[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

5 hours ago, cxg2827 said:

True. Or maybe do an old vs new (N1&Saturn V) vs (Yenisei-5 & SLS)

Probably. More tempted by the Russian side seeing as there isn't a complete stockalike Saturn V (yet) or SLS that I'm a fan of, and I haven't flown either of the Russian ones before

Are there any craft files floating around? I'm trying my hand at an N-1 and am having a lot of trouble getting it out of the atmosphere. It REALLY is unstable. I can get it to the first stage separation but then it wants to flip around on me. The lack of the N-1 grid fins is a bit annoying.

Edit: nevermind. I stuck enough canards around the second stage and it's now apparently running fine. Eight seems to be the magic number. :D

Edited by captainradish

On 8/12/2016 at 3:23 PM, Jack Wolfe said:

I make a lot of historical recreations simply to gain a better understanding of why and how the Russians arrived at the designs they did. My dad was a NASA engineer, so I've already got knowledge to the rafters on how the US did things. Perfect models are fine, but they have a tremendous shortcoming with regards to teaching - they perform perfectly. The way Beale has his parts arrayed, you have to learn how things go together. You learn how things were sequenced. You learn the various configurations. You even encounter some of the performance challenges their real-world counterparts encountered. But you also get the opportunity to try your hand at improving things, even arriving at your own variants of known rockets.

Then comes the really fun bit: step out of the historical accuracy rut and try something a friend of mine dubbed hysterical accuracy. Make wacky things, outlandish things. Need more power at liftoff for your Soyuz booster? Theoretically, six first-stage segments would fit around the second stage with a bit of tinkering. You can try that in the Beale paradigm. Not with strictly accurate models. That's why I'm such a fan of Tantares - and Bluedog for that matter - and would rather see things continue in the current direction. Dabbling in the "what ifs" and why nots" is great fun.

I mean, that's what KSP is fundamentally all about. Tinkertoys that fly (and occasionally explode).

It's on my radar, trust me. I've been launching a Gemini capsule on a modified Soyuz booster for a while now. Frankensteining a Saturn with an N1 ought to be a blast! [pardon the pun]

This.

I second the notion that it's considerably more fun figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's nice sometimes having go-to rockets that you know will work, but I don't like "model-kit" rockets where this goes here and this goes here and this goes here and it doesn't go together any other way (such as Bobcats otherwise wonderful rockets).

You do also have the luxury of not having to deal with politics. The Proton rocket for example, at least in KSP, is WONDERFUL for the L3 moon lander. However, IRL politics probably would have prevented this experimentation.

Edited by captainradish

52 minutes ago, captainradish said:

Are there any craft files floating around?

41 minutes ago, captainradish said:

I second the notion that it's considerably more fun figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's nice sometimes having go-to rockets that you know will work, but I don't like "model-kit" rockets where this goes here and this goes here and this goes here and it doesn't go together any other way (such as Bobcats otherwise wonderful rockets).

I think these conflict a little :D 

Here is a new Soyuz:

kOt3TnR.pngS1qqJr6.pngy98nvRA.png

It is lacking some detail, but work in progress.

qzS2E2p.png
Mn1me3T.png
r0ZpHqN.png

9 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Probably. More tempted by the Russian side seeing as there isn't a complete stockalike Saturn V (yet) or SLS that I'm a fan of, and I haven't flown either of the Russian ones before

Yeah but, you can totally make your own (especially the SLS), unless what you're into is an exact replica. 

2 hours ago, Beale said:

I think these conflict a little :D 

Here is a new Soyuz:

kOt3TnR.pngS1qqJr6.pngy98nvRA.png

It is lacking some detail, but work in progress.

qzS2E2p.png
Mn1me3T.png
r0ZpHqN.png

Maybe you could add whatever that circle thing on the side of this capsule is. I think it's the parachute compartment cover, but (honestly) it's just a guess.

soyuztm.jpg

Just now, Joeybafoey said:

Maybe you could add whatever that circle thing on the side of this capsule is. I think it's the parachute compartment cover, but (honestly) it's just a guess.

soyuztm.jpg

That's exactly what it is. The contares version of the capsule has both a place for and a parachute that fits there.

