[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

I decided sleep can wait :P

You're right, I somehow missed the license part of the OP. I've added the same to the readme in my zip file. Thanks for the offer of the files! I'm using paint.net, but it has a PSD importer so I should be able to read the files.

File is at https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=962FD212EEE06DAC!13864&authkey=!ALABh8KYqYLMl1k&ithint=file%2c.zip

I decided sleep can wait :P

You're right, I somehow missed the license part of the OP. I've added the same to the readme in my zip file. Thanks for the offer of the files! I'm using paint.net, but it has a PSD importer so I should be able to read the files.

File is at https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=962FD212EEE06DAC!13864&authkey=!ALABh8KYqYLMl1k&ithint=file%2c.zip

Great! I'll add this and new DR soon.

Now relax and sleep! Time is infinite.

Polaris Exterior is done now, with structural element for RCS.

1ebdc4d6ce.jpg

Too much Delta-V, it has as much as the real concept (3,000m/s) and I landed it on the Mun easily.

12ccb695ac.jpg

IVA

W.I.P. I plan to re-do most IVAs, so this one will "set the standard". The basic shell is done, but I will invest in a few more "props" to give the interior some character.

The inside is, understandably, very cramped.

7eea23c791.jpg

Great forward view!

ad2af728db.jpg

Edited by Beale

I see that you got a snoopy cap for your kerbals! nice!

those structural parts look amazing!

Haha yes!

Thankyou, they are basic, but get the job done.

Looks great! 3000m/s is definitely a bit too much for kerbal, ha ha. :)

Yeah :) Toned it down to around 1,000m/s, which seems okay. Being able to do a flyby of Jool with an Orbiter seemed over power.

Excitement continues!

Good to hear! :D

The Polaris release will unfortunately mean the start of a long-ish hiatus in work.

But it will come along with some other goodies (Texture improvements on Tantares, Redone Vega doors, better balancing), so hopefully it can keep people happy.

After this, don't expect anything until 0.24 has been out a while.

I know people have expressed excitement to TKS, but sadly it is not for some time. :(

I plan maybe a bit of rejuvenation of Soyuz and LK (as they are really focus of this pack.). This would mean new models:

A few higher polycount.

3b9bc288a6.jpg

Nothing decided yet, just an idea I throw around.

Edited by Beale

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear how thing are going. Thanks for all your work!

It's good that people enjoy it! I enjoy modding a lot.

not another gigapause to contend with :(

(reference you might not get, I won't judge you)

It has to be I'm afraid...

I'll be back!

But!

Tantares [2.0] is released!

Includes the Polaris + A few art improvements + Station Science + Balancing.

abacf65b83.jpg

7251f9e550.jpg

91c2485537.jpg

Enjoy!

d4d1f6f190.jpg3a07b010da.jpg

^ Literally some of the images I used for design references.

Edited by Beale

It's your mod, so you can obviously do whatever you want, but I'd really appreciate it if you did some work on the interiors of the current command pods before making more parts. Make the lit up buttons functional like they are in the stock command pods as well as the majority of modded ones. Another thing that would make your mod a million times better is integrating RasterPropMonitor screens into your IVA's. I like doing missions in IVA which is a lot easier and more fun with RPM.

I'm not sure how difficult what I'm asking is, I just wanted to give you some feedback from someone who really enjoys your parts, but doesn't really use them because of these minor things they are lacking.

It's your mod, so you can obviously do whatever you want, but I'd really appreciate it if you did some work on the interiors of the current command pods before making more parts. Make the lit up buttons functional like they are in the stock command pods as well as the majority of modded ones. Another thing that would make your mod a million times better is integrating RasterPropMonitor screens into your IVA's. I like doing missions in IVA which is a lot easier and more fun with RPM.

I'm not sure how difficult what I'm asking is, I just wanted to give you some feedback from someone who really enjoys your parts, but doesn't really use them because of these minor things they are lacking.

No no, I definitely agree with you! :)

Continuing on, it has become greatly apparent that the current IVAs are not up to scratch, even with the Stock ones (nevermind amazing mod ones, Spaceplane Plus has my jaw on the floor).

I've been playing around with RPM and... I'm converted, I love it. So expect that also.

(It will always be optional, I promise!)

So do not fear, think of current IVAs more like placeholder "convenient EVA buttons" (though hopefully Polaris is heading in the right direction?).

One thing, I did not know stock prop buttons had functions, can you give an example?

EDIT:

MFD Tantares docking with Vega

a69577d6f1.jpg

Edited by Beale

Hey Beale,

I saw on the first page that you posted a few edits that other people made of your work. I thought I'd do my own! Using rescaleFactor = 2, I scaled up the Tantares, Polaris, and Spica. This is in addition to changing the weight of the parts, and increasing the torque. It's a small change but if anyone wants it, it's available at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jfiz2pwxq9u96x/Tantares%20Rescale.rar

It's just the folder architecture and the .cfg files, so it can be dragged and dropped over a regular Tantares install. Kerbals and HGR for scale:

Dv5Uzce.png

UnjjU9J.png

Fuji rescale is really interesting!

uMQeByv.png

Edited by DGatsby

Using rescaleFactor = 2, I scaled up the Tantares, Polaris, and Spica.

Fuji rescale is really interesting!

I was thinking along the same lines. Admittedly, a big chunk of that is I want a 1.25M docking port on the end of that lovely Fuji/Polaris Orbital module.

