[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

That looks ace Beale!
Great work, Can't wait to use it. :)
Release a beta.

Please.

I want to do my Soviet Mars mission now!

Great many thanks! :)

No parts are actually in-game yet, those screenshots are all in Unity :wink:

So will this have an Ascent engine?
How does it... get back up?

It gets back up the same way it lands (with a refueling stop on the surface. I may extend the craft in the future with a descent stage (to remove the need for ISRU).

It gets back up the same way it lands (with a refueling stop on the surface. I may extend the craft in the future with a descent stage (to remove the need for ISRU).

Again, you might wanna look at Blacky33's designs for nested engines.

Was really hoping for an ascent stage so I'd have something other than a flag to leave on the surface, so that Bill Kayman won't say that we never went to Duna. :sticktongue:

Still, excited to here that you're not giving up on an Ascent stage.

May I ask though, where are the engines?

Again, you might wanna look at Blacky33's designs for nested engines.

Was really hoping for an ascent stage so I'd have something other than a flag to leave on the surface, so that Bill Kayman won't say that we never went to Duna. :sticktongue:

Still, excited to here that you're not giving up on an Ascent stage.

May I ask though, where are the engines?

You will possibly leave behind ISRU components etc, without a descent stage :)

The engines I have not yet made, they will be radial - possibly similar to Dragon V2.

Used for both landing and ascent.

ea982d9a6c.jpg

spacex-dragon-v2%2B02.jpg

Edited by Beale

Hardware development for my first crewed interplanetary mission is progressing nicely. I decided I wanted a communications beacon in Eve orbit to act as a backup for the dish on the crew vehicle, or possibly to speed up the signal's travel time, if that's even possible. This is Marathon 1, a test model of the beacon to be used at Eve. it has a small pressurized compartment to store repair equipment, act as an airlock for repairs, and as an emergency control station if the beacon must be operated manually.

7bs2NtF.png

Soon, it will be visited by the first Soyuz IP spacecraft, a new model of Soyuz designed for the harsh rigors of interplanetary travel. The mission will test the Soyuz IP spacecraft and simulate an emergency repair mission to a Marathon Beacon.

I'm thinking of naming the ships in the mission after famous battles in history, hence Marathon. I've considered naming the crew ship the Rossbach but I think there may be bigger battles that deserve having that spot instead. For the Gilly lander, I think Hastings would be appropriate, it's a pretty important battle in history. The Eve descent probe may be called either Somme or Verdun, and any other ship I decide to name will be Fredricksburg (American Civil War, for you people from Ye Olde Worlde), or possibly Austerlitz or Waterloo.

Wow, I accidentally wrote a whole paragraph on ship names, for absolutely no reason other than to show off my knowledge of world history.

Hardware development for my first crewed interplanetary mission is progressing nicely. I decided I wanted a communications beacon in Eve orbit to act as a backup for the dish on the crew vehicle, or possibly to speed up the signal's travel time, if that's even possible. This is Marathon 1, a test model of the beacon to be used at Eve. it has a small pressurized compartment to store repair equipment, act as an airlock for repairs, and as an emergency control station if the beacon must be operated manually.

http://i.imgur.com/7bs2NtF.png

Soon, it will be visited by the first Soyuz IP spacecraft, a new model of Soyuz designed for the harsh rigors of interplanetary travel. The mission will test the Soyuz IP spacecraft and simulate an emergency repair mission to a Marathon Beacon.

I'm thinking of naming the ships in the mission after famous battles in history, hence Marathon. I've considered naming the crew ship the Rossbach but I think there may be bigger battles that deserve having that spot instead. For the Gilly lander, I think Hastings would be appropriate, it's a pretty important battle in history. The Eve descent probe may be called either Somme or Verdun, and any other ship I decide to name will be Fredricksburg (American Civil War, for you people from Ye Olde Worlde), or possibly Austerlitz or Waterloo.

Wow, I accidentally wrote a whole paragraph on ship names, for absolutely no reason other than to show off my knowledge of world history.

Nice!!!

What antenna is that on top? Looks like there are cords wrapping around the waveguide or something.

EDIT: I'm a dumb. It's a radiator / solar panel.

Question - I may have missed the answer, I've been off the forums for a few days, but is that mars lander crew module based off the existing VA capsule part?

(the same way the big-g extends the existing gemini part)

Great stuff! I look forward to see the mission progress! :)

"Elon Musk for scale"

I laughed harder than I should have. I think it's time for sleep.

This is why we use numbers :wink:

Question - I may have missed the answer, I've been off the forums for a few days, but is that mars lander crew module based off the existing VA capsule part?

