[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On Tantares-Lite, I quite like the idea, but it will be difficult to narrow down the parts exactly.

My first thought would be only the R-7 and Soyuz alone, but then may want the Progress, then for Progress may want the station parts, then for station parts may want Proton, then...

It will spiral out of necessity quickly. :P

This is basically why I'd like to leave only non-existent in stock parts, like 1.25m 2-seater capsule of Soyuz, as well as spherical OM, the R-7 radial tanks and engine (1.25m for stock compatibility). N-1 tanks are also unique, being sort of "adapters" between different sizes. LK capsule can provide ~1.25m 2-seater landing solution, while also keeping good ol' Soviet style. 0.625 LES is versatile for both stock and custom pods, though TKS parts might not be that useful. Except, of course, big radial monoprop parts. In that way the parts will also keep their stockalike-ness (unlike Tantares SM having LFO, monoprop and an engine inside) while filling the gaps in stock. 1.875m parts would be also great, but I can see why they shouldn't get to the Tantares Light, the whole new size isn't that stock after all.

Anyway, it's you who will decide, just my two cents. :)

EDIT: you can make Salyut with stock parts (Mk1 lander as the middle section, Hitchiker as main segment and 1.25 fuselage as the docking section), so such redundant parts might not be needed. Proton can be made with new stock parts pretty easy and such. So, brief, TL will keep modularity AND low part count.

Edited by Niemand303

On Tantares-Lite, I quite like the idea, but it will be difficult to narrow down the parts exactly.

My first thought would be only the R-7 and Soyuz alone, but then may want the Progress, then for Progress may want the station parts, then for station parts may want Proton, then...

It will spiral out of necessity quickly. :P

I'd standby that for the initial version the cutting needs to be very liberal every part has to fill a functional niche that stock parts don't and keep out extra sizes, most of the combo parts that can be easily made by slapping enough stock parts together(with rare exceptions), and parts that exist for aesthetic reasons. I was planning to start assembling and playing with trimmed packs after I finished updating hermes, but don't anyone wait on me I'm a slowpoke.

but just off the top of my head going by folder...

Vostok: radial mini monoprop tanks, 1.25m monoprop engine, waykeeper radial lfo engines

Soyuz: 1.25m 2 kerbal command pod, 1.25m 1 kerbal orbital module (basically a crew can), 0.625m inline decoupler/parachute

TKS: radial monoprop engines, radiator/monoprop tanks (rare combo part exception), nose engine rescaled to 0.625m (and the top node removed because nothing would fit on top), cargo bay rescaled to 2.5m, inline decoupler/parachute rescaled to 1.25m

Fuji: 2.5m 2 kerbal command pod

LK: 1.25m 2 kerbal lander can

Cygnus: 2x1 panel sun tracking solar panels, 0.625m monoprop engine

Fobos: 0.625m inline monoprop tank

Everything else is either redundant with stock aside from looks, a special size and is also redundant when rescaled, or "I forget what is in this folder and I need to go eat breakfast soon..."

by the way I didn't even scratch TantaresLV

Just 1.875m parts could also make a good stand alone pack since like making a lite version finding and pulling them all in from all four corners of the main packs yourself is tedious and you are never sure if you got them all...

SQUEEEEEEE! :D

Edited by passinglurker

I thought you said you weren't interested in planes?

I feel a flashback coming on...

Though, I've been working on a Bell X-1 plane cockpit which may be a better fit.

beale?... making planes!?... AHHH its the end of days!!! D: (not a fan of lear jets I'm guessing?)
Oh you know it! :wink:
I thought you said you weren't interested in planes?

I feel a flashback coming on...

After Beale has given the ok for using his textures, I am working on a Texture Set for Procedural Parts.

Procedural Parts makes it possible so many gaps to be supplemented by meaningful parts.

Here some examples:

7UhYQAd.png4uWhdXo.png

Thank you Beale

Question for the gallery - am I the only one who has this thread bookmarked, and checks it for new Tantares releases almost every time I open my browser?

I used to check this thread every time I was online, but I've been missing a lot lately due to a more busy schedule.

After Beale has given the ok for using his textures, I am working on a Texture Set for Procedural Parts.

Procedural Parts makes it possible so many gaps to be supplemented by meaningful parts.

Here some examples:

http://i.imgur.com/7UhYQAd.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/4uWhdXo.png

Thank you Beale

I want it now.

Question for the gallery - am I the only one who has this thread bookmarked, and checks it for new Tantares releases almost every time I open my browser?

This thread is about the only reason I go on this forum anymore. Other than to search for download links for certain mods I use. I like watching mods develop, but Tantares is about the only one that's really fascinated me.

Here some examples:

Thank you Beale

That... Might actually get me to install procedural parts for more than 5 minutes for once... :D

Here some examples:

Thank you Beale

OMG yes that will look amazing :D :D

Hello!

The R-7 is quite close.

But, it will break existing Soyuz rockets, so you may want to hold off :)

(Then again if you are using the R7 Beta you will be safe from update).

Thanks for your answer. I am not in a hurry so I'll wait patiently until next update is available

I check it at least once a day to ensure I haven't missed anything interesting. I think I may have been doing that for most of the last year...my how time flies...

The R-7 is quite close.

But, it will break existing Soyuz rockets, so you may want to hold off :)

(Then again if you are using the R7 Beta you will be safe from update).

I combed through my craft files and removed any R7-derived boosters, leaving just the payloads. Then I installed the new R7 parts and rebuilt the first two stages as a subassembly. Made for a very orderly transition.

Loving the look of the X-1, Beale! I've been hoping for a chance at dancing with Glamorous Glennis, now I'll get my wish. :)

This thread is about the only reason I go on this forum anymore. Other than to search for download links for certain mods I use. I like watching mods develop, but Tantares is about the only one that's really fascinated me.

This thread is the only reason I made an account on the forums to begin with to be completely honest!