[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

Hello Beale,

could you give a guesstimate how many hours it would take you to re-work N1? You've mentioned several times that it's "huge", what does this translate to in quantitative terms?

Besides that, once again, thanks for all your efforts!

In reading up on Chelomei’s L3, I found that the landing skis were not just to have a wide landing footprint but also that each ski could be adjusted to level the craft before ascent. How difficult would it be to add a slider to the parts to allow them to adjust through 180 degrees? Kind of like the cargo bay doors.

49913679526_9b3a3760fd_w_d.jpg

23 hours ago, claustro said:

Hello Beale,

could you give a guesstimate how many hours it would take you to re-work N1? You've mentioned several times that it's "huge", what does this translate to in quantitative terms?

Besides that, once again, thanks for all your efforts!

It'll be done when it gets done.  Mods are gifts, not products, so the mod maker is under no obligation to guesstimate time.

Edited by MashAndBangers

13 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

It'll be done when it gets done.  Mods are gifts, not products, so the mod maker is under no obligation to guesstimate time.

Hey Beale, and anyone interested, would you be interested in B9  partswitch configs to change the engines for the various versions in real life?  I'm not sure if I would do every engine config imaginable, just major ones, and it would be balanced for JNSQ (remember Tantares is OP for the stock system anyway, so don't go huffing at me :P).  They would come in MM config patches separate from tantares of course.  Can I get an amen?  :P

I get the allergy and aversion to nagging modders. But this was actually not the nature of my question. To clarify: I didn't ask for a E.T.A.

I'm wondering how many work hours are behind creating a large, intricate rocket like the N1. :) Is "huge" closer to 100 or 1 000 hrs.

17 hours ago, Beale said:

That's one of the new(ish) rockets, what's do you think needs revamp?

Individually? I'd say the Proton engines are a bit.. iffy. I don't mind them staying the same, but it'd be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

In reading up on Chelomei’s L3, I found that the landing skis were not just to have a wide landing footprint but also that each ski could be adjusted to level the craft before ascent. How difficult would it be to add a slider to the parts to allow them to adjust through 180 degrees? Kind of like the cargo bay doors.

49913679526_9b3a3760fd_w_d.jpg

Cool!

Though it would be possible to add a slider to those, I am not sure right now even with a slider you could get a nice level base, maybe need some reworks to how the legs deploy.

2 hours ago, claustro said:

I get the allergy and aversion to nagging modders. But this was actually not the nature of my question. To clarify: I didn't ask for a E.T.A.

I'm wondering how many work hours are behind creating a large, intricate rocket like the N1. :) Is "huge" closer to 100 or 1 000 hrs.

For a nice round number, I think 100 hours is probably close.

Between IRL I can usually get 1 or 2 hours of modding time a go so you can imagine that's a still a few months.
The old N1 model is back from a much simpler time, so the standards are much lower -

2 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Individually? I'd say the Proton engines are a bit.. iffy. I don't mind them staying the same, but it'd be greatly appreciated!

Happy to take a look, but you really need to give me something to go on other than "a bit iffy", I can't work with that! :D

Some fun experiments with Mir core, but not feeling it exactly.

Think this will stay "complete" for a little bit longer until I can get in the mood again.

Cw61u39.jpg
EXsyj7w.jpg

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Happy to take a look, but you really need to give me something to go on other than "a bit iffy", I can't work with that! :D

I suppose the proper thing to say is that they'd look better with more detail. 

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Think this will stay "complete" for a little bit longer until I can get in the mood again.

Cw61u39.jpg
EXsyj7w.jpg

These look great btw!

2 hours ago, Beale said:

Cw61u39.jpgEXsyj7w.jpg

Wow, that is a major leap upwards in terms of fidelity. 

As I've been getting back into KSP, I've been working on replicating Zvezda and Zarya pretty intensely. Because much of this info has leaked out of my brain since 2+ years ago when we would get into the nitty-gritty of dimensions, do you recall whether there many dimensional differences between Zvezda and the Mir Core module? 

Also, that fabric texture would be *excellent* for a future ATV revamp... ;)

Edited by curtquarquesso

9 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

Wow, that is a major leap upwards in terms of fidelity. 

As I've been getting back into KSP, I've been working on replicating Zvezda and Zarya pretty intensely. Because much of this info has leaked out of my brain since 2+ years ago when we would get into the nitty-gritty of dimensions, do you recall whether there many dimensional differences between Zvezda and the Mir Core module? 

