[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

4 hours ago, BezKartuza said:

Great mod. Only not all parts are translated into Russian.

Edit:

Craft files are not compatible (latest version of the game). None open.
Installed TantaresLV and Tantares.

https://i.ibb.co/QrqHhVS/screenshot0.png
https://i.ibb.co/71D7C0b/screenshot2.png

RU translations were very kindly provided by @TK-313, but of course he has his own life and priorities, so cannot be expected to update them as a given.

Happily will accept any pull requests for translations, if a person gives me a heads up first (I don't want to blindly integrate translation pulls without getting a feel for the person first, as there is a lot of trust there that they haven't put anything sketchy in).

1 minute ago, Beale said:

RU translations were very kindly provided by @TK-313, but of course he has his own life and priorities, so cannot be expected to update them as a given.

Happily will accept any pull requests for translations, if a person gives me a heads up first (I don't want to blindly integrate translation pulls without getting a feel for the person first, as there is a lot of trust there that they haven't put anything sketchy in).

I can translate, but i am not on github

1 hour ago, Beale said:

gzanjyM.png?width=1364&height=615
A7R60dK.png?width=777&height=614

Fantastic @Beale! Not sure if you are aware, but the Star Tracker part still only has the default texture. It shows as untextured in the Black, Green and White variants. Are you planning on retexturing the smaller rcs parts?

I do have a request for you to consider:  Some kind of 4-way aerodynamic rcs blister that could go on the Soyuz descent module for control on reentry with nerfed reaction wheels or Mandatory RCS. I've been using Internal RCS, but that can be quite tedious to set up and doesn't always look right.

2 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Fantastic @Beale! Not sure if you are aware, but the Star Tracker part still only has the default texture. It shows as untextured in the Black, Green and White variants. Are you planning on retexturing the smaller rcs parts?

I do have a request for you to consider:  Some kind of 4-way aerodynamic rcs blister that could go on the Soyuz descent module for control on reentry with nerfed reaction wheels or Mandatory RCS. I've been using Internal RCS, but that can be quite tedious to set up and doesn't always look right.

Still to fix textures.

Soyuz descent RCS has been discussed a few times, I have to take a look at that. Nice idea.

Edited by Beale

I created a new USI Life Support patch. Now I need to fix some glitches otherwise it will be ready. Also I need to understand how to make a pull request. Can somebody help with explaining me that?

Teaser: This is the description I made for the patch:

Spoiler

//    The general idea was that if Beale made Tantares parts for us to make VA/LK/Salyut/Progress/Soyuz/Mir/Polyus-like vessels than those who 
//    use the great USI-Life Support should be able to achieve Salyut/Progress/Soyuz/Mir/Polyus-like capabilities regarding life support.
//    It was kind of easy to achieve this for crew vehicles because I was able to look it up the approximaty supply capacities. For the rest it was
//    more difficult.
//    I made a research and checked every data I could find about the Salyut-7 program and its flights and other. So the Salyut-7 become the reference.
//    Making the Mir a reference proved to be more difficult for me due to all these different parts, so with this patch a Mir-replica would have
//    much larger capacities of supplies, recyclers and habitation. It got overpowerd. Sorry.
//    Also this reference means that RoverDude's original suggestions for USI-LS values are not used (ref: USI-LS wiki).

//    Salyut-7 had expeditions that spent ~half a year up in there. They were regularly visited by Progress resupply vessels. I made the assumption
//    that these carried significant amount of food, some water and other kind of supplies the crew needed. Based on the timeline I put together
//    usually these regular Progesses went up bi-monthly. So I assumed they could carry 2 months of supplies for the standard crew of 2. These
//    become the reference numbers. You can build a Salyut out of 2 crewed part in Tantares, so a smaller and larger hab part should be able to
//    provide 6 kerbal-months of habitation for a crew of 2. I added supply capacities to almos all parts.
//    Also because most of the parts have two variants, one with a small window, one without one, I decided I give those two variants different
//    capabilities. The windowless one become supply storage and recycle parts, the other the habitats. Larger parts can combine these two.
//    A Progress-replica would be able to provide 2 kerbal-months of supplies for a crew of 2 without recyclers.
//    Also if you intend to use the recycler patched parts than you would not have their habitat capacities, so such a Salyut would be able to
//    sustain its crew of 2 with fewer supplies but for a shorter time. Now you have the incentive to send up a new module with recycle parts for
//    improvement.
//    Also, I decided to not include any supplies for the VA-like return vehicle (part: Alnair LK1 'Måneskraper' Capsule) because that one was 
//    intended for only reentry. If you are using that in other than a TKS-replica, you need to creative with supplies and habitation.
//    The Polyus-like Rotanev parts got enhanced capacities so I could provide some bonuses for these advanced large parts. The windowless Rotanev
//    become an agroponics unit for your advanced stations or maybe interplanetary vessels...
//    Airlock parts are omitted for balance reasons.

