[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Oh dear!

How do I view these exceptions? Sorry, I have forgotten the shortcut for debug.

Thanks!

Hi Beale,

first let me wish you a nice hiatus.

secondly: apperently the exeptions did not come from your mod,

it seems to be a KSP bug and theres a workaround for that:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126462-1-0-4-Parachutes-throwing-exceptions/page4

@curtquarquesso:

seemed to be a one time bug, i can´t reproduce it..

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here. Updated some stuff thru CKAN, now the game won't load, seems Tantares related. It was freezing loading the Castor engine, removed castor engine cfg, now it's freezing on the Pollux engine. Both times, throwing this in the log and the loading screen just stops:

[LOG 11:51:17.666] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Pollux.Control.A'
[LOG 11:51:17.697] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy
[LOG 11:51:17.697] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: OnDestroy
[LOG 11:51:17.708] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Tantares/Parts/CYGNUS/_Phoenix_Engine_A/Pollux_Engine_A'
[LOG 11:51:17.728] *RFMEC* ERROR Can't find configuration Hydrazine, falling back to first tech-available config.
[EXC 11:51:17.728] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
RealFuels.TechLevels.TechLevel.CanTL (.ConfigNode cfg, .ConfigNode mod, System.String type, Int32 level)
RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration, Boolean resetTechLevels)
RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 11:51:17.733] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleJettison.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 11:51:17.735] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.SetupICrossSectionAdjusters ()
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.Start ()
[EXC 11:51:17.736] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartStressTemplate].get_Item (Int32 index)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroStress.DetermineStressTemplate (.Part p)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARAeroPartModule.Start ()
[LOG 11:52:02.249] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy
[LOG 11:52:02.249] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

Might be a RealFuels thing too I guess.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here. Updated some stuff thru CKAN, now the game won't load, seems Tantares related. It was freezing loading the Castor engine, removed castor engine cfg, now it's freezing on the Pollux engine. Both times, throwing this in the log and the loading screen just stops:

[LOG 11:51:17.666] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Pollux.Control.A'
[LOG 11:51:17.697] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy
[LOG 11:51:17.697] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntennaPassive: OnDestroy
[LOG 11:51:17.708] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'Tantares/Parts/CYGNUS/_Phoenix_Engine_A/Pollux_Engine_A'
[LOG 11:51:17.728] *RFMEC* ERROR Can't find configuration Hydrazine, falling back to first tech-available config.
[EXC 11:51:17.728] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
RealFuels.TechLevels.TechLevel.CanTL (.ConfigNode cfg, .ConfigNode mod, System.String type, Int32 level)
RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.SetConfiguration (System.String newConfiguration, Boolean resetTechLevels)
RealFuels.ModuleEngineConfigs.OnLoad (.ConfigNode node)
PartModule.Load (.ConfigNode node)
Part.AddModule (.ConfigNode node)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 11:51:17.733] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ModuleJettison.OnStart (StartState state)
Part.ModulesOnStart ()
Part+.MoveNext ()
[EXC 11:51:17.735] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.SetupICrossSectionAdjusters ()
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartGeometry.GeometryPartModule.Start ()
[EXC 11:51:17.736] ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
System.Collections.Generic.List`1[FerramAerospaceResearch.FARPartStressTemplate].get_Item (Int32 index)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroStress.DetermineStressTemplate (.Part p)
FerramAerospaceResearch.FARAeroComponents.FARAeroPartModule.Start ()
[LOG 11:52:02.249] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy
[LOG 11:52:02.249] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

Might be a RealFuels thing too I guess.

I'm not fix it wizard, but when you have a bug and you are using ckan then the first people you should ask is ckan cause it's the one that screws up installs more often than human error.

So, as Beale is less active than usual (how dare he?! I want 24/7 coverage of my unintelligent posts by you Beale, 24/7!) it's time...

TO CLOG THE THREAD UP WITH MISSION REPORTS!

I present you, Zarya-I!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Javascript is disabled. View full album

If anyone cares, this was done with 0.90, with some Voskhod parts from... either raidernick or MrTheBull, OLDD, a heavily modified Kosmos RD-0440, procedural parts, and most importantly... Tantares.

Some hiatus eh?

purty :)
Gorgeous work buddy :D
So it's in-game now?

I want to test..

Many thanks!

Download Work-In-Progress Parts

Place the "MAPC" folder inside Tantares/Parts/

More news.

Capsule has RCS, though it is disabled by default (you can enable it for re-entry, etc).

5a8b112e9a.jpg

Good DV.

beb4a3cd72.jpg

Very good flight characteristics, fun to fly and hover.

5572bb1700.jpg

8e9938d1f1.jpg

Landing gear works very well. Missing piston of yet, but finishing touch that is.

