[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2 hours ago, Dev_135 said:

Ayo beale! Possibly get an orlan suit or the new russian capsule soon?

should already be in game

IVAs and visual part tweaks

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

FGB update is getting a little closer to completion, though there is still a decent amount to do after that.

New great box props again from @Well

screenshot1014.png?width=1072&height=603
screenshot1016.png?width=1072&height=603
screenshot1015.png?width=1072&height=603

Edited by Beale

SkV63g.png

I noticed that the Vostok capsule and upper stage doesn't seem to line up with the decoupler I should be using for the rest of the rocket (the size 1.5 parts / the bottom decoupler). Am I doing something wrong?

1 hour ago, adsuri said:

SkV63g.png

I noticed that the Vostok capsule and upper stage doesn't seem to line up with the decoupler I should be using for the rest of the rocket (the size 1.5 parts / the bottom decoupler). Am I doing something wrong?

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-Tantares-Wiki/wiki/Vostok

read the stuff on the lower part of the article

14 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-Tantares-Wiki/wiki/Vostok

read the stuff on the lower part of the article

@adsuriThe optional patch referenced in the article is accidentally omitted in current versions of TantaresLV (though it is due to be added back soon according to Beale). You can recover the patch from one of the KSP 1.8 versions of Tantares and put it in the correct folder in your install manually, though you'll need to do a quick find & replace to change the "Parts" folder to "parts" instead, as for some reason the capitalization is different in newer mod versions. Once that's done though it works just fine.

Additionally, I'd recommend using Universal Storage 2 for the Vostok spacecraft instead of the tanks from Tantares, as the US2 parts both look better and are correctly scaled for the 1.5m diameter.

Edited by septemberWaves

Playing around with the current dev release on Github, and the VA capsule has a tendency to burn up on re-entry in JNSQ (I'm using the most recent dev release from Github of JNSQ as well).  I decided to take a look at the configs.... you might want to clean up your configs mister!  The VA capsule, it's heat shield and even the Soyuz capsule have some repeated lines, like MaxTemp is in there twice!

Also it might be a good idea to look at the BDB Apollo capsule and heat shield to get better configs for the VA.  I commented out a few lines that weren't in the Apollo capsule config, and I think added maybe 1 line, and the VA behaves better.

I keep forgetting you guys use the Github issues function.  Already known!

Edited by MashAndBangers

On 6/14/2021 at 6:22 PM, MashAndBangers said:

Playing around with the current dev release on Github, and the VA capsule has a tendency to burn up on re-entry in JNSQ (I'm using the most recent dev release from Github of JNSQ as well).  I decided to take a look at the configs.... you might want to clean up your configs mister!  The VA capsule, it's heat shield and even the Soyuz capsule have some repeated lines, like MaxTemp is in there twice!

Also it might be a good idea to look at the BDB Apollo capsule and heat shield to get better configs for the VA.  I commented out a few lines that weren't in the Apollo capsule config, and I think added maybe 1 line, and the VA behaves better.

I keep forgetting you guys use the Github issues function.  Already known!

About to close that one out hopefully, the ablator  is buffed to 500, and some of the naughty extra config lines have been CUT.

GitHub

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

Getting closer and closer still.

• General balance, config, localisation, tech tree, cost cleanups.
  • Additional colours for parts.
  • Snrub

screenshot71.png?width=1072&height=603
screenshot68.png?width=1072&height=603
3kjplg2.jpeg
xqbFusv.jpeg
bgk2BdL.jpeg (updated to new style of fabric)

On the IVA side, we have even more beautiful goodies, again from @Well !
It will be possible to run your own concert in space.

screen_2560x1440_2021-06-16_17-00-11.png?width=647&height=603
screen_2560x1440_2021-06-15_17-01-43.png
oMEF8fa.jpg?width=968&height=603

moon_pano.gifp1.gifp2.gif

Edited by Beale

Did some testing and these changes help the VA survive re-entry, though the heat gauge pops up warning of intense heat.

breakingTorque = 500
	breakingForce = 500
	maxTemp             = 2000
	skinbreakingTorque = 500
	//breakingForce = 500
	//maxTemp         = 2000
	//heatConductivity    = 0.1
	//thermalMassModifier = 1.0
	skinMaxTemp = 2400

And the Heatshield, I commented out these lines:

Still not the best since the capsule gets hot, but now it doesn't melt.  BDB Apollo has this module:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConductionMultiplier
		modifiedConductionFactor = 0.003
		convectionFluxThreshold = 3000
	}

I added that to the VA capsule, and didn't see a change, but this was on a craft already in orbit so I don't know if the module actually loaded.  Will have to try from a fresh out of the VAB craft later.

2 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

VA capsule stuff

FWIW, I've never had any issues with the Tantares VA capsule surviving re-entry. My standard re-entry profile of getting aps to about 30km works like a charm. At peak heat, the parachutes get a bit close to toasty but the capsule is still fine.

