[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

You should include a 2.5M wire frame decouple so that I can get that distinct Russian look with my 2.5M rockets as well. :0

Could possible do this. Currently the wire frame is part of the engine fairings for the Proton second stage, but a dedicated part wouldn't be awful.

Lol - streets, eh?

http://imgur.com/XQ3PnZe

If it doesn't work - follow the link: BealeStreet

I think you need a little educating :wink:

Yes!

If you can answer the question: What purpose would it serve in a vanilla KSP installation?

I can't speak to plain vanilla, but if you'd allow me to toss in a few chocolate chips...

I've taken to mounting the FASA probe camera as a periscope for use with RPM, like so:

Z5UaM0k.png

Going a step further, I mount the FASA Gemini lights and ASET external camera on the docking collar so I can see what I'm doing from an IVA perspective.

8YX5RlE.png

OK, so that was chocolate chips and sprinkles. :)

Loads of usefulness with RPM, but only eye candy for stock.

You could animate it as a retracting part of the pod (not realistic I know but this is kerbal) and then add a extra camera view to the iva that is outside the pod for forward visibility

This is exactly the reason I wanted to add this to my soyuz as well. Even without RPM a good forward view is so nice for docking. See the PMK in HGR for a pod with a docking scope for a proof of concept. (Double clicking on an object to see through a "scope" view, using the same camera change technique as for windows)

Just make sure that you can't see the extending or retracting periscope from the "inside" view so the illusion isn't broken.

Congratulations on the Little Bun!

I can't speak to plain vanilla, but if you'd allow me to toss in a few chocolate chips...

I've taken to mounting the FASA probe camera as a periscope for use with RPM, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/Z5UaM0k.png

Going a step further, I mount the FASA Gemini lights and ASET external camera on the docking collar so I can see what I'm doing from an IVA perspective.

http://i.imgur.com/8YX5RlE.png

OK, so that was chocolate chips and sprinkles. :)

Loads of usefulness with RPM, but only eye candy for stock.

Very interesting I like these potential ideas :)

This is exactly the reason I wanted to add this to my soyuz as well. Even without RPM a good forward view is so nice for docking. See the PMK in HGR for a pod with a docking scope for a proof of concept. (Double clicking on an object to see through a "scope" view, using the same camera change technique as for windows)

Just make sure that you can't see the extending or retracting periscope from the "inside" view so the illusion isn't broken.

Congratulations on the Little Bun!

Ah, this I will take a look at for sure!

Is it possible to tie the ability to go into the periscope view to the state of the animation? (Perhaps that is asking too much of the stock modules hehehe).

Another potential way? The small docking window - but, not everyone would be happy with a change of shape to the OM.

48042333df.jpg

And many thanks!

Seconded!

Congratulations Beale! There must be a lot of loaf* in your household.

*Love.

Oh, how could I miss the news? Congratulations and good luck to your family, Bread Lord! :3

Be sure to teach him/her to love space! *KGB will be watching you, komrade* :)

Oh my, I feel a little fuzzy inside, many thanks for the kind words :)

Very early WIP of the new capsule, going to try and get a middle between the old design and the current.

9f3b2d33f5.jpg

a4165ffe24.jpg

Braindump thought about the new Soyuz you're working on :

I really really really like the idea of having it be a "new" part, vs a "replace" part.

I currently use the regular grey soyuz parts AND the re-colored green soyuz parts. I made copies of the crew/orbital modules, put a 2 on the end of the part IDs, put a -M on the end of the names, and use them as advanced versions of the 'regular' soyuz (increased battery power, more mono, more expensive, more efficient reaction wheel) further up the tech tree.

If you add in another soyuz with what looks like an orbital module with a built-in docking probe, consider doing something similar when you do up the .cfg files. Considering that the ruskies developed what, like 8 flavors of soyuz over the years? It would add a little dynamism and realism to the parts pack. Just some raw meat thrown at the table for digestion or rejection. :)

That's a very nice plane, nice mission also :)

Got a craft file?

thanks, I threw that plane together in 15 minutes and it flew surprisingly well on it's first flight.

also here's the crafts:

Download

Maybe curtquarquesso could find space in his craft pack for the surveyor

Also congrats!

