[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

[quote name='BMot360']Just a query:
Is there a reason for the why the [I]G-750A Orbital Rocket Motor[/I] can only be decoupled via Action group and not via Staging?
I've been having a look around the CFG file and can see...
I'm not a modder, but I assume changing [I]staged[/I] to [I]true[/I] will enable this, but will it break anything else (not at home to test out)?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Redhornet919']the staging is disabled because the engine and decoupler would activate at the same time...[/QUOTE]

Yep, that's the reason.

You can change that line, but you will have to activate the engine manually with right click to prevent disaster.

[quote name='biohazard15']Okay, so I haven't played much in last couple of months, waiting for 1.0.5...

- Soyuz is still (STILL!!!) wildly (WILDLY!!!) overpowered. Too much thrust. Please stop making your engines so powerful. And no, "Tweak it" is not an answer.
- Vostok cannot survive a sub-orbital hop (130 km) - the atmosphere can't slow it down. Not sure if intentional or accidental.
- Some British engines sit at "Start" node.
- Also, Soyuz engines has no smoke FX.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the bug findings!

1. Yes the thrust is a little too high. For 1.3 tons of engines, the first stage has very high acceleration.

2. Still not sure how to fix this. I think it needs the drag-cube of the Soyuz capsule for a quick-fix.

3. Will fix.

4. Will fix.

[B]Window layouts. Tell me![/B]

[IMG]http://puu.sh/lztob/3a418a99b4.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='BMot360']There's an Alternate Texture folder in the Tantares download. I'm not at home, so can't check the file structure, but I imagine you replace the default files, e.g. in the SOYUZ folder, with the file from the Alternate Texture folder[/QUOTE]

[quote name='minepagan']In the download, there *should* be an 'alternate textures' folder. Just follow the included instructions.

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Crap, Ninja'd![/QUOTE]

[quote name='hraban']- open the "Tantares_-_Stockalike_Soyuz__More31.1.zip" file
- open Folder: "Alternate Textures"

[B]tadaaa![/B]

- there is a Folder named "Green Soyuz"
- open the Folder
- show the names of textures, compare and replace[/QUOTE]

I'll re-download Tantares from Kerbal Stuff. No sign of that folder on CKAN install. Thanks for your help

[COLOR=silver][SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -

[/SIZE][/COLOR]Problem solved. Thanks Edited by trooperMNG

Nice Design. As always ;).

Don't know if I missed anything in the change log for 1.0.5 but decoupling seems to be a new problem in general. Putting a decoupler and an engine in one stage it the decoupler explodes after activating that stage.

Most of the decouplers seem to be be weigh to weak for separations without activating the next engine.

[quote name='VenomousRequiem']I like it![/QUOTE]
[quote name='Jeb Jawkins']Nice Design. As always ;).
Don't know if I missed anything in the change log for 1.0.5 but decoupling seems to be a new problem in general. Putting a decoupler and an engine in one stage it the decoupler explodes after activating that stage.
Most of the decouplers seem to be be weigh to weak for separations without activating the next engine.[/QUOTE]

My main concern is, will windows on the forward section get in the way of solar panel placement?

On decoupler issue, this is unrelated to Tantares, engine ignition is now much more dangerous, or so I have heard.
The decouplers force can be increased, but it is already higher than stock IIRC, I will check.

On November 24, 2015 at 3:07:24 PM, dimovski said:

@curtquarquesso
What about the big 2.5m(3.75m?) almaz engine? You know, with the sharp taper and Soyuz-Service-Module-like engine?

Do you mean these engines?

IMG06614dd8f5.jpg

I think this engine should be rethought. There are a few ways to do it:

kV4lkOO.gif

I would extend the length of the baseplate, and and reduce the length of the orbital engine. These can either be two parts, or just one. A combined tank and engine like it is now, or a shorty 2.5m monopropellant tank, and a 1.25m engine. I'd be happy with either solution. Right now though, it makes little sense to have two versions of this engine, one with a flat baseplate, and one without.

On Salyut
Thanks!
The more eagle-eyed persons may have noticed it is without an airlock. There is planned a small 2.5m "airlock" part, so you can extend the Salyut with airlock functionality and have a longer body for Salyut 6/7.
The Fore sections will also retain airlocks too.
I'm not sure on the windows, their current size is pretty accurate as far as I can tell (it had very tiny windows IRL!). But, I will play around.

Window layouts. Tell me!
http://puu.sh/lztob/3a418a99b4.jpg

More windows is great! It'd be nice to have them all actually face Nadir, and not face radially outwards, but I know that'd be a tall order. It'd be nice to have some smaller, some larger, and some asymmetric.
I think the way that the DOS type parts could be rethought, mainly the crew area, and the aft area, and how those sections are divided up.
Here's a logical way to plot it all out:

smwvqVo.png

In order for the "Star" OMS engines to actually be useful, you have to clip a bunch of monopropellant into the back of the crew tank, and it just feels cheat-ey and stupid. I think there needs to be a dedicated 2.5m Monopropellant/docking tunnel part. It'd make the length more accurate, and it'd make replication of the DOS type stations easier.

I think special attention should be paid to the Salyut/DOS parts, as they really are the core of the Tantares mod. They probably get nearly as much use as the Soyuz parts. Take your time with these.

EDIT: Post all fixed! Darn forums...

Edited by curtquarquesso

I think that the control block should not have an airlock, but instead make the smallest segment of the Salyut parts (it's replaced by the docking node on Mir) have the hatch. That's where the airlock was in real life, and it spreads out systems across the entire station instead of clustering everything into one part, leaving the others to be mere aesthetic additions. On Mir, this would also give another reason for adding extra modules, as the station will not be able to support EVAs until you add an airlock module. Of course, for lazy people, you would still be able to EVA from the Soyuz OM.

