[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

1 hour ago, Legcutter said:

Wow. That one I've missed, thanks for the info

My pleasure :) By the way, the fuel in the SM is enough to keep the fuel cell running for about 56 Kerbin-days/2 weeks. Not exactly a mission to Mars (or Duna), but more than enough for a trip from Earth to the Moon and back. Also it draws fuel from the lowest tank first, resourse transfer or not. Not sure if it's a bug or it's how fuel cells work in KSP.

Edited by TK-313

A question about the new LOK dockingport/RCS cap part.  (I have not yet tested it in space)

What types/genders/sizes/whatever of docking ports is it intended/compatible to connect with? Can I use a 0.62m soyuz female docking port as the intended target for it? (in-line on top of the LK rcs cap part)

It may seem like an odd question but I've never actually tried to dock using mismatched genders/sizes with the tantares parts so I'm not sure how they behave outside the "intended" use.

Also, don't know if its intentional or not, but it doesn't seem to have a 'surface' for things to attach to. For example, I had trouble mounting a fixed light on it, had to place it on the OM and use the translation/reposition slider in VAB to make it 'look' attached to the cap. When I've had this issue before it's usually been with things like retractable landing gear parts or cargo bay doors. Not a complaint, just a report. :-)

Edited by tjsnh

8 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Energia when? I needs it for my Cormorant Buran.

Energia is 10% complete but was on hold while I clean some other things.
Maybe soon, maybe not, it depends how I feel.

21 hours ago, Deltac said:

Let us salute the Salyut!

LKfJUeR.png

6 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

Spying with a weirdo boi ...
1511881210-20171128153419-1.jpg

Two beautiful builds in one day oh it makes me happy to see :) 
I love the detail level @DiscoSlelge

5 hours ago, Kablob said:

I've seen a lot of pictures with alternate textures for this mod. Is there anywhere I can download these?

Aside from the link from @TK-313, unfortunately "official" alternate textures are not yet released.

2 hours ago, tjsnh said:

A question about the new LOK dockingport/RCS cap part.  (I have not yet tested it in space)

What types/genders/sizes/whatever of docking ports is it intended/compatible to connect with? Can I use a 0.62m soyuz female docking port as the intended target for it? (in-line on top of the LK rcs cap part)

It may seem like an odd question but I've never actually tried to dock using mismatched genders/sizes with the tantares parts so I'm not sure how they behave outside the "intended" use.

Also, don't know if its intentional or not, but it doesn't seem to have a 'surface' for things to attach to. For example, I had trouble mounting a fixed light on it, had to place it on the OM and use the translation/reposition slider in VAB to make it 'look' attached to the cap. When I've had this issue before it's usually been with things like retractable landing gear parts or cargo bay doors. Not a complaint, just a report. :-)

It's quite a recent change, but now every gendered port should dock with each other 0.625/0.9375 etc. 

Currently the collider is as you describe, it's set to not allow surface attach (Due to all the greebles I thought it would look strange). What do you think? Should it be changed?

I have made some progress on a nice old thing, but I will wait till more is complete to show! :wink:  

oh okay you can look now.

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

It's quite a recent change, but now every gendered port should dock with each other 0.625/0.9375 etc. 

Currently the collider is as you describe, it's set to not allow surface attach (Due to all the greebles I thought it would look strange). What do you think? Should it be changed?

So it will dock with the 0.625 female soyuz port?

The collider allowing surface attachments would be nice for placing lights (the little soyuz light comes to mind specifically) on it, but if you decide to add that at some point consider it a low priority - its a great looking part as-is.

1 hour ago, tjsnh said:

So it will dock with the 0.625 female soyuz port?
The collider allowing surface attachments would be nice for placing lights (the little soyuz light comes to mind specifically) on it, but if you decide to add that at some point consider it a low priority - its a great looking part as-is.

Disclaimer: I didn't try it yet! :D 
But, yes this should work, you can even sink the port in so the Hex are visible and it should still dock.

I plan to do a "real" female Kontact port soon.

2RPTYtM.png
clEy13Q.png
EuOshIa.png
FFv4EIq.png  WHY

Edited by Beale

3 hours ago, Gunslinger1 said:

I downloaded the alt textures and the switcher but for some reason it isn't working for me. Maybe I'm saving them in the wrong location

Perhaps. I don't quite recall the exact post, but the ALT folder goes in Tantares\Parts\Soyuz, the .cfg goes to wherever in Gamedata (I have it in Tantares).

So how are we supposed to edit the .dds textures?  I hear there's a plugin for Photoshop, so does it become a simple load file into photoshop, edit, and save as .dds?  And something about flipping and DXT1.  I'd like to try my hand at making alt skins, but this .dds file has me cornfused!

21 hours ago, Beale said:

Aside from the link from @TK-313, unfortunately "official" alternate textures are not yet released.