(Not for nothing - this re-entry profile seems to be a "sweet spot" and works safely for just about every capsule/heatshield from every modpack I've tried, as well as the stock parts)

gcjjsXy.png

Edited by tjsnh

22 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Did some testing and these changes help the VA survive re-entry, though the heat gauge pops up warning of intense heat.

breakingTorque = 500
	breakingForce = 500
	maxTemp             = 2000
	skinbreakingTorque = 500
	//breakingForce = 500
	//maxTemp         = 2000
	skinMaxTemp = 2400

And the Heatshield, I commented out these lines:

Still not the best since the capsule gets hot, but now it doesn't melt.  BDB Apollo has this module:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleConductionMultiplier
		modifiedConductionFactor = 0.003
		convectionFluxThreshold = 3000
	}

I added that to the VA capsule, and didn't see a change, but this was on a craft already in orbit so I don't know if the module actually loaded.  Will have to try from a fresh out of the VAB craft later.

19 hours ago, tjsnh said:

FWIW, I've never had any issues with the Tantares VA capsule surviving re-entry. My standard re-entry profile of getting aps to about 30km works like a charm. At peak heat, the parachutes get a bit close to toasty but the capsule is still fine.

(Not for nothing - this re-entry profile seems to be a "sweet spot" and works safely for just about every capsule/heatshield from every modpack I've tried, as well as the stock parts)

Thanks for testing and the default feedback - I will tweak further.

Just so I have my facts all together - @MashAndBangers you are playing in 2.5x scale system / jnsq yeah? Faster re-entry speeds?

In other news...

The illustrious and decorated @benjee10 has put together some incredible revamps for the SSVP ports, with beautiful new details, a specular coat of paint, and a beautifully modelled probe and drogue.
Send him your best and check out his mods! (As if you hadn't already...)

docking.gif?width=603&height=603
5LgBCvm.jpeg
Ur2JFjj.jpeg

In other-er news...

Salyut-7 little touch up to use the new fabric, and the igla is revamped, so many options!

pP52eg2.jpeg
oEjT2uM.jpeg
cvuwUkp.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Beale said:

Thanks for testing and the default feedback - I will tweak further.

Just so I have my facts all together - @MashAndBangers you are playing in 2.5x scale system / jnsq yeah? Faster re-entry speeds?

In other news...

The illustrious and decorated @benjee10 has put together some incredible revamps for the SSVP ports, with beautiful new details, a specular coat of paint, and a beautifully modelled probe and drogue.

docking.gif?width=603&height=603
5LgBCvm.jpeg
Ur2JFjj.jpeg

In other-er news...

Salyut-7 little touch up to use the new fabric, and the igla is revamped, so many options!

pP52eg2.jpeg
oEjT2uM.jpeg
cvuwUkp.jpeg

The new docking ports and fabrics are amazing. Thanks @benjee10 and @Beale:D

Edited by rettter3

40 minutes ago, Beale said:

you are playing in 2.5x scale system / jnsq yeah? Faster re-entry speeds?

Yeppers.  I'm starting at an orbit of 150km.

The illustrious and decorated @benjee10

While we're playing, Benjee10 is building.  Thank you Benjee10!

cvuwUkp.jpeg

AAAAAAAAAAAH

Edited by MashAndBangers

On 6/24/2021 at 2:08 PM, Beale said:

In other news...

docking.gif?width=603&height=6035LgBCvm.jpegUr2JFjj.jpeg

How do these ports just keep getting better and better with each iteration? Incredible work @benjee10
Any thought given to they Hybrid SSVP/APAS ports? I know it's a minor geometry change, but we're all still sticklers for accuracy last I checked. :wink:

On 6/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, CardZLol said:

For some reason all deprecated parts still show up in the VAB.
Any way to remove those? It clutters the VAB a lot.
Other than that, its an amazing mod, i can not play without it anymore. Good work.

Are you using the WIP version from GitHub maybe? Official releases should not have deprecated parts installed - I recommend a clean install.

2 hours ago, Jhorriga said:

I'm trying to get the N1 parts from before the revamp to get one of my old craft files to work, how would I go about bringing them over into the latest version?

Copy paste the folder "N1" , then in the config files - you will need to make sure the paths pointing to the models are correct.

TantaresSAF Version 1.0

This took a while, but this mod is finally no longer a weird secret download.
Should be available on CKAN soon.

TantaresSAF - GitHub
(Simple Adjustable Fairings)

To use these, you need Simple Adjustable Fairings!

ivpBfyN.jpg
VNt4zmj.jpg
OVOur2w.jpeg

Edited by Beale

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Are you using the WIP version from GitHub maybe? Official releases should not have deprecated parts installed - I recommend a clean install.

Copy paste the folder "N1" , then in the config files - you will need to make sure the paths pointing to the models are correct.

TantaresSAF Version 1.0

This took a while, but this mod is finally no longer a weird secret download.
Should be available on CKAN soon.

TantaresSAF - GitHub
(Simple Adjustable Fairings)

To use these, you need Simple Adjustable Fairings!

ivpBfyN.jpg
VNt4zmj.jpg
OVOur2w.jpeg

Oh, i was using the WIP versions. I didnt know those kept deprecated parts.

Guess i'll keep them until the next official release, i dont care that much, i just want the amazing improved FGB parts 

Those SAF parts look beautiful, BTW