[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I hope you like Phobos
Because that's where we are going and if you keep complaining, my god, I will turn this rocket around right now.

de7cf743da.jpg
36130671ad.jpg
0879663b48.jpg
ed640730b3.jpg

The comparison to the old model is quite drastic! 
A leg is removed, and the size of the base increases to 0.9375m.

Another fun part here is the texture optimisation!
The previous texture was 1024x1024 (!) and only for the single control part.
A terrible work by myself in 2014!
New texture is 512x512 and space for most of the remaining Phobos grunt.

4cb26a5d47.jpg
acba25974a.jpg

Both the Fregat and Fobos Grunt need some kind of fairing (I think 0.9375m is a good size), because currently attachments does not look so solid....
7f8ee5a92e.jpg

Some more strange parts to use!
3525f3f6c9.jpg

Edited by Beale

24 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Looks great Beale!

And also for the new Antares, could we keep the parts for the old one as well? It's a useful and great looking tank.

Sure! The existing parts only need a texture refresh.

The full scale Antares will need some planning. I think the main issue, I am not sure how the engine looks.

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Sure! The existing parts only need a texture refresh.

The full scale Antares will need some planning. I think the main issue, I am not sure how the engine looks.

(psst you can hack off a nozzle and turn it into the Soyuz 2.1v/Yamal/Soyuz3 NK33)

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

(psst you can hack off a nozzle and turn it into the Soyuz 2.1v/Yamal/Soyuz3)

Well that was easy!

Fobos

Your communication points can now fly, it's the future!

315bed7b7d.jpg

On 28.07.2016 at 11:16 PM, trooperMNG said:

how did you get Soyuz-FG to work? Without cheaty modifications it's top heavy (and therefore unflyable)

I don't know, in RO (FAR aero) it works pretty well, given that I installed only regular R-7 fins from Tantares. I start my gravity turn pretty early though.

Beale, do you have older versions of Tantares still? I'm trying to recover a save from 1.0.4 which used a part called Vega.Node.B which seems to have been replaced in the newer versions. I've downloaded and searched all the older versions of Tantares I can find but they don't have it and nothing before December 2015 is available.

I'd just like to load the craft file again so I can replace the part. Plus not having my main deep space RT sats vanish would be cool.

1 hour ago, OTmikhail said:

I'm just gonna leave this here since Nauka was brought up recently. I will be covering the Node module and NEM in my next vid.

Thanks! Nice quite in-depth video :) 

2 minutes ago, Ratzap said:

Beale, do you have older versions of Tantares still? I'm trying to recover a save from 1.0.4 which used a part called Vega.Node.B which seems to have been replaced in the newer versions. I've downloaded and searched all the older versions of Tantares I can find but they don't have it and nothing before December 2015 is available.

I'd just like to load the craft file again so I can replace the part. Plus not having my main deep space RT sats vanish would be cool.

Hello!

Unfortunately options are limited. I do keep older copies online, but through KerbalStuff.
Of course, KerbalStuff is gone and those backups lost.

Somebody made a naughty unauthorised upload here. This looks like a version for 1.0.5, but should be good for 1.0.4 maybe?
But, I cannot vouch for this website, I don't have a problem with others uploading elsewhere, but I cannot guarantee what is in the download.

Hope this helps :) 

10 minutes ago, Beale said:

Hello!

Unfortunately options are limited. I do keep older copies online, but through KerbalStuff.
Of course, KerbalStuff is gone and those backups lost.

Somebody made a naughty unauthorised upload here. This looks like a version for 1.0.5, but should be good for 1.0.4 maybe?
But, I cannot vouch for this website, I don't have a problem with others uploading elsewhere, but I cannot guarantee what is in the download.

Hope this helps :) 

Yes I found the dead end links to Kerbalstuff, pity that. Did you mean to put a link in there somewhere? Or what site do you mean with 'here'?

Ta

2 hours ago, Ratzap said:

Yes I found the dead end links to Kerbalstuff, pity that. Did you mean to put a link in there somewhere? Or what site do you mean with 'here'?

Ta

Strange! I could swear I put the link, I try in plain text:

---

I don't know what this site is, but somebody put old Tantares there without telling me (unless my memory is bad)

Edit: the forum removes links to that site it seems. It was one of the Google image results for "Tantares old mod"

1 hour ago, DJ Reonic said:

@Ratzap I have the Kerbalstuff Repository that was made available for download after the site went under. If you know what version it was, I might have it. It seems I have every version from 10 to 33. If Beale OK's it, I might be able to get it to you.

