[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

First time writing in this thread, but I've been using Tantares for quite a while. I like where it's going.

But I do have a bit of an issue with reëntry. I was trying a design with the Orion capsule, and the ablator basically is disintegrating very quickly and the heat is going off the chart. Is this because of the new heat mechanics? I'd like to use the capsules but I'm not really sure what the deal is. I haven't had this happen prior to 1.0.4, so I don't really know what's causing it.

It could be due to the massive weight of the first stage, this is true :)

How is it you calculate the fuel amounts of the first stage? I got the current numbers by sizing against stock tanks, but it is not so accurate.

I used a kinda silly methodology..I assumed the 2nd stage tank was reasonably well sized based on volume, the bottom stage less so because of its shape

In the brochure for a Proton Breeze M launch it lists the propellant amounts of the 1st and 2nd stage the ratio in RL is 2.7:1

The ratio Tantares uses is 4.1:1

Now those ratios are interesting because 4.1:1 is close to the ratio of SLThrust for the Rl Prtoton 1st stage to 2nd stage and 2;7 is close to the Tantares figures, I already knew the 2nd stage was delivering too much thrust to make me happy because it was managing a TWR of 1.6 on KSP test launches and I was looking for around 1.0 for the second stage...so I assumed you'd reversed them on your spreadsheet somehow when you were doing the numbers

TLDR Version...I wanted a Proper Proton TWR and to reduce the Delta V to levels I was happier with...I had a reason to cut the fuel in engine A...I tried it an it worked (which struck me as a very pragmantic Russian approach) _ I also cut the Thrust in Engine B and C but that was a while back and when I posted the configs I got, the silence was deafening)

Oh and If I was going the whole hog, I'd then build something with equivalent fuel and thrust in stock and make the component price competitive (not necessarily a stock proton which was done excellently previously..just comparing what the same numbers would cost me in a stock game),

For the proton and N-1 and Soyuz LV...I'd be looking at getting the right figures for payoad and twr and deltav first which should make thrust and ISP curves fall out automagically.

Edited by Revenant503

Hi, I've been trying to install your mod for a few months now and I cannot get the installation right. I have gotten it to where a few parts will show in the VAB but not all. Could you respond with a short installation tutorial?

The Tantares and TantaresLV folders should be placed inside the GameData like so. Do not rename them or the parts will not appear.

a3b2d70007.png

First time writing in this thread, but I've been using Tantares for quite a while. I like where it's going.

But I do have a bit of an issue with reëntry. I was trying a design with the Orion capsule, and the ablator basically is disintegrating very quickly and the heat is going off the chart. Is this because of the new heat mechanics? I'd like to use the capsules but I'm not really sure what the deal is. I haven't had this happen prior to 1.0.4, so I don't really know what's causing it.

Hello!

Orion capsule...?

How long I Haven't been here?

:cool:

c8071bb39b.jpg

1e2dfa8d1b.jpg

84a8921069.jpg

9a548cbc52.jpg

I used a kinda silly methodology..I assumed the 2nd stage tank was reasonably well sized based on volume, the bottom stage less so because of its shape

In the brochure for a Proton Breeze M launch it lists the propellant amounts of the 1st and 2nd stage the ratio in RL is 2.7:1

The ratio Tantares uses is 4.1:1

Now those ratios are interesting because 4.1:1 is close to the ratio of SLThrust for the Rl Prtoton 1st stage to 2nd stage and 2;7 is close to the Tantares figures, I already knew the 2nd stage was delivering too much thrust to make me happy because it was managing a TWR of 1.6 on KSP test launches and I was looking for around 1.0 for the second stage...so I assumed you'd reversed them on your spreadsheet somehow when you were doing the numbers

TLDR Version...I wanted a Proper Proton TWR and to reduce the Delta V to levels I was happier with...I had a reason to cut the fuel in engine A...I tried it an it worked (which struck me as a very pragmantic Russian approach) _ I also cut the Thrust in Engine B and C but that was a while back and when I posted the configs I got, the silence was deafening)

Oh and If I was going the whole hog, I'd then build something with equivalent fuel and thrust in stock and make the component price competitive (not necessarily a stock proton which was done excellently previously..just comparing what the same numbers would cost me in a stock game),

For the proton and N-1 and Soyuz LV...I'd be looking at getting the right figures for payoad and twr and deltav first which should make thrust and ISP curves fall out automagically.

Okay, this is a good idea :)

I will play around to try and make a nicer balance.

Edited by Beale

Wait! There isn't a hatch texture on the front of the PPTS IVA! How are they supposed to go through the docking port?
Really looking forward to flying the PPTS. Looks great so far!

The hatch, it will have to be a suspension of disbelief ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I can always revisit the interior later.

There's also significant internal space not used by the IVA, you can imagine some hatch things there.

96034481bb.jpg

What's the time? Suggestions time!

