[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Heh! I can't believe that is possible, nice! :cool:

Solar panels!

From Curtquarquesso

http://i.imgur.com/7OtQAAM.gif

Needles to imitate older Soyuz designs?

http://puu.sh/klpmV/95ff798e54.jpg

http://puu.sh/klpvR/80852c5c87.jpg

Adding the antennas somewhat hampers the versatility of the panels, so I'd lean towards leaving them out.

Though, the new folding method is awesome!

Glad to help out!

On the solar panel antennas...

What if there were two distinct styles of Soyuz solar panels? We currently have tracking, and non-tracking. Soyuz solar panels have never been able to track, so why not remove their sun-tracking ability, and make two styles as not to break saves?

1. TMA style solar panels: Folds out nice and straight, with tiny, tiny antennae on the solar panel tips.

launch28modules-tmagArticle.png

2. 7K-T style solar panels: Folds out kinda wavy and crooked, with long, forward facing antennae, with smaller, trailing antennae facing rearwards.

soyuz_7k-ok-p__1.jpg

Edited by curtquarquesso

Heh! I can't believe that is possible, nice! :cool:

Solar panels!

From Curtquarquesso

http://i.imgur.com/7OtQAAM.gif

Needles to imitate older Soyuz designs?

http://puu.sh/klpmV/95ff798e54.jpg

http://puu.sh/klpvR/80852c5c87.jpg

I like the new stowed configuration, I like the slight crinkle, I like the forward facing needles. The back needles, however, look strange, although I can't put my finger on why.

Glad to help out!

On the solar panel antennas...

What if there were two distinct styles of Soyuz solar panels? We currently have tracking, and non-tracking. Soyuz solar panels have never been able to track, so why not remove their sun-tracking ability, and make two styles as not to break saves?

1. TMA style solar panels: Folds out nice and straight, with tiny, tiny antennae on the solar panel tips.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2015/03/27/science/space/launch28modules/launch28modules-tmagArticle.png

2. 7K-T style solar panels: Folds out kinda wavy and crooked, with long, forward facing antennae, with smaller, trailing antennae facing rearwards.

http://space.skyrocket.de/img_sat/soyuz_7k-ok-p__1.jpg

Perhaps it is best at this point to make some truly distinct set of panels... I will investigate options :)

The back needles, however, look strange, although I can't put my finger on why.

Because they are not accurate at all? :P

It's a shame, but because of limitations the panels have to be symmetrical like this.

Love those new concept solar panels - but if you go with the 'needles', only use top/forward facing ones to keep with the Soyuz.

Sadly not possible, the symmetry works through rotation, not actually mirroring the mesh. I suppose possibly by way of 'LookAt' constraints something could be managed, however not sure if it is worth it.

As I have an entire hour trapped in a waiting room, perhaps I can throw out a few ideas of what I'm doing next, in a big not particular order list.

- ATV solar panrls, courtesy of CurtQ.

- Cygnus++, courtesy of CurtQ

- Poisk module.

- LK texture cleanup, possible look at splitting ascent / descent.

- Finish PPTS.

Then, possibly and in no order:

- Fobos grunt rework?

- More Venera parts (Needed Orbiter)?

- Fuji rework?

- TKS rework?

- Extend Salyut part range (larger Salyut 7 or Almaz panels)?

- TMK parts? (Very old idea in thread, look back to early pages).

Should keep me occupied (alongside, yknow, life) through to the end of the year :wink:

Anything I miss?

Edited by Beale

@Beale, with regards to the solar panel antennae,

I believe if you animate the panels like normal, then at the last minute make the meshes for your antenna objects children of the end-most panel, it should work out fine. I wouldn't worry about colliders for the antenna. They're primarily aesthetic. There's got to be a way to pull it off.

Sounds like a plan.

A few other suggestions, mainly cleanup.

• Turn the 0.625m APAS-89 into an APAS-75. It'd be the perfect size, and wouldn't be as redundant.

• Turn the 1.25m TKS docking probe/drogues into CBMs. I'm currently using the CxAerospace CBMs, and they're great.