(the same way the big-g extends the existing gemini part)

They are all completely new parts, though the idea is they are based off of the VA design. :)

The MAPC-VA is quite a lot shorter than the "real" VA.

a91f491834.jpg

What might make more sense is to give the white capsule a built in heatshield, then have the part below a straightforward decoupler. To avoid the issue with this large fairing not having a collider...

Edited by Beale

Hi Beale,

i just noticed that i get fps-killing null-reference-exceptions with everyone of your parts that have parachutes in it. In the VAB, SPH and in Flight.

Also the HAMAL Docking compartment A and Habitation A are scaled wrong with the latest tweakscale config of curtquarquesso.

My gamedata folder contains only Tantares, TantaresLV, 000_Toolbar and Tweakscale, but it is not a clean install (that a will test on the weekend).

P.S.: The Duna-Lander looks really retro-sci-fi!

Hi Beale,

i just noticed that i get fps-killing null-reference-exceptions with everyone of your parts that have parachutes in it. In the VAB, SPH and in Flight.

Also the HAMAL Docking compartment A and Habitation A are scaled wrong with the latest tweakscale config of curtquarquesso.

My gamedata folder contains only Tantares, TantaresLV, 000_Toolbar and Tweakscale, but it is not a clean install (that a will test on the weekend).

P.S.: The Duna-Lander looks really retro-sci-fi!

Oh dear!

How do I view these exceptions? Sorry, I have forgotten the shortcut for debug.

Thanks!

Best wishes to you too, Beale!

Thanks!

Well, I cannot resist a small update to leave on.

A

Crew cabin now is heatshield built-in. This is less than ideal, but sadly a limitation that must be resolved by.

9463e51c25.jpg

81b84d5a42.jpg

B

What was the heatshield fairing, is now a service compartment, with an inset 0.9375m docking port.

This part can contain supplies such as Monopropellant, electricity, KIS storage and reaction wheels...

What is exciting here is, this is a docking port - not a decoupler.

What you can do? Return a crew capsule to Duna orbit, re-fuel descent stage, grab a new payload with docking port and land again. Re-usable landing craft.

8a861f5a5d.jpg

0edd16d6be.jpg

Edited by Beale

Soyuz IP-1 has been flown, although it is being recorded as a failure. Numerous problems were experienced early in the flight, one of which led to a mission abort and emergency landing at the first available landing site. The crew and spacecraft survived, and Marathon 1 is still functioning, but it will be some time before the Soyuz IP-2 hardware can be assembled, and even more time to iron out the bugs, setting back the mission by an indefinite amount of time.

es7eQ8z.png

Soyuz IP-1 is rolled out to Kosmodrome Launchpad-G, the first time the pad has been used in quite a while.

TT9VCSS.png

Liftoff of Soyuz recorded by cameras near the pad. There is a noticeable lack of smoke.

DGFnvvW.png

An unknown bug occurred in the tracking software during ascent. THe trajectory failed to appear, and the telemetry from the booster made it appear to be stationary on the ground. The orbital trajectory appeared once the booster was jettisoned.

7ewrRER.jpg

The second complication occurred when the Launch Escape Tower was ejected. The jettison inadvertently caused the fairing to separate as well, however it failed to completely separate, and remained stuck to the vehicle throughout the ascent. It is believed that this issue caused the major problem which forced a mission abort.

vUR4npl.png

No dangerous problem appeared visible at that time, so the Flight Director allowed the mission to continue. The fairing pieces eventually fell away during Stage 2 separation/Stage 3 ignition, so the spacecraft was given a "Go" for orbital insertion.

t2UgINs.png

Once in orbit, the crew began instrument deployment and systems checks, and discovered that the solar arrays were unresponsive. The investigation has revealed that the panels were torn away from the spacecraft by the fairings due to the lack of a clean separation. The Flight Director immediately ordered a mission abort and selected an alternate landing site.

iDsN3iH.png

Deorbit took place half an orbit later in order for the Descent Module to land in daylight to aid the recovery team.

Os9WhkK.png

There was a minor scare during reentry when the heatshield ablated faster than expected (the first time I've ever seen reentry use up ablator), causing the spacecraft to reach nearly intolerable temperatures. Fortunately, the capsule came through intact and was able to proceed with the rest of the descent.

OPJKStx.png

Soyuz IP-1 descending by parachute, photographed by the recovery team. The crew has recommended the addition of soft landing thrusters or airbags to cushion the touchdown. The entire mission is recorded as lasting 49 minutes, whereas its original duration was set at one week.

I don't think the tracking bug is related to Tantares, but even if it was, I have so many mods running I don't feel like finding out.