//    Recycler names: "SRV-K"/"SRV-K2"/"Elektron"/"Elektron-M2" Life Support Recycler. SRV-K was a water recovery system onboard Salyuts. 
//    SRV-K2 was the same but on Mir. Elektron was a water-to-oxygen converter, still used on ISS. Elektron-M2 is an imaginary improved Elektron for
//    advanced station modules (Polyus-like).
//    Vozdukh is not mentioned here but it is a CO2 removing system.
//    The Rotanev agropony uses a system named "Vitatsikl-DP". Vitatsikl-T is a planned bio-regenerative life support system (BLSS) research for ISS.
//    The DP variant is an imaginary advanced-long term version (DP) of it.

Edited by bokrif

tym7xtn.jpg

What is the purpose of the three large clamps that surround the docking ring? They don't appear to close at all and remain static throughout the docking process? I could be wrong. 

Also, I've been having a lot of difficulty getting interest in playing KSP recently. I still love aerospace and love the forums. How do I reintroduce that?

9 minutes ago, Callistoan said:

What is the purpose of the three large clamps that surround the docking ring? They don't appear to close at all and remain static throughout the docking process? I could be wrong. 

Also, I've been having a lot of difficulty getting interest in playing KSP recently. I still love aerospace and love the forums. How do I reintroduce that?

The fins are used to 'index' (read: force alignment) of the ports.

Have you tried using like a radically different mod setup or something perhaps? For me KSP spawned an interest in space stuff and now I do a lot of reading in support of my own mod work. It feeds into each other - I read about cool stuff and want to make it, and making cool stuff makes me want to learn more. maybe it's the same with just playing?

Like I've been able to take kerbals to Mun, Minmus, but I've been struggling to build a spacecraft that is able to take Kerbals to other planets. I wanted to build like a modular spacestation/craft like the Hermes that has its own farms and is self-sustaining to a point. But can be very difficult and it falls apart. I also worry that cutting down on my mods will destroy my relay sat infrastructure. 

3 hours ago, Callistoan said:

Like I've been able to take kerbals to Mun, Minmus, but I've been struggling to build a spacecraft that is able to take Kerbals to other planets. I wanted to build like a modular spacestation/craft like the Hermes that has its own farms and is self-sustaining to a point. But can be very difficult and it falls apart. I also worry that cutting down on my mods will destroy my relay sat infrastructure. 

Things have kept it entertaining for me, since very early 2013! (And I still play fairly often, but not so much recently, it comes and goes):

Planets! Make your own planets, use other's I've liked:

(I know this is not so easy with Kopernicus right now).

Mods, but specifically kind of IRL-lite mods like BDB, this (I mean that is what I'm aiming for, kind of) and a bunch of other lovely stuff. Recreating missions, especially the stuff we just never managed to do IRL, is always fun.

example:

https://imgur.com/a/Y7PU7YJ

Narrative, okay this is kind of a weird one, but I think it is fun to screenshot journeys, etc. You can also try purposefully gimping yourself by having things go wrong, etc (Ever played dwarf fortress?).
Try BARIS? It's up to date despite the title.

Modding! Making mods is actually a lot of fun.

Finally, personally I never get too attached to anything, saves are transient, and I play in small bursts.

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Callistoan said:

How do the soyuz solar panels maintain consistent solar exposure without constant use of the attitude control system? Wouldn't that drain the peroxide tanks?

19 minutes ago, bokrif said:

I guess they can rotate the craft with the gyroscopes as well, so it only takes electricity.

This is a good guide:

http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/histind/Soyuz1Land/SoyAtti.htm

Really the gyro is only used to hold position. For solar panels, you only need to charge the batteries, so constant sunlight is not required, in many photos of Soyuz you can see it facing away:

MF7un4N.jpg

30 minutes ago, jpkerman said:

Would not the solar panels produce some charging off the reflected light from earth?

they only produce 0.6kw ion average, same as a small household solar panel setup, so I think if you relied on reflected light alone it would provide very little - I don't know for certain though.

8 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

Lookin' good, @Beale Any plans to add a decoupling function to the periscope? I currently have a rather interesting setup to get mine to decouple.

Thanks. Yes, this has been fixed in tyhe latest version I need to push, but I am travelling.