[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

are you ready to show the crowd about the models,beale?

They've been a bit neglected at the moment :sealed:

I've been messing about with some plugin stuff, but come the weekend I should be able to get the ATV textured up and ready to show :)

http://i.imgur.com/uspknYX.png

Tantares, 1.875m rescaled Pollux, 1.25m rescaled Pollux, 0.625m Pollux, 2.5m SDHI/Stock CM

I think the 0.625m version is very small, 1.875 is a bit too big.

1.25m would fit nicely in my opinion.

Very interesting seeing them all side by side...

1.25m does look more natural in that frame, I agree.

I'll try these configs myself and see what works best, thanks for demonstrating these size differences :)

Edit: just noticed in the picture.

Did I release the van in the last update :o ?

Oops...

Edited by Beale

I have a question about the Hamal, In what ways is the assembly different from the Tantares besides the different control block and orbital module? As in, does it use a parachute, or something along those lines?

The real life Progress is destroyed on re-entry. So in general I would say the Hamal control block connect straight onto the orbital module. Of course you can mix it up a little, if you wish :)

Beale, please do the ETS Europa launch vehicle. That would be amazing.
Mám dotaz ohledně Hamal, jakým způsobem je montáž liší od Tantares kromě jiného řídicího bloku a orbitální modul? Stejně jako v, to použít padák, nebo něco v tomto směru? [/ Quote]

-snip-/QUOTE]

I was looking at these earlier, quite tempting!

ATV

Making a thermal blanket texture is something entirely new to me.

Really WIP, but:

Thoughts? Stick to bare metal or fabric coating? It should look better with normal + specular map.

26b65eeeeb.jpg

Hi, I found another issue with the TKS (Sorry, but I really have a soft spot for it). It's great that it is controllable from the control block, but the control block is oriented so that it flies "backwards". I know it's confusing with a TKS, but bear with me. A TKS is launched with the capsule up, but its cargo block engines should point upwards at launch. After separation from the booster it should flip 180° and face with the docking port and the control block forward and with the capsule backward. When you try to control it from the control block (the double-cone shaped part), you have to transfer a kerbal there (which is great), but when you try to "control it from here", the craft retains the same orientation as when controlled from the capsule.

Now this is a minor point as long as you use a docking port in the "front/bottom", but it complicates its use in IVA - the kerbal is looking out of the window in the correct direction, but the indicators are backwards.

Is it possible to have a part that would have the control direction as "down" in the VAB?

Also, the TAC imbalances are still there. I checked, the stock 3-kerbal capsule has 3 units of oxygen. The VA capsule has about 1600. I don't know how long either will last, but I think that much shouldn't be there.

I do appreciate shifting the parts in the tech tree, thanks! It makes much more sense now!

Hi, I found another issue with the TKS (Sorry, but I really have a soft spot for it). It's great that it is controllable from the control block, but the control block is oriented so that it flies "backwards". I know it's confusing with a TKS, but bear with me. A TKS is launched with the capsule up, but its cargo block engines should point upwards at launch. After separation from the booster it should flip 180° and face with the docking port and the control block forward and with the capsule backward. When you try to control it from the control block (the double-cone shaped part), you have to transfer a kerbal there (which is great), but when you try to "control it from here", the craft retains the same orientation as when controlled from the capsule.

Now this is a minor point as long as you use a docking port in the "front/bottom", but it complicates its use in IVA - the kerbal is looking out of the window in the correct direction, but the indicators are backwards.

Is it possible to have a part that would have the control direction as "down" in the VAB?

Also, the TAC imbalances are still there. I checked, the stock 3-kerbal capsule has 3 units of oxygen. The VA capsule has about 1600. I don't know how long either will last, but I think that much shouldn't be there.

I do appreciate shifting the parts in the tech tree, thanks! It makes much more sense now!

Hi!

I am aware of the TKS control, block orientation stuff. It's tricky, I could have the part default being flipped upside down, but that seems a bit of a fudge solution to the issue + it would break saves.

Yeah, controlling from the docking port somewhat fixes the issue (aside from IVA), but that still isn't great.

For now, I'll see if there is someway to flip orientation. :)

On TAC, you'll have to forgive me as I don't use it and don't really know what's "standard". The VA Capsule is from TAC's "Auto-Add_Resources" function for a 3-Kerbal part. I'll probably base the next releases TAC config on the bespoke configs made for stock parts :)

Edit: A temporary solution to the orientation issue, but if you have raster prop monitor, you can use the "Target" menu to select the rear docking port and control IVA with the correct orientation.

Edited by Beale

The real life Progress is destroyed on re-entry. So in general I would say the Hamal control block connect straight onto the orbital module. Of course you can mix it up a little, if you wish :)

Progress-M variant could use VKB-Raduga return capsule (it was ejected from docking module during reentry)

Hmm, that body looks like MPLM, not ATV. Better give it a fabric coating.

Another suggestion, if I may. Could you perhaps add "empty" monoprop or fuel containers to the resupply craft for those of us that don't use life support? That way they'd be available as tweakables, but wouldn't be onboard by default. It would also give us a reason to use the Hamal / Progress / Etc.

By empty I just mean amount=0 while maxamount=100, or some value that makes sense.

(Edit: Sorry about the incomplete post earlier. My phone got excited and posted before I was done typing.)

Edited by Cydonian Monk
Phone derp.

the ATV looks really good! perhaps the texture on the top can be rotated so that the lines... well, line up.

Unfortunately, the "tiles" are of a different size, so it's impossible ;.;

Progress-M variant could use VKB-Raduga return capsule (it was ejected from docking module during reentry)

Hmm, that body looks like MPLM, not ATV. Better give it a fabric coating.

Never knew about the progress-M, thanks for the info :)

Here's the ATV "with" the fabric coating.

aac7157838.jpg

278c6668bf.jpg

Another suggestion, if I may. Could you perhaps add "empty" monoprop or fuel containers to the resupply craft for those of us that don't use life support? That way they'd be available as tweakables, but wouldn't be onboard by default. It would also give us a reason to use the Hamal / Progress / Etc.

(Edit: Sorry about the incomplete post earlier. My phone got excited and posted before I was done typing.)

Already done :) , next release

Also tweakable LiquidFuel and Oxidizer "slots"

This can make the itty bitty Cygnus quite heavy...

Unless you mean separate MonoProp parts, in which case, that could be done.

Edited by Beale

Already done :) , next release

Cool. Shouldn't need separate parts, just a bit onboard the existing supply part. Thanks!

This can make the itty bitty Cygnus quite heavy...

Understood. Ideally one wouldn't use all the tweakables contents at the same time, or they would be scaled such that if all were "full" they'd not fill up the container, but that's not within the capabilities of the stock game and needs RealFuels or something like it.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

I say with fabric, the texturing just adds a bit more realism and depth to the spacecraft, love your work btw. Also, I don't know if this has been asked sorry if it has, but how big will the ATV be as the cygnus was smaller?

Hi! It's 2.5m :)

Roughly half the size of the real one, but fits with stock parts.

98a6fb1c56.jpg

have you 'silhouetted' any other parts?

[also, 100th page! someone give me a trophy! congrats beale!]

100 pages... I can't believe its this long now! :)

Here's the fuel tank also.

8c93d7e6df.jpg

f02e25dd7d.jpg

lots of release mistakes--

next thing you'll be accidentally releasing your bank pin!

:cool:

You gotta start keeping a second folder for random non-Tantares parts since you keep doing that!

Haha! I really do, Exporting to the Tantares folder is my Unity laziness.

ATV Engine.

Simple, but should look alright when done.

77e2abf38e.jpg

1000 get

Edited by Beale