Edited by gooddog15

Braindump thought about the new Soyuz you're working on :

I really really really like the idea of having it be a "new" part, vs a "replace" part.

I currently use the regular grey soyuz parts AND the re-colored green soyuz parts. I made copies of the crew/orbital modules, put a 2 on the end of the part IDs, put a -M on the end of the names, and use them as advanced versions of the 'regular' soyuz (increased battery power, more mono, more expensive, more efficient reaction wheel) further up the tech tree.

If you add in another soyuz with what looks like an orbital module with a built-in docking probe, consider doing something similar when you do up the .cfg files. Considering that the ruskies developed what, like 8 flavors of soyuz over the years? It would add a little dynamism and realism to the parts pack. Just some raw meat thrown at the table for digestion or rejection. :)

New parts are good, but unless there is a clear difference, I think it begins to feel a little like bloat. Eh, we will see :)

Congratulations on the loaf Beale!

I think the docking window would be a welcome change, IMO. As long as it doesn't mess with node positions. I like the new capsule progression thus far too.

Many thanks!

What will be best is to be seen, maybe a separate window part.

With the new ablator shading, I think that it would be possible to have thermal blankets that burn off during reentry. How 'bout taking a look at it?

Nope, not possible in stock unfortunately.

thanks, I threw that plane together in 15 minutes and it flew surprisingly well on it's first flight.

also here's the crafts:

Download

Maybe curtquarquesso could find space in his craft pack for the surveyor

Also congrats!

Great!

Many thanks!

Capsule

Stripe?

bf7ac0803f.jpg

cc10ab0a5d.jpg

264edb3ac8.jpg

9d2ae36827.jpg

I like the white with blue stripes colour scheme for the soyuz :) Not to denigrate the grey which is your emblematic colour, but in my mind the soyuz should really stand out of your other parts :) at least another grey tone ? :P

I like the white with blue stripes colour scheme for the soyuz :) Not to denigrate the grey which is your emblematic colour, but in my mind the soyuz should really stand out of your other parts :) at least another grey tone ? :P

Here is with a specular:

41b7216774.jpg

Comparison to older textures.

c61f55a22f.jpg

a5b3c7783e.jpg

Adding my congratulations on the new arrival to your family, Beale! I'm very happy for you!

Many thanks!

Edited by Beale

I really love it, you manage to do this mixture between detail and simplicity, and you even give it a " dirty " pattern :) If you want to keep it grey, the white stripe was fine with :)

Might be worth keeping it...

Mixes well with new Salyut.

Many thanks!

a5aa5e9e04.jpg

Proton seems to have a bug.

RojBWby.jpg

I was attempting to launch a docking target for rendezvous practice, but the first stage decided to do this to me. the right click UI shows that the engine is off, however the staging diagram shows that the engine is indeed active. The FX are showing, although it is hard to see on this photo. Also, the second stage decoupler appears to be overheating.

BUyQK9c.jpg

The second stage, however, can lift the payload by itself at sea level, while being activated the same way as Stage 1 (pressing space).

Seriously, have you even touched the Proton since 1.0 hit?

Seriously, have you even touched the Proton since 1.0 hit?

Basically, no.

We're all still in the dark on what will happen with aero, I don't want to spend time making potentially junk configs, hope you understand.

It is fairly overpowered at the moment, though I should check the heating issue, thanks for pointing that out!

FIXITSQUAD

I

X

I

T

S

Q

U

A

D

Edited by Beale

iZsCP4N.jpg

Tantares Craft File Repository v2.0!

Click my signature, and get taken to the post with the download and details! It took forever, but it's up. There's still a lot missing. I'm somewhat of a completionist, so the next release will have more stuff I was unable to finish.

Every craft needed a full description, pictures for posting, a flight test after every revision, staging and abort tests, and a stupid amount of internal scrutiny. It takes a lot of time needless to say. Plus, whenever Beale revamps or adds a part, it's back to the drawing board sometimes. Heh. For that reason, I have strangely conflicted feelings on the Soyuz revamp coming up. It'll be awesome, but darn-it if I won't have to revamp all the Soyuz/Progress .crafts at some point.

