[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

So the new passive docking ports won't have the drouge in them? It doesn't look right to have that flat plate with a tiny hole inside.
They do have a drogue, it is just a little less pronounced.

Nothing that can't be changed.

I think the drogue side needs to be much more pronounced. It's got to look like the inside of a cone, not just a hole for the probe to slide into.

Really looking forward to all of this new stuff! I see that there are three different sizes of the APAS in that picture, I was going to ask if there would be different sizes!

And instead of having two different OMs for the Soyuz, why don't you just make the top a separate part? like one that tapers from whatever size the bigger docking port is down to .625?

It looks like 1.25m, 0.9375m, and .625m. I'm all for more sizes. :P

I'm gradually adding the Russian part of the ISS. This is based on the images of curtquarquesso's craft. I'm not using his because I don't want to mess with tweakscale.

http://imgur.com/a/KuUkS

Hey! Looks great. You don't have to have TweakScale or my config to open them up. The scales will be screwy, but you can fix them to your liking in the editor if you want base models to make your own crafts off of. The big things that are scaled are greeble, and docking ports. For my models, I use 0.9375m ports. As soon as Beale updates the ports, I'll be updating all the craft with ports on them... So, all of them...

Thanks to @Svm420, I knocked out the camera bug. It's a weird TweakScale thing. Venera now works fine. Getting the aeroshell off of the Fomalhaut in that soupy Eve atmosphere is a trick.

For my models, I use 0.9375m ports..

Yeah... About that... Your Soyuz still has a 0.625 meter docking port, while everything else has 0.9375 meter ports. Somehow, I was able to dock a Soyuz T to the rear port of your Mir Core Module, but attempting to dock Kvant-1, which has the same size port, doesn.t work. I can ram the ports together and waste my RCS fuel all day long, but the docking ports don't even activate the magnets like they should. I'm not sure whether or not this is an issue with the Tweakscale configs or with Tantares itself. Hell, it may have just been a bug that takes a game restart to fix.

Well, that's one Kvant-1 and a Functional Service Module gone. :P

Yeah... About that... Your Soyuz still has a 0.625 meter docking port, while everything else has 0.9375 meter ports. Somehow, I was able to dock a Soyuz T to the rear port of your Mir Core Module, but attempting to dock Kvant-1, which has the same size port, doesn.t work. I can ram the ports together and waste my RCS fuel all day long, but the docking ports don't even activate the magnets like they should. I'm not sure whether or not this is an issue with the Tweakscale configs or with Tantares itself. Hell, it may have just been a bug that takes a game restart to fix.

Well, that's one Kvant-1 and a Functional Service Module gone. :P

I chose not to put 0.9375m ports on the Soyuz and Progress vehicles because I'm going to end up having to redo them all anyways. Different sized ports still dock and all that, but yeah. That's getting fixed in the next update.

I can't replicate the docking bug unfortunately. I had issues with docking ports at one point as well. Try removing them, and re-adding them yourself from the catalog.

I know your main focus is on revamping the Soyuz itself, but for a while now I've been bugged by the Soyuz solar panels; specifically how they fold up. IRL the panels on Soyuz would fold up, not in a straight "accordion" shape like they do with the existing parts, but in a two part accordion that folds flush with the hull of the spacecraft. This is a good depiction of what the panels look like folded and extended.

is a video from old KSP showing more Soyuz panels. The deployment is very different, and how they are stowed will also be very different.

It might be tough to tell which way the panels will face when deployed for some, but to me it's simple. The face with the solar cell "outward" is the "up" side, the the side with the support structure and panel backing is the "down" side. Bobcat has already done it with his Soyuz, and MrTheBull has also done something identical with his PPTS.

However, it would be a lot of work I assume, and would entail fully remodeling and reanimating the Soyuz panels, and would possibly render the 1x2 panels unable to be built. But, it'd make the in-fairing profile of Soyuz a lot smaller, solving a bit of its size issue compared to TLV, it'd look cooler (a biggie), and while Tantares isn't intended towards realism, and considering you introduced a new scale of docking port to make Tantares more accurate with the real deal, it might not be a bad idea to look into updating the Soyuz solar panels in the future.

/rant

I chose not to put 0.9375m ports on the Soyuz and Progress vehicles because I'm going to end up having to redo them all anyways. Different sized ports still dock and all that, but yeah. That's getting fixed in the next update.

I can't replicate the docking bug unfortunately. I had issues with docking ports at one point as well. Try removing them, and re-adding them yourself from the catalog.

It's an issue with TweakScale and Tweakable Everything sometimes. Do you (the guy with the errors) have TweakableEverything installed?

I know your main focus is on revamping the Soyuz itself, but for a while now I've been bugged by the Soyuz solar panels; specifically how they fold up. IRL the panels on Soyuz would fold up, not in a straight "accordion" shape like they do with the existing parts, but in a two part accordion that folds flush with the hull of the spacecraft. This is a good depiction of what the panels look like folded and extended.
is a video from old KSP showing more Soyuz panels. The deployment is very different, and how they are stowed will also be very different.