Also, that fabric texture would be *excellent* for a future ATV revamp... ;)

I hold this information like a net full of water also :)

In general Zvezda and the Mir Core module are extremely similar, zvezda was well underway in 1985 - as the core for Mir-2, before the launch of Mir-1 even. Zvezda I believe was at one point a carbon-copy of the Mir core, as a backup.
So yeah in terms of dimensions, there is basically no real differences, even the window placement is the same.

QkXtmbH.jpg
PS3BP5F.jpg

Edited by Beale

6 hours ago, Beale said:

I am not sure right now even with a slider you could get a nice level base

From From http://www.astronautix.com/l/lk-700.html

"Block III Soft Landing Stage: Mass 3500 kg. The unique soft landing platform consisted of six landing gear, each equipped with long ski-like landing pads. This design could accommodate safe landings at vertical velocities of up to 5 m/s; lateral velocities of 2 m/s; and provide a level launch platform on 15 degree slopes. Before launch of the ascent stage special electric devices in each gear would level the platform."

I built some legs with the Breaking Ground robotic parts and landed on a 16% grade on the mun. I adjusted each leg until the LK was level.

49924121168_5a1ec9c2af_w_d.jpg

10 hours ago, EStreetRockets said:

@Beale, I know you aren't a bug fan of dependencies in your mods, but would you consider making the RD-0120 run on LOX/LH2 from B9PartSwitch?

Also, I'll honestly take whatever new stuff you make. This is already a great mod, and you could only make it better!

I'm pretty comfortable doing that in a dependency free way - after doing that in CRE (bundle tantares_lh2 and switch actual lh2 if you have CRP installed) - so yeah I will make Energia LH2,
just need
      A. the resource amounts
      B. somebody to remind me :D

Mir and potential Zvezda recolour.

Z8LnOvp.jpg
AirYrEg.jpg
OuStlli.jpg

With the Salyuts, aiming for more or less same (kind of) detail density.
xcvsMSu.jpg

Edited by Beale

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I was looking at installing Kerbalism pretty soon and noticed in its mod compatibility page that Tantares wasn't listed. Are there some configs for Kerbalism that anyone uses with Tantares?

1o9Xl23.jpg
OmShJyd.png
8b1H5YS.png

4 hours ago, Semaj97 said:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I was looking at installing Kerbalism pretty soon and noticed in its mod compatibility page that Tantares wasn't listed. Are there some configs for Kerbalism that anyone uses with Tantares?

I don't think such configs exist., unfortunately.

21 minutes ago, curtquarquesso said:

The window inset into the tapered section looks terrific. 
Thinking about integrated RCS or surface attach RCS?

I'll second that.  The mesh and texture work on these look incredible.  I'd love to have some better-than-stockalike modular MIR components, and I think this art refresh pushes the Tantares MIR into that range.

1 hour ago, curtquarquesso said:

The window inset into the tapered section looks terrific. 
Thinking about integrated RCS or surface attach RCS?

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

I'll second that.  The mesh and texture work on these look incredible.  I'd love to have some better-than-stockalike modular MIR components, and I think this art refresh pushes the Tantares MIR into that range.

Many thanks - still keeping things in the same style, but the extra fabric is not something I have played with so far.
Re: RCS, separate this time, but I might look into depth masks to inset them.

Re: style in general - the Mir is made using a bunch of new ways of texturing I learnt making CRE:

It shakes things up a bit, so I have updated *all* core Tantares textures to match the CRE style (that's 117 DDS files :) )

Some things look almost the same, but dark black parts now have way more contrast, parts such as the old Mir modules have also received visual refreshes, as well as cream FGB textures.
Still teething issues - so if you have any long-standing gripes with certain colours / textures speak now and I may find an opportunity to fix them.

jAu69gs.jpg
0u6KN5R.jpg
CbOL0Ct.jpg
AEn3HOk.jpg
5XSpVc5.jpg
4s8AgJ6.jpg

2 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

You would be mistaken ;) Kerbalism comes with a config file for tantares.

Oh! That's great! Many thanks.

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

I finished off the N1-L3 and Crew Modules pages of the Tantares unofficial wiki.  Feedback welcome.

Reads brilliant! Many thanks! I love it.