[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Errr, http://www.astronautix.com/craft/zarya.htm

I don't see any mention of guns there. In fact, typing "soyuz zarya gunship" brought me to a very weird forum... which probably doesn't really care about historical accuracies.

Ah, hmmm...

I'm using this book as reference.

Sadly, I don't have it hand at the moment.

Basically a diagram of the "Zarya Soyuz" is given: The position of OM and DM are switched, from the DM extends a small cannon (machine gun?). From the service module, there are what look like some extra engines...?

It was developed (or conceptualized), IIRC, to defend Salyut stations, with the threat of the American Space Shuttle on the horizon.

Edit: Found it!

Edited by Beale

Errr, http://www.astronautix.com/craft/zarya.htm

I don't see any mention of guns there. In fact, typing "soyuz zarya gunship" brought me to a very weird forum... which probably doesn't really care about historical accuracies.

You may need a lie-down after hearing this news.

You may have been exposed to the mysterious force called "humour".

Some symptoms may include laughter and the like.

No no, I am the most boring man you will meet!

Deadly serious!

Found it here.

Maybe I've got the name wrong, but the "Soyuz VI" is what I have known as the Zarya. Conceptual combat spacecraft.

"Above the descent module was a recoilless gun developed by the well known Soviet designer A E Nudelman. It was designed for shooting in a vacuum and defending the military research spacecraft from enemy satellite inspector and interceptor satellites. The gun was aimed by maneuvering the entire spacecraft."

Lots more info on astronautix.

Edit: My "To defend against space shuttle attack" was way off, the concept dates back to the '60s.

Edit 2: The "extra engines" also, turn out to be radially mounted RTGs (Solar panels are easy targets!).

soyvi3.jpg

Man, I love this stuff.

Also, more combat spacecraft, there is Soyuz P and Soyuz PPK

soyuzp.jpgsoyuzppk.jpg

Edited by Beale

*Oh, I've got to discover it. Any good books on this myserious force?*

Anyway, Nudelman? The same guy who made the NS-23, NS-37 and NS-45 cannons for soviet WW2 fighter planes? I thought he was much older... too old to work on weapons in the '60s.

*Oh, I've got to discover it. Any good books on this myserious force?*

Anyway, Nudelman? The same guy who made the NS-23, NS-37 and NS-45 cannons for soviet WW2 fighter planes? I thought he was much older... too old to work on weapons in the '60s.

If I have the right one?

It says he died in 1996, however all I can find of his post 1960 work is of laser eye surgery, eh.

I can only imagine, if astronautix is right, that he designed "space guns" for a bit of fun, or technical exercise, in the '40s or '50s design bureaus.

Edited by Beale

I can agree, the Soyuz OM in particular was due a remake since I re-did the Soyuz DM.

Salyut IVAs are all due a makeover also, since the windows on the new exterior models are quite a bit bigger.

I think I can ask, is potentially an IVA like the Salyut control section is currently, more what you have in mind? :)

Yeah, I don't know if you've ever seen the inside of a Russian style station module, but they do look closer to the middle Salyut part. The big part at the rear of the station looks the worst to me, partly because it is oriented incorrectly. The "ceiling" of the module should be on one of the sides of the module, and the "floor" should be on the opposite side. If you still don't understand, here is a link to a video tour of the ISS. The Russian segment is towards the end of the video, but it gives you a good look at both the DOS and FGB style modules, as well as the Soyuz OM and ATV.

http://youtu.be/afBm0Dpfj_k

Yep. Exactly him. I'll leave now before I offtopic again.

Hehe, I like the history banter, but if you insist :)

Yeah, I don't know if you've ever seen the inside of a Russian style station module, but they do look closer to the middle Salyut part. The big part at the rear of the station looks the worst to me, partly because it is oriented incorrectly. The "ceiling" of the module should be on one of the sides of the module, and the "floor" should be on the opposite side. If you still don't understand, here is a link to a video tour of the ISS. The Russian segment is towards the end of the video, but it gives you a good look at both the DOS and FGB style modules, as well as the Soyuz OM and ATV.

http://youtu.be/afBm0Dpfj_k

Thanks for the video! There is a lot less usable space than the exterior suggests...

Also, for the next update, could you make a longer pressurized crew module for the FGB? I'm not a fan of having to stack two modules for a crew only TKS.

For this version, a bit too late.

I am just finishing up the Parachute/Port combo thing.

Then probably release tonight.