62bbada2f1.jpg

Good job Beale, love this lander, i'm working on a lander too, glad to see different idea.

Looks good!

So, as Beale is less active than usual (how dare he?! I want 24/7 coverage of my unintelligent posts by you Beale, 24/7!) it's time...

I present you, Zarya-I!

http://imgur.com/a/PlVGU

http://imgur.com/a/uBtb3

If anyone cares, this was done with 0.90, with some Voskhod parts from... either raidernick or MrTheBull, OLDD, a heavily modified Kosmos RD-0440, procedural parts, and most importantly... Tantares.

Oh I have missed your posts! Welcome back.

Sorry I have to step in and... be here.

Nice Mun Moon (thanks Niemand) station, very fun to see the old parts too! :)

Edited by Beale

I present you, Zarya-I!

http://imgur.com/a/PlVGU

http://imgur.com/a/uBtb3

Wait, is this all in RO/RSS? If so, my grats to you, I rarely got anything into the Moon SOI. :)

Many thanks!

I suppose it cannot hurt to release some of the parts now.

More news.

Capsule has RCS, though it is disabled by default (you can enable it for re-entry, etc).

http://puu.sh/ldYY0/5a8b112e9a.jpg

Good DV.

http://puu.sh/ldYZ5/beb4a3cd72.jpg

Very good flight characteristics, fun to fly and hover.

http://puu.sh/ldZ2L/5572bb1700.jpg

http://puu.sh/ldZ39/8e9938d1f1.jpg

Landing gear works very well. Missing piston of yet, but finishing touch that is.

http://puu.sh/ldZ6U/62bbada2f1.jpg

Wow, looks really cool! I wish I could RO-fy this properly :P

@Beale,I was here all the time, I just didn't have anything to post, really. You on the other hand... should be expelled to some island to take some rest... Seriously, you might be spending a bit too much time around here. (Just kidding, 24/7 Beale!!!)

@Niemand, yeah this is RSS with a *lot* of time and effort spent into designing realistic methane/methalox NTR/LANTR stages for the Soviets... I've spent a good couple o' pages of paper and RPA tests to get the YaRD-AF just right (I think that the LANTR version is 25+-s accurate, which is, IMO, a neat accomplishment :) I've built a 3rd stage methalox LANTR in fact with those fancy r/squareroot(2) bulges for maximum realism, proper ratio of oxidizer to fuel volumes... and now I can finnaly launch the same mass into orbit the Americans could with the Saturn V... and 20 tons more :)

It isn't RO-ified, mostly because life support of a rather big space-station for 2 people isn't exactly challenging, methane is barely cryogenic and won't boil-off in 4 days in any significant amount (and the stage had 300m/s extra, for a total of... 4700-800m/s, so there was plenty of reserve left, anyway)... The loss in lifting capacity for a big booster like the N-I due to lower thrust at liftoff is trivial, too, and again, I had 300m/s to play with...

So have you made a tweak scale config?

When I get a little time tomorrow, I'll update the TweakScale configs. I won't be able to test, but it should be correct. Just need a volunteer to test out the scaling parameters.

Beale! Great work. With the radial engines, I'm worried about fairly severe cosine losses. Have you considered a retractable engine in the center of the heatshield? Another option could be an engine and landing legs hidden under a the heat shield. Would be jettisoned after atmospheric entry Basically, an all-in-one fuel tank, engine, and landing leg module.

I REALLY like the built in capsule RCS. How difficult is it to configure in Unity?

Chunky RCS looks handy. Will be great on Salyut-like stations. Unique RCS parts are always a good thing.

Any more progress on Fuji?

@Niemand, yeah this is RSS with a *lot* of time and effort spent into designing realistic methane/methalox NTR/LANTR stages for the Soviets... I've spent a good couple o' pages of paper and RPA tests to get the YaRD-AF just right (I think that the LANTR version is 25+-s accurate, which is, IMO, a neat accomplishment :) I've built a 3rd stage methalox LANTR in fact with those fancy r/squareroot(2) bulges for maximum realism, proper ratio of oxidizer to fuel volumes... and now I can finnaly launch the same mass into orbit the Americans could with the Saturn V... and 20 tons more :)

It isn't RO-ified, mostly because life support of a rather big space-station for 2 people isn't exactly challenging, methane is barely cryogenic and won't boil-off in 4 days in any significant amount (and the stage had 300m/s extra, for a total of... 4700-800m/s, so there was plenty of reserve left, anyway)... The loss in lifting capacity for a big booster like the N-I due to lower thrust at liftoff is trivial, too, and again, I had 300m/s to play with...

Wow, this is utterly amazing! Also, by chance, do you still have that YaRD config? I think It could become a part of RO and a good alternative to NERVA! :)

I wanted to add this engine, but couldn't find any reliable info on it though, only some RD-0410.