• There needs to be a smooth way to attach a 0.9375m docking probe onto the end of the TKS docking module. Currently, there are no suitable adapters. It's always a bit awkward.

• Mir 6-Way node needs some help. It's always been a bit funky. Even if it meant more polygons, could it be made more spherical? End-caps for it are also a must.

• Gemini needs some help as well. Its sizing is a bit awkward, and it's docking probe needs a counterpart. We don't need a bespoke Agena as you can already make that, but it's docking port is somewhat needed. If you do decide to make any changes, refer to my scaling guide for it a few pages back.

I think that's everything I can think of. I'll almost always prefer polish and part culling over new stuff. Heh.

Edited by curtquarquesso

@Beale, with regards to the solar panel antennae,

I believe if you animate the panels like normal, then at the last minute make the meshes for your antenna objects children of the end-most panel, it should work out fine. I wouldn't worry about colliders for the antenna. They're primarily aesthetic. There's got to be a way to pull it off.

I've seen that done before....infact, you could animate the antennas separately from the panels. I think(?) it was HGR or Bobcat's Soviet pack....

I've seen that done before....infact, you could animate the antennas separately from the panels. I think(?) it was HGR or Bobcat's Soviet pack....

HGR's. It is not sun-tracking but makes up for it by being double sided. Bobcat's was single sided, static, and without antennae. Raidernick used static panels with static antennae.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

As I have an entire hour trapped in a waiting room, perhaps I can throw out a few ideas of what I'm doing next,

Well naturally I'd reiterate what I said about adding an R5 0.9m rocket to the LV pack and changing the SAS and tech tree balance to hopefully make early game a little more clean but as for the answers you are actually looking for...

in a big not particular order list.

- ATV solar panrls, courtesy of CurtQ.

- Cygnus++, courtesy of CurtQ

- Poisk module.

- LK texture cleanup, possible look at splitting ascent / descent.

- Finish PPTS.

Since they seem to be done and well received I see no harm in implementing CQ's parts next.

the poisk module would seem to be just as fast to implement considering the speed you turned those progress modules out.

LK I'm not so sure is necessary it's currently functional, fitting, and IVA'd to boot, and since its hardware that never flew one can argue we can be looser with the historical accuracy and all. If anything it can wait in favor of expanding and fixing part sets that are less far along first...

...Like PPTS for example though my focus on the left end of the tree recently means I haven't given it much thought.

Then, possibly and in no order:

- Fobos grunt rework?

- More Venera parts (Needed Orbiter)?

- Fuji rework?

- TKS rework?

- Extend Salyut part range (larger Salyut 7 or Almaz panels)?

- TMK parts? (Very old idea in thread, look back to early pages).

I don't use fobos enough to say if it needs a rework

venera's texture sheet is looking pretty empty and the parts would be useful for other soviet science probes due to their modular seeming nature

Fuji sounds fun with you saying you may go wild speculating with it and it looks a bit dated and out of place at present(it's like the only one with a separate heat shield).

TKS rework for similar reasons to LK doesn't seem all that necessary. Maybe the IVA's? A future revamp wouldn't change the dimensions so they'd be future proof right?

There are even more salyut parts in real life!? :confused:

TMK only existed as concepts that widely varied in appearance. If they ever got around to actually building it then probably (like going wild with the japanese Fuji speculation and blending with real HTV) the russian TMK probably would have just wound up being made out of real surplus Salyut and TKS bits like Mir and the ISS russian segment so only thing we'd really need is some form of plausible large interplanetary propulsion (be it conventional, NTR, or electric)

EDIT: Oh! oooooor you could make a new larger than salyut station part or parts that cover TMK, skylab, and the apollo applications venus flyby all in one set! still using saylut mir and tks parts with a new propulsion set would probably be easier and get much the same effect.

Edited by passinglurker

Yes! Please include launch clamps and towers! It would just give that complete finish to the rockets, and there's such a limited amount of mods that add in launch clamps!

I'm working on the towers myself (and a bit around it) but I haven't done an actual part yet. I hope Beale will do it... :wink:

Tantares-sized Launchpad:

0q2mkYC.jpg?1