[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

35 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

The texture on the new ATV is so boring though... I think it's fine the way it is. 

7 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

Yeah the textures of the new ATV are kinda boring when you compare it to the current one , the new ones look to me like some generic fuel tank:P

Here are old and new side-by-side.

The old part certainly does not look bad, considering its age. But, there are a few problem:

• Too high texture density.
  • Thermal blanket textures look poor, "thermal sweater vest" more like.
  • Old part will look wrong next to new Porkjet stock parts.

056a9a32d7.jpg
508fc301ec.jpg
5165af8cb5.jpg

55 minutes ago, Beale said:

Here are old and new side-by-side.

The old part certainly does not look bad, considering its age. But, there are a few problem:

• Too high texture density.
  • Thermal blanket textures look poor, "thermal sweater vest" more like.
  • Old part will look wrong next to new Porkjet stock parts.

056a9a32d7.jpg
508fc301ec.jpg
5165af8cb5.jpg

While you do make a good point, I do agree with Venom that the new texture just looks... bland.

I suggest adding some color to it. Make it pop.

46 minutes ago, Danny88 said:

Now you have me wanting to launch a ATV with THIS as the flag decal.

Do it, and I'll put it in the Album (alongside your Mun lander).

28 minutes ago, Third_OfFive said:

While you do make a good point, I do agree with Venom that the new texture just looks... bland.

I suggest adding some color to it. Make it pop.

The old classic! :wink: 

aa0d1cc326.png

I am joking, I think there is a lot of work to be done on the appearance of the ATV.
Maybe Cygnus colour?

71b2beedbd.jpg
31a8a5f591.jpg

I did find this picture of a V-2.

It makes me wonder if KSP in general is too grey

@captainradish It's the problem with modular design. Brightly coloured parts are more difficult to use in multiple designs of crafts.

Edited by Beale

Question: are there any grey or dark grey fairings that go well with Tantares parts? I do not have tweakscale configured for Tantares, so I cannot use those fairings for larger launch vehicles. Any tips on how to do that?

2 minutes ago, Danny88 said:

Question: are there any grey or dark grey fairings that go well with Tantares parts? I do not have tweakscale configured for Tantares, so I cannot use those fairings for larger launch vehicles. Any tips on how to do that?

There's a Tantares fairing collection on CKAN. I don't remember what it's called, though.

Edit: it's called Tantares Fairing Extension and it's here: 

Edited by captainradish

2 minutes ago, Danny88 said:

BURNS-VEST (Biological Universal, Return Natural Science - Vehicle, Electronic Supply Transfer) mission setup. 

Glad to be of help. :D

My current campaign I'm still launching cheap com satellites.

Edited by captainradish

7 minutes ago, captainradish said:

Glad to be of help. :D

My current campaign I'm still launching cheap com satellites.

On 1.1.2 I'm doing a fair number of Kerbin system missions couple of asteroid fly-bys, no major planet missions yet other than probes.

1 minute ago, Danny88 said:

On 1.1.2 I'm doing a fair number of Kerbin system missions couple of asteroid fly-bys, no major planet missions yet other than probes.

Remotetech is fun, but damn does it require a lot of infrastructure. I've gotten pretty good at setting up Molniya orbits, though.

6 hours ago, Beale said:

Do it, and I'll put it in the Album (alongside your Mun lander).

The old classic! :wink: 

aa0d1cc326.png

I am joking, I think there is a lot of work to be done on the appearance of the ATV.
Maybe Cygnus colour?

71b2beedbd.jpg
31a8a5f591.jpg

@captainradish It's the problem with modular design. Brightly coloured parts are more difficult to use in multiple designs of crafts.

Nice :D

One last suggestion

PVz3RtL.jpg

I would modify the bottom bit to look more like the old one. And maybe add a window or to on the top.

Again, I'm only suggesting. The choice is up to you.

15 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I love mashing up the different space programmes. It's surprising how well it works.

I love mashing up different space programs too!  I do it by crashing them into the same crater. Works surprising well.  :cool:

3 hours ago, Third_OfFive said:

Nice :D

One last suggestion

*snip*

I would modify the bottom bit to look more like the old one. And maybe add a window or to on the top.

Again, I'm only suggesting. The choice is up to you.

Yeah, I agree. I never liked those tiles on the bottom...

Edited by trooperMNG

On 6/3/2016 at 8:52 AM, Beale said:

Alternate texture for the Soyuz? Per request of @MrMeeb

79d364b547.jpg

Just my personal preference, but can you do this new texture for Soyuz AND keep the old grey texture in the alternate configs folder? I would still like to have the all grey version for early R-7 versions (Sputnik, Molniya, etc.) and then this version for Soyuz flights.

On 6/3/2016 at 11:50 AM, Beale said:

I have a few suggestions:

• Ariane 5
    • I wholeheartedly agree it needs an upper stage, preferably all of versions flown or planned :wink:.
    • I also think that 3.125m would be a good size for Ariane 5, and 1.875m for the boosters.
  • ATV
    • Rivets and indents are always nice visually, something to somehow make the blanketed part pop...
    • I like the Cygnus color, that  tan color could be your standard for "cargo craft"
  • Colors
    • Yellow for Mono propellant is established and possibly Cygnus Tan for Cargo,
    • Maybe Orange for Soyuz related LFO parts
    • Maybe Red highlights on Proton LFO parts (to represent the different type of IRL fuel, even though it is still an LFO in game?)
    • Blue highlights on parachute parts?
  • Soyuz 2-1v
    • I would really like to see a fuel tank for the core stage of the Soyuz that is shorter for no booster configurations like the Soyuz 2-1v. Tantares already has the tank on the left and the one I'd like to also see in Tantares is the on the right. DH5LnFT.jpg
    • Who knows, maybe some sort of NK-33/RD-191/RD-181 engine can also be made for such rockets...

Keep up the great work Beale, and most importantly, do what you want to do next.

How does one go about producing the L3 Moon Expedition Complex (the moon landy thingie part of the N1, hence the name N1-L3)? I know all of the parts are there, but I don't know how to build the LK Lander, or the stage below Blok D, or the Soyuz 7K LOK. Does anybody know how to build this?

On 6/5/2016 at 7:12 PM, OTmikhail said:

DH5LnFT.jpg

Who knows, maybe some sort of NK-33/RD-191/RD-181 engine can also be made for such rockets...

Nice suggestions!

81c3e1aab6.jpg

For the thin Soyuz, it is a possibility, but not a priority.

4 hours ago, Joeybafoey said:

How does one go about producing the L3 Moon Expedition Complex (the moon landy thingie part of the N1, hence the name N1-L3)? I know all of the parts are there, but I don't know how to build the LK Lander, or the stage below Blok D, or the Soyuz 7K LOK. Does anybody know how to build this?

Here is a craft file.