[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 10/2/2019 at 5:57 AM, sslaptnhablhat said:

Yes please!

Sorry for bombarding you with recolour requests lately, but if at all possible, could you also include a gray/cream (think Mir core module) colour variant for the main hab part?

Also, the new parts really look a lot nicer and more detailed than even some of your other recent parts, you're doing a particularly good job on this update.

Many thanks,

For the alternate skins, I think other people have to make them - there are a lot of good ideas but it is hard to narrow down.

On 10/2/2019 at 7:27 AM, yuri_3a3rin said:

before you quit are you gonna add more craft files for the ships and rockets i would love it and i am sad but i understand and thank you for making us this great mod

Sure, what are you looking for?

z5zqTDn.jpg

51 minutes ago, Beale said:

Many thanks,

Whenever reactions are finally reenabled, I think I have to go back and like all your posts, they certainly deserve it.

52 minutes ago, Beale said:

For the alternate skins, I think other people have to make them - there are a lot of good ideas but it is hard to narrow down.

True, we always have @Drakenex, right?

Current balancing suggestions:

Move all RCS earlier in tech tree.
Kosmos 2I (CharaLV) earlier in tech tree.
Soyuz engines - start weaker and get upgrades. Balance for early game R7.
Move general utility parts earlier in tech tree (For example decouplers).

Thanks for @Well @DylanSemrau @KerbalKore @Knarkle for suggestions.
Everyone else, please send yours!

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Everyone else, please send yours!

You might want to take a closer look at Zenit, I haven't really done any thorough testing but from what I saw a few months ago the main engine is far too powerful(?), being able to lift something like twice the payload of a Proton to LKO. I could be wrong though.

10 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

You might want to take a closer look at Zenit, I haven't really done any thorough testing but from what I saw a few months ago the main engine is far too powerful(?), being able to lift something like twice the payload of a Proton to LKO. I could be wrong though.

IIRC this was corrected, but I will  investigate - many thanks.

4 hours ago, NotABoomer said:

I wanna try out these new parts!! where can i download it? @Beale

You can get up-to-date cutting edge versions direct from Github:
https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares+

This will soon include the Salyut parts I have been showing recently.
Full releases come every month or so.

2 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I don't even know what that is, but I love it!

It's the Salyut 7 airlock &)

Edited by Beale

14 hours ago, yuri_3a3rin said:

i am looking for the n-1 craft file and some probes and just updating the mir core oh and vostok i have a hard time making it

They are uploaded there now.

13 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Beale Oh wow, I think you've really outdone yourself with the Salyut parts, they're leagues above even some of the more recent parts. Now... can you help me think of something beginning with "S" and ending in "Olar panels"? :huh:

Might be difficult, those panels were not designed to be stowed, which they would need to be for KSP, as we cannot add panels during EVA.

Salyut 7 launched with the panels we currently have, further to that they could even rotate before the extensions were applied.

xOzVc07.png

Speaking of solar panels, they have all been updated to the Restock style.

wl1sLZy.jpg
klwGL5Y.png

Edited by Beale

2 minutes ago, Beale said:

Speaking of solar panels, they have all been updated to the Restock style.

wl1sLZy.jpg

I've always been a big fan of the interesting shapes of the Tantares panels but they were looking a bit out of place next to the restock panel style. You have no idea how glad I am to see this update! 

For the first time ever, thanks to the illustrious @Zorg - there is now a comprehensive 1.5m (VAB form factor size 1.2) switch for the Soyuz rocket!
Major thanks for this, because I could never do this! Make sure for everyone to give the guy credit he deserves :D

This is now available on the latest github update, and will be included in the next release.

To enable:

• Have B9 installed.
  • Remove the .disabled from the included patch.

s0qcXY5.png

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

there is now a comprehensive 1.5m (VAB form factor size 1.2) switch for the Soyuz rocket!

All too happy to do this @Beale, 1.5m Soyuz R7 just looks too good :)

Couple of notes for anyone looking to try this out.

• This is not a proper mesh switch, this is swapping full models. As such the models overlap with the original 1.25m model when switched to 1.5m. This is not noticeable except at the endcaps of the fuel tanks
  • The 1.25m upper stage tanks are now switchable to 1.5m. and each of the conical 1.875m to 1.25m adapter tank is now switchable so that the narrow end terminates at 1.5m.
  • Switching is cosmetic only for now. Fuel quantity and mass does not change currently. Thus the performance will be the same as the 1.25m Soyuz. I think I've got an idea how to do it without having to create a full fledged set of B9 tank definitions and such but it may or may not interfere with fuel switcher mods like CryoTanks. Will test and update the patch if it goes well.
  • 1.5m upper stage engine, decoupler and staging plate are added as new parts since overlapping models make switching problematic. I didnt want to change the models directly like the old e-scale patch since people might still have a use for 1.25m parts. Plus this way crafts wont break.

14 hours ago, King Arthur said:

those that don't want to use Restock?

Those people exist? :P

For a more serious answer - sure I'm open to the idea if there is a big demand for it.
Show of hands those who want it?

Some experiments, thanks to @Well

Wpvx4pk2.png?width=767&height=615

12 minutes ago, Beale said:

Those people exist? :P

For a more serious answer - sure I'm open to the idea if there is a big demand for it.
Show of hands those who want it?

I'm one of them, I don't completely agree with what Restock does. :V

Note that I made the query based on the assumption that the assets already/still exist, and that it would be a relatively simple matter. If it's anything fairly involved, then I understand if you don't want to bother with it as you unwind your development work.

Edited by King Arthur
Typos. :V

@Beale you were asking about balance suggestions and I just had the thought that its not really possible to hot stage the N1 properly currently. Would it be possible to increase the temp limit to allow like 2-3 seconds of hot staging lead time without it exploding? I like the staging plates you made for Soyuz but I dont think such a solution would look right on N1.

2 hours ago, King Arthur said:

I'm one of them, I don't completely agree with what Restock does. :V

That's a first! interesting,  I'd love to hear your thoughts to why.

The older textures do exist, somewhere - I have deleted them locally but they are not lost (Can dive into past releases for example). So, it is not a huge job to do if enough people want this.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

@Beale you were asking about balance suggestions and I just had the thought that its not really possible to hot stage the N1 properly currently. Would it be possible to increase the temp limit to allow like 2-3 seconds of hot staging lead time without it exploding? I like the staging plates you made for Soyuz but I dont think such a solution would look right on N1.

Thanks, added to the list.

Small updates, the red across various parts has been made the same:

RniaiPm.png

Edited by Beale