It might be tough to tell which way the panels will face when deployed for some, but to me it's simple. The face with the solar cell "outward" is the "up" side, the the side with the support structure and panel backing is the "down" side. Bobcat has already done it with his Soyuz, and MrTheBull has also done something identical with his PPTS.

However, it would be a lot of work I assume, and would entail fully remodeling and reanimating the Soyuz panels, and would possibly render the 1x2 panels unable to be built. But, it'd make the in-fairing profile of Soyuz a lot smaller, solving a bit of its size issue compared to TLV, it'd look cooler (a biggie), and while Tantares isn't intended towards realism, and considering you introduced a new scale of docking port to make Tantares more accurate with the real deal, it might not be a bad idea to look into updating the Soyuz solar panels in the future.

/rant

It's an issue with TweakScale and Tweakable Everything sometimes. Do you (the guy with the errors) have TweakableEverything installed?

Yep. I'm on board with that. Beale expressed that he was concerned that users would be confused when placing the parts due to the fact that the attachment points will be behind the folded panels. I don't think this is a big concern anymore really since the VNP panels got revamped. They function really well, and aren't confusing at all.

Yep. TweakableEverything is a bit broken now. I've seen a lot of updates recently. I think the author is playing whack-a-mole with the bugs at the moment. I've had to get rid of it temporarily.

I was thinking about finnaly upgrading from 0.9... so does anyone know if the Kliper is FAR-compatible in the newest patch?

I created a FAR config for the Kliper and shared it in this thread. :)

The Kliper flies okay for now, but it really needs to be split into 3 parts (body, wing, flaps) to fly properly.

Semi-related, I recently found these in the classic game "Crimson Skies", and given to the USSR-like of it, can someone with better photoshopping skills shop this to KSP/Tanta-style?

SB_08_01_vodka_zpsah3nxtqa.jpg

PS It could be used as a Contract maker's logo

Cheers, flamerboy67664/SpaceEagle

I really don't think it would work well - would be really a lot more awkward to place. Borderline impossible to tell which way it is facing.

So I will say sorry, this bit of realism probably won't happen.

3069b0477c.jpg

Semi-related, I recently found these in the classic game "Crimson Skies", and given to the USSR-like of it, can someone with better photoshopping skills shop this to KSP/Tanta-style?

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg559/bien_vincent/SB_08_01_vodka_zpsah3nxtqa.jpg

PS It could be used as a Contract maker's logo

Cheers, flamerboy67664/SpaceEagle

Hi!

It's nice design.

I'll see what can be done :)

LOK SM

bddd882c3b.jpg

b50407fc0f.jpg

914f8dc36c.jpg

Now the little-brother, big-brother relationship.

68f20fc36e.jpg

Edited by Beale

I really don't think it would work well - would be really a lot more awkward to place. Borderline impossible to tell which way it is facing.

So I will say sorry, this bit of realism probably won't happen.

http://puu.sh/i6dNS/3069b0477c.jpg

Hi!

It's nice design.

I'll see what can be done :)

LOK SM

http://puu.sh/i6dpt/bddd882c3b.jpg

http://puu.sh/i6dqf/b50407fc0f.jpg

http://puu.sh/i6dvS/914f8dc36c.jpg

Now the little-brother, big-brother relationship.

http://puu.sh/i6e7o/68f20fc36e.jpg

Sorry to hear about the panels. I was really gunning for those. I play with TweakableEverything running, so I always attach solar panels with them already extended, so I suppose I'm a bit oblivious to how other people might have issues attaching them correctly. If you put text on it, any kind of text, Cyrillic, or what-not, that was only readable when the panel were oriented correctly, that would help, right? Promise me you won't totally give up on the idea? The new VNP panels fold similarly, and I've had no issues getting them orientated correctly. It just hurts me that the only thing keeping the fairings from being smaller is the edges of the solar panels jutting out. I just can't find a way to attach them satisfactorily.

I like the new LK SM. The new 0.9375m OM is going to make the craft a bit easier to make. Are you planning on revamping the Kontact docking port at all? The current probe seems so lonely all by itself.

Another brain-fart I'm having. What if you made the fuel cell on the 7K-LOK SM radially attachable, and separate? That way you could put it on anything you like. It'd certainly be more "lego-like." I'm thinking of the possible complications with it being formed to a cone and what-not, but it's an idea. Primary to that though, I'm hoping the SM will take advantage of the new 1.0 Fuel Cell config module.

Sorry to hear about the panels. I was really gunning for those. I play with TweakableEverything running, so I always attach solar panels with them already extended, so I suppose I'm a bit oblivious to how other people might have issues attaching them correctly. If you put text on it, any kind of text, Cyrillic, or what-not, that was only readable when the panel were oriented correctly, that would help, right? Promise me you won't totally give up on the idea? The new VNP panels fold similarly, and I've had no issues getting them orientated correctly. It just hurts me that the only thing keeping the fairings from being smaller is the edges of the solar panels jutting out. I just can't find a way to attach them satisfactorily.

