[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

That docking port looks a LOT like the later model shenzhou ports....

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, please PLEASE make it 1.875 ... it would fill a HUGE gap in the launcher lineup ...

- - - Updated - - -

Someone requested some craft files.

Here ya go.

Contains:

Mercury

Gemini

Vostok

Soyuz

Soyuz-LOK

Shenzhou

Venera

LK lander

VA Capsule Assembly (only, not the full TKS)

R-7 Rocket

Proton Rocket

N-1 Rocket

All have lights correctly mapped to the lights action group. Action group 1 toggles the panels/etc on all craft.

The rockets are provided as regular ships, with a stayputnik at the top, so you can drag-and-drop them as subs.

These aren't "official" tantares craft files or anything, just some stuff I whipped up of my own volition.

All are designed to use only the tantares packs and stock parts.

Intended to be functional, and reasonable representations for the impatient - not 42521 part hyper-detailed FPS killers.

Has the link moved, or is it dead.

Thanks.

the mighty loaf demaned a comparision .. here it is

comparison stock Proton vs Tantares Proton:

[table=width: 500]

[tr]

[td][/td]

[td]Stock Proton[/td]

[td]Tantares Proton[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]part count:[/td]

[td]173[/td]

[td]21[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total mass:[/td]

[td]186,7 t[/td]

[td]203,5 t[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]test payload mass:[/td]

[td]20,25 t[/td]

[td]20,25 t[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]liftoff TWR[/td]

[td]1.5[/td]

[td]1.38[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total atmospheric dV[/td]

[td]3.601 m/s[/td]

[td]4.482 m/s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total burntime[/td]

[td]8m 44s[/td]

[td]4m 19s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]dV in 70x70 LKO[/td]

[td]~200 m/s[/td]

[td]~1.500 m/s (2nd stage still attached)[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]thrust stage 1[/td]

[td]2.980 kN[/td]

[td]3.200 kN[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total dV stage 1[/td]

[td]1.890 m/s[/td]

[td]2.639 m/s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]burntime stage 1[/td]

[td]1m 27s[/td]

[td]1m 54s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]thrust stage 2[/td]

[td]860 kN[/td]

[td]1.400 kN[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total dV stage 2[/td]

[td]1.274 m/s[/td]

[td]1.528 m/s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]burntime stage 2[/td]

[td]1m 22s[/td]

[td]1m 4s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]thrust stage 3[/td]

[td]279 kN[/td]

[td]390 kN[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total dV stage 3[/td]

[td]778 m/s[/td]

[td]1.043 m/s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]burntime stage 3[/td]

[td]5m 55s[/td]

[td]1m 21s[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]total costs[/td]

[td]67.104[/td]

[td]83.278[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]1st stage costs[/td]

[td]38.496[/td]

[td]55.600[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]2nd stage costs[/td]

[td]17.314[/td]

[td]16.750[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]3rd stage costs (with payload fairing)[/td]

[td]11.294[/td]

[td]10.928[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

comparison of flight characteristics:

While the stock Proton is rock solid with no woble, it can be a bit hard to do the pitchmaneuver. The Tantares Protn is easy to maneauver during powered flight of the first and secondstage, but the rocket tends to wobble. Overall the tantares Proton is more powerfull and has more fuel compared to a stock version with similar length. espacily the thrust of the second stage is bigger. with a testpaylod of only 20,25 tons, the tantares Proton is so powerfull, that the secodn stage has still dV to spare when reaching a stable LKO.

the direct comparison of the size with a real Proton (Salyut on top) shows, that the first stage of teh tantares Proton is to long while the rest has the perfect size. The stock Proton has a slightly to short first stage

problem during testing of tantares Proton:

the verniers of the trhird stage engine are not powerfull enough to controll the third stage together with a 20+ t paylaod WITHOUT SAS

http://i.imgur.com/7sQcQWz.jpg

edit: fixed picture with guidelines for stages

Interesting comparison... mine is... overpowered.

And expensive...

I should take a closer look at stats.

But, thanks for tabulating this! :)

I'll have a look at that vernier problems!

