[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Yes the launchers are in a poorly balanced state currently.

I concur. The Proton for example is too OP. The first two stages alone could lob a sizable payload into 100 km LKO, rendering the third stage pretty much redundant. In real life, the third stage is used for the final part of atmospheric ascent, with a fourth stage such as the Blok-D or Briz-M for pushing payloads beyond Low Earth Orbit, such as to GEO. The KSP Proton should be rebalanced to these specifications.

I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the PPTS. It's just like any other capsule to make, right? Model it, code it, export it to the game, work out any bugs, repeat for the SM and heat shield and what not... why is there so much disscusion and time going into it? :P

It's not a bad idea, but I'm pretty confident it couldn't be executed well. There'd be a visible chunky line where the two parts connect. Besides that, it'd be totally useless for any other purpose because it'd have to be made specifically to work with the shape of the PPTS. Even with my little docking window, you can't just put it where it belongs. You have to put it on the side of the OM where it's tangent to the curve, then move it upwards and in with the clipping tools. You can also just attach it to the side of the docking port and slide it down and out. It'd be a nightmare with the PPTS. Hopefully, PPTS will fly one day either way.

Yep, this is the reason a separate part would not work, pretty much :)

b04937bc71.jpg

99be9eeb27.jpg

101248b1ab.jpg

Heatshield and Heatshield Fairing (to 1.875m).

e4e1429168.jpg

How it may look.

18ea35d8ab.jpg

I'm not sure I understand what's wrong with the PPTS. It's just like any other capsule to make, right? Model it, code it, export it to the game, work out any bugs, repeat for the SM and heat shield and what not... why is there so much disscusion and time going into it? :P

It's a spacecraft that has undergone many re-design - so there is no such clear picture as what it actually looks like.

I concur. The Proton for example is too OP. The first two stages alone could lob a sizable payload into 100 km LKO, rendering the third stage pretty much redundant. In real life, the third stage is used for the final part of atmospheric ascent, with a fourth stage such as the Blok-D or Briz-M for pushing payloads beyond Low Earth Orbit, such as to GEO. The KSP Proton should be rebalanced to these specifications.

The first stage seems to have a too low of TWR in my playing around, but not sure on exact changes needed.

I was playing around with this mod without any other mods installed and capsules that used to have ivas had no ivas

They're not all complete yet, you can click the exterior hatch in the time being :)

Edited by Beale

Yep, this is the reason a separate part would not work, pretty much :)

http://puu.sh/iMawa/b04937bc71.jpg

http://puu.sh/iMaxh/99be9eeb27.jpg

http://puu.sh/iMaQA/101248b1ab.jpg

Heatshield and Heatshield Fairing (to 1.875m).

http://puu.sh/iMb0W/e4e1429168.jpg

How it may look.

http://puu.sh/iMbhP/18ea35d8abs.jpg

Looks great. I can't tell the dimensions exactly that you have so far, but I had a thought.

9UQ399vm.jpg

Recess it by just a little bit, so that you can lower the 0.9375m docking port into it a bit. You can choose whether to put the attach node in the recess, or flush with the top surface, but I'd provide a small recess that's 0.9375m in diameter.

ptknp_2009_leo_sunrise_1.jpg

As you can see in most PPTS images, the outside edges of the docking port aren't flush. There's a lip. The benefit to this would be allowing stock 1.25m docking ports to fit on it, and not look silly. If the top were 0.9275m total, it'd be useless to anyone who doesn't prefer the 0.9375m size.

Are you going to let people clip their own legs into the capsule, or are you going to build them into the heat shied? It looks like tygoo managed to get legs on his Tundra capsule, and as far as I know, they work pretty well.

Hey, I thought the Kliper was coming next! How's work going on that anyway?

PPTS is more attractive in the short term, easier to produce :)

No work has been done on the Kliper for a while.

Looks great. I can't tell the dimensions exactly that you have so far, but I had a thought.

http://i.imgur.com/9UQ399vm.jpg

Recess it by just a little bit, so that you can lower the 0.9375m docking port into it a bit. You can choose whether to put the attach node in the recess, or flush with the top surface, but I'd provide a small recess that's 0.9375m in diameter.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/images/spacecraft/ppts/ptknp_2009_leo_sunrise_1.jpg

As you can see in most PPTS images, the outside edges of the docking port aren't flush. There's a lip. The benefit to this would be allowing stock 1.25m docking ports to fit on it, and not look silly. If the top were 0.9275m total, it'd be useless to anyone who doesn't prefer the 0.9375m size.

It's current 1.25m top, the 0.9375m ports do not look... amazing when clipped in, but that can be fixed. :)

c4437ce19a.jpg

Are you going to let people clip their own legs into the capsule, or are you going to build them into the heat shied? It looks like tygoo managed to get legs on his Tundra capsule, and as far as I know, they work pretty well.
will there be new landing legs for the PPTS?