[quote name='Beale']My main concern is, will windows on the forward section get in the way of solar panel placement?

On decoupler issue, this is unrelated to Tantares, engine ignition is now much more dangerous, or so I have heard.
The decouplers force can be increased, but it is already higher than stock IIRC, I will check.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Problem definitely came into the game with 1.0.5
Happens with other mods, too.
Seems like the decouplers could need a value for heat resistance? Don't know - is it possible to add something like that?

4 hours ago, Beale said:

EVERYTHING IS BROKEN.

"BB Codes will be converted automatically" they said.

BLEH.

"Let's update the forums just because we can!"

Looks like they forgot the old saying: Do not fix something that is working perfectly.

Other things:

- The Sharik behaves... strangely when subjected to water.

http://i.imgur.com/6mbZKZ6.png

(BTW, no need to fix its aero bu adding Soyuz drag box. It was actually pretty fun to land it)

Edited by biohazard15

22 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

"Let's update the forums just because we can!"

Looks like they forgot the old saying: Do not fix something that is working perfectly.

Other things:

- The Sharik behaves... strangely when subjected to water.

http://i.imgur.com/6mbZKZ6.png

(BTW, no need to fix its aero bu adding Soyuz drag box. It was actually pretty fun to land it)

Thanks for the report, looks like the Centre of Displacement is located near the end of the capsule (blame lazy me :) )

I'm still torn on re-entry, it is very possible - but requires some planning. 
Sometimes I would like to be more care-free with capsules, you cannot do that with the Vostok.

5 hours ago, Sackpfeife said:

Looks Awesome! I like the window placement a lot.

Sincere condoglianze about not having over 1000 pages :(

Thanks!

And yes! A sad loss, oh well. We'll get there again one day.

12 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

We're online! Welcome back everyone. What better thing to start off with than a new project I've started, eh?

http://i.imgur.com/Y4EmOjS.png

Nice little station! :) 

Some good background music for a video :wink: 

Some More Things

b3f586ff0f.jpg

a4510220ec.jpg

This is not a default colour scheme, but fun to play around!

dd8a598a1b.jpg

Edited by Beale

Just as I was about to finally get back to KSP and see what mods have updated for 1.0.5 first a day or two ago, a land mower goes over this forum site. So now that it has passed I can continue, one heck of a land mower eh? Actually scratch the land mower thing since this is space related site mainly about KSP it really is more of a comet/asteroid related incident and I guess the Squad HQ ran out of funds to repair the damages so now it slowly recovers. :confused:

Anyway, liking the look of new things in Tantares. How's IVA progress been?

EDIT: Oh nice, Polaris has IVA. Finally! Will be useful frontal crew compartment for me. *starts cobbling together things*

Edited by T'Flok

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Some More Things

b3f586ff0f.jpga4510220ec.jpg

This is not a default colour scheme, but fun to play around!

dd8a598a1b.jpg

Yikes. New forum is janky. This will take some adjusting...

I cleaned up my post so it can actually be read now. I'd appreciate your thoughts on some of it. 

While the forums were down, I spent some time really scouring for drawings of the DOS and FGB type spacecraft, and came up with a ton of possibly obscure stuff:

I apologize for the sheer volume. There's actually even more that I have. Mainly, the user manuals essentially for the Russian segment of the ISS. If you want them, let me know. 

I really like the color scheme! Definitely include a few alternate textures in there. :)

Edited by curtquarquesso

Okay.. I have to ask, is there a reason why I cannot seem to locate most of the 'parts' from this mod?  I ask, as I am attempting to do a  Soyuz missions and I just thought that I wasn't creative enough to look at the supplied image and make it, so I downloaded a craft [1.0.4] and it would seem that I am missing parts?

This is the craft that I am attempt to load, can someone suggest something  , Thanks.

http://kerbalx.com/CaptKordite/Soyuz-7K-OKS

39 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

Okay.. I have to ask, is there a reason why I cannot seem to locate most of the 'parts' from this mod?  I ask, as I am attempting to do a  Soyuz missions and I just thought that I wasn't creative enough to look at the supplied image and make it, so I downloaded a craft [1.0.4] and it would seem that I am missing parts?

This is the craft that I am attempt to load, can someone suggest something  , Thanks.

Did you download Tantares, or TantaresLV?

Yes - I did, now I am new to KSP and unless installing these two mods is different.  I have done as I have always done and I have the following:

GameData\Tantares &
GameData\TantaresLV

I could be very very blind and not see them all, but I don't see how to make the "round" command module of the ship.

Edited by gamerscircle

2 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

This is my uploaded craft and I just checked it. It uses Tantares and TantaresLV. There are no parts from this 1.0.4 craft that will not work in 1.0.5 so, if you loaded those two, I don't know why you might be missing things.

Something to note: When I built it in 1.0.4, I placed nesting rockets to push the boosters away from the core in a nice Korolev's Cross. The new thermals in 1.0.5 unfortunately cause those nesting rockets to explode the core rocket. You would need to rebuild the rocket and move the nesting rockets elsewhere to keep the craft from detonating. Soon, though, I will be posting a new R7 subassembly on KerbalX so you can replace the booster with something a little less explody.

Edited by CaptKordite

9 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

okay.. okay.. I think, I found the issue.  There is another MOD NASA, Career-mode total conversion that is doing some re-arranging.  I am hoping to hear back from the author and see what can be done.

I'm the author but dont think I got a message from you.