[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Stupid unfair 0.90 killing my Prosveshchenye-VII launcher :(

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Bloody hell, and I already had fantasies about transforming it from a pure LOX/LH2 launcher into a hydroflouric acid factory :( Imagine 7100 tons of highly poisonous goodness raining down on Siberia, China, and Kazakhstan! The beautiful destruction it would cause! Or a 1st stage failure! Heck a nominal launch would evaporate the launchpad!

*Returns to Mafia II, Matt Monro and Tennessee Ernie Ford to lift his frustrations*

-Salyut and the Soyuz OM if inhabited by the Brady Bunch... :P

To add to that, here's a great render done of the LK. I can't speak to it's accuracy, but it's impressive. There's a good chance you've already seen it, if so, this is for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Regarding the LK's EVA hatch, since you're not strictly sticking the the stock hatch design anymore, is there any chance you'll go for a more rounded hatch design for the LK, or are you trying to keep things simple and unified?

P.S: Here's a great forum post of a guy paper-modeling a 7K-LOK with an LK. May or may not be helpful, but still an interesting read.

This is really nice, thanks. The paper craft especially is a nice impression of a "Stylized" LK.

Regarding the hatch, still staying stockish for non-atmospheric capsules.

Ready to texture now, but it will be slow...

7bfe46a944.jpg

408509b3d5.jpg

You know I mentioned size would not be different.

Yeah, about that...

No, it is quite a bit bigger.

Still to scale, but actually it could easily be a two-seater... (no).

e5bfd2848b.jpg

15918a6c61.jpg

Ha! The last two images of the Interior of "the world" looks authentically. I was inside the station mockup in the Space Museum and it looks exactly, but interior at pictures and photos looks bigger than real. If I can find the pictures from there, then I'll post them.

Added later:I think, can't do that. Damned photogarbage:mad:

That's amazing! I've seen inside pictures of Salyut before, but it never looked so comfortable.

Stupid unfair 0.90 killing my Prosveshchenye-VII launcher :(

http://imgur.com/a/ODQ9s

Bloody hell, and I already had fantasies about transforming it from a pure LOX/LH2 launcher into a hydroflouric acid factory :( Imagine 7100 tons of highly poisonous goodness raining down on Siberia, China, and Kazakhstan! The beautiful destruction it would cause! Or a 1st stage failure! Heck a nominal launch would evaporate the launchpad!

*Returns to Mafia II, Matt Monro and Tennessee Ernie Ford to lift his frustrations*

I feel like this should be illegal.

But I like it.

Edited by Beale

Beale, you should do an FSTextureSwitch thing for the Soyuz parts so they can switch from green to grey whenever you want.

It's a horrible waste of memory, and adds dependencies.

If made optional it's a pain to keep up to date and the folder structure correct.

JohnWayne1930, Eagleshift did wonderful jobs maintaining the FS configs for the longest times, but it cannot be expected forever.

I'm "generic-ing" the folder structure, (I.E. textures will be named "LK_Texture_1 and so on, the N-1 folder is a current example of this), making texture swapping even easier in future.

Edited by Beale

Will your new LK still be a single-stage lander?

Yeah, you may remember the two-stager I was experimenting with a while back (which is still available on request). But, it wasn't quite "perfect" in its action.

dc9f506121.jpg

Besides, I can argue that single-stage landers are all good for KSP :)

Oh yeah, I do remember :D
The two stage LK is available by request? I need it.

Well, it's available here!

Staging the Block E frame will launch the LK upwards in a nice trajectory 99% of the time, 1% it gets stuck, which is why I was never happy with it.

But it looks cool.

@pTrevTrevs: Your name "easter-egg" is in the next update, I'll leave it for you to find it!

258dc6d62d.jpg

Edited by Beale

This is really nice, and I'm not usually so crazy about spaceplanes.

Is it basically an SSTO? Or does the plane make the final orbit.

The N1 Block A mess gets you to Apoapsis and can do about 1/2 the circularization burn - the rest is the "plane". I think it has a very Von Braun look to it myself.

Hmm, that rejected LK engine\fuel tank could be a very nice upper stage. Any chance that you'll recycle it in that capacity? It does bear some resemblance to Ikar and Volga upper stages:

Ikar:

ikar-1.jpg

ikar-2.jpg

Volga:

volga-3.jpg

volga-4.jpg

They are made by Progress especially for Soyuz rockets.

Love those RCS...

Nice!

Couple of things:

- You do not need additional solar panels when flying LK - its pod has a built-in RTG. You'll need additional batteries for some of DMagic experiments, though.

- If you're using KAS, then all stock, DMagic and AlbertKermin experiments can be stored inside the pod - with enough space left for a couple of batteries.