What folders/files do I want if I only want the Gemini and Gemini related parts and none of the Soyuz/Fugi/Shenzou/Salyut/etc/etc/etc... I did this once already myself, but I suspect I had more things then I needed...
where is that little klipper like craft to be found?

thanks.

Here. :)

Just a warning, it's faaaar from complete and I can't offer any support for it!

Put it this way; there's another version of the Big G out there that I've never, in well over a year's worth of trying, gotten to fly worth a tinker's damn. Yours has already surpassed my expectations on the first launch. I'm already plotting a joint Soviet/US Salyut variant thanks to what I've seen so far.

That's really nice to hear! :)

Hello

Bug report:

The escape tower (The original one, I haven't tried the other.) doesn't have an icon in the staging list in the VAB, you have to wait until you are on the pad and then remember to move the blank icon. Someone made an alternate cfg that fixed that before, but you have had two Tantares updates since then and it looks like the fix hasn't been merged with the download.

I don't know if this is a bug report:

Parachutes get ripped of very easily well past when they really should. I don't know if this is a Tantares thing or if it is the 1.0.4 KSP thing but it is really annoying when you wait for your speed to be well below 300 and the G meter to be less than 1.5 g's, pop the chute and it is destroyed.:mad: I don't use the stock parts for reentry so I don't know if it is the game or the mod. I have tried to google it but my google foo seems to have failed me. :huh::confused:

Update:

I found from IRC that you can also right click on the parachute and it will say when it is safe to deploy.

Will fix Soyuz Abort tower! :)

Tried deleting partdatabase.cfg from KSP root? That's become my go-to solution for parachute troubles.

I haven't had... so many issues with parachutes, their effectiveness seems to vary from person to person though, which is really tricky to troubleshoot.

Loving the latest Tantares version so far! Built a new omni-ship (only lacking harpoons this time around' date=' I been using explosives instead, would prefer a smaller Tantares' version of the grabber unit to be honest) same config as the last ship but different design. It's already out of the draftboard and only needs to pass a few more tests and then I'll take some screenshots of it. :D

Anyways, while I was building my ship and testing it constantly I used TK-QS01A Separator in the middle as a structural part to attach engines and that's when while in flight some warped stuff happened, I don't know what was going on but everytime I went up to about 6000-6500 meters the game just went bonkers with my ship, it's external camera focused quite a few meters below from the craft and not only that, the whole ship's center of mass was in that invisible area too as I saw my ship's RCS firing like it was on top of some tower. :confused: After much frustration later I just decided to off TK-QS01A ability to separate all-together and removed any trace of separation, then ingame I removed the old part from my ship and re-added it to my ship as a regular structural part (I never separate/decouple my stuff anyway, waste of resources and my nerves should I accidentally press space). Well, it seemed to have fixed that particular bug but it shouldn't do that in the first place. :huh: Maybe because I'm still using 1.0.2 but, meh. The config files I edited didn't really seem to differ so I'm not exactly sure. Something to do with having KJR installed?[/quote']

I would say KJR... but, that's a lame excuse on my side.

Ehm... For sure I'll try to replicate this, but I doubt I'll be able to.

Got any pics of the craft?

In a perfect world!

The problem is in Career mode the Progress and ATV are almost at the end of the tree and the Soyuz is way earlier so if you've got a space station because you signed some fool contract to have one then your either trying to get TAC inline tanks or hex cans on your soyuz..not a big deal but its really jarring to see this pretty soyuz with a huge white band in the middle where the TAC cylinder is

Noted :)

Progress will be moved earlier.

Did TantaresLV get an update for 1.04 as well?

My 1.02-era R-7 style boosters feel a LOT more powerful lately.

Not yet my friend :)

Given that this aero balance is "final". Can start to move towards some sensible balance.

Cottage + Radio Tower

It is inspired by Scottish High land buildings, a little bit.

Radio tower needs a lot more greeble...

f87ae6ac11.jpg

fbd732c96b.jpg

9c15281be3.jpg

This is all a 256x512 texture, which I am quite proud of!

The launch pad isn't quite right with the "chicken wire" (?), but I am stuck for designs...

Edited by Beale

Cottage + Radio Tower

It is inspired by Scottish High land buildings, a little bit.

