[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 5/23/2020 at 2:38 PM, Beale said:
On 5/23/2020 at 4:04 AM, EStreetRockets said:

@Beale, I know you aren't a bug fan of dependencies in your mods, but would you consider making the RD-0120 run on LOX/LH2 from B9PartSwitch?

Also, I'll honestly take whatever new stuff you make. This is already a great mod, and you could only make it better!

I'm pretty comfortable doing that in a dependency free way - after doing that in CRE (bundle tantares_lh2 and switch actual lh2 if you have CRP installed) - so yeah I will make Energia LH2,
just need
      A. the resource amounts
      B. somebody to remind me

tbh, I do not know how to balance fuel levels for tanks, especially for modded fuels. Is anyone else good at it, or could they point me to a tutorial for balancing and calculating the fuel levels of tanks?

On 5/27/2020 at 7:33 AM, Mountain Parrot said:

?

hej
 hej
hej

16 hours ago, EStreetRockets said:

tbh, I do not know how to balance fuel levels for tanks, especially for modded fuels. Is anyone else good at it, or could they point me to a tutorial for balancing and calculating the fuel levels of tanks?

I'll work something out.

X2V8ZRW.jpg

VsG5nYa.jpg

Edited by Beale

10 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

What progress ... you have made the first week ?

Changes to texturing that were put into practice on CRE really speed things up - now we can spend more time working on the models and detailing.

On 5/28/2020 at 6:13 PM, Beale said:

Some simple adapters, might do a variant with railings for zvezda.

dmUYa15.jpg
lKs8QKa.jpg

Restock stuff? Maybe?

From a mod dev perspective, do you use height and normal maps for the railings and small window details, or just use a higher-polygon model?

I am trying to learn good techniques for making stockalike mods.

2 hours ago, EStreetRockets said:

From a mod dev perspective, do you use height and normal maps for the railings and small window details, or just use a higher-polygon model?

I am trying to learn good techniques for making stockalike mods.

definitely more polygons for anything like this :)

Anything more than say... ~1cm extruding from a surface, use mesh details, polygons are dirt cheap.

Bunch of changes to end-caps, going to breath new life into a whole bunch of older parts.

hVMPH8W.jpg
u8Uiwcu.jpg
vLw6zYE.jpg
SC08GGK.jpg
uCbjCLW.jpg

For larger parts, funkier end caps will also be used:

N7ccU0Q.jpg

Mir parts are in-game also:

lkIqvFK.jpg
cHIpfhd.jpg

Might scrap some of the fabric on Mir, it's for sure the best fabric I've done so far (others have done much better though), but still doesn't feel quite... right...
Maybe a metal hull like so, leave the fabric to highlight the science-airlock section:

VUlqnWl.jpg

Edited by Beale

12 hours ago, Beale said:

Might scrap some of the fabric on Mir, it's for sure the best fabric I've done so far (others have done much better though), but still doesn't feel quite... right...
Maybe a metal hull like so, leave the fabric to highlight the science-airlock section:

VUlqnWl.jpg

I honestly much prefer it with fabric , bare metal makes it look too plain

2 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I honestly much prefer it with fabric , bare metal makes it look too plain

worth pointing out, that bare metal image is lacking a lot of the painted metal wear layers - it would look more like the tan aft section in terms of grime / detail/

1 minute ago, Beale said:

worth pointing out, that bare metal image is lacking a lot of the painted metal wear layers - it would look more like the tan aft section in terms of grime / detail/

True , though I still think I'd prefer thermal blankets . Though I must ask , why not both ?

9 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

True , though I still think I'd prefer thermal blankets . Though I must ask , why not both ?

5 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

This latest Mir/Zvezda work is some of your best yet. I love the fabric personally, and the aged metal alike. How about just a texture switch option?

Many thanks, unfortunately a texture switch is not on the cards, as it would require normal map switching (it's possible, but adding a whole extra set of 2K maps is very bloaty, not something I'm on-board with right now).

4 hours ago, Prathtel said:

Just curious is there a patch that changes the stock names to the real ones?

There is no patch. But every part is tagged with the real name, so you can just search in the VAB.

Sofora thruster and VDU avionics / thruster package / thing.

5naZN2x.jpg
p2EBSR5.jpg
A0v9RIg.jpg

Spoiler

As pointed out, the beams all going the same way is a structural weakness, so that is fixed.

6a6mk0D.jpg

Edited by Beale

25 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Is there any chance at all we could get thermal blanket textures for the FGB parts , and dedicated experiment parts for Priroda ?

Not in scope.

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:
  • Sososososoforaaaaaaa!

oS4Di1Y.jpg

Awesome, I shall add it to my Mir build guide!

Incidentally, I finished the Almaz and Salyut DOS pages as well as the resupply vehicles and landers.  I want to add more details for how to build Mir and the ISS Russian segment next.  As always, feedback welcome!

I've been thinking about the N3. The N3 (or NIII) was a 1963 proposed part of the N1 family of rockets that took the third stage Block V and replaced its vacuum-optomized engines with essentially the same engines that were on the Block B (four instead of eight) to make it a first stage. Like the N2 started with the Block B as the first stage.

According to http://www.astronautix.com/n/n111.html
Stage 1. 1 x N-111 - A. Gross Mass: 192,000 kg (423,000 lb). Empty Mass: 20,000 kg (44,000 lb). Thrust (vac): 2,540.000 kN (571,010 lbf). Isp: 331 sec. Burn time: 216 sec. Isp(sl): 296 sec. Diameter: 4.80 m (15.70 ft). Span: 6.80 m (22.30 ft). Length: 12.00 m (39.00 ft). Propellants: Lox/Kerosene. No Engines: 12. Engine: NK-19. Status: Study 1963. Comments: Variant of N1 Block V for first stage use. Number of engines would have to be increased and reduced expansion ratio nozzles fitted for sea level use. Least attractive of N1 variants and seems not to have been pursued after draft project.

Now, before I screw it up too badly, I think I need to create a renamed copy of _LLV_V_Engine_1.cfg with the few changes to the engine stats and add an entry in the localization cfg, reference all the existing models, scale back the thrust (half the Block B), copy the Atmosphere Curve of the Block B, and I should be good to go.

Right?