Yeah, you may remember the two-stager I was experimenting with a while back (which is still available on request). But, it wasn't quite "perfect" in its action.

http://puu.sh/ge2C0/dc9f506121.jpg

Besides, I can argue that single-stage landers are all good for KSP :)

I want a two stager because something is left over to remind me of the landing.

Well, it's available here!

Staging the Block E frame will launch the LK upwards in a nice trajectory 99% of the time, 1% it gets stuck, which is why I was never happy with it.

But it looks cool.

@pTrevTrevs: Your name "easter-egg" is in the next update, I'll leave it for you to find it!

http://puu.sh/ge5E8/258dc6d62d.jpg

Thanks for sharing it! Unfortunately the landing legs and structure are really buggy in 0.90, at least on my install, but the separation worked.

Would it be possible to make the Tantares LK more like an Apollo LEM? Have a base structure with legs and the descent engine, then a separate fuel tank with its own integrated engines nestled atop the structure rather than dangling through it. Both engines would be fed by the one fuel tank, assuming that's possible (I'll test it myself later). That could give you a two-stage lander without the frustrating issues with the more historically accurate system.

Or you could just make it single-stage :)

Nice!

Couple of things:

- You do not need additional solar panels when flying LK - its pod has a built-in RTG. You'll need additional batteries for some of DMagic experiments, though.

- If you're using KAS, then all stock, DMagic and AlbertKermin experiments can be stored inside the pod - with enough space left for a couple of batteries.

0BYIXI2.jpg

;)

I noticed the RTG afterwards

Edited by Flef

Slightly off-topic - but for those who have commented about wanting to leave a landing frame behind after an LK mission - you can do this without much trickery by building your own landing frame with in-game parts.

Download my craft file from this thread : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90080-Proc-Fairings-Only-Athena-Mun-Landing-With-Aegis-Lander (it's stock, except for procedural fairings) and examine how I build the lander. It works very LK-like , and leaves a frame behind on the Mun. It would be trivial to work up something similar with Beale's LK crew pod.

2kaWSLm.png

Edited by tjsnh

So... I was making RO and RF configs and couldn't stop! A little surprise for you (besides, Fobos, Fuji, old LK and everything that remained were made to finish the stuff)

EDIT: Cygnus and Fuji have mostly "placeholder" parameters due to lack of info about their propulsion systems. Have fun and be sure to report bugs!

Tantares

TantaresLV

Cygnus!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Niemand303

The N1 Block A mess gets you to Apoapsis and can do about 1/2 the circularization burn - the rest is the "plane". I think it has a very Von Braun look to it myself.

I agree the "chess" pattern on the V2 side tanks look great in it. :)

I should attempt this kind of thing!

Thanks to how much I use Tantares, I can't look at this shape and not think "Soyuz":

http://i.imgur.com/hi0sTQk.jpg

......mmmmmmmmm chocolate Soyuz......

http://i.imgur.com/1YAc24o.jpg

I want one!

Very interesting idea actually :)

I would need to modify the texture around, but it could be nice (and easier to model than Fregat).

Nice!

Well, it's odd looking, but I like that. :)

I want a two stager because something is left over to remind me of the landing.

Yep, this is the appeal for me, but it's a very tricky thing to accomplish with KSP's limitations.

Thanks for sharing it! Unfortunately the landing legs and structure are really buggy in 0.90, at least on my install, but the separation worked.

Would it be possible to make the Tantares LK more like an Apollo LEM? Have a base structure with legs and the descent engine, then a separate fuel tank with its own integrated engines nestled atop the structure rather than dangling through it. Both engines would be fed by the one fuel tank, assuming that's possible (I'll test it myself later). That could give you a two-stage lander without the frustrating issues with the more historically accurate system.

Or you could just make it single-stage :)

I kind of understand what you are saying here, but not quite :(

Would it be possible to "sketch it out"? It sounds quite an interesting concept.

Like this:

d5cdae7829.png

It's difficult to split, because of the Blok-D, the LK needs a lot less fuel for landing than it does for ascent.

Wow!

I really like the recoverable launcher!

Slightly off-topic - but for those who have commented about wanting to leave a landing frame behind after an LK mission - you can do this without much trickery by building your own landing frame with in-game parts.

Download my craft file from this thread : http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90080-Proc-Fairings-Only-Athena-Mun-Landing-With-Aegis-Lander (it's stock, except for procedural fairings) and examine how I build the lander. It works very LK-like , and leaves a frame behind on the Mun. It would be trivial to work up something similar with Beale's LK crew pod.

http://i.imgur.com/2kaWSLm.png

Real cool! I'll give it a try.