If you're OK , I can make a fork on GH, then you can add an "Extras" folder where I can add them. So people doesn't have to comb this thread finding my posts, it work OK so with BDB so far!

16 hours ago, Gunslinger1 said:

I downloaded the alt textures and the switcher but for some reason it isn't working for me. Maybe I'm saving them in the wrong location. Is there a readme file?

12 hours ago, TK-313 said:

Perhaps. I don't quite recall the exact post, but the ALT folder goes in Tantares\Parts\Soyuz, the .cfg goes to wherever in Gamedata (I have it in Tantares).

Let me know by PM if you have any problems, I'm a lazy **s but may I can make a readme

44 minutes ago, Deltac said:

So how are we supposed to edit the .dds textures?  I hear there's a plugin for Photoshop, so does it become a simple load file into photoshop, edit, and save as .dds?  And something about flipping and DXT1.  I'd like to try my hand at making alt skins, but this .dds file has me cornfused!

The right way is to download this and the PSD file from GH, then save them as DDS using that tool (DXT5 and flipped). You can edit the DDS files but they won't look very good

Edited by Drakenex

8 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

PSD file from GH

Oh, that's why I couldn't find the assets, I was looking under Tantares/Tantares in git hub when I should have gone one folder up!  I thought the assets would be with the tantares parts, but no, it's a separate download after all.  That'll help that they are PSD, thank you very much!

4 hours ago, Drakenex said:

The right way

(oops double post >:O)

So I edited the texture_hamal_general_1, saved it as .dds flipped vertical and dxt5, then replaced the file in the tantares folder, loaded up the game, aaaaaand no change to the habitation module that I swore I colored over.  When I look at the .dds file, the change is there, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

@Drakenex now I'm trying to switch the texture on the N1 rocket first stage, but the texture switcher doesn't switch the texture to my green one.

@PART[LLV_A_LFO_1]:NEEDS[Firespitter]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		 moduleID = 0

objectNames = LV_A_LFO_1 // this is as mentioned is the name of the mesh not the part, if you are working on someone elses parts and dont know the mesh name, open the .mu in notepad and  usually the mesh name is the third or fourth human readable block of characters

textureNames = TantaresLV/Parts/LLV/LLV_B_Engine_1_psd;TantaresLV/Parts/LLV/Delli_Alt/Texture_LLV_General_1_GN; // this the texture path and in this case translates as foldername/foldername/foldername/texture
		textureDisplayNames = Stock;Green;  // this is the list of names shown in the gui 
		nextButtonText = Next Color
		prevButtonText = Previous Color
		statusText = Current Color
		showPreviousButton = true
		updateSymmetry = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
		repaintableEVA = true
	}
}

The paths are good, objectnames is good, the only thing I'm iffy about is the LLV_B_Engine_1_psd.dds file Beale has in there.  It has the right texture, but there's no .mbm file, so I don't know what texture the first stage is actually using.  @Beale this is hard work! xP

Edited by Deltac

42 minutes ago, Deltac said:

@Drakenex now I'm trying to switch the texture on the N1 rocket first stage, but the texture switcher doesn't switch the texture to my green one.

@PART[LLV_A_LFO_1]:NEEDS[Firespitter]
{
	MODULE
	{
		 name = FStextureSwitch2
		 moduleID = 0

objectNames = LV_A_LFO_1 // this is as mentioned is the name of the mesh not the part, if you are working on someone elses parts and dont know the mesh name, open the .mu in notepad and  usually the mesh name is the third or fourth human readable block of characters

textureNames = TantaresLV/Parts/LLV/LLV_B_Engine_1_psd;TantaresLV/Parts/LLV/Delli_Alt/Texture_LLV_General_1_GN; // this the texture path and in this case translates as foldername/foldername/foldername/texture
		textureDisplayNames = Stock;Green;  // this is the list of names shown in the gui 
		nextButtonText = Next Color
		prevButtonText = Previous Color
		statusText = Current Color
		showPreviousButton = true
		updateSymmetry = true
		showInfo = false
		debugMode = false
		showListButton = false
		repaintableEVA = true
	}
}

The paths are good, objectnames is good, the only thing I'm iffy about is the LLV_B_Engine_1_psd.dds file Beale has in there.  It has the right texture, but there's no .mbm file, so I don't know what texture the first stage is actually using.  @Beale this is hard work! xP

90% of the time the object name is wrong, get the correct one using this:

5 hours ago, TK-313 said:

@Drakenex, if I may ask... Can you adapt your textures to the 2-crew Soyuz as well?

Do you mean the old Soyuz?

42 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

Do you mean the old Soyuz?

The new old soyuz that Beale added.  It's a new part yet it's based off the old 2 man soyuz, it's also old because Beale only had a 2 man soyuz before, but it's new because it has a different texture.  It's old and new!  I'm going crazy! :D