[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Which would be realistic, too.

These Antennas (Komparus, Kurs-A) use a hinge mechanism to be folded down during ascend. The Fairings have no openings for them.

You can see the mechanism of the Komparus and Kurs antennas on these images:

https://archive.org/details/STS088-369-014

https://archive.org/details/sts088-353-008

1 hour ago, FlyMeToTheMinmus said:

MrMeeb, it may not help part count, but what about using an IR hinge for the antennae? You can clip the actual hinge inside the FGB, and rotate the antennae to parallel with the stack so they don't stick out.

Funnily enough, I have more budget than you'd think - what was 160 parts is now only like 40. The magics of part welding :P 

I thought about it though. Looks like I'll have to remove those parts from the weld and put them in individually, so I can do that. Hopefully that (along with the changes already mentioned) will be one of the last, so I can move into creating a video and putting it up for download!

48 minutes ago, InsaneDruid said:

Which would be realistic, too.

These Antennas (Komparus, Kurs-A) use a hinge mechanism to be folded down during ascend. The Fairings have no openings for them.

You can see the mechanism of the Komparus and Kurs antennas on these images:

https://archive.org/details/STS088-369-014

https://archive.org/details/sts088-353-008

Do you have a magnifying glass or something? That first image is tiny! 

(Edit: I am now downloading EVERYTHING on that website...)

Jokes aside, thanks for the help once again! Your help may be required again when I get to Zvezda, for which I would be very grateful.

Interesting what you said about the fairings. My understanding was that that was something they did. I presumed the little white protrusion in this image was for that purpose, but seeing it in photos of other modules, I guess it must be a feature of the fairing assembly. You learn something new everyday. 

145668458614856851.jpg

Edited by MrMeeb

No, they fold flat.

The zarya fairing seems to have had protrusions for the 634 MHz telemetry system antenna, which are comb-like "blades" of metal and sit with the Sirius-4 antenna (which can be folded) on the  radiators above the tanks.

Compare this image:

iss_fgb_fairing_254_1.jpg

with this:

STS-128_EVA2_Russian_Orbital_Segment.jpg

the white protrusion (you can see the hole in the fairing beneath it in the picture above should be for something different (though in the area of the komparus and kurs antenna).

OH WAIT:

the image above, and the ones i posted before show the dorsal side of zarya. But the ventral side has a non-retractable komparus antenna (and no kurs antenna) That is the side where the fairing has the white protrusion. Also, you can see in this image, the numbers of the aforementioned comb-like 634 MHz telemetry system antenna and the smaller (black) bulges match perfectly.

Cables_between_the_first_two_ISS_modules

So.. we where both right. On the ventral side is a non-retractable one, on the dorsal side are two that can be folded. (Plus the golf-club like toru-antennas on both sides, can be folded)

Edited by InsaneDruid

On 5/28/2016 at 7:30 PM, MrMeeb said:

I seem to remember you used to have a link to download the source .psds of your textures. Is there somewhere I can find them? They don't seem to be in the OP anymore :) 

Whoops, looks like they have vanished.

Which textures do you need?

17 hours ago, MrMeeb said:

z6Yy3qh.pngJ4Xp0Vn.png

It's looking great! I have never had the time available or patience to have the fairings correct!

On 5/28/2016 at 10:32 PM, Jack Wolfe said:

Thanks for the kind words about my N1, everyone! It's a launch platform that has always intrigued me, and it's a delight to be able to experiment with the beastie.

@hendrack , thanks for the tip about Camera Focus Changer! That saved the mission (unless I find another way to muck it up).

Descent burn. The temporary crasher stage is pants and needs to be redesigned. Watching it smash into the surface was pretty satisfying after fighting with the hunk of junk. I'll most likely wait for Beale to finish his Blok-D so I can do things properly.

hyu5qnI.png?1

Less than three metres to go.

scwuVb7.png?1

Touchdown and antennae deployment. 

6pvNyqv.png?1

A quality Mun landing! :) 

Now use the LK on Duna!

17 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

I don't know if this has been reported.

I had an issue when a craft reached about 6 km in altitude, the camera started to act really weirdly, like the craft CoM is somewhere behind the craft. Anyway it got so bad that affected crafts are almost unplayable. There seem to be no errors in the log when this happens.

I do have lots of mods installed so I can not rule out that this is the result of some cross-mod interaction. But if any of you have this issue. I tracked it down to the A-U2R Photovoltaic Monoprop Tanks. If I remove those from the craft or replace them with the non-solar panel version everything is fine.

It would be cool if someone could verify this (perhaps without other mods installed).

I have a suspicion something has been mixed up, @Jack Wolfe also reported camera issues.

Can you give pictures of the craft? 

1 hour ago, Beale said:

I have a suspicion something has been mixed up, @Jack Wolfe also reported camera issues.