This is a difficult question "I will try" is the best answer I can say :)

Ohhh! I like that capsule! Yes please. For crying out loud let it stay! It having no chin gives it more freedom to go creative crazy and since it's a new capsule in real life too there's just no excuse for it not to have over 4 RPM screens!

Glad you like :)

Glad you like :)

Only now I realize all this PPTS hype. It'd be the perfect alternative to stock's rather ugly CM (I never even use the stock pod because of it, too ugly to look at and too mainstream plus it's IVA looks like it was cobbled together in a junkyard, even with Ven's revamp it fails to find use in my designs). Point is I've accumulated quite a few design ideas I could do with a pod like PPTS. :D

Yeah! Exactly. The size looks perfect. That's totally doable. Neat stuff. :)

Here is fixed version.

576e0fcd2e.jpg

Only now I realize all this PPTS hype. It'd be the perfect alternative to stock's rather ugly CM (I never even use the stock pod because of it' date=' too ugly to look at and too mainstream plus it's IVA looks like it was cobbled together in a junkyard, even with Ven's revamp it fails to find use in my designs). Point is I've accumulated quite a few design ideas I could do with a pod like PPTS. :D[/quote']

It will fill some niche... I hope.

ec97b847eb.jpg

So, PPTS will eventually get an IVA too, right?

That small problem is being solved now... :wink:

Six seats.

729e2abe2e.jpg

Sorry for IVA progress, many like Vostok end in limbo.

4873780f93.jpg

So, since the "Chin" will be attatched seperatly, could you intergrate the RCS into it? Make nice and sciency. :0

You misunderstand a little, the gondola section is being dropped completely :)

Edited by Beale

The first stage seems to have a too low of TWR in my playing around, but not sure on exact changes needed.

Funnily enough that was my first thought, but to make the whole system work you need to lower total DeltaV so even when I brought the lower stage up to the correct TWR it wasn't working right without lowering the ISP to ludicrous levels.

What I didn't notice was the proportions of fuel in the stages for the 2nd and third stages were about right, the fuel amount in the first stage was way to high, after adjusting that it turned out the first stage thrust was about right (not having all that fuel weight to lift) and the Total system Delta V was much closer to what I was happy with

Funnily enough that was my first thought, but to make the whole system work you need to lower total DeltaV so even when I brought the lower stage up to the correct TWR it wasn't working right without lowering the ISP to ludicrous levels.

What I didn't notice was the proportions of fuel in the stages for the 2nd and third stages were about right, the fuel amount in the first stage was way to high, after adjusting that it turned out the first stage thrust was about right (not having all that fuel weight to lift) and the Total system Delta V was much closer to what I was happy with

It could be due to the massive weight of the first stage, this is true :)

How is it you calculate the fuel amounts of the first stage? I got the current numbers by sizing against stock tanks, but it is not so accurate.

Oh, look at this. Someone tossed down a gauntlet. Time to start postulating Mir 3, I think. :)

Ready, mark, GO!

When I release the beta.

Quick PPTS Interior

Very bland without props, but atleast the PPTS will be available with an IVA from the beginning.

ca1e267a68.jpg

350e154d00.jpg

Oh, very nice. Are you going to push the PPTS out before you go off to your bread business?

Also, I found something of a bug... Above the Soyuz OM's docking port, I have an up-side-down interstage fairing adapter for half of the fairing for a realistic style abort; however, once I launch this, the Tavio G3T-00T overheats the fairing adapter and it explodes. I really really can't imagine that's supposed to happen...

I play with DangIt so the LES is very important to me.

Edit- Both of the towers don't seem to even have a staging icon either. Tantares LV hasn't been updated to 1.0.4, has it? Does that have anything to do with it?

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Oh, very nice. Are you going to push the PPTS out before you go off to your bread business?

Also, I found something of a bug... Above the Soyuz OM's docking port, I have an up-side-down interstage fairing adapter for half of the fairing for a realistic style abort; however, once I launch this, the Tavio G3T-00T overheats the fairing adapter and it explodes. I really really can't imagine that's supposed to happen...

I play with DangIt so the LES is very important to me.

Edit- Both of the towers don't seem to even have a staging icon either. Tantares LV hasn't been updated to 1.0.4, has it? Does that have anything to do with it?

I've already looked into this. All of my interstages have issues. It's definitely a procedural fairings thing. They just explode due to overheating before any staging events on the pad, as soon as they load. I've seen other reports on that thread. It's supposedly fixed, but I'm not sure.

Edited by curtquarquesso

Hi, I've been trying to install your mod for a few months now and I cannot get the installation right. I have gotten it to where a few parts will show in the VAB but not all. Could you respond with a short installation tutorial?

If you're downloading Tantares, and TantaresLV, you'll need to download them both, and drop the folders named "Tantares" and "TantaresLV" in your GameData folder with your other mods. If you have further problems, post a screenshot of all the items in your GameData folder. Tantares is just a parts mod, and has no weird plugins, conflicts, or dependencies. Also, specify whether you're in Sandbox, or Career mode. It could also be that you simply haven't unlocked them yet. I know it sounds obvious, but I have to ask. :P