Notable omissions is the TKS Cargo variant due to the node bug, the "Khleb Exploration Vehicle" now that the TST Command Pod adopted the name, and some incomplete ISS modules I was not satisfied with. New additions include Tiangong-1 for the Shenzhou to service, the Mir Docking Module and it's protege Rassvet, and a surprise for any Fallout players here. (No commie ghosts painting Lenin faces on the Mun, ok?)

The biggest thing by far is the widespread use of 0.9375m as a standard docking port size. It's a really nice scaling ratio against 1.25m and 1.875m. I've always wondered how Kerbals could squeeze through 0.625m ports anyways... It'll give a good feel for how that size can be incorporated into designs.

PLEASE remember the dependency. The TweakScale config is crucial. If you don't have it, nothing will look right. Remove the Tantares TweakScale config from /GameData/TweakScale/patches, and put the one you download anywhere in the /GameData/Tantares/ folder. It's all part of my evil plan to get more testers for the config. Bwaahahahahaa!

Now, go click the link in the signature!

Updated Showcase Album of v2.0

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by curtquarquesso

http://i.imgur.com/iZsCP4N.jpg

Click my signature, and get taken to the post with the download and details! It took forever, but it's up. There's still a lot missing. I'm somewhat of a completionist, so the next release will have more stuff I was unable to finish.

Every craft needed a full description, pictures for posting, a flight test after every revision, staging and abort tests, and a stupid amount of internal scrutiny. It takes a lot of time needless to say. Plus, whenever Beale revamps or adds a part, it's back to the drawing board sometimes. Heh. For that reason, I have strangely conflicted feelings on the Soyuz revamp coming up. It'll be awesome, but darn-it if I won't have to revamp all the Soyuz/Progress .crafts at some point.

Notable omissions is the TKS Cargo variant due to the node bug, the "Khleb Exploration Vehicle" now that the TST Command Pod adopted the name, and some incomplete ISS modules I was not satisfied with. New additions include Tiangong-1 for the Shenzhou to service, the Mir Docking Module and it's protege Rassvet, and a surprise for any Fallout players here. (No commie ghosts painting Lenin faces on the Mun, ok?)

PLEASE remember the dependency. The TweakScale config is crucial. If you don't have it, nothing will look right. It's all part of my evil plan to get more testers for the config. Bwaahahahahaa!

http://imgur.com/a/p7GXm

You are a star!

The Salyut 7 panels and Virgo 2 lander were completely unexpected and both look really (really) nice!

I'll be sure to give all of these wonderful things a play with as soon as possible.

Basically, no.

We're all still in the dark on what will happen with aero, I don't want to spend time making potentially junk configs, hope you understand.

It is fairly overpowered at the moment, though I should check the heating issue, thanks for pointing that out!

FIXITSQUAD

Weird...ruinning some tests I thought the upper two stages were good but the low stage was seriously down on thrust (doing some figuring in the VAB with Nrap I figured that anything the bottom stage could lift could be put on its way to Mun orbit due to excess Delta-V for the rocket overall)

Also in career it was massively overpriced as an example (Ariane 25 Tons to LKO for about $28K, Zenit (proton rework without the bottom stage) 20 Tons to LKO for ~$40k, Proper three stage proton - 20 tons to LKO or the Mun (almost) for $78k)

I was thinking of trying out a proton without block c and seeing how the numbers worked but haven't gotten to it yet.

PS congrats on needing paternity leave :)

http://i.imgur.com/iZsCP4N.jpg

The biggest thing by far is the widespread use of 0.9375m as a standard docking port size. It's a really nice scaling ratio against 1.25m and 1.875m. I've always wondered how Kerbals could squeeze through 0.625m ports anyways... It'll give a good feel for how that size can be incorporated into designs.

PLEASE remember the dependency. The TweakScale config is crucial. If you don't have it, nothing will look right. Remove the Tantares TweakScale config from /GameData/TweakScale/patches, and put the one you download anywhere in the /GameData/Tantares/ folder. It's all part of my evil plan to get more testers for the config. Bwaahahahahaa!

http://imgur.com/a/p7GXm

Dem craft files...

Here, have all my rep points!

I can't wait to try them out and build my own Mir. If I can get the TweakScale config to work for me. :D