I like the new LK SM. The new 0.9375m OM is going to make the craft a bit easier to make. Are you planning on revamping the Kontact docking port at all? The current probe seems so lonely all by itself.

Another brain-fart I'm having. What if you made the fuel cell on the 7K-LOK SM radially attachable, and separate? That way you could put it on anything you like. It'd certainly be more "lego-like." I'm thinking of the possible complications with it being formed to a cone and what-not, but it's an idea. Primary to that though, I'm hoping the SM will take advantage of the new 1.0 Fuel Cell config module.

I may revisit the panel setup in the future, but it is not a simple problem for a vanilla user.

The Kontact: I think I'll just make a LOK docking port, that is easier than trying to adept the Phobos Grunt port.

The fuel cell, I think it's best as part of the model, it gets a nice AO 'footprint' and gives the whole part a bit of asymmetry :)

Well, it is getting a bit chaotic now with parts. You may notice the APAS has a new door texture, the female port now has a drogue and the 0.9375m Salyut block.

c49a5ae9bc.jpg

393a82fe65.jpgea82151c2b.jpg

To be completely honest, I forgot the FOBOS Grunt even existed until you brought up the Kontact thing.

The Grunt is half-re-modeled. But, not for a while :)

Edited by Beale

I gotta say I'm glad we're finally getting wider docking ports. Makes things less wobbly and is a must have for me next TMK-esque ship when this mod gets updated with all the new goodies! :D Besides HOW does one kerbal get his/her helmet through the current small one? It's been kinda immersion breaking for me. Would help if kerbals didn't have such huge heads. :) Hehe. Anyway, good work Beale! After the VA stuff is done I'm really hoping to see IVA for all them parts at some point.

I gotta say I'm glad we're finally getting wider docking ports. Makes things less wobbly and is a must have for me next TMK-esque ship when this mod gets updated with all the new goodies! :D Besides HOW does one kerbal get his/her helmet through the current small one? It's been kinda immersion breaking for me. Would help if kerbals didn't have such huge heads. :) Hehe. Anyway' date=' good work Beale! After the VA stuff is done I'm really hoping to see IVA for all them parts at some point.[/quote']

It's a fair point, I imagine their helmets are collapse-able? True though, the slightly larger ports are much friendlier for the psyche. :)

Woah, this mod is seriously amazing!

I just found about it today, and I have to say it's beyond unbelievable how it fits in with the Stock Game! :D

Many thanks!

Enjoy.

Your soyuz revamp is amazing so far :) When will we get the chance to downloade these beauties ? Have a nice day !

Many thanks :)

I cannot say for sure, the only model that remains is the Shenzou thing.

After that, thankfully a lot of the colliders are done.

So, export to game will be quick-ish.

I gotta say I'm glad we're finally getting wider docking ports. Makes things less wobbly and is a must have for me next TMK-esque ship when this mod gets updated with all the new goodies! :D Besides HOW does one kerbal get his/her helmet through the current small one? It's been kinda immersion breaking for me. Would help if kerbals didn't have such huge heads. :) Hehe. Anyway' date=' good work Beale! After the VA stuff is done I'm really hoping to see IVA for all them parts at some point.[/quote']

Why would a Kerbal be wearing their helmet when inside their pressurized spacecraft? THAT is immersion breaking.

Why would a Kerbal be wearing their helmet when inside their pressurized spacecraft? THAT is immersion breaking.

One day kerbals had to chose between being safe in case of depressurization, or being able to eat snacks while the rocket lift-off.

( It still amaze me :) )

Hey, astronauts and cosmonauts wear pressure suits inside spacecraft all the time.

A cool thing to note about pressure suits. For Gemini 7, NASA developed a special soft suit that would be more comfortable to wear and easier to work with than the standard ones. It had a zipper to easily remove the helmet part, and a regular crash helmet was worn underneath the suit.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lovell_pre-launch_gemini_7.jpg

Of course, cosmonauts don't care about ease of access in space, three of them can mange to squeeze inside a Soyuz DM with regular pressure suits.

*Cough* Soyuz 11 *Cough*

This tragedy occured during a reentry maneuver. During these times a pressure suit / helmet is expeditious.

One day kerbals had to chose between being safe in case of depressurization, or being able to eat snacks while the rocket lift-off.

( It still amaze me :) )

Snacks trump everything.

Hey, astronauts and cosmonauts wear pressure suits inside spacecraft all the time.

A cool thing to note about pressure suits. For Gemini 7, NASA developed a special soft suit that would be more comfortable to wear and easier to work with than the standard ones. It had a zipper to easily remove the helmet part, and a regular crash helmet was worn underneath the suit.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lovell_pre-launch_gemini_7.jpg

Of course, cosmonauts don't care about ease of access in space, three of them can mange to squeeze inside a Soyuz DM with regular pressure suits.

Almost certainly helmets are not worn during orbital operations.