[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

On 3/26/2021 at 10:30 AM, Beale said:

This is just me having the English language skills of a five year old, :wink: fixed for next release, thankyou for spotting.

This is AWESOME huge thanks to you, and the captions are very helpful!

Yeah there are certain craft that blur the line for definite.

As a general rule, TantaresSP (Space Probes) is only going to feature spacecraft that go beyond Earth orbit (this is up for debate, but that's at least how I've been categorising it so far).
This is why you still got stuff like Progress and Meteor in regular Tantares, since they are Earth Orbit.

True enough though, one mod is very large.
I think if I could freely split them up (This isn't likely, because I really would need an experienced second pair of hands to help with all the config-heavy legwork):

• Mod for Soyuz, LK, Vostok (primarily crewed spacecraft?)
  • Mod for orbital stations (this would cover a lot, from TKS, Almaz, to Mir, maybe even Polyus related parts, just large construction).
  • Mod for uncrewed spacecraft for Earth orbit
  • Mod for space probes (hey, we have this one! :))

But this is just a loose idea, I think the actual job of splitting things up would get extremely messy fast.

Polyus SAF Fairing

pol.png?width=1440&height=474

Did you know this was also used to launch Zarya, and other FGB modules?

Proton_rocket_pillars.png?width=925&height=610

Huh, funny you should mention that Beale.    Just tried to launch Zarya 3 times with a full up Proton K.    Failed to orbit all 3 times (seeking a 500km orbit in JNSQ.)    Brought me here to ask, is Tantarus LV balanced for stock KSP or 2.5/2.7x scale?

With the Zarya, I am only showing 6800m/s D/V in both Kerbal Engineer and Mechjeb.    This is on 1.11.2 with JNSQ.    I have used Energia to launch SOCK Shuttle with minimal issues.... mostly related to the Shuttle having 3 RS25 engines on it :D

Trying to build an Alternative ISS in my current playthrough.   I haven't used the Tantares LVs in a while so I had to ask.  I can post photos  latter (Imgur as well as a few other file hosting sites I use are all "experiencing difficulties" ATM.)

On 5/30/2014 at 11:12 PM, Beale said:

What's the balancing like?
Parts are balanced against vanilla KSP parts to not be intentionally uselesss, this means the launch vehicles with accurate to RL proportions might seem pretty powerful, a Soyuz putting 14 tons into LKO, etc. Really the best solution for this is to use a 2.5x~ system rescale, JNSQ, or just enjoy the big payloads.

though idk if its specifically 2.5 or JNSQ

4 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

though idk if its specifically 2.5 or JNSQ

Works equally well in both. JNSQ or 2.7x is slightly more realistic, 2.5x is close enough for real-ish rocket performance.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

Yeah,  It appears that the KSP 1.11.x Forced mass "Bug" is adding a lot of mass to the Zarya module, as well as the other station parts.    

IRL Zarya is 19,000kg.  In KSP (at-least my install) it is 16,800kg.   If I am doing the math correct it should be about 7800kg, empty mass.   Full up mass would be about 9500kg based on : 19,323+ 3800kg fuel

Edited by Pappystein

Now I have not seen anything related to my question which is why I am posting it although it may have very well been already answered and I may just be that ignorant.  Still, I would like to now if it is normal that the small fuel tanks (for the Andromeda/Vostok capsule) are not linked in any way to the  S5.4 "Fjellgeit" engine, therefore said engine is unusable. I'm on the 1.10.1 version by the way.

Edited by Omberyou

16 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Yeah,  It appears that the KSP 1.11.x Forced mass "Bug" is adding a lot of mass to the Zarya module, as well as the other station parts.    

IRL Zarya is 19,000kg.  In KSP (at-least my install) it is 16,800kg.   If I am doing the math correct it should be about 7800kg, empty mass.   Full up mass would be about 9500kg based on : 19,323+ 3800kg fuel

I think if you are upgrading to 1.11.2 this mass bug is fixed.

16 hours ago, Omberyou said:

Now I have not seen anything related to my question which is why I am posting it although it may have very well been already answered and I may just be that ignorant.  Still, I would like to now if it is normal that the small fuel tanks (for the Andromeda/Vostok capsule) are not linked in any way to the  S5.4 "Fjellgeit" engine, therefore said engine is unusable. I'm on the 1.10.1 version by the way.

There should be fuel tanks of both types, I think Vostok needs Liquid Fuel - Oxidizer?

GitHub

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

https://github.com/Tantares/TantaresSAF

Taking a break for a little while.

SLcVzbO.jpg?width=1217&height=610
aCLpwqE.jpg?width=935&height=610

screenshot692.png?width=1084&height=610
screenshot707.png?width=1084&height=610
screenshot716.png?width=1084&height=610
screenshot733.png?width=1084&height=610

53 minutes ago, Beale said:

There should be fuel tanks of both types, I think Vostok needs Liquid Fuel - Oxidizer?

