechanical seal. The petals have to be inside of the docking face, otherwise, the docking port doesn't make any mechanical sense. Here is what the APAS looks like mounted on the Soyuz. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yhNLkjgsG4A/TZS-rz_lW0I/AAAAAAAAcv0/P_g7CvkPYSM/s1600/apas89-2.jpg Personally, I think the mating face needs to be much more pronounced, on the APAS, as well as the probe and drogue ports, and I'm still skeptical on the bevel. Also, I would loose the stock "end piece" texture on the inside of the docking port.

Nice picture! Very good view of the port.

I don't think the "bits" (the front parts) will have colliders - so it doesn't matter how they are orientated.

But, I guess it would be nice for role-playing purposes.

Are you talking about the Grid fin & APAS models I donated a while back?

If so, both models are actually textured and share textures with other parts (however, this may have changed due to beale updating the mod).

There are many grid-fin models laying around, from you, Lack and CBBP (And my own version?) IIRC.

I know yours are textured, but I don't know what the state is of the others.

I think this might be a bit of a big request but could you look at making something of an ISS mod? At least maybe the truss sections as a lot of the parts already made can be used for it. :)

I'd recommend SXT for this. I don't really have any interest in the ISS. Sorry! :)

Edited by Beale

A view from the Soyuz descent capsule's improvised periscope, just after release of the orbital module prior to re-entry.

9Wpwra2.png

I tried reproducing the bug using hack gravity with and without things near the hatch, and the issue seems to have disappeared. If it comes back, I'll take careful note of the conditions and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

Some thoughts on Spica. Something makes the SM staging sometimes fire the engine, and sometimes decouple... As such I think following the game devs lead is in order. Decouplers are separate parts, Engines and fuel may be combined. Further, it should have a heat shield and not have the ablator "built in"

SzSSbPY.png

Not entirely clear is my thought that the visual model of the upper "band" would be a heatshield fairing, and the "belt" around the middle a decoupler.

Oh, and some orbital fun which led me to these thoughts...

YYVlJys.png

0YJwEqk.png

Edited by tg626

Has anyone noticed a bug in which the engine exhaust continuously runs on the CEM(B)

Also, when I built a replica Soyuz, it thought I was always on the ground, so I could not fast forward until I dropped the boosters and core stage.

Some thoughts on Spica. Something makes the SM staging sometimes fire the engine, and sometimes decouple... As such I think following the game devs lead is in order. Decouplers are separate parts, Engines and fuel may be combined. Further, it should have a heat shield and not have the ablator "built in"

This should actually be a really easy fix. I will check it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the image there, I'll see what I can manage.

That docking system has one port with the flaps forward (like the model) and the other port with the flaps flat..the ports were androgynous because you could swap between male and female at the flick of a switch, but they still need one port to be male and the other to be female.

Any chance of animating so we could change the mode?

Nice fuel tug! :)

A view from the Soyuz descent capsule's improvised periscope, just after release of the orbital module prior to re-entry.

http://i.imgur.com/9Wpwra2.png

Cool image, pics of the telescope? I think maybe you have shown it before, but cannot be sure :)

http://i.imgur.com/SzSSbPY.png

Not entirely clear is my thought that the visual model of the upper "band" would be a heatshield fairing, and the "belt" around the middle a decoupler.

Oh, and some orbital fun which led me to these thoughts...

http://i.imgur.com/YYVlJys.png

http://i.imgur.com/0YJwEqk.png

It's a fair point, but if I split like this way - the diameters of the connection points will be non-standard sizes. I can't really like that idea.

Nice pictures - the description overlay? :)

Welcome back, Beale! And even though your back, can you keep Urist on the team? I like his little greeble updates. x3

Many thanks.

He will be around I think, now I seem have forced him to make an account :)

Has anyone noticed a bug in which the engine exhaust continuously runs on the CEM(B)

Also, when I built a replica Soyuz, it thought I was always on the ground, so I could not fast forward until I dropped the boosters and core stage.

List of mods?

That docking system has one port with the flaps forward (like the model) and the other port with the flaps flat..the ports were androgynous because you could swap between male and female at the flick of a switch, but they still need one port to be male and the other to be female.

Any chance of animating so we could change the mode?

Yeah, this is what I was meaning how to animate it.

But, I don't think it's so bad - after all an animation will only be visual - but won't affect the actual docking mechanics.

Holds his breathing watching all these Soyuz docking port revamps - increased radius and androgynous docking port

All of my da!

Many thanks :)

I had the time to create the engine (I have submitted my thesis! :D One less thing to worry about).

7956785a22.jpg

d138913000.jpg

9a4d00d98d.jpg

9afbbf8a44.jpg

7d5cd01306.jpg

Final approach to KSC was a bit on the stomach-churning side, but I stuck the landing. :cool:

http://i.imgur.com/tI6iIUj.png

It makes me laugh a little, the strange balance of the COM.

Which set of configs are you using for this? There are more than a few Kliper configs available.

Edited by Beale