I'm totally OK with it :)

Edited by Beale

Great. I can't find a version number but I found

Tantares – Stockalike Soyuz & More Mod For KSP 1.0.4

from September 2015 as a link to Kerbalstuff. That would be around the right time frame for the correct zip. If you can take the time, it should have a Vega_node_b.cfg in it somewhere.

The last few updates of Tantares LV the N1 has been difficult to control.  I am not able to tell if it is me or if something changed.  Have the gimbal rates been reduced?  Is it something with the 1.1.2 and 3 versions of the game?

Edited by Leszek

10 hours ago, Leszek said:

The last few updates of Tantares LV the N1 has been difficult to control.  I am not able to tell if it is me or if something changed.  Have the gimbal rates been reduced?  Is it something with the 1.1.2 and 3 versions of the game?

It's not just you.
It's an issue with KSP 1.1.x , and the weight distribution of the parts. It's "fixable" but requires excessive tweaking - the same issue causes launch stability problems for the majority of shuttle designs as well.

The easy way out is not to use too many reactionwheel parts on your upperstage (or turn them off), and clip some fins into the first, and second, stage fuel tanks. The third stage will still be a little wobbly, but by that point you'll be out of the atmosphere and things will be a little easier to control.

21 hours ago, Leszek said:

10 hours ago, tjsnh said:

It's not just you.
It's an issue with KSP 1.1.x , and the weight distribution of the parts. It's "fixable" but requires excessive tweaking - the same issue causes launch stability problems for the majority of shuttle designs as well.

The easy way out is not to use too many reactionwheel parts on your upperstage (or turn them off), and clip some fins into the first, and second, stage fuel tanks. The third stage will still be a little wobbly, but by that point you'll be out of the atmosphere and things will be a little easier to control.

Strange, now I am having no issues ever with the launch vehicles. Can you describe the issues? No config changes as I can remember.

13 hours ago, Bomoo said:

Off topic, but that bread avatar of yours, Beale, cracks me up every time I see it. That is all.

I am good for something eh?
707a378d66.jpg

Fobos Grunt.
What is the best option? 
Octagonal: Looks better, but less compatible with other parts (But, I can create a small collection of 0.9375m octagonal parts).
Circular: More compatible with other parts, but looks worse mounted on the Fobos.

7976082b1a.jpg
39079084c6.jpg

17 minutes ago, Beale said:

Strange, now I am having no issues ever with the launch vehicles. Can you describe the issues? No config changes as I can remember.

Fobos Grunt.
What is the best option? 
Octagonal: Looks better, but less compatible with other parts (But, I can create a small collection of 0.9375m octagonal parts).
Circular: More compatible with other parts, but looks worse mounted on the Fobos.

7976082b1a.jpg
39079084c6.jpg

Just a little wobbly on the way up, nothing too severe with the N1. It's most pronounced in stage 3, but can be resolved with careful application-and-not of reaction wheels.

I think the circular is a better option as it becomes useful with other parts, as you observed.

Do these previews mean the existing fobo probe is being replaced? or is the new one an addition?

2 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Just a little wobbly on the way up, nothing too severe with the N1. It's most pronounced in stage 3, but can be resolved with careful application-and-not of reaction wheels.

I think the circular is a better option as it becomes useful with other parts, as you observed.

Do these previews mean the existing fobo probe is being replaced? or is the new one an addition?

I think any issues may be resolved through grid-fins. The N1 is due to be revamped.

Thanks for the feedback, the Fobos is to be replaced, yes :) (It's actually two years old now! It has outlived all other Tantares parts). 

2 minutes ago, Joeybafoey said:

Hail the almightly loaf!

Kali Ma... Kali Ma... Kali Ma Shakti de.

7 minutes ago, Beale said:

I think any issues may be resolved through grid-fins. The N1 is due to be revamped.

Thanks for the feedback, the Fobos is to be replaced, yes :) (It's actually two years old now! It has outlived all other Tantares parts). 

Kali Ma... Kali Ma... Kali Ma Shakti de.

Bah Zah Loo Pah Dee Moo Kah. Three is fine but five is more. Even nineteen defeats four. Should just seven become lore, at least two will find the door.

Edited by Joeybafoey

I like circular, it looks better to me. I do however, prefer Fobos with 4 legs, it's more flexible that way. I like making probes with 4x or 2x symmetry, and the three legs doesn't let me. Maybe have an optional part we can replace it with to give it four legs?

More octagonal parts is always good imo.

Btw, any chance we could get a minor update to the TKS radial monoprop tanks so they can function as radiators and maybe make it possible to surface attach other components to them?

P.S. I love how on stock Kerbin, your proton first stage effectively functions as a (surprisingly decent!) SSTO :D