[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

This didn't take long...

Benefits of texturing a simple shape I suppose.

The metal is now omni-directional heatshield, with a "shock-plate" on the bottom (Yeah, this is totally made-up).

http://puu.sh/gEuF0/2ef3f67ad6.jpg

http://puu.sh/gEuGD/70f61f14fe.jpg

http://puu.sh/gEuHD/f60989615b.jpg

Part welders!

Make this, the хûõñ úþÑÂüøчõÑÂúøù úþрðñûь...

http://puu.sh/gEuZY/71ef1a590c.jpg

Looks great! Could you go into more detail on the "shock-plate?" I don't know quite what that means. I really like the smooth rounded bottom of the current Vostok. Any chance we could get a vaguely honeycombed heat shield pattern towards the bottom of the capsule? It'd make it really unique and authentic, just to harken back to the actual capsule. Even if the heat shield is technically omni-directional, it'd still be nice to visually be able to distinguish the top an the bottom.

Additionally, I really do prefer the current round hatch. I feel the square one looks to similar too the Soyuz OM.

Edited by curtquarquesso

Looks cool! Will you make a spherical probe core like you wanted before? ;)

Thanks!

Yep, this model is set up well for conversion to Zenit!

Looks great! Could you go into more detail on the "shock-plate?" I don't know quite what that means. I really like the smooth rounded bottom of the current Vostok. Any chance we could get a vaguely honeycombed heat shield pattern towards the bottom of the capsule? It'd make it really unique and authentic, just to harken back to the actual capsule. Even if the heat shield is technically omni-directional, it'd still be nice to visually be able to distinguish the top an the bottom.

Additionally, I really do prefer the current round hatch. I feel the square one looks to similar too the Soyuz OM.

Shock-plate, absolute pseudo-science made up thing. It's a big flat plate that takes the brunt of the shock heating.

I guess I can smooth out the bottom a little...

Interesting idea, I do quite like it.

91d8f776b2.jpg

The hatch, I appreciate that, but I think it just looks awful from certain angles. The distortion is really severe when drawing a circle over separate faces.

Not that I'm against a circular hatch if someone can suggest a way around this.

a55170a521.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a comparison shot of both, hopefully to give a better idea.

b89ecef7be.jpg

14cfbf52a5.jpg

Thanks!

Yep, this model is set up well for conversion to Zenit!

Shock-plate, absolute pseudo-science made up thing. It's a big flat plate that takes the brunt of the shock heating.

I guess I can smooth out the bottom a little...

Interesting idea, I do quite like it.

http://puu.sh/gEwPN/91d8f776b2.jpg

The hatch, I appreciate that, but I think it just looks awful from certain angles. The distortion is really severe when drawing a circle over separate faces.

Not that I'm against a circular hatch if someone can suggest a way around this.

http://puu.sh/gEx9s/a55170a521.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a comparison shot of both, hopefully to give a better idea.

http://puu.sh/gExf5/b89ecef7be.jpg

http://puu.sh/gExjh/14cfbf52a5.jpg

Ooooh, wow, I see what you mean by the hatch distortion. That is pretty severe. Good move then on the square hatch. I take it that even if you increased the number of vertices on the sphere, there would still be noticeable distortion?

The honeycomb pattern looks really unique! I'd love to see that refined. Even if you don't end up using it, it'd make for a great alternate texture one day.

In off-topic news, Lockheed unveiled their proposal for an ultra-capable, semi-reuseable station servicing vehicle. It's really neat. http://spaceflightnow.com/2015/03/17/lockheed-martin-throws-its-hat-into-iss-cargo-competition/

It basically keeps the service module in orbit for long durations, and it picks up launched pressurized modules launched via Atlas V and brings them to the station. It's compared to a locomotive with interchangeable disposable cars.

It looks great!

Did it make it to orbit this time?

Wow, those minihexes are cute. Can you make them all over the capsule?
Oh Yes!

That would look awesome!

Thanks!

I'll see what can be done. There's a slight variance in texel density across the different 'panels', so not so easy to make things line up.

In-game

b1e2037faa.jpg

Stuff

f676ba9a27.jpg

Lights

1e946fad7e.jpg

My favourite part, the door mechanism

fff87326b2.jpg

Yeah, I hate every other Vostok part, they're horrible. Will revamp all the other parts after PPTS.

fad335239d.jpg

It might be nostalgia, but I'm starting to feel sad about the loss of the original parts I fell in love with...

:(

I'll have a go at using the new tantares +KAS support with my old save game and let you know the results. I only recently added KAS and find it to be AWESOME. I expanded support to let me remove and reinstall your solar panels so I could shuffle the panels around my MIR somewhat like they did in real life! And, I placed a winch on the end of my KERVANT II module too.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

While each module has some living space, the 4 around the core are mostly disguised fuel tanks - this will allow me to launch tankers from Kerbin, stock YAMAS, and use munar shuttles to take fuel to my Munar Salute station where they will dock and refuel my 1 stage lander which I use to grind munar contracts.

:cool:

Edited by tg626

Dang Beale, you are so self-critical sometimes... :confused: The Vostok parts look great in their current iterations; All very solid. What do you find so wrong with them?

I feel they were made somewhat lazily. And hey, it's always good to review what's already done!

