[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

21 hours ago, NiL said:

Challenge accepted
A 0.625m (tweakscaled) science container capsule clipped into the stock docking port (not on the top node of the port itself) doesn't interfiere with it's functionality.  Decoupling is a little tricky - in the example flight it required the help of timewarp, but it's possible to just wobble it out, and with smaller colliders it would just come out. 
Tantares ports, of course, have a spike inside, which, I suggest, could be resolved by a new spikeless variant with a smaller internal collider, or maybe a spike could move out with an animation - ot it could be added to Raduga's decoupler and thrown out on decoupling like a fairing panel.
The capsule itself, may I suggest, could consist of 2 parts - a parachute with built-in decoupler and the capsule itself - and be in 0.625 or 0.312 m form-factor, having a functionality of a science container, probe core and a small supply of electricity, and, perhaps, a barometer and thermometer experiments. Perhaps, with added antennae and some more power it could be used as a drop-probe.

https://imgur.com/gallery/QBo5bYj

Many thanks for mocking this up, I'll think about it.

45 minutes ago, Kunosheru said:

i was sleeping awile aaaand want to give you these :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_3

and

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luna_9

I hope you were / will be interested :D

Very nice for stock recreations!

Luna engines both complete.

bxxyuud.jpeg

GitHub

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresSP

Unfortunately the rover platform might not quite fly in KSPs physics regime... It is very unstable, and difficult to even begin to drive down the ramp.
I'm still not sure exactly what can be done to fix this, outside of making it crazy heavy.

If so, it may not be included in the final release. Assistance (very) welcome!

There is also drop-tanks now.

uqn1lzb.jpegbikBRn6.jpeg

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

GitHub

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresSP

Unfortunately the rover platform might not quite fly in KSPs physics regime... It is very unstable, and difficult to even begin to drive down the ramp.
I'm still not sure exactly what can be done to fix this, outside of making it crazy heavy.

If so, it may not be included in the final release. Assistance (very) welcome!

There is also drop-tanks now.

uqn1lzb.jpegbikBRn6.jpeg

Here's my opinion:

While the difficulties with the ramp could be frustrating it would be better than not having the ramp and making The Emerald  fall a meter or two and probably tip it or break it (Iv tried it and it usually ends up crashing on the Mun)

Anyways that's just me Il happily delete this.

On 3/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, GuessingEveryDay said:

You can make it yourself, by using the experiment storage capsule, heat shield on the bottom, then using Luciole's inline parachute, and then sticking a docking port on top.

I tried doing this with tweakscale and whatnot, but I always had problems with it glitching out when trying to decouple a part inside another part.

I think the best way to design a new part would either be a Raguda part which looks like and functions as a docking port when attached, or a hollow docking port ring that you can put a Raguda in. It would be difficult without a hollow Progress part, so it starts to look like a lot of parts.

Maybe depending on how much people like the Luna return capsule would make it worth revisiting?

Just now, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

But I mean besides just roleplay, does anyone actually play on science mode and get use out of the science experiment features?

yeah me, I mostly play sandbox but I'm currently prepairing on multiple installs to play either career or sience

7 hours ago, Beale said:

How about cheating? Have a KAL-1000 controller and a mass-less, invisible hydraulic ram guide the rover down the ramp and release it just before the forward wheels leave the ramp. Then make the rover extremely slow (as it would have been IRL), so instability is less of an issue.

I have been having some issues with the docking ports in Tantares, the most recent ones fail to load in the textures.  Once I place them I can't pick them up or move them; and the only indication they are there is the shadow created by the cone on drouge ports.  The missing parts do not corrupt files but it means that making most craft is impossible.   Backverting the tantares install does not fix the issue.  

6 hours ago, Transformatron said:

I have been having some issues with the docking ports in Tantares, the most recent ones fail to load in the textures.  Once I place them I can't pick them up or move them; and the only indication they are there is the shadow created by the cone on drouge ports.  The missing parts do not corrupt files but it means that making most craft is impossible.   Backverting the tantares install does not fix the issue.  

Uh-oh, doesn't sound good. Could you confirm:

• Which version of KSP are you on
  • What Mods you have installed
  • Got any pictures?
9 hours ago, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

I tried doing this with tweakscale and whatnot, but I always had problems with it glitching out when trying to decouple a part inside another part.

I think the best way to design a new part would either be a Raguda part which looks like and functions as a docking port when attached, or a hollow docking port ring that you can put a Raguda in. It would be difficult without a hollow Progress part, so it starts to look like a lot of parts.

Maybe depending on how much people like the Luna return capsule would make it worth revisiting?

That will basically work, alternate hollow progress, decouple-able docking port, small raduga part.
Next time Progress is taken a look at I will consider that.

SVn3Dol.jpg

12 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Here's my opinion:

While the difficulties with the ramp could be frustrating it would be better than not having the ramp and making The Emerald  fall a meter or two and probably tip it or break it (Iv tried it and it usually ends up crashing on the Mun)

Anyways that's just me Il happily delete this.

