[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

Quick question...did the structural node rounded end-cap thing ever get released? I can't seem to find it 

Also, @curtquarquesso, what's happened to your TweakScale config? It was so useful

I modeled it, and Beale made a decent texture for it, but something was off about it. Likely my modeling. I mean, it's such a minimal part, so it's difficult to detail, or embellish. It should defenitely be added at some point, but it needs a good model first. Perhaps an alternate node altogether would be a good idea. The Zvezda TC and the Zarya and Kristall nodes do differ I believe. 

TweakScale configs are linked on page one. I removed one signature link because I've given up on craft files for a while. Tantares and KSP is in such a state of instability and flux, it feels rather futile. I'll make a link in my sig just for the TweakScale configs for easy acces. 

Edited by curtquarquesso

12 hours ago, curtquarquesso said:

I modeled it, and Beale made a decent texture for it, but something was off about it. Likely my modeling. I mean, it's such a minimal part, so it's difficult to detail, or embellish. It should defenitely be added at some point, but it needs a good model first. Perhaps an alternate node altogether would be a good idea. The Zvezda TC and the Zarya and Kristall nodes do differ I believe. 

TweakScale configs are linked on page one. I removed one signature link because I've given up on craft files for a while. Tantares and KSP is in such a state of instability and flux, it feels rather futile. I'll make a link in my sig just for the TweakScale configs for easy acces. 

I tried that but it just looped back to the front page. I don't know if that's a problem on my side or not

12 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

@curtquarquesso Could you tell me how you made the Apollo CSM for the ASTP video? Relating to that, why was it seemingly never finished?

It's a TweakScale resize of the Fuji LFO main engine. Currently though, it's broken in the latest Tantares release. Beale is in the process of revamping those parts. A good alternate recommendation would be a TweakScaled resize of hoojiwana's 1.25m MonoProp engine. Very nice model, just needs to be resized. In answer to the second question, a combination of school, KSP version changes, add-on incompatibilities, and an unrelenting perfectionism when it comes to KSP, and KSP replicas. I want to do it still, and I want to do it really well, but I'd like to wait for a really good version of the Apollo capsule to come out, likely something utilizing reflective shaders in 1.1. One day...

10 hours ago, the.fllying.ace said:

just an idea, make some pre built ships like a pre built Soyuz so we don't have to figure out which parts go where ;)

I know that @CaptKordite has some nice crafts. I may throw up a few basic craft files just to help people out. Nothing crazy intricate or dependent on other add-ons. 

4 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

I tried that but it just looped back to the front page. I don't know if that's a problem on my side or not

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

That's what it does for forum links since the links are handled differently since the IPS switchover.

Yup. That's what it is. I'll try to find all the links again and send them to Beale to make fixing the front page a bit easier. 

Edited by curtquarquesso

@Beale all of the FUJI parts are looking for a Polaris_Crew_A_psd texture in the FUJI folder but the only texture file there is in .MBM was it supposed to be converted?

edit: I used mbm to png to convert it, then stuck it in a folder called \Polaris_Crew_A_psd\ and the texture substitution errors cleared.

Also _MIR_Node_B.cfg is looking got a model Parts/SALYUT/MIR_Node_B but there is only a MIR_Node_A?

:) thank you.

Edited by Aivoh

1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

Thanks, @curtquarquesso but what did you do for mounting the full cells on it? I forgot to ask.

@Beale, I assume the terrible Fuji textures are from the revamp in progress? But, the mod is one of my must-haves and I love making stations with the parts. 

Yes, the parts are currently using a... 32x32(?) textures for fallback.

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

Speaking of stations...

Meet Andromeda

Orbiting 64k Kerbin in all its rounder glory 

Wow-ow-ow! Nice :) 

58 minutes ago, Aivoh said:

@Beale all of the FUJI parts are looking for a Polaris_Crew_A_psd texture in the FUJI folder but the only texture file there is in .MBM was it supposed to be converted?

edit: I used mbm to png to convert it, then stuck it in a folder called \Polaris_Crew_A_psd\ and the texture substitution errors cleared.

Also _MIR_Node_B.cfg is looking got a model Parts/SALYUT/MIR_Node_B but there is only a MIR_Node_A?

:) thank you.

Both these are fixed for next release :)

I try not to post specific requests too often, but I've got one - and if the answer is 'buzz off' that's totally ok :)

What kind of bribes would be involved to get a 1.875m version of the tantares heatshield/decoupler part at some point in the future? What about a 1.875m decoupler that isn't as "tall"/"thick" as the existing one that comes with the VA/TKS part set? (I know some exist in other mods, but to be frank they're not up to the quality standards of these parts, and would greatly simplify craft construction for my career mode overhaul mods without bringing in another parts pack for just 2 parts)

Also, FWIW, I've been able to make a very accurate-looking Angara/Angara5 (to mount to the old PPTS parts) using the tantares black arrow's 1.875m tanks and the stock SSME that was in the latest KSP update. If we had a single nozzle 1.875m engine, even a simplistic one, it would be a godsend. (or even an engine that was basically just a nozzle, and could be mounted to various sized tanks, such as the stock SSME part)

5 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

What kind of bribes would be involved to get a 1.875m version of the tantares heatshield/decoupler part at some point in the future? What about a 1.875m decoupler that isn't as "tall"/"thick" as the existing one that comes with the VA/TKS part set? (I know some exist in other mods, but to be frank they're not up to the quality standards of these parts, and would greatly simplify craft construction for my career mode overhaul mods without bringing in another parts pack for just 2 parts)

Also, FWIW, I've been able to make a very accurate-looking Angara/Angara5 (to mount to the old PPTS parts) using the tantares black arrow's 1.875m tanks and the stock SSME that was in the latest KSP update. If we had a single nozzle 1.875m engine, even a simplistic one, it would be a godsend. (or even an engine that was basically just a nozzle, and could be mounted to various sized tanks, such as the stock SSME part)

The bribe involved is a quick illustration of what you have in mind, and you might just find this part you request in the next release :wink: 

My current plan for TKS, remove built in shield of the capsule, keep existing decoupler and add a new 1.875m heatshield like you suggest.