Dgtasby, why'd you opt to only rescale the RCS struts by 1.5? Just curious.

Beale, I love the Fuji. The only part that bugs me a little is how flat the heat shield is. I tried using a tweaked SDHI heat shield to get a look similar to this:

http://www.shokabo.co.jp/author/8758/fujicapsuleC1.jpg

I think that's too much the other way (after all it's flatness is whats cool and defining about it...), but something in the middle might be nice? Just a thought.

http://imgur.com/zl4iIzQ

Dgtasby, why'd you opt to only rescale the RCS struts by 1.5? Just curious.

At full 2.0 scale the model covered up the bottom node, so you couldn't attach anything underneath. I'm a total scrub at modding, so I don't know how to move those nodes!

At full 2.0 scale the model covered up the bottom node, so you couldn't attach anything underneath. I'm a total scrub at modding, so I don't know how to move those nodes!

Weird - I had a little trouble with the nodes "migrating", but not enough to pose a real problem.

But, relatively easy fix, no modeling required - the nodes are in the cfg.

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2575, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2575, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

The second number describes the vertical distance, so find that in the part and raise it a bit, then test it in game. Probably a much easier way to do it but this is low-skill ha ha.

WOO! so excited about the fuji!

Hope to enjoy! :)

Hey Beale,

I saw on the first page that you posted a few edits that other people made of your work. I thought I'd do my own! Using rescaleFactor = 2, I scaled up the Tantares, Polaris, and Spica. This is in addition to changing the weight of the parts, and increasing the torque. It's a small change but if anyone wants it, it's available at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jfiz2pwxq9u96x/Tantares%20Rescale.rar

It's just the folder architecture and the .cfg files, so it can be dragged and dropped over a regular Tantares install. Kerbals and HGR for scale:

-snip-

Very nice! So these are scaled to 1.875m?

I will add a link, if you are happy with it (I see you have some trouble with the nodes, I would follow the recommendation of changing the configs).

Let me know :) .

-snip-

Beale, I love the Fuji. The only part that bugs me a little is how flat the heat shield is. I tried using a tweaked SDHI heat shield to get a look similar to this:

http://www.shokabo.co.jp/author/8758/fujicapsuleC1.jpg

I think that's too much the other way (after all it's flatness is whats cool and defining about it...), but something in the middle might be nice? Just a thought.

http://imgur.com/zl4iIzQ

Totally! It needs a decoupler / heatshield combo, like the real one. Check tonight :wink: !

These parts are so cool. It's a great compromise between real and KSP design.

Two suggestions:

-A more Apollo-like command module. The Mk1-2 is so ugly compared with this stuff.

-A 3.75m Skylab module

Take a look at Ledenko's Apollo Pod though that one isn't completely sotck-a-like either. Only downside of the Apollo for me is that there is no passive docking port for it. The custom docking port is of course kind of wobbly when conencted to an stock docking port .

Aside with the talking on another mod, I really like your work Beale and would welcome another stock-a-like apollo nonetheless

These parts are so cool. It's a great compromise between real and KSP design.

Two suggestions:

-A more Apollo-like command module. The Mk1-2 is so ugly compared with this stuff.

-A 3.75m Skylab module

Take a look at Ledenko's Apollo Pod though that one isn't completely sotck-a-like either. Only downside of the Apollo for me is that there is no passive docking port for it. The custom docking port is of course kind of wobbly when conencted to an stock docking port .

Aside with the talking on another mod, I really like your work Beale and would welcome another stock-a-like apollo nonetheless

Thanks for the feedback :)

I think I would suggest the Ledenko's Apollo pod also.

To be honest, the actual Apollo CSM (aside from the D2 concept and the like) doesn't interest me a lot.

Skylab might be fun, but like I say I want to do IVAs / TKS / MIR and stuff.

I'm making a simple heat shield to proper unify the Fuji look.

ce1c39f4cf.jpg

8a4a2b3bfe.jpg

Thanks for the feedback :)

I think I would suggest the Ledenko's Apollo pod also.

To be honest, the actual Apollo CSM (aside from the D2 concept and the like) doesn't interest me a lot.

Skylab might be fun, but like I say I want to do IVAs / TKS / MIR and stuff.

I'm making a simple heat shield to proper unify the Fuji look.

http://puu.sh/9QwLx/ce1c39f4cf.jpg

http://puu.sh/9QwMi/8a4a2b3bfe.jpg

You don't want to make at least a small passive apollo docking port for Ledenko's Apollo haha . He seems to be gone again after putting the newset update out but I really want to be able to dock this pod without it being wobbly xD

You don't want to make at least a small passive apollo docking port for Ledenko's Apollo haha . He seems to be gone again after putting the newset update out but I really want to be able to dock this pod without it being wobbly xD

Hmm, I plan a small docking port for Tantares / TKS, maybe this will suit you? Also as Darth Lazarus has mention, I believe FASA has some American style docking port (I've never tried it though, so no idea!).

Bae Caught Me Decouplin'

I add Polaris Heatshield, huge improvement! I'm uploading new release now!

It decouples anything below, but remains attached to pod!

101a050550.jpg6ac35382c5.jpg5b3fab758f.jpg3c0f358bc9.jpg

Accidentally uploaded version with raster prop monitors, wait a minute to fix! (Or grab it while you can!)

FIXED. I still include optional RPM in a sub-folder, if anyone wants. Beware it is very "Beta" and the screens are quite awkward (You can't click the lower row if you fully zoom in.).

Edited by Beale