22182cb5cd.jpg

60b4229121.jpg

Next release, sure, maybe. It would be useful.

Hey Beale, that looks terrific! I am also currious about how to make a parachute part, did you find a tutorial somewhere?

Hiya!

No specific tutorial out there, as far as I know.

But...

This

and

This

Is where I learn how to make them, once you get one working it is fairly straightforward.

I wish you luck :) sorry I cannot help more.

Edit:

Okay, I am pretty sure a docking port / parachute combo is literally impossible without a plugin, unless I am doing something very wrong.

I'll take a look at some other mods that do this and see where I go wrong.

May have to change it to a decoupler.

Edited by Beale

You helped plenty, thank you :) i was thinking of making a gemini capsule if that wasn't something you had planned, so I am researching what I would need and the parachute thing came up. Do I understand right that a gemini capsule isn't in your plans? Don't want to step on any toes. :)

Okay, I am pretty sure a docking port / parachute combo is literally impossible without a plugin, unless I am doing something very wrong.

I'll take a look at some other mods that do this and see where I go wrong.

May have to change it to a decoupler.

Take a look on this mod, it has such a combo:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82045

Thanks for the video! There is a lot less usable space than the exterior suggests...

For this version, a bit too late.

I am just finishing up the Parachute/Port combo thing.

Then probably release tonight.

http://puu.sh/dGNNf/22182cb5cd.jpg

http://puu.sh/dGNYD/60b4229121.jpg

Next release, sure, maybe. It would be useful.

That parachute looks great! one thing you maybe could add to the IVAs would be space suits in storage. Maybe in the Soyuz OM you could put a suit, maybe without the helmet or gloves attached to it?

You helped plenty, thank you :) i was thinking of making a gemini capsule if that wasn't something you had planned, so I am researching what I would need and the parachute thing came up. Do I understand right that a gemini capsule isn't in your plans? Don't want to step on any toes. :)

Oh no, a Gemini is not in my plans :)

I would look forward to see anything you come up with!

Take a look on this mod, it has such a combo:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/82045

Thanks!

I have taken a look at Sum Dum, but it uses RealChutes.

Let's give this a look...

Edit: It's done the same as mine, except for an animation.

Stumped. :(

That parachute looks great! one thing you maybe could add to the IVAs would be space suits in storage. Maybe in the Soyuz OM you could put a suit, maybe without the helmet or gloves attached to it?

Ha! I like it.

Might need to brush up on my modeling skills before trying to make a suit though :sealed:

Edited by Beale

Thanks!

I have taken a look at Sum Dum, but it uses RealChutes.

Let's give this a look...

Edit: It's done the same as mine, except for an animation.

Stumped. :(

Maybe it's the model issues? Since as I remember the docking occur if the colliders touch or something like this (never made them, but heard something about it).

Maybe it's the model issues? Since as I remember the docking occur if the colliders touch or something like this (never made them, but heard something about it).

Maybe worth a shot, the collider is a little "rough" (Basically a cylinder, though the port is slightly conical).

My main suspicion is an animation issue, I think maybe the port is "activated" by animation? Eh, it is all weird.

I will take a look with a new more accurate collider, thanks :)

Cool! So this is the cannon used on Salyut.

On this issue, the Wikipedia lies. There would be difficulties, of course, if you put a usual gun in vacuum. There was a specially developed Nudelmann 23-mm gun modification for Salyut-3 according to most Russian sources.

I am having to wait for Antenna Range compatibility to add this mod. I have tried adding the posted codes myself but I must be doing something wrong so I will just wait till it is added by code masters.

Here you will find that Antenna Range cfg http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/81537-0-90-Tantares-Stockalike-Soyuz-and-MIR-12-3-2-Crew-1-25m-Pod-ATV-Beta?p=1621831&viewfull=1#post1621831

Yay! :)

Glad everything is figured out. :)

I am having to wait for Antenna Range compatibility to add this mod. I have tried adding the posted codes myself but I must be doing something wrong so I will just wait till it is added by code masters.

You are in luck, my friend!

AntennaRange compatibility is included in...

Tantares 13

Perhaps this is unlucky, well, the upload wasn't without problems (13.1 has fixed that though).

This includes the Fuji and new ATV + A huge lot of balance stuff (Thanks for the help guys!)

Naturally, brand new spacecraft, even though there have been beta distributions, there may be bugs, if you find any, let me know :)

A merry Christmas to you folk, hope you enjoy!

2739bb3556.jpg

Edited by Beale