Wow, this is utterly amazing! Also, by chance, do you still have that YaRD config? I think It could become a part of RO and a good alternative to NERVA! :)

I wanted to add this engine, but couldn't find any reliable info on it though, only some RD-0410.

YaRD config?

Funny flying saucer :)

Great work Beale!

I check if Tweakscale apply to the landing platform.

Thanks!

Good to hear the platform works well small.

Beale! Great work. With the radial engines, I'm worried about fairly severe cosine losses. Have you considered a retractable engine in the center of the heatshield? Another option could be an engine and landing legs hidden under a the heat shield. Would be jettisoned after atmospheric entry Basically, an all-in-one fuel tank, engine, and landing leg module.

I REALLY like the built in capsule RCS. How difficult is it to configure in Unity?

Chunky RCS looks handy. Will be great on Salyut-like stations. Unique RCS parts are always a good thing.

Any more progress on Fuji?

Thanks!

The angle is a problem yes, it was brought up a lot on the Reddit post also. I'm not so sure. I prefer not the heat-shield to be expendable, so the entire craft is re-usable in theory (It's an SSTO also for that reason). An engine embedded into the heat-shield is possible, but I'm not sure it will work well without plugins (it needs to be a believable heat-shield without holes).

Capsule RCS very simple! Just set it up like any other RCS thruster in unity, then in the module RCS in config, add this line:

rcsEnabled = False

No more work on Fuji, aside from RCS boom which was shown off earlier.

Fuel tanks are modeled, but those bauble tanks have always been a problem to unwrap and texture, no enthusiasm to do that... yet.

917d2e9d5e.jpg

I may need to take a totally different approach to these (radial?).

561cc3776f.jpg

Thanks!

Good to hear the platform works well small.

Thanks!

The angle is a problem yes, it was brought up a lot on the Reddit post also. I'm not so sure. I prefer not the heat-shield to be expendable, so the entire craft is re-usable in theory (It's an SSTO also for that reason). An engine embedded into the heat-shield is possible, but I'm not sure it will work well without plugins (it needs to be a believable heat-shield without holes).

Capsule RCS very simple! Just set it up like any other RCS thruster in unity, then in the module RCS in config, add this line:

rcsEnabled = False

No more work on Fuji, aside from RCS boom which was shown off earlier.

Fuel tanks are modeled, but those bauble tanks have always been a problem to unwrap and texture, no enthusiasm to do that... yet.

http://puu.sh/lfcWQ/917d2e9d5e.jpg

I may need to take a totally different approach to these (radial?).

http://puu.sh/lfcY8/561cc3776f.jpg

I see quite a few problems with the MAPC-VA to be honest. (Sorry.)

1. Docking Service Module: For it to be feasible, the crew capsule would need a docking port as well that retracts into the heats shield, which would theoretically take up a lot of interior volume which the capsule doesn't appear to have. The other issue is, that in real life, it's likely not feasible. The VA capsule had a hatch between the capsule and the core module, but it was single-use. No re-docking possible.

2. Not enough over-all interior volume. From the looks of the design, the only habitable part is the capsule, which just doesn't feel right. I'd need to land additional hardware to make a mission feasible. I would go 5m with the base. Go big. 3.75m just seems to small. It just doesn't look like a Kerbal could stand up in the service module.

3. Cosine Losses. Unless you steepened the over-all angle of the capsule, I'd probably use a retro-pack like the NASA MEM plans instead of the radial engines.

4. Heavy Heat Shield to haul: I like ascent/descent stages personally, because I like leaving behind equipment to be used on future missions. Plus, it's more efficient, and encourages better planning. I don't like SSTOs because they feel a little cheat-ey.

5. Redundant Capsule: I would just stick with the current VA capsule to cut down on part bloat, and change the angle of the entire vehicle slope. Perhaps there are issues with this I haven't considered. What would it look like if all the parts had the same slope as the current VA capsule?

I think if you really fleshed out the MEM, took more time with it, and developed TMK, you could get another add-on pack out of this. I think you kinda have to figure out if the vessel you're making is a MEM, or a VA derived theoretical Soviet Lander.

Handy References:

Astronautix MEM Page

Future Russian Mars Expeditions

Best TMK Render I've seen yet.

tumblr_nmlx1t5wEW1u0vd4co1_1280.jpg

Interior:

forpost.jpg

Fuji:

Radially attached LFO spheres would be great. Much more versatile and lego-like. Perhaps some struts on them that make them look them look like they're not attached via witchcraft.

An idea with the with the Fuji Heat Shield; What if it had a fairing like the concept Fuji does? That way, it could be toggled on an off depending on whether you were using it for Fuji, or something else. Could be neat...