[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

@Beale

While you're working on 3D models, there's one thing you may want to look at... the separator/parachute combo part is pretty hard to use in the VAB, because it's so thin that when I try to attach it to the top of the capsule, it quickly alternates between its top and bottom attachment nodes and half the time ends up embedded inside the top of the capsule. Is there anything you can do to make it easier to attach?

It's tricky, but unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done.

The parachute was made in double height, but still had same issue, it needs to be much taller to work without any issue :(

One solution is, place parachute anywhere as a "ghost" then grab it again by clicking the very top of the chute, this will let you position it with more room for error.

the rescale made by DGatsby that is supposed to change diameters to 1.875 changes them instead to 2m

http://i.imgur.com/EFB1Mxz.png

Ah I see, ok, for now I'll update the description on the main page.

I am totally out of ideas.

Does anyone have a clue what could cause this?

I could be way off here, but in my experience it has to do with the uppermost stage not containing the root part. I've observed this as a stock behavior when I built a craft with a lander, but I suppose you might see it in anything including fairings for the same reason. The game wants to keep focus on the root part of the craft - which is unfortunate if that part doesn't stay attached through the whole mission.

As to a solution, I wish I could help. I know nothing whatsoever about code.

Procedural parts mod. I think. I hadn't seen that they added life support but they have most everything else.

in order for the life support tanks to be present, you have to download and install the TAC life support mod. There are tons of other tank types that are hidden in the Procedural Parts mod, like cryogenic tanks for RF.

I could be way off here, but in my experience it has to do with the uppermost stage not containing the root part. I've observed this as a stock behavior when I built a craft with a lander, but I suppose you might see it in anything including fairings for the same reason. The game wants to keep focus on the root part of the craft - which is unfortunate if that part doesn't stay attached through the whole mission.

As to a solution, I wish I could help. I know nothing whatsoever about code.

Though this might be an issue, the root part for me is always the crew module, so really, I'm stumped.

It Lives

Though trying to debug the Spica has been a delay, at least the OM is done.

It almost looks the part now.

Compare to the old one! That phresh new Soyuz smell.

0780207f5c.jpg9ede879cdc.jpg7674785d2a.jpga895cce5f0.jpg85e7be036b.jpg

Not perfectly to scale here, they are more or less the exact same dimensions in reality.

a0d718018a.jpgdc34b02fe7.jpg

Edited by Beale

The older one is better, imho :)

You really think?

Could you elaborate a little bit? :)

I am really happy with the new design, leagues beyond the old one in my own opinion, but it is good to hear others.

Edit: 200 posts!

Here's some old shoddy unreleased models...

ca4b7508da.jpgf208489b7a.jpg35bbda94be.jpg

Edited by Beale

...I like this engine, actually, maybe you should finish it. :)

I did release it once! Very quietly on the modelling and texturing sub-forum...

Issue is the Cylinder for the clamp only has 20 faces, so it would need a complete makeover to fit in the standard 24 face cylinders (Mistakes of the past :( ).

Edit:

There also was my old VASIMR engine that I was fond of, but then Near Future Propulsion came around and it was history.

(It had something stupid like 300 thrust).

cf39040725.jpg0f2afcaae2.jpg

Edited by Beale

I am really happy with the new design, leagues beyond the old one in my own opinion, but it is good to hear others.

I like the new design especially the crew module (or decent module on the real Soyuz TMA) since it has more of a taper than the older one which I rather like. Good work as always!

Also, just out of curiosity is the new engine a single nozzle now or just a more compacted arrangement?

I like the new design especially the crew module (or decent module on the real Soyuz TMA) since it has more of a taper than the older one which I rather like. Good work as always!

Also, just out of curiosity is the new engine a single nozzle now or just a more compacted arrangement?

Hi! And Thanks!

The new design is a single nozzle, to fit better with reality (I think?).

Still a bit WIP, might add some RCS ports and stuff around the opening.

6b96fcdd9b.jpg

I prefer it over the old one, which I think looked a bit too much like the Shenzou's rather than Soyuz.

(And it was a leftover from the "Wow I just learned how to do shadows, lets go overboard with pipes" era).

6fd6845779.jpg

Also, the new design will fit better with Sayut (Though I imagine that would need a bit of a face-lift along with TKS).

f744ed083e.jpg

Edited by Beale

the real Soyuz TMA service module has a single nozzle engine with a hatch to cover it up until use. around of the mainengine nozzle are 4 RCS thrusters which are used for altitude and attidude controll AND backup engines for emergncy

was hard to research this ... the whole RCS layout of teh Soyuz is kinda ... tricky and more complex compared to others (like Apollo)

edit: the problem in KSP with RCS is, that nearly every nozzle for a translation in the same direction is firing and can't be grouped like teh real one's (group only for translation or rotation). i build a farly "simple" RCS layout based on the original for my stock Soyuz.

Edited by Darth Lazarus

the real Soyuz TMA service module has a single nozzle engine with a hatch to cover it up until use. around of the mainengine nozzle are 4 RCS thrusters which are used for altitude and attidude controll AND backup engines for emergncy

was hard to research this ... the whole RCS layout of teh Soyuz is kinda ... tricky and more complex compared to others (like Apollo)

Thanks!

It is really hard to get any high resolution pics of the engine! This is good info. I'll definitely add some RCS jets.

I wasn't aware the RCS thrusters could be used as backup engine (Neither was Sandra Bullock apparently :wink: ).

maybe you want to take a look at this site Beale: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz.html

i use it mainly for my research work about russiand rockets and spacecrafts for my stock versions. i got a lot of infos for my Proton, Soyuz rocekt, PPTS and Soyuz Spacecraft from there and the keywords for looking for more pictures on google (like enginenames etc.)

I wasn't aware the RCS thrusters could be used as backup engine (Neither was Sandra Bullock apparently :wink: ).

Haha! I forgot about that movie.

Moving on I found some info (not much) on the TMA spacecraft on the manufacturer's website which was surprisingly hard to navigate unless you go to the site map.

http://www.energia.ru/en/iss/soyuz-tma/soyuz-tma.html

Also some info on NASA's website.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/soyuz/index.html#.U7XZcPm0e6A

I tried going on the Russian Space Federation's website, but since I don't know much Russian anymore I couldn't navigate on there (so much for international cooperation :D).

Edited by Floki
More info

Though this might be an issue, the root part for me is always the crew module, so really, I'm stumped.

It Lives

Though trying to debug the Spica has been a delay, at least the OM is done.

It almost looks the part now.

Compare to the old one! That phresh new Soyuz smell.

Not perfectly to scale here, they are more or less the exact same dimensions in reality.

The new textures are better in subtle ways. The shading is nicer. Are the actual models different?

One solution is, place parachute anywhere as a "ghost" then grab it again by clicking the very top of the chute, this will let you position it with more room for error.

I see what you mean, I don't think I've tried that yet. I'll give it a try tonight, thanks!

Thank you Darth Lazarus and Floki for the links! They are helpful.

The new textures are better in subtle ways. The shading is nicer. Are the actual models different?

The models are totally re-done, notice thinner "sticky outy bits" on the top of the re-entry module, 3D cylinder windows, band around the OMS, etc.

Hello' date='i don't understand were i need to put the RPM file for the polaris.Can someone help?

Place the RPM internal.cfg in the Tantares/Spaces/Polaris_Crew_1_Interior folder :) .

Edited by Beale

Thank you' date='it works now.

You should write this in the read-me.[/quote']

Good to hear.

There shouldn't be a need in future, as IVAs will auto-switch depending on if you have RPM installed.