6 hours ago, softweir said:

How about cheating? Have a KAL-1000 controller and a mass-less, invisible hydraulic ram guide the rover down the ramp and release it just before the forward wheels leave the ramp. Then make the rover extremely slow (as it would have been IRL), so instability is less of an issue.

Thank you for the input, I think thankfully it may be fixed... at the cost of making the platform 500kg, but I don't think there is much alternative.

HSZdFDc.jpeg

Lunokhod / Luna release is imminent,

• Landing leg rework (tripod)
  • Sample Arm
  • TV Camera
  • Parachute
  • Balancing

If you are using the preview version, please let me know any balancing thoughts beforehand, it is always appreciated.

Edited by Beale

@Beale

Ever considered make UR500 really Universal?

make separate core tank,  side tanks, and engines.

Not because build a more complicate UR500 is fun but for the first stage of UR500 is modified as third stage of UR700.

Then with RD-270, we can build UR700 use tantaras only!

UQ22vkM4JwUseYGLdoRiLBaa%2B%2BAI=&risl=&

Edited by Anachro

One more thing I noticed, although it isnt a bug, is that the Mira Docking Module seems too small when compared to the rest of the modules.  IRL its noticably larger than Pirs/Poisk, but its smaller in Tantares.  It isnt a big deal, but scaling up the module may make it look better.  

30 minutes ago, Anachro said:

@Beale

Ever considered make UR500 really Universal?

make separate core tank,  side tanks, and engines.

Not because build a more complicate UR500 is fun but for the first stage of UR500 is modified as third stage of UR700.

Then with RD-270, we can build UR700 use tantaras only!

UQ22vkM4JwUseYGLdoRiLBaa%2B%2BAI=&risl=&

I've considered it, maybe KSP2 will be the time for UR-700 and beyond. Maybe before then, hard to say.

7 minutes ago, Transformatron said:

One more thing I noticed, although it isnt a bug, is that the Mira Docking Module seems too small when compared to the rest of the modules.  IRL its noticably larger than Pirs/Poisk, but its smaller in Tantares.  It isnt a big deal, but scaling up the module may make it look better.  

Well I'll be damned huh, can't believe I never noticed that, Thanks.

Scaled correctly it should be more:

YyhRbWG.jpeg

@BealeI don't know for certain if this would function without attracting the attention of a certain tentacled entity, but would it be worth considering adding an adjustable mass function to the rover platform part's right-click menu? Something that players can set to the correct mass during flight, and then adjust to a stable heavier mass once landed on the surface of the Mun (or any other celestial body) so that the rover can be deployed properly.

16 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

without attracting the attention of a certain tentacled entity

It won't, that's how ballast mods work. A converter that turns some light resource into heavier resource. Or, in case of B9PartSwitch, just a PAW switch that changes mass. Looks like it's the best solution

Hi

I installed this mod, and have no idea where to find the Zarya parts for the ISS:huh:. I really want to build the ISS with this mod and @benjee10's incredible Habtech2 mod, but I can't find the parts :( .

pls help!:P

5 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Hi

I installed this mod, and have no idea where to find the Zarya parts for the ISS:huh:. I really want to build the ISS with this mod and @benjee10's incredible Habtech2 mod, but I can't find the parts :( .

IIRC, all Beale's parts are tagged with the relevant RL craft names. So once inside the VAB,  do a search for "Zarya" and KSP ought to list the relevant parts.

Have fun!

11 hours ago, SpaceX_Boi said:

Hi

Unfortunately I did not tag parts with ISS names, but if you search "Mir",  "FGB", etc. You will get all the parts you need.

I will include ISS tags in the next update.

13 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

@BealeI don't know for certain if this would function without attracting the attention of a certain tentacled entity, but would it be worth considering adding an adjustable mass function to the rover platform part's right-click menu? Something that players can set to the correct mass during flight, and then adjust to a stable heavier mass once landed on the surface of the Mun (or any other celestial body) so that the rover can be deployed properly.

Unfortunately after a bit more testing it might not be entirely mass causing issues (though it is a big factor). It might be needed to make the centre of the ramp "filled in" rather than two rails like IRL.

YtFO116.jpg

Landing leg is now fully supported, you can have it fold up, or fold down when stowed:

3ipI66s.jpeg
0aBrsup.jpeg

10 hours ago, softweir said:

do a search for "Zarya"

Nope, I already did that and nothing would show up :(

5 hours ago, Beale said:

Unfortunately I did not tag parts with ISS names, but if you search "Mir",  "FGB", etc. You will get all the parts you need.

I will include ISS tags in the next update.

Ok, thx :D!

5 hours ago, Beale said:

Unfortunately after a bit more testing it might not be entirely mass causing issues (though it is a big factor). It might be needed to make the centre of the ramp "filled in" rather than two rails like IRL.

YtFO116.jpg

would it be possible to make a kind of invisible section in the middle that you can't see but it has colliders?

5 hours ago, Beale said:

It's worth a try.  However, I did a flip with Lunakhod last night and landed perfectly, and that was really neat.  :cool: