[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

1 minute ago, Beale said:

That... nobody else ever got that AFAIK. Are you using AutoStrut? Enable advanced tweakables in options menu and autostrut to heaviest.

Sounds like an issue with your install if not that, I think.

I auto strut everything, and still I have this problem. I've always had this problem with Tantares.

1 minute ago, Dragon01 said:

Try not doing that, then. Autostrutting has been known to occasionally induce strange behavior.

And have wobbly rockets? No thanks. 

I've never had a problem with autostruts with any mod, but Tantares. 

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I've never had a problem with autostruts with any mod, but Tantares. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you autostrut to heaviest? Works fine always for me.
Don't make my parts different to anyone else so IDK, they should behave the same as vanilla.

Make sure self collisions isn't turned on, delete the partDatabase.cfg from the KSP root and try a clean install I think.

If still issues, I think best make a new thread in the technical support forum, sounds like a really strange bug.

Edited by Beale

48 minutes ago, JoshTheKerbal said:

they don't work on my version (1.10.0)

Modders were only able to fix fairings following some changes in KSP 1.10.1, they will be broken no matter what in KSP 1.10. Would suggest upgrading.

I'll put it another way: try using the bare minimum of struts you need. Strut the first stage to root, the LES to root, maybe one fuel tank in the middle, and leave it at that. In particular, engines do not need to be autostrutted. 

8 minutes ago, Beale said:

That... nobody else ever got that AFAIK. Are you using AutoStrut? Enable advanced tweakables in options menu and autostrut to heaviest.

FIY, this is a bad idea, never strut to heaviest part except in non-rocket applications. On a rocket, the heaviest part is invariably some sort of fuel tank. As the fuel is drained, it'll stop being the heaviest part, followed by KSP restrutting the whole thing to the now-heaviest part. Then, Kraken time. Not always, but it's caused problems in the past. Only strut to heaviest part when you're certain it's not a fuel tank, or if it's a fuel tank which, when empty, still outmasses everything else.

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

Modders were only able to fix fairings following some changes in KSP 1.10.1, they will be broken no matter what in KSP 1.10. Would suggest upgrading.

Doh! I missed the .0! Many thanks.

Yes everyone just FYI - The fairings will only work on 1.10.1. Unfortunately that's out of my control for earlier versions.

2 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

I'll put it another way: try using the bare minimum of struts you need. Strut the first stage to root, the LES to root, maybe one fuel tank in the middle, and leave it at that. In particular, engines do not need to be autostrutted. 

FIY, this is a bad idea, never strut to heaviest part except in non-rocket applications. On a rocket, the heaviest part is invariably some sort of fuel tank. As the fuel is drained, it'll stop being the heaviest part, followed by KSP restrutting the whole thing to the now-heaviest part. Then, Kraken time. Not always, but it's caused problems in the past. Only strut to heaviest part when you're certain it's not a fuel tank, or if it's a fuel tank which, when empty, still outmasses everything else.

I've never had a problem with autostruting everything to the heaviest. It's only Tantares mod that has a problem with it. 

Yeah, rigid link especially invites that behavior. These features should be used just enough to eliminate wobble, but not more. The few times I used Tantares, I did find it to be more wobbly than, say, BDB, but it was not unusable. 

3 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

Do you use rigid link as well? Don't use it along with autostrut.

1 minute ago, Dragon01 said:

Yeah, rigid link especially invites that behavior. These features should be used just enough to eliminate wobble, but not more. The few times I used Tantares, I did find it to be more wobbly than, say, BDB, but it was not unusable. 

Oh my gosh. It's the rigid link. WHY?! Why is that the thing that's breaking Tantares and can only be fixed by KJR? 

Because you're overreacting to rocket wobble by overconstraining the system, and KJR "fixes" it by locking you out of the process and applying its own, more restrained method. Under the hood, KJR is just an automatic autostrutter, or at least it was last time I looked. FIY, I haven't used KJR in a long while, and haven't had any wobble or rockets coming apart problems. 

2 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Because you're overreacting to rocket wobble by overconstraining the system, and KJR "fixes" it by locking you out of the process and applying its own, more restrained method. Under the hood, KJR is just an automatic autostrutter, or at least it was last time I looked. FIY, I haven't used KJR in a long while, and haven't had any wobble or rockets coming apart problems. 

Well, I have to use Autostrut on everything otherwise my fear of wobble makes me sweat. That's why I have Editors Extentions and have it autostrut everything to heavy. Any craft, any size, any time. 

Stick with KJR, then. If it was so easy as autostrutting everything to heaviest, Squad wouldn't have made it a toggle. Usually, what you need is a one or two parts anchored to the root, and this will take away all wobble. Only the biggest rockets and large side boosters really need autostrutting. Engines that are not part of a stack, but hanging off a mount, also don't contribute to wobble. This is why I don't like engines with integrated tankbutts, or Tantares-style integrated clusters, they are part of the stack and do contribute to wobble.

Edited by Guest

Autostrut is enough on Tantares at least on previous versions, I haven't tried the last one yet.   And BTW when you put the MH DLC SaturnV like five engine cluster tank under the 5m stock tank and use both autostrut and rigid link, it krakens the Hell out of the rocket as well as you declamps the rocket on take off. So it is not a Tantares problem.

10 hours ago, Beale said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Don't see anything obvious. The parts shouldn't even have variant icons unless you're using TNIC for example.

azafNV9.jpeg

7 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Mars Probes! first one is mars 1 I think, second maybe mars 2/3

It's the same part, just front and back. 

It's the Mars 1M flyby probe or... it's Venera 1, a Venus Flyby Probe. Which are identical in almost every way really. 

Edited by GoldForest

It took a bit of noodling about, but I finally topped my Gemini/Soyuz mashup from a good while back.

I give you the Apollo/N1.

Qfbnnej.png
MRjFHvh.png
3ve2fsa.png
AoHUOzt.png

Edited by Jack Wolfe

1 hour ago, Beale said:
  • Visible light camera
  • Cosmic ray detector
  • Ion trap
  • Magnetometer

3LtrBlY.jpg

Ah, so it's not a robot pawn from a new chess game you're writing. And I was so sure of it.  :D

The fairings can't be merely patched for 1.10.0, as the stock procedural fairing module wants the fairing base object (i.e., in the .mu file) to be named "mesh".  In 1.10.1, the "mesh" name can now be overridden in the .cfg, but in 1.10.0, Beale would have to go into Unity and change the base object name to "mesh" for all of the Tantares fairings...needless to say, he (nor any other modder) wants to do that.