[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Also, I liked your old signature better, since I had AB bookmarked. :)

The last signature was super outdated. I'll need to make a new one, fit for 2015.

Nice new... avatar. April Fools?

billbobjebkirk-kun, What's April fools? ~ Desu

Yes, this is the most dangerously off-topic post I have ever made. I issue an apology and will return to regular scheduled Tantares development posts tomorrow.

My God, these fonts make my eyes bleed... Is that 1st April thing or just you guys fooling around? Either way, would you kindly stop it?

Love that little docking module! That's what my Mir lacks (and also Shuttle. And since I really suck with shuttles... anyway, that would be a nice docking place for TKS!)

Well since I know you want to branch out into the area of planes, I have some suggestions:

How about THE classic Cold War rivals? you know what I'm talking about...

The Russian MiG 28 "Flummox"

1269397512209.jpg

Mig_Sims.jpg

0013.jpg

and the American classic, the Oscar EW-5894 Fallice Tactical Fighter-Bomber:

tumblr_nknd2h3j5Y1qg98wdo5_1280.jpg

fg10.jpg

fingnat4.jpg

Edited by billbobjebkirk

My God, these fonts make my eyes bleed... Is that 1st April thing or just you guys fooling around? Either way, would you kindly stop it?

Love that little docking module! That's what my Mir lacks (and also Shuttle. And since I really suck with shuttles... anyway, that would be a nice docking place for TKS!)

Looks like you're not fond of fonts?

AKA F-5 Tiger and Folland Gnat.

Both starred in Hot Shots (Although I believe that "MiG-28" is from Top Gun).

Sorry, but this is wrong place for such things.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like you're not fond of fonts?

Me and my eyes both.

Hey all,

SO: This is Tantares Station Science/TAC LS overhaul FIRST ALPHA ATTEMPT, so feel free to take a swing at the balance and usefulness of it, and give feedback PLEASE.

*******REQUIRES FIRESPITTER, STATION SCIENCE, and TAC LIFE SUPPORT**********************

*******PLEASE DON'T BUG BEALE IF THEY AREN'T IDEAL (heh). Write it here or PM me************

All i have really graced is the Salyut, TKS, and Cygnus vessels.

ALL LABS/ETC ARE HALF AS EFFECTIVE AS THEIR COUNTERPARTS, BUT MUCH LIGHTER

It works as follows:

Cygnus - now has several MM clones that perform different missions. You can send up any one of the six Station Science experiments individually with the Cygnus, or there is a seventh variant USING FIRESPITTER that has the option to swap between life support necessities, fuel, monoprop/elec, and kibbal. The original cygnus module still exists as well

SALYUT - now the largest tubes, the V-C1s, are capable of being spectrometers or cyclometrons. Their size really suited the feel. This means if you want to do some SERIOUS station science, you have a reason to haul a heavy-ass station element into space rather than just an empty tube that looks nice. The V-C2s now function as laboratories, zoology bay, or simply a very large crew habitat for 4 with accompanying life storage. I figure if you're going to haul one of those into space, it better be worth it. The V-C3s, the smallest tubes, now serve as either a 2 man habitat, or as a "life support" hub with large amounts of electricity, and all the recyclers for oxygen and water that one would expect. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE LIFE SUPPORT SUPPLIES, so make sure you include them or you'll have a bad time.

TKS - The Spektre module now has a double that is a spectrometer. There is no reason, just... it makes me laugh every time. The TK-OB05A, the smaller TKS tube, now functions like the V-C3, as either a small habitat or a life support recycler and power source. The TK-OB10A, the larger tube, is now a zoology bay and laboratory just like the V-C2.

ISSUES/CONCERNS/FUTURE GOALS:

- There is no real "power hub", it feels, though you can easily chain a few crew support hubs together and has massive amounts of power. I am not sure how i feel about this, as on the one hand i really like the idea of forcing you to slap batteries or the outside of the station and make it into a big ugly mess for a true Salyut/MIR feeling. However, if you want to assemble a nice balanced one, feel free and i'll add it.

- SPEAKING OF BALANCE - This is far from balanced. I have increased the prices to each module QUITE a bit. I *would* increase them more but i don't want them to be insanely prohibitive. I have placed them in tech tree locations where i feel they are fairly accessible. I would not like to see these so far down the tech tree that there's no point in having them as you don't need science anymore. Generally they line up with either where the Tantares pieces would be accessible anyways, or where the SS modules would be anyways. However i am all ears about balance issues!

- I have been insanely generous with the life support available, on the few parts i have touched. The way i see it, most stations were well supplied for up to 3 months, there's no reason to be sending up a supply ship a week just to keep your Station Science modules going. How annoying does it get to warp for 3 minutes, slow down, send a new supply ship up, and then warp for 3 minutes again.

- FUTURE GOAL - Different textures for the Cygnus modules depending on what they are carrying.

FUTURE GOAL - Maybe integrate Nehemiah's station experiments, they are pretty Soviet in their style. But they are largely IVA which i don't even touch...

NOW, IF YOU READ THROUGH ALL THAT, HERE IS THE LINK FOR TESTING: Tantares SS/TLS Overhaul

Hey there. Just playing around with this now (in between crashes, at least; not your fault!). I wondered at the masses of the modules, and how they're balanced? The 'new' lab modules seem like that they aren't much heavier than their 'stock' counterparts, with the exception of the biology lab?

I'm also curious as to the efficiency. 0.5 eurekas/ kerbal vs 1 eureka/3 kerbals. it might take longer, but are these new modules more efficient per kerbal hour? ( I wonder what these little guys think of efficiency. I guess it depends on who is driving the space program!)