2 minutes ago, Beale said:

The bribe involved is a quick illustration of what you have in mind, and you might just find this part you request in the next release :wink: 

My current plan for TKS, remove built in shield of the capsule, keep existing decoupler and add a new 1.875m heatshield like you suggest.

Epic. I'll post a mock-up this evening when i get home to show you what I mean.
I tried making the 1.875m engine part myself, using the excellent guide you posted elsewhere for wings3d/etc, but I wasn't able to get gimbaling working and the part ended up kindof .. well .. very low quality ... ;) 

5 hours ago, tjsnh said:

Epic. I'll post a mock-up this evening when i get home to show you what I mean.
I tried making the 1.875m engine part myself, using the excellent guide you posted elsewhere for wings3d/etc, but I wasn't able to get gimbaling working and the part ended up kindof .. well .. very low quality ... ;) 

Pictures! I'd be interested to see, no matter what you think of quality :)

With the mind of the buzz around Physically-Based-Rendering in Unity 5 (See addon development section), I figured to try it out...

Clumsy first attempt, but it looks nice! :) 

f7f2fc193a.jpg

a6af3d2f85.jpg

a9f60556de.jpg

Edited by Beale

This is what I was talking about with the Angara 5 :

e19lxj.jpg

Note the red circles.
The only thing it's missing is a 1.875 nosecone (what you see in the pic is a VA capsule, a structural part, and a chute, subbing in for a nosecone) and an engine that 'fits' better, and is a little shorter. I've got some good visuals by clipping the SSME up into the fuel tanks but even then it comes out looking .. bulgy .. not sure how else to describe it.

15 minutes ago, Delta_8930 said:

The cinematic up front is undoubtedly the best cinematic I've ever seen.

What mods were used to make it?

I think the modlist he used is in the description of the video, but not sure. He has the crafts on KerbalX so you can see the mods needed there.

13 hours ago, tjsnh said:

This is what I was talking about with the Angara 5 :

Note the red circles.
The only thing it's missing is a 1.875 nosecone (what you see in the pic is a VA capsule, a structural part, and a chute, subbing in for a nosecone) and an engine that 'fits' better, and is a little shorter. I've got some good visuals by clipping the SSME up into the fuel tanks but even then it comes out looking .. bulgy .. not sure how else to describe it.

Nice!

Yes, 1.875m nose-cap (or structural piece) would be a good addition.

Engines, possibly :)

Toying with Unity 5 Rendering Part II.

a66b8aad09.jpg

b9a905a064.jpg

752f940439.jpg

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Nice!

Yes, 1.875m nose-cap (or structural piece) would be a good addition.

Engines, possibly :)

The lack of a nosecone is really the "big" hole, since the engines can be clipped up into the tanks to get a look that's at least half passable. Anything I could do to bribe for a nosecone, consider it done ;)

The 1.875 heatshield will be a godsend as well. I find 1.875 to be a convenient size for probe/skycrane type assemblies.

18 hours ago, Beale said:

With the mind of the buzz around Physically-Based-Rendering in Unity 5 (See addon development section), I figured to try it out...
Clumsy first attempt, but it looks nice! :) 

f7f2fc193a.jpga6af3d2f85.jpg

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Toying with Unity 5 Rendering Part II.

a66b8aad09.jpgb9a905a064.jpg752f940439.jpg

Holy smokes. This is incredible. How easy/hard is this to do? Did you have to bake new maps for things, or could you do most of this work in Unity 5?  

Edited by curtquarquesso

19 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

The lack of a nosecone is really the "big" hole, since the engines can be clipped up into the tanks to get a look that's at least half passable. Anything I could do to bribe for a nosecone, consider it done ;)

The 1.875 heatshield will be a godsend as well. I find 1.875 to be a convenient size for probe/skycrane type assemblies.

1.875m Nosecone for next release then! :) 

13 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Holy smokes. This is incredible. How easy/hard is this to do? Did you have to bake new maps for things, or could you do most of this work in Unity 5?  

Thanks buddy!

It's really easy to do also! Especially with how I have laid out my textures :) 
Though, yes you do need to create a normal-map.

1. copy panels layers, turn into greyscale heightmap.

7e7de81963.png

2. Turn that into a normal-map (I'm using NVIDIA Photoshop tools).

d2101047e9.png

3. Apply in Unity 5, play around with settings. I'm not an expert here, but it's fun to experiment.

d9a1e3a1e4.jpg

4. Play with lights for pretty screenshots.

9c45ec1941.jpg

Sadly the expense of the normal-map still exists, so I can't justify these textures... yet.

Edited by Beale

22 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

Both are in the works, assuming you want to use Contares.

Corresponding Engines for Angara with 1.875m URM are also in preparation.