In my opinion that would be much better to make IVA look like this.This is not the ultimate truth, just some feedback.

http://i.imgur.com/6IrUSgs.png

Interesting :) And nice mockup!

Yes I could go for a more sensible interior layout if cutting the number of seats to four, thoughts on this? Playtesting and six Kerbal does seem a little excessive.

Interesting :) And nice mockup!

Yes I could go for a more sensible interior layout if cutting the number of seats to four, thoughts on this? Playtesting and six Kerbal does seem a little excessive.

It's ok to have 4 crew members because there are two modifications of PPTS: interplanetary (4 kerbals) and orbiter (6 kerbals). It's also possible to increase amount of kerbals by adding one more line of seats, if you want to have an orbiter mod.

dBcgFM2.png

Hey Beale, when you get back from whatever requires your temporary absence from the forums, can you give us circular solar panels for the Cygnus (Pol), like what Orbital Sciences will be putting on its Enhanced Cygnus spacecraft (the one on the right in the picture below) beginning with its next flight?

Standard_Cygnus_vs_Enhanced_Cygnus.png

I like SnowWhite's mockup. It makes really good use of the full volume of the capsule, and has the instruments away from the top node where the hatch should be. Six Kerbals seems excessive for a 2.5m capsule. I know it may be accurate, but it's unbalanced.

Yup' date=' I agree. Current IVA is just too darn cramped! :( I'm all for what SnowWhite brought up![/quote']
I like SnowWhite's mockup. It makes really good use of the full volume of the capsule, and has the instruments away from the top node where the hatch should be. Six Kerbals seems excessive for a 2.5m capsule. I know it may be accurate, but it's unbalanced.
Another vote for Snow's four Kerbal mockup. Six turns it into a sardine can.

Okay, based on the feedback I will revisit this IVA now, 4 seater (maybe five depend on configuration). :)

Not a huge problem as the current one was created very quickly.

Hey Beale, when you get back from whatever requires your temporary absence from the forums, can you give us circular solar panels for the Cygnus (Pol), like what Orbital Sciences will be putting on its Enhanced Cygnus spacecraft (the one on the right in the picture below) beginning with its next flight?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Standard_Cygnus_vs_Enhanced_Cygnus.png

Not sure how I'd animate it...? :sealed:

An extended Cygnus container would be cool though.

Okay, based on the feedback I will revisit this IVA now, 4 seater (maybe five depend on configuration). :)

Not a huge problem as the current one was created very quickly.

Not sure how I'd animate it...? :sealed:

An extended Cygnus container would be cool though.

Why throw away that IVA? How about make 2 versions, the Orbiter and the Lander/Interplanetary? (6 seat/4 seat). Of course, for balance reasons, there would have to be advantages OTHER than capacity to the 4 seat one.

Also, on animating the POL panels, how about like NFT's circular solar panels, only smaller?

Why throw away that IVA? How about make 2 versions, the Orbiter and the Lander/Interplanetary? (6 seat/4 seat). Of course, for balance reasons, there would have to be advantages OTHER than capacity to the 4 seat one.

Also, on animating the POL panels, how about like NFT's circular solar panels, only smaller?

The IVA represents 30 mins of work, I've trashed bigger stuff. :P

I have a vague idea of how to animate the circular unfolding, but I am more concerned on the needed setup of the models (origin points, etc.)

That was a hint. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Whelp, after you release it I'll update my CLS configs. Anyone else got requests for other compatibility patches?

Heatshield + Fairing + How the fairing works + moment of separation.

ef2cedf771.jpg

31210cdaf6.jpg

67be8f6782.jpg

6f120b8143.jpg

New door.

1b498a577d.jpg

The new 10KN Star engines can put it down on Tylo with infinite fuel.

7a096924a3.jpg

Edited by Beale

PPTS is looking great! I loved the last update as well! I recently moved and didn't have the internet for a week, so I haven't really done much in Kerbal, but I am excited to try out the Big G and the PPTS (soon enough!).

I have a vague idea of how to animate the circular unfolding, but I am more concerned on the needed setup of the models (origin points, etc.)

how about making them like the orion's round solar panels?

I'd make two pods with the same exterior, and then the 4kerb version I'd give a bigger life-support and KIS allotment and make the 6 man more expensive.

I don't think 6 crew is excessive, thats a good size for a Duna mission crew assuming your keeping the orbital hab crewed or building a ground lab

I would personally make them have the same price, and weight, but make the 4-crew have more KIS space, Life Support, ect. and (if KeepFit/KerbKrasiness is installed) give it more "attractive" stats for those mods.

I would personally make them have the same price, and weight, but make the 4-crew have more KIS space, Life Support, ect. and (if KeepFit/KerbKrasiness is installed) give it more "attractive" stats for those mods.

Agree totally...but I think there needs to be a differentiator in an unmodded game somehow..price or weight or maybe position on the tech tree are the only three I can think of