I am not running tac (or career mode either, come to think of it) at the moment, so I can't really comment on those details, that is the cost of the modules. (Snacks! Ftw!)

Looking forward to playing around with this a bit, thanks for putting it together!

Komrade, you are right, MiG-28s are the basis of Soviet air might and should be represented in game! :D

Can you make me a giant space cake? I'll nuke you if you don't!

If you're going to make a space cake, Beale, make a space donut while you're at it! In fact, I propose the creation of several food based craft for Tantares! People will love it, I promise!

yes, it is still April first in America. I bet nobody will see this until the second though, because of time zones. We should just outlaw the damn things and make it the same time!

My latest design, a combination of Tantares, Stock, and AB Launchers. LK Lander has relocatable cargo boxes and is loaded with a Build-A-Rover™ kit facilitated by KAS.

XRcXkuW.png

Obviously VERY influenced by the Titan IIIC (I call this launcher GOLIATH), and before I am asked - the nesting SRBs on the GETOUT LES tower are fired along with the LES decoupling and chute deployment action group to pull the tower away from the capsule during an abort.

Edited by tg626

It would be nice if we get a space loaf trophy aboard our new Soyuz IVA.

- - - Updated - - -

Are these moderator colored profile names Squads 1st April Joke?

Edited by Djolox

When will you make a Space Shuttle Beale-Sempai?

But! Its not not like I love the Space Shuttle or anything..... Baka!!

But the Space Shuttle is 'murrican. He should do the Burrito or what's it called instead. A perfect project for a humble bread.

But the Space Shuttle is 'murrican. He should do the Burrito or what's it called instead. A perfect project for a humble bread.

Nah, the shuttle is Buran but they maybe were flying Tacos and Burritos onboard.

Hey there. Just playing around with this now (in between crashes, at least; not your fault!). I wondered at the masses of the modules, and how they're balanced? The 'new' lab modules seem like that they aren't much heavier than their 'stock' counterparts, with the exception of the biology lab?

I'm also curious as to the efficiency. 0.5 eurekas/ kerbal vs 1 eureka/3 kerbals. it might take longer, but are these new modules more efficient per kerbal hour? ( I wonder what these little guys think of efficiency. I guess it depends on who is driving the space program!)

Mmm yeah:

If you thumb through the config, i havn't touched the weights at all yet. I wouldn't like to change them TOO much, at most double a few of them, but if you compare the size of the modules, in general Beale's tubes are MUCH smaller than the SS tubes. I'd be interested in input for proper weights for them, maybe 1.5* each (The stock tube plus the equipment? Not sure. Want it to maintain a gamey feel), but its not something i've deeply considered yet.

As to the efficiency ... thats one I'd certainly like to hear as well. I CONSIDERED having 2 or 3 kerbals per lab, but on that i have a fundamental problem with how SS works: If you were to have as many labs as the ISS, for instance, you would need 8-10 kerbals working fulltime, as well as whatever kerbals you would need to pilot, do EVA, etc etc. I get that some people like to have huge 100 kerbal stations, but i just... i disagree with SS in that you shouldn't need that many kerbals to keep a station running every experiment you want. If you assembled a Tantares MIR with every laboratory, you would need i think ... and this is rough off-hand ... you would need 3-4 kerbals at most? 1 for zoo, 1 for lab, 1 to do any piloting needed and maybe an engineer if you run with KIS/Dang-it etc. And thats how the ISS often functions. Thats how the MIR functioned in its day. A 3 man crew can maintain a LOT of things at once. What i'm saying is, you're right, the new labs are actually more "efficient" ... just slower. I just feel like, when compared to real life, thats much more realistic, while still maintaining a gamey, "dont have to shuffle people everywhere" feeling.

But yes i would LOVE feedback on cost and weight adjustments for certain. What weights especially would feel more right to you?

So, I've been thinking about the future of this mod, and I think I've found the best way to move Tantares into the 21st century: do away with construction. It can be incredibly hard to figure out which pieces are supposed to go on which ships, so why not make all of the ships just one part? it makes the mod far simpler and more intuitive to use.

I'd suggest having in Tantares huge Solar Concentrators from Mir-2 and some truss segments. Especially cool thing: radial truss-formated docking point, to put on blocks where you want to install them by using KAS.

So, I've been thinking about the future of this mod, and I think I've found the best way to move Tantares into the 21st century: do away with construction. It can be incredibly hard to figure out which pieces are supposed to go on which ships, so why not make all of the ships just one part? it makes the mod far simpler and more intuitive to use.
I personally disagree. What if I forgot which part is for any ship? It would be better if mod had only one part at all, and from different angles it would look like different ships. It's also very easy to model this way, and it can save a lot of space on textures if Beale just used photoes instead of doing those stupid square thingies with dissected ships.

I personally disagree. What if I forgot which part is for any ship? It would be better if mod had only one part at all, and from different angles it would look like different ships. It's also very easy to model this way, and it can save a lot of space on textures if Beale just used photoes instead of doing those stupid square thingies with dissected ships.

This "photo" idea is clearly inferior to having Tantares dedicated to being a mod which replicates various kinds of unhealthy foods. For life support users, a feature could be added to allow Kerbals to eat their ships for food! I'm telling you, this idea will take Tantares farther than ever before! The devs will put the mod in "Modding Mondays" every week because of how great it is!

Edited by pTrevTrevs

It also reduces part spam! I like how you managed to make a worse idea than I did