Radio tower needs a lot more greeble...

http://puu.sh/iG0f9/f87ae6ac11.jpg

http://puu.sh/iG1C5/fbd732c96b.jpg

http://puu.sh/iG1Xq/9c15281be3.jpg

This is all a 256x512 texture, which I am quite proud of!

The launch pad isn't quite right with the "chicken wire" (?), but I am stuck for designs...

Are these for kerbinside?

I would say KJR... but, that's a lame excuse on my side.

Ehm... For sure I'll try to replicate this, but I doubt I'll be able to.

Got any pics of the craft?

Aye, I do. :D Here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Loving the OM's IVA, finally an extra viewport to look out of. First ship in a long while that has three different capsules all with IVA (Hamal's Dawn capsule is clipped inside those new tanks).

Edited by T'Flok

Aye' date=' I do. :D Here:

[url']http://imgur.com/a/MfIwp

Loving the OM's IVA, finally an extra viewport to look out of. First ship in a long while that has three different capsules all with IVA (Hamal's Dawn capsule is clipped inside those new tanks).

Well, nice sci-fi ship :)

There's a few things attached to the separator, but I don't think this will cause problems... let me reproduce this, if I can.

Great to hear! I always miss launch towers from the game. I usually build my own towers though.

Here's more :)

700a4ea2f6.jpg

a2dbc9cb16.jpg

8b486dfe7c.jpg

529ea25006.jpg

"Will fix Soyuz Abort tower! :)

Tried deleting partdatabase.cfg from KSP root? That's become my go-to solution for parachute troubles.

I haven't had... so many issues with parachutes, their effectiveness seems to vary from person to person though, which is really tricky to troubleshoot."

Ever since I learned about it here I have been deleting that file every time I update a mod, just in case.

It is no issue now though, since I found out about the right click on the parachute to see when it is safe trick, it hasn't been much of an issue and no additional Kerbals have died.

The Kerbal Konstructs parts look great - will be fun to have some additional launch sites/pads.

Also, I'm 99% ready to release the NASA version of my "career mode total conversion" mod (currently only the soviet space program is featured), except I'm missing ONE thing - a two-nozzle 2.5m engine for the Titan II. Anyone have a suggestion how to construct one that doesn't look absolutely terribad (and of course has reasonable thrust to lift a titan+gemini payload) using only stock+tantares+tantaresLV ?

@ Beale

i found some helpfull pages for teh Proton rocket. if you are going to rebalance your Tantares Proton, then you should check this out:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage1.html

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage2.html

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage3.html

scrolling down will show you some very helpfull tables, esp. with TWR and more ! :D

One thing you may notice about the Proton is your Fuel Proportions between 2nd and 1st stages are a little out. I figured that your first stage has about 60% more fuel than it should...surprisingly when I adjusted that the old (pre last Proton Update) 1st stage to lower fuel, the engine worked almost exactly as I thought it should (SLT 1.3 on a 20 ton payload)

Well, nice sci-fi ship :)

There's a few things attached to the separator, but I don't think this will cause problems... let me reproduce this, if I can.

Thanks. :)

Yup, at first I couldn't figure out what was making my ship/game go haywire at about 6000 meters. Even went at snails pace to there but once I hit that 6000-6500 meter mark the camera focused somewhere on the bottom together with CoM. Started picking my ship apart one by one and testing it until I narrowed it down to the separator. I'm not exactly sure if I fixed it with removing the separation ability from it or is the fact that I decided to clip those main engine support beams a bit into the Dawn module too but I'm 100% sure something's up with the separator part when too much stuff is attached to it as I tested it without stuff on another craft and no bug happened. :confused:

Yup' date=' at first I couldn't figure out what was making my ship/game go haywire at about 6000 meters. Even went at snails pace to there but once I hit that 6000-6500 meter mark the camera focused somewhere on the bottom together with CoM. Started picking my ship apart one by one and testing it until I narrowed it down to the separator. I'm not exactly sure if I fixed it with removing the separation ability from it or is the fact that I decided to clip those main engine support beams a bit into the Dawn module too but I'm 100% sure something's up with the separator part when too much stuff is attached to it as I tested it without stuff on another craft and no bug happened. :confused:[/quote']

Hi, I've seen this exact same bug with a wet workshop mod about a year ago. It probably won't be very helpful at all, but might nudge someone in the general direction towards resolving it.

