[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

5 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

@Beale  I noticed that Habitation modules of the Soyouz like craft can't hold experiments.  Also, I noticed that the Soyouz like reentry capsules don't have any side hatch so if you come back from EVA or a celestial body surface with science, you can't get inside the Habitation module and then into the reentry capsule with the science carried by the kerbal.  Is the kerbal on EVA still able to drop science into the reentry module even if he is unable to enter it directly? (my idea was to drop science and then get back to the habitation module to get in and then transfer the kerbal into the reentry module via transfer button, I haven't tested it yet and yesterday, I rushed my mission to the Mun and got no science back from it).

Are all these intentional? (given that the mod has been around for years, I guess that if it was a mistake it would have been corrected a long time ago already).

I'm new to Tantares, so I'm still getting used to it.

BTW even in JNSQ, N1 is OP, I guess it is best suited to RSS, isn't it? I managed to bring a Soyouz+LK lander to the Mun with the third stage and use that third stage to deorbit the lander, the G stage was superfluous at best it helped me to keep reserve delta V for the ascent and rendezvous back in munar orbit.

To be honest, I rushed my build so much that the decoupler for the escape tower was mounted upside down, Russian style so I couldn't dock the lander to the Soyouz because the decoupler was still attached to the docking port, lol.

Thanks for feedback!

The habitation module is actually a bug! So I will open a Github issue for that soon.

For the capsule - this is intentional, the capsule has an extra feature to "blow the hatch" that fires the parachute off, this then reveals the EVA door. It's a little balance thing to kind of say - if you are going EVA, you need the hab module, or you will need to sacrifice your parachute. There is the other Soyuz capsule with a front EVA door, which can be used instead, but this has no probe control capability.

Re: N1, I think it needs a heavy balance fix - I will look into it.

1 hour ago, Callistoan said:

So what is the deal with KSP2? Will mods be transferred to the game or will all current mods remain on KSP? I don't want to leave Tantares behind :(

KSP 2 are going to be probably a really different game, Gameplay is probably the same for the parts system... but the fact the game is more focused on Interplanetary with colonies, make it more scifi i think.

I'm maybe wrong, but that why for now i also don't expect / plan anything for KSP2. Depend how you like to play KSP, KSP2 are maybe not going to make everyone happy, player and modder. don't expect too much about KSP1 mod converted to KSP2, maybe some mod, but most of modders are probably going to start from scratch.

Anyway, we are not in a KSP2 thread here...

Yeah my N1 with Soyouz and LK is about 50m high. (47m, but I didn't put a real 4th stage to it ,though) The real one was about 100 m high with the LAS. So do you plan to keep the performance as it is but just increase the size? (and move further up the parts in the tech tree? )

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

On 11/13/2019 at 3:46 PM, Quoniam Kerman said:

Yeah my N1 with Soyouz and LK is about 50m high. (47m, but I didn't put a real 4th stage to it ,though) The real one was about 100 m high with the LAS. So do you plan to keep the performance as it is but just increase the size? (and move further up the parts in the tech tree? )

The joys of scaling :)

IRL N1 is ~105m tall, in KSP ideally this would result in a rocket ~65.5m tall.
With the slight overscaling in the new model, to fit neatly into standard KSP sizing, this goes up to ~70m.
It is a little big, but no huge deal.

If made at this scale, it would almost certainly need some big hammers and lenses on the balancing, for 2.5x and beyond to prevent it being stupidly overpowered.

The new N1 would focus on a modular design, so you can swap the engines as pleased.

EP2S371.jpg
OeqJwlK.jpg
mJt0GSO.jpg

There is a reason I am talking a little vaguely here, I am still not sure if I want to make this, at least in KSP1.

Edited by Beale

17 minutes ago, Jebihean Kerman said:

can anyone send me there craft file of the N1 with the soviet space pack this mod 

It's extremely unlikely my parts are going to fit on the rocket from another mod. Either use the N1 from my mod or use the lok from this mod, don't mix and match them.

11 hours ago, Beale said:

The joys of scaling :)

IRL N1 is ~105m tall, in KSP ideally this would result in a rocket ~65.5m tall.
With the slight overscaling in the new model, to fit neatly into standard KSP sizing, this goes up to ~70m.
It is a little big, but no huge deal.

If made at this scale, it would almost certainly need some big hammers and lenses on the balancing, for 2.5x and beyond to prevent it being stupidly overpowered.

The new N1 would focus on a modular design, so you can swap the engines as pleased.

EP2S371.jpg
OeqJwlK.jpg
mJt0GSO.jpg

There is a reason I am talking a little vaguely here, I am still not sure if I want to make this, at least in KSP1.

About Soyouz parts, I think that the orbital/habitation modules not taking science is not that big of a deal as long as you can drop science into the main capsule via EVA. Because since the main capsule doesn't have a side hatch, you must transfer to it and science isn't taken by transfer so you must drop it via EVA, unless adding a data storage module to the main capsule to right click transfer science from lander to main capsule. And for those who want to roleplay the Soviet Moon mission, you have to EVA, so dropping science via EVA before boarding sounds about right because it forces you to EVA anyway.

Update on my Lunar Basecamp. Unfortunately don't have screenshots and will send them later. I landed the green house, rover, and habitation model. Used some of the external experiments from Breaking Ground. Currently I have two crews at the basecamp, both landed with the soyuz-fregat lander. I want to slowly faze it out with the new LK-700, but I don't want to have to leave the landing stage. It creates for obstacles while landing and contributes to trash near my basecamp. I hate SSTOs, but I'm unsure on how to proceed. Any advice?

Any desire for a new Soyuz? N1 is a little too much right now, but this seems attractive. potentially.

xgW4vyr.jpg

12 hours ago, zit said:

FUAyiWd.jpg

It turned white.

100% for sure not related to this mod, what install are you currently using?

GameData folder screenshot is very helpful for this.

4 hours ago, Well said:

need some screenshot here

screenshot17.jpg

Such a cutie, best Lunokhod I have seen so far :)

3 hours ago, Beale said:

Any desire for a new Soyuz? N1 is a little too much right now, but this seems attractive. potentially.

xgW4vyr.jpg

New Soyuz with the early 7k-OK docking-compartement  would be nice ( just an Idea, no pressure;))

On 11/16/2019 at 4:01 PM, Beale said:

xgW4vyr.jpg

I second the vote for early soyuz design parts, also for early soyuz the umbilical arm could a cool decoupler (I don't know if the part itself is feasable in KSP)