[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 15/03/2018 at 3:36 PM, ndiver said:

I can also help in this language :wink:

@Bealethe following question has possibly been already asked (but if yes, I did not found it) : do you plan to keep or remove the parts from Tantares that now have a stock equivalent (the Soyuz rocket, the Vostok / Voskhod spacecraft) ?

I uninstalled the expansion, not my cup of tea.

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

in other words..he's keeping his tantares stuff running.

Well, not exactly, development is stopped until the new modding tools are released.

If they are not released, I can't fix the problems and... Well, this mod is no more.

Edited by Beale

5 minutes ago, Beale said:

Well, not exactly, development is stopped until the new modding tools are released.

If they are not released, I can't fix the problems and... Well, this mod is no more.

Tantares is my number 1 part mod :( 

Out of curiosity, the new mod tools have to be released by Squad or Unity?

13 hours ago, Beale said:

@Beale I believe @Pak may have discovered a workaround solution. He mentioned it in his Shuttle thread. It may be worth a look if Squad takes their time releasing those tools.

15 hours ago, Beale said:

Thanks for the explanations concerning the future of Tantares.

As i'm not an expert in mods, what are the current modding tools, what are the expected changes, what is the current issue?

2 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

@Beale I believe @Pak may have discovered a workaround solution. He mentioned it in his Shuttle thread. It may be worth a look if Squad takes their time releasing those tools.

Thanks, yeah I have seen the workaround. I still would prefer to do this natively in Unity 2017 though.

23 minutes ago, ndiver said:

Thanks for the explanations concerning the future of Tantares.

As i'm not an expert in mods, what are the current modding tools, what are the expected changes, what is the current issue?

1.4+ has a new FX system, so the old FX I make for parts isn't working properly (Best example, the quite nice FX for the Kosmos 2nd stage is now really broken). Usually for a new unity version we will get the "part tools" to export 3D models for KSP. But, these were not released.

@Beale It would be a crying shame if you can't continue Tantares. It has been one of my must-have mods since you used to be a small smiling loaf of bread. :cool:  Fingers-crossed Squad releases the part tools you need.

Edited by Voidryder

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I believe they have confirmed the new part tools is being finalized.

pNTKGdq.jpg

We can only hope.

Unfortunately I am still having a lot of framerate / bugs problems in 1.4+ but, as a small positive here are new parts.

oLYfvmb.png

MntuKhJ.png
gLqpEJE.jpg
4dzyUhw.png
RKscaxj.png
RucUJtr.png

On 15/03/2018 at 12:48 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I doubt it, as they are not stock but part of a DLC.

And in any case tantares parts are better in any way than the new stock parts! 

Though I might add,  the new stock modules are simply some vostok-based capsules,  not included in tantares anymore.... didnt someone pick up the defunct tantares-vostok parts and release them as "vostok continued"  or something? It would be good to hear from him!

Edited by Daniel Prates

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

And in any case tantares parts are better in any way than the new stock parts! 

Though I might add,  the new stock modules are simply some vostok-based capsules,  not included in tantares anymore.... didnt someone pick up the defunct tantares-vostok parts and release them as "vostok continued"  or something? It would be good to hear from him!

Here it is my dude

On 18/03/2018 at 8:14 PM, Doc Shaftoe said:

Your work never ceases to amaze Beale.

Many thanks!

Basic shape + textures. Stock SSME stand in.

s1TVbpP.png

Comparison to old engine by our dear hoojiwana, left will get some similar details soon.

v8KnCPg.png

Edited by Beale

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about any in-depth comparisons to the new DLC parts (though I'm sure it's a big topic of discussion and I don't have time to go back and check--sorry!), but while they are nifty, I still think Tantares parts are better overall (the DLC didn't even include a Soyuz, what gives). I just wanted to point out a few neat features that I hope Tantares will adopt now that these parts are stock-ish.

• First of all the stock texture switch is incredible, and the orange/grey Russian colour scheme is nice.
  • The R-7 boosters include built-in separatrons--please add these, it makes Korolev crosses easy
  • Also, the new Vostok parts have a decoupler function built into them which includes an umbilical, which would be great on the Soyuz too. and landing jets

I'll edit in anything else if I think of it

9 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I'm not sure if anyone has talked about any in-depth comparisons to the new DLC parts (though I'm sure it's a big topic of discussion and I don't have time to go back and check--sorry!), but while they are nifty, I still think Tantares parts are better overall (the DLC didn't even include a Soyuz, what gives). I just wanted to point out a few neat features that I hope Tantares will adopt now that these parts are stock-ish.

• First of all the stock texture switch is incredible, and the orange/grey Russian colour scheme is nice.
  • The R-7 boosters include built-in separatrons--please add these, it makes Korolev crosses easy
  • Also, the new Vostok parts have a decoupler function built into them which includes an umbilical, which would be great on the Soyuz too. and landing jets

I'll edit in anything else if I think of it

Thanks for the feedback,

To your points:

• Texture switching is good, it's just unfortunate it has been implemented in a limited way, and it really prevents the viability of some of the ideas I had.
  • Built in separators are not really liked by many, as I have seen some pretty good spaceplanes from the R7 boosters. Separate are possible though.
  • Similar the umbilical is a little too specific for my tastes to be integrated into one part. It could be a separate procedural part. One of the goals stated by the DLC was to be 'Lego-like' and I think some parts really does not live up to that IMHO.
8 hours ago, Well said:

It's so pleasant to see energia parts again! looking good.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, demibear said:

With the new textures, is this mod going to re-use those or stick to your own?

What would you prefer?

Edited by Beale

49 minutes ago, Beale said:
  • Texture switching is good, it's just unfortunate it has been implemented in a limited way, and it really prevents the viability of some of the ideas I had.
  • Built in separators are not really liked by many, as I have seen some pretty good spaceplanes from the R7 boosters. Separate are possible though.
  • Similar the umbilical is a little too specific for my tastes to be integrated into one part. It could be a separate procedural part. One of the goals stated by the DLC was to be 'Lego-like' and I think some parts really does not live up to that IMHO.

Some more points:

• @Drakenex is currently experimenting with the new texture switching, so I'll have to ask him how it is.  I've been in a KSP slump as of late, and the quality of the DLC doesn't help, so I'm no help! :D I'm assuming you wanted mesh switching as well?  That would have been nice :(
  • Does the real R7 boosters have separator rockets?  I've done something like that with the stock sepratron rockets and got a decent cross, so I don't think you have to do anything Beale.  (Though having official Tantares side separators would be nice!)
  • Contares has an Umbilical, and a periscope as well.  While I know some people may be thinking "How dare you install Contares with Tantares!", the fact that Contares comes in different downloads now should really help people!

6 hours ago, Deltac said:

Contares has an Umbilical, and a periscope as well.  While I know some people may be thinking "How dare you install Contares with Tantares!", the fact that Contares comes in different downloads now should really help people!

The periacope would be so nice,  if IVAs had a meaning other than cosmetic purposes!  Or if you could use "hullcam" or "kurs docking cam"  or some other docking alignment mode from the periscope's perspective. But as it is,  its merely a cosmetic part. ... too bad btw.