I do have the tanks and the fuel and oxidizer is in them too rather than that when I put them on the andromeda decoupler like they are put on the wiki (Friznit's unofficial Tantares wiki) the fuel cannot go to the S5.4  engine. Do I need to put them directly on the engine or are they supposed to work fine on the decoupler?

57 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

whats the thing under the battery?

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like a part from a mod that lets you control the rover how they do IRL. Like it will go around on its own while you do other things.  

If I am right, I believe this is the mod: 

Edited by NateDaBeast

6 minutes ago, NateDaBeast said:

If I'm not mistaken, it looks like a part from a mod that lets you control the rover how they do IRL. Like it will go around on its own while you do other things.  

If I am right, I believe this is the mod: 

I mean the ''hollow antenna looking thing'' (I forgot the english word for it)

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

whats the thing under the battery?

I believe that is a spiral antenna - it's more omnidirectional than a parabolic antenna, so it needs to be aimed less precisely, but at the expense of low bandwidth. NASA used similar, although conical, low-bandwidth antennae on the Apollo CSMs alongside the high-bandwidth parabolic antennae.

(I may be mistaken.)

20 minutes ago, softweir said:

I believe that is a spiral antenna - it's more omnidirectional than a parabolic antenna, so it needs to be aimed less precisely, but at the expense of low bandwidth. NASA used similar, although conical, low-bandwidth antennae on the Apollo CSMs alongside the high-bandwidth parabolic antennae.

(I may be mistaken.)

I mean the thing between the spiral antenna and control thing, it's like a small metal fence 

5 hours ago, Beale said:

I think if you are upgrading to 1.11.2 this mass bug is fixed.

Sadly, I am on 1.11.2   All the did to "fix" the bug is lower how much mass it adds to the part.   But it does still add mass if the part is "below minimum mass" however.   :(

I will have to use something other than Proton K (or up-rate the Proton K) to support my new ISS build.

3 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Sadly, I am on 1.11.2   All the did to "fix" the bug is lower how much mass it adds to the part.   But it does still add mass if the part is "below minimum mass" however.   :(

I will have to use something other than Proton K (or up-rate the Proton K) to support my new ISS build.

You can try to lower the "added mass" even further by editing partRBMassMin (I think that was it?) in Physics.cfg to something like 1 milligram. There may be bugs, though.

Here are some photos of my failed Zarya attempts:

If anyone sees anything wrong that I have done, please let me know! 

And no, please don't complain about the BDB Saturn LAunch clamps... was the first launch clamp I saw when I was lookin for em :D

Spoiler

Here is a photo of my third failed launch (everything LOOKS good but isn't)

8GCU7rQ.jpg

And here is a VAB view including both MechJeb and KerbalEngineerRedux showing:

WOcBOHk.jpg

As you can see in the 2nd image the Zarya stage is almost 17,000 kg .

8 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

wait what zarya launched with a Block D?! for me the proton variants are even worse than the atlas or the thor ones

Because Zarya was launched on a Proton K rocket... 4th stage is Blok D... or am I further miss-understanding the Proton Rockets.   I am pretty knowledgeable about US rockets...  Soviet/Ukrainian/Russian...   Not so much.

*** Edited***  

A) I was wrong,   Proton K almost exclusively flew with Blok D... Unless launching space station parts :D  Whoops!

B) downloaded Tantares manually (was using CKAN)   Completely different number of MM patches applied (lower.)    Will know in 4 minutes

Edited by Pappystein

Ok going to retract all my statements about being overweight....    I manually downloaded and now Zarya is just slightly heavier than I expected...      I have stayed away from CKAN for years...   For just this reason.   CKAN version of Zarya is 16000+kg and the direct Github download is ~9100kg.    Re downloading ALL of Tantares.

Thanks @Beale and forum for your help!

While not quite correct (I like a longer neck and added a single docking port) The mass looks sooo much better...

xOB1tBM.jpg

Edited by Pappystein

Famous Capt.David (the best known expert in Almaz/TKS) several years ago had published some exclusive photos in his flickr.
(Btw pay attention to the life-support strap-on compartment of VA on some photos. In the stock KSP it's an equivalent of decouplable battery, powering VA after separation from FGB for ~3 hours)
A lot of LK also there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9420712@N03/

Also many unique pictures of abandoned Proton/Almaz-related projects are contained in this book
https://www.amazon.com/Proton-Launcher-History-Developments-Technology/dp/1786301768

(obviously, I can't give a link to its online copy)

Heavy Industrial Module (TMP) popular description.
(A crewless/visitable orbital station for crystal production).
http://epizodsspace.airbase.ru/bibl/ziv/1992/2/sal.html
(Google can't translate it properly, so you can watch pix or use some another online translator).

Individual rescue heatshield project (with pictures), tested irl in 2000.
http://epizodsspace.airbase.ru/bibl/tehnika_-_molodyoji/2003/1/00_30-33.html

Edited by kerbiloid