So... I was making RO and RF configs and couldn't stop! A little surprise for you (besides, Fobos, Fuji, old LK and everything that remained were made to finish the stuff)

EDIT: Cygnus and Fuji have mostly "placeholder" parameters due to lack of info about their propulsion systems. Have fun and be sure to report bugs!

Tantares

TantaresLV

Cygnus!

http://imgur.com/a/yKBdx

I was scratching my head on the launcher until realizing you had made the Cygnus full size!

Brilliant, many thanks :)

The LK is all UV-mapped, which is really complicated, it basically is greedy for its own 1024x1024 texture being such an odd shape. Well, might be able to fit the engine in leftover space.

aa44707f88.png

Edited by Beale

I was scratching my head on the launcher until realizing you had made the Cygnus full size!

Brilliant, many thanks :)

The LK is all UV-mapped, which is really complicated, it basically is greedy for its own 1024x1024 texture being such an odd shape. Well, might be able to fit the engine in leftover space.

http://puu.sh/gf6yx/aa44707f88.png

Thanks! Well, I want to say I've fixed a couple of things in the configs and now they are ready to go, in the best state they have ever been, covering 100% of parts, including Misc section!

Tantares

TantaresLV

LK: I think 1024x1024 would be still good, since you've saved lots of space on other textures. :)

Besides, there is still the Block D...

Thanks! Well, I want to say I've fixed a couple of things in the configs and now they are ready to go, in the best state they have ever been, covering 100% of parts, including Misc section!

Tantares

TantaresLV

LK: I think 1024x1024 would be still good, since you've saved lots of space on other textures. :)

Besides, there is still the Block D...

100% of parts!

Oh my god!

My dearest thanks, that's amazing! :)

LK: Yep, it must be done. What's nice, I think the Blok-D may manage a reasonably small texture if I have the correct plan.

Heavy WIP

582a4f82cd.jpg

d670a59cc2.jpg

It's greedy size.

69ec964ffa.jpg

I kind of understand what you are saying here, but not quite :(

Would it be possible to "sketch it out"? It sounds quite an interesting concept.

Like this:

http://puu.sh/gf6jQ/d5cdae7829.png

It's difficult to split, because of the Blok-D, the LK needs a lot less fuel for landing than it does for ascent.

No problem, my explanation was pretty convoluted.

Your diagram is close to what I imagined, but I wouldn't split the fuel tank in half. Instead I'd have all the fuel for ascent/descent in the upper stage, and just an engine in the bottom. Like this:

eNVaVsp.png

The LEM has no fuel in it at all- it's purely a structural piece here, holding on the legs and the descent engine (not visible from this angle).

I added a weak decoupler to the bottom of the fuel tank/engine piece so that it separated when staged:

uzsMaOl.png

Obviously I was using the offset widget to slot the upper stage into the lower but a proper LK would have a skeletal truss with a recess in the middle instead of the LEM.

I was waiting for the thing to explode when it staged... but I was pleasantly surprised!

jE375BA.png?1

The one problem I see with this is that the descent stage engine had to be shut down, so I could throttle up ready for separation. Obviously you can right-click and disable it but that's too fiddly and easy to forget.

I haven't thought of a solution to this yet... I'll get back to you if and when I do :D

EDIT: There's a simple solution, which is to incorporate an even weaker decoupler that separates the two stages before firing the ascent engine. It's not as smooth as a combined action but it's simpler.

Edited by Tapejara

No problem, my explanation was pretty convoluted.

Your diagram is close to what I imagined, but I wouldn't split the fuel tank in half. Instead I'd have all the fuel for ascent/descent in the upper stage, and just an engine in the bottom. Like this:

http://i.imgur.com/eNVaVsp.png

The LEM has no fuel in it at all- it's purely a structural piece here, holding on the legs and the descent engine (not visible from this angle).

I added a weak decoupler to the bottom of the fuel tank/engine piece so that it separated when staged:

http://i.imgur.com/uzsMaOl.png

Obviously I was using the offset widget to slot the upper stage into the lower but a proper LK would have a skeletal truss with a recess in the middle instead of the LEM.

I was waiting for the thing to explode when it staged... but I was pleasantly surprised!

http://i.imgur.com/jE375BA.png?1

The one problem I see with this is that the descent stage engine had to be shut down, so I could throttle up ready for separation. Obviously you can right-click and disable it but that's too fiddly and easy to forget.

I haven't thought of a solution to this yet... I'll get back to you if and when I do :D

Ah okay!

I understand now.

But, this is basically the same as the old LK two-stager I tried? Structural legs and separate fuel tank.

The main issue is the decoupling, most of the time it works without explosions, but then sometimes it just goes wrong. ;.;

Edit: Just noticed we are dangerously close to 500 pages!

Edited by Beale