11 minutes ago, Joeybafoey said:

I had no idea. I've never played with the Contares Soyuz, I'm gonna try it out.

The contares Soyuz is a bit obnoxious as there is no other way out of the decent capsule than the hatch on the top. Realistic, sure, but it's a bit annoying to have to transfer your kerbals to the orbital module first. ALSO contares has issues with connected living spaces. Be warned.

Otherwise it's awesome. I like it a lot.

Edit: on a side note, my N1/L4 worked pretty well and Sovetsky Soyuz IV made it successfully back without any issues. I WOULD like to see the missing(?) grid fins. Also, how do other people deal with the atmospheric effects of the N1? It's really bad and nearly unflyable without huge amounts of fins.

Edit MK2: For anyone who doesn't yet have them all, Tantares, Contares, and Bluedog complement each other pretty well with little overlap.

Edited by captainradish

25 minutes ago, Joeybafoey said:

soyuztm.jpg

1 minute ago, DJ Reonic said:

@Beale If you are re-doing the Soyuz, is there a way to make the parachute a "double" (Drogue/Main) chute?

I don't think there is many nice ways to do this, the parts will be too specific.

Just now, DJ Reonic said:

Hmmm...then maybe something involving RealChute? I've been trying to dabble around with making an MM config to make the Soyuz chute a double chute, but have yet to be successful.

Realchute has (or used to have) a flat in-line chute like what's used on the Tantares Soyuz that has the capabilities of being both a main and a drogue. I either haven't yet unlocked it in my current game or it was removed.

Just now, captainradish said:

Realchute has (or used to have) a flat in-line chute like what's used on the Tantares Soyuz that has the capabilities of being both a main and a drogue. I either haven't yet unlocked it in my current game or it was removed.

The only stack chute I see is the blue one. I'm just trying to figure a way to add that functionality to the Tantares Soyuz chute without breaking things.

8 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

The only stack chute I see is the blue one. I'm just trying to figure a way to add that functionality to the Tantares Soyuz chute without breaking things.

It must have been removed for some reason. Too bad. I'd also like to see Soyuz drogue capabilities as it had it IRL, and I also have a bad habit of entering the atmosphere too fast. I ended up one time reentering in a mountainous area and literally popped the chute with only about 200 meters to spare. A bit hair-raising as it was a productive mission and I play with no respawning.

Just now, captainradish said:

It must have been removed for some reason. Too bad. I'd also like to see Soyuz drogue capabilities as it had it IRL, and I also have a bad habit of entering the atmosphere too fast. I ended up one time reentering in a mountainous area and literally popped the chute with only about 200 meters to spare. A bit hair-raising as it was a productive mission and I play with no respawning.

I reentered into a mountainous area where the terrain was higher than my chute deployment height. At least Jeb and Bill died quickly.

2 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

I reentered into a mountainous area where the terrain was higher than my chute deployment height. At least Jeb and Bill died quickly.

I got lucky and entered in a valley. If I had reentered just 1Km north or south that'd be the end of Valentina.

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

new Soyuz..?

I searched through my Contares stuff and didn't find one.

My phone is being extra stupid today, so this post will likely be messed up, but Beale, have you thought of integrating something like the Firespitter texture switcher into the Soyuz, Progress, and station parts? I know at one time you had a set of alternate textures for the Soyuz and Salyut. Having a little more color diversity in the station parts would make for some even cooler looking stations than are already possible with your pack. Just my $0.02. I'm liking the new Soyuz, by the way. Keep up the awesome work!

@Beale

Just now, DJ Reonic said:

I searched through my Contares stuff and didn't find one.

My phone is being extra stupid today, so this post will likely be messed up, but Beale, have you thought of integrating something like the Firespitter texture switcher into the Soyuz, Progress, and station parts? I know at one time you had a set of alternate textures for the Soyuz and Salyut. Having a little more color diversity in the station parts would make for some even cooler looking stations than are already possible with your pack. Just my $0.02. I'm liking the new Soyuz, by the way. Keep up the awesome work!

No, I was just confused that @Beale was working on one. I'm not complaining - right now he has a serious advantage over me in terms of how much he needs to do to finish his Mun mission. Plus I can only simplify the J2 and F1 so much...