There is a typos in the config of "TK-PP00A 1x6 Photovoltaic Panels" and "Alnair PA-8PX Photovoltaic Array" at the end. Remove the last "}".

Wrong version of Tantares, sorry.

Edited by hraban

25 minutes ago, Beale said:

I don't know when I get to it (I am at work now).

I could reproduce it by taking a Mk 1 Command Pod with a "Kickback" SRB below and two of those photovoltaic rcs tanks attached in radial symmetry to the SRB. I guess the type of propulsion doesn't matter, I just wanted to reach ~6 km in altitude with as few parts as possible.

But I did not try with an unmodded (except Tantares of course) KSP install. Very well possible that some of the other mods I have installed is responsible for it. I just wanted to give a quick note about my finding, perhaps someone is having similar issues and/or can confirm my finding until I get around to play KSP again. 

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Whoops, looks like they have vanished.

Which textures do you need?

I asked this before making those fairings, and then decided I'd be productive and try and make my own while I waited, and so I used the ones in the Tantares Procedural Parts set. Honestly, I'm really happy with how it came out! That being said, I was looking for the Proton textures, and I may now need the TKS textures. Is it possible to get those two sets? :) 

4 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

I don't know when I get to it (I am at work now).

I could reproduce it by taking a Mk 1 Command Pod with a "Kickback" SRB below and two of those photovoltaic rcs tanks attached in radial symmetry to the SRB. I guess the type of propulsion doesn't matter, I just wanted to reach ~6 km in altitude with as few parts as possible.

But I did not try with an unmodded (except Tantares of course) KSP install. Very well possible that some of the other mods I have installed is responsible for it. I just wanted to give a quick note about my finding, perhaps someone is having similar issues and/or can confirm my finding until I get around to play KSP again. 

Ok here we go. KSP 64 bit on Windows 10. Unmodded KSP installation except Tantares 35 from Spacedock.

Craft: MusXCL2.jpg

Just launch it. At about 6 km the camera goes crazy.

The thing is that from there on the problem persists with the craft even after reloads/restarts/quickloads/whatever and irrespective of situation (i.e. flying in atmosphere or in orbit).

When I remove the RCS tanks or replace them with other tanks the problem does not occur.

21 minutes ago, Dodovogel said:

Ok here we go. KSP 64 bit on Windows 10. Unmodded KSP installation except Tantares 35 from Spacedock.

The thing is that from there on the problem persists with the craft even after reloads/restarts/quickloads/whatever and irrespective of situation (i.e. flying in atmosphere or in orbit).

When I remove the RCS tanks or replace them with other tanks the problem does not occur.

There's probably some kind of issue in the part cfg. We recent fixed this same issue with one of our antennas over at BDB, and it was cfg based. 

what happened to 

libra.LFO.B

libra.engine.B

a lot of ships got deleted because of them missing.

cfg files are still there but models are missing - looking for tantares pre- 35.0 to fix this...

Edited by ZAJC3W

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

I asked this before making those fairings, and then decided I'd be productive and try and make my own while I waited, and so I used the ones in the Tantares Procedural Parts set. Honestly, I'm really happy with how it came out! That being said, I was looking for the Proton textures, and I may now need the TKS textures. Is it possible to get those two sets? :) 

Here! :) 

57 minutes ago, Dodovogel said:

34 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

There's probably some kind of issue in the part cfg. We recent fixed this same issue with one of our antennas over at BDB, and it was cfg based. 

Okay!

Yes, this is for sure a config issue.

Null reference on the solar panel part? I will take a look.

26 minutes ago, ZAJC3W said:

what happened to 

libra.LFO.B

libra.engine.B

a lot of ships got deleted because of them missing.

cfg files are still there but models are missing - looking for tantares pre- 35.0 to fix this...

You can get previous versions on SpaceDock.

It was marked in the release post and SpaceDock changelog that 35.0 was craft breaking, but it looks like I have forgotten to note that in the release files.

These parts you are missing will soon be available again in the TantaresLV mod (They are better suited there as launch vehicle parts).

Edited by Beale

On 5/28/2016 at 5:32 PM, Jack Wolfe said:

Thanks for the kind words about my N1, everyone! It's a launch platform that has always intrigued me, and it's a delight to be able to experiment with the beastie.

@hendrack , thanks for the tip about Camera Focus Changer! That saved the mission (unless I find another way to muck it up).

Descent burn. The temporary crasher stage is pants and needs to be redesigned. Watching it smash into the surface was pretty satisfying after fighting with the hunk of junk. I'll most likely wait for Beale to finish his Blok-D so I can do things properly.

That looks fantastic. This is also the first time that I have randomly seen my mod's part in use in the wild. *squee!*

Okay, I think I'm finished with Zarya! It all fits into the fairings, and it looks a bit more accurate and greebly now, after a full redesign :) 

0F17nT5.jpgvIgK3LU.jpg

It's now got its own thread over on the Spacecraft Exchange too! :D