Hey guys, was yesterday on a book expo near Kremlin

TQdduFQ0Puo.jpg
I found a nice and really huge book about Soviet and Russian manned space exploration. There are some interesting schemes and photos, and I will post eventually interesting stuff I'll find. You can ask me to find something, but one of the most interesting pics I found is what Spektr and Priroda originally should've looked like, if USSR haven't collapsed:

rQxYb8CPglE.jpg

That is massively cool! I love space gear that never was

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a Keepfit config file for Tantares - I think someone was working on a Connected Living Space config which will make keepfit even more interesting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/02sjkplbp8pfuyl/Tantares_keepfit.cfg?dl=0

Guess where this is! :wink:

e30d311610.jpg

Fairly plain and unconvincing at the time, it needs a lot more "stuff" to look like a functional facility.

But, the location is wonderful, makes an interesting challenge to launch (But, I think polar orbits will cost less DV) and great natural scenery.

Only difficulty is no RT support yet...

Tip: It's one of the previously suggested locations.

b960ada276.jpg

d79017563b.jpg

The Kerbal Konstructs parts look great - will be fun to have some additional launch sites/pads.

Also, I'm 99% ready to release the NASA version of my "career mode total conversion" mod (currently only the soviet space program is featured), except I'm missing ONE thing - a two-nozzle 2.5m engine for the Titan II. Anyone have a suggestion how to construct one that doesn't look absolutely terribad (and of course has reasonable thrust to lift a titan+gemini payload) using only stock+tantares+tantaresLV ?

Thanks!

Titan II, you could try welding an engine like that, with two slightly scaled LV-T30s? Tricky I know.

I will get around to the Titan eventually, no worries.

A little Vostok love...

http://i.imgur.com/UfoF6jq.png?2

Great!

Nice "strap" with the IGLA :)

@ Beale

i found some helpfull pages for teh Proton rocket. if you are going to rebalance your Tantares Proton, then you should check this out:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage1.html

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage2.html

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_stage3.html

scrolling down will show you some very helpfull tables, esp. with TWR and more ! :D

Thanks!

This will be useful.

Yup' date=' at first I couldn't figure out what was making my ship/game go haywire at about 6000 meters. Even went at snails pace to there but once I hit that 6000-6500 meter mark the camera focused somewhere on the bottom together with CoM. Started picking my ship apart one by one and testing it until I narrowed it down to the separator. I'm not exactly sure if I fixed it with removing the separation ability from it or is the fact that I decided to clip those main engine support beams a bit into the Dawn module too but I'm 100% sure something's up with the separator part when too much stuff is attached to it as I tested it without stuff on another craft and no bug happened. :confused:[/quote']

Have you played around with IVAs at all, by any chance? This sounds like a familiar issue.

http://cs628424.vk.me/v628424511/7b28/rQxYb8CPglE.jpg

http://cs629505.vk.me/v629505258/6910/TQdduFQ0Puo.jpg
I found a nice and really huge book about Soviet and Russian manned space exploration. There are some interesting schemes and photos, and I will post eventually interesting stuff I'll find. You can ask me to find something, but one of the most interesting pics I found is what Spektr and Priroda originally should've looked like, if USSR haven't collapsed:

Nice! Thanks :)

They're really different in design it's true, I guess they had different mission purposes?

Heres a Keepfit config file for Tantares - I think someone was working on a Connected Living Space config which will make keepfit even more interesting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/02sjkplbp8pfuyl/Tantares_keepfit.cfg?dl=0

Cool things, thanks! :)

Would you like me to link this post front page?

Beale,

The Blok-D is not enough to satisfy my (and likely others') Proton upper stage appetites.

Give us a Briz-M please!

http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets_1/East_Europe_2/Proton-M/Gallery/Briz-M6big.jpg

Briz-M is... eh...

I prefer a Fregat, but neither for the close time :)

Edited by Beale

Hmm, is the facility on one of the bigger islands in the "Crater"? Also, what do you think about doing alternate pads at KSC for your American rockets?

I don't think so, that island is tiny, I'm guessing it is the "New Zealand" island someone else suggested.