I'd like to condense the vostok onto one sheet. Also heat animated radiators on the engine would be cool.

Unfortunately, these were from the incident I previously mentioned where my computer crashed early in the second stage burn.

Dang!

Well, it is a beauty. I do hope you solve your crashing woes...

It might be nostalgia, but I'm starting to feel sad about the loss of the original parts I fell in love with...

:(

I'll have a go at using the new tantares +KAS support with my old save game and let you know the results. I only recently added KAS and find it to be AWESOME. I expanded support to let me remove and reinstall your solar panels so I could shuffle the panels around my MIR somewhat like they did in real life! And, I placed a winch on the end of my KERVANT II module too.

http://imgur.com/a/36944

While each module has some living space, the 4 around the core are mostly disguised fuel tanks - this will allow me to launch tankers from Kerbin, stock YAMAS, and use munar shuttles to take fuel to my Munar Salute station where they will dock and refuel my 1 stage lander which I use to grind munar contracts.

:cool:

That's a shame to hear! Do you feel the new parts have strayed from the original art style too much? (I'm trying to "future proof" them for the inevitable porkjet/ven remastering of current stock parts, which I expect to happen). I guess you already know this, but you can go all the way back to V12 on Kerbal Stuff.

The YAMAS! Fuel tanks! I was staring and confused last time you posted it, on the adapter like piece, is that a TLV tank? :) The lifting body shuttle design is pretty sweet too.

The mission plan is quite ambitious! I do like the idea of fuel shuttles / tugs. Ive never really tried anything like that.

I'm going to Kennedy Space Center tomorrow. I might have an idea for you to consider from this visit.

I'm all ears! :)

No, I am literally a gelatinous mass of ears. Oh god, help.

Edited by Beale

Just make sure that no americans try to dock their shuttles to it and blow it up!

EDIT: also, I was wondering if it would be possible to make an alt config that adds monoprop to the vostok engine, and TAC resources to the radial tanks.

Edited by billbobjebkirk

EDIT: also, I was wondering if it would be possible to make an alt config that adds monoprop to the vostok engine, and TAC resources to the radial tanks.

I like this idea!

I'm going to Kennedy Space Center tomorrow. I might have an idea for you to consider from this visit.

I'm in Orlando, and haven't been to the visitors center in a LONG while, just the beach to watch launches... Hit me up the next time you're heading out there!

Core-module:

Mostly Tantares (what else?! :P),

KAS (will maybe replaced by KIS),

Nebula Handrails

and Procedural Parts (Adapter between Kvant and Senior Dockingport; radial tanks)

Tweakscale (for procedural parts)

Science-tower (no pics yet, sorry) and Communications-Tower:

KIS

DMagic Orbital Science

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the list! I guess the parts I couldn't identify were Procedural parts. Very inspiring stuff. :)

Beale, just reiterating how much I love the possibility of a honeycomb texture for Vostok once you get PPTS done. :wink:

Teaser of the N1 + Soyuz 7K-LOK + LK Lander ultra-detailed .craft file: 4co4AQA.png

There will be two versions, one with a TON of greeble that may have dependencies such as Tweakscale, RLA, and possibly XT Landertrons, and one simplified version with no dependencies and less greeble. I may ask someone to flight test this sucker in stock-ish 1.0X Scale KSP as I'm running 64k Kerbin with complicated ISP scalings, which is a PAIN to uninstall/reinstall. :P

Edited by curtquarquesso

Do you feel the new parts have strayed from the original art style too much? (I'm trying to "future proof" them for the inevitable porkjet/ven remastering of current stock parts, which I expect to happen). I guess you already know this, but you can go all the way back to V12 on Kerbal Stuff.

The YAMAS! Fuel tanks! I was staring and confused last time you posted it, on the adapter like piece, is that a TLV tank? :) The lifting body shuttle design is pretty sweet too.

The mission plan is quite ambitious! I do like the idea of fuel shuttles / tugs. Ive never really tried anything like that.

Strayed too much? Maybe... but I'm probably being "Change Averse" about it...

On the KAVANT II module, that is a TLV tank buried inside a TKS service module with one of your adapters on the end, the ribs line up perfectly!

And the shuttle, which I posted before, is my take on ROMBUS and would not be possible if it were not for that V2 nose cone!! The core and KAVANT I were launched with your PROTON, but the rest was lofted using my fully reusable ROMBUS which *drastically* cut costs.

I'm having a problem with the LK landing legs - whenever I have the legs extended while warping, they seem to teleport back to folded up when I come out of time warp. Don't really know how to take screen shots of it, though it's an annoying but minor issue. I'm using a mac if that helps.

I'll have a go at using the new tantares +KAS support with my old save game and let you know the results.

And, here are the results:

hm5M24H.png

No Joy. I can open the parts and view the things I stored there, but Kerbin is gone and if I EVA the game crashes.

Crash Folder Here-> https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vcwqcqbw4qs4mh/2015-03-18_002156.zip?dl=0

Part welders!

Make this, the хûõñ úþÑÂüøчõÑÂúøù úþрðñûь...

http://puu.sh/gEuZY/71ef1a590c.jpg

Made by Khlebovich Design Bureau.

EDIT: I don't like the shock plate, it is completely destroying the sphere style of Vostok. (The thing i like the most 'bout it)

Edited by Djolox