[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

6 hours ago, Random Annoying Guy said:

@Beale

Maybe an optional patch?

I quote your post a few pages back:

KSP is not IRL, if you dont, I will make a patch to make the engines like they were before

I don't want to maintain two separate balance branches, the switchover to Monoprop will be permanent.

Edited by Beale
cannot English

All spacecraft in Tantares are in the category of craft that you use to dock and undock a lot, maybe more than once or twice per flight. Rescues, ferry kerbals to, ferry kerbals from, station manning, inter-station shuttle...  So,  designs that use a lot of RCS. It is actually a good simplification to have everything work on monoprop only. 

1 hour ago, Daniel Prates said:

All spacecraft in Tantares are in the category of craft that you use to dock and undock a lot, maybe more than once or twice per flight. Rescues, ferry kerbals to, ferry kerbals from, station manning, inter-station shuttle...  So,  designs that use a lot of RCS. It is actually a good simplification to have everything work on monoprop only. 

But having both RCS and main engines use LFO also eliminates this problem while also giving you more dv.

Edited by golkaidakhaana

3 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

But having both RCS and main engines use LFO also eliminates this problem while also giving you more dv.

Yeah I guess there is some disambiguation to make :)

I think whatever the fuel type, all orbital craft should use the same fuel for both main propulsion and orientation, this is mostly the case irl with soviet craft, and for KSP does:

• Fixes a long-standing balance issues in the mod with mismatches of Monoprop and LF/O tank types and engines
  • From a gameplay perspective keeps things unique.

Here's a good example, the main engine of the Soyuz, you can see the same tanks feeding both the RCS and engine.

fig3-2-13-petit.jpg

Sources: https://www.kosmonavtika.com/vaisseaux/soyouz/tech/kdu/kdu.html

Sources: https://andegraf.com/rockets/

Sources: http://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/Specials/KB-Isayev_KDUs/index.htm

6 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Thinking of KSP as a whole and not just Tantares, RCS parts are firmly bogged down the realm of monopropellant. I don't use tantares in a vacuum (no pun intended, or perhaps yes) so I find it good that tantares rcs is monoprop like most stock rcs; it follows that monoprop engines fit the whole scheme better. But that is just me.

14 minutes ago, Random Annoying Guy said:

thanks, will fix.

10 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Thinking of KSP as a whole and not just Tantares, RCS parts are firmly bogged down the realm of monopropellant. I don't use tantares in a vacuum (no pun intended, or perhaps yes) so I find it good that tantares rcs is monoprop like most stock rcs; it follows that monoprop engines fit the whole scheme better. But that is just me.

I think this a fair point, I know a lot of the smaller parts get used across the board.

In regards to the question of the Soyuz SM using LFO or Mono, just a thought.

Consider the intended purpose of the part/engine. This is a service module for a small orbital craft, used for providing electrical power (with panels), maneuvering capability, and a retroburn. LFO engines are generally used in booster stages or when higher raw-thrust is needed (a landing thruster, for example). Having the Soyuz service module engine and RCS both use Mono has always felt right to me.

2 hours ago, Beale said:

sry soyjus is cancel.

j7W8Jdk.jpg

ẃ̡͉̟̥̺͎̦̲̟͢͟h̨̨̘̲̖͟y̨̢̛̻̖̝͚̖̩̭̘̟̪̫͈͎̘͓̦͖͞ ̛̮͎̲̩̯͚͍͓̳̻̙̭̩͍̙͞h̛̯͚̪͍̭͍̖̱̼͖͎̞͔͘͢ą̷̪̫̠̪̻͓̟̘̗͙͍̟̜̲̤͓͟͠v̗̼̟̳͉̣̣͟͡è̴͢͏̷̞̞̲̣̹̺̺̪͔͍̼̳̬ ̴̷̨̗̺͈̣̮̗̖̜̜̦̹̼̺̟͓̜͢͠y̧͇̣̦͈̱̱͎̗̦̬͔̻̠͕̲͍̼̳͈o̷͔̦͕̞̣͎̖͈̗̪ư̢̻̘̲̜͕͈̻̖̭ ̢̢̱͓̹̲̦̙̭̙̯̦̖̟͖͟͞ͅͅf̡͓͚͓̥̟͓̤̭̳́͟͠o̗̺̤̩̰͎͓̪̪͘͡r̷̶̸͇̤͍̟̘͓͎̗̜̯̦͘͢ͅs̵̮̬̝̤̖͉̩͈̪͜͝ͅͅa̶͉̘̱̹̗͈̩͕̗̖̻̯̘̬̟̘͞k̸͇̱̩̞̝̼̩̹̫̺̣͠e̷̢̡͖̦̣̙̦͔̱̖͟͝n̛̛͎̗͖̗̮̣̲̲̺̫̗̟̤͠ͅ ̵̡̛̙̖̤̪̲̳͍̩̙̞̕͝m̨̩͎͎̹̫̦͔͔̥̞̣͕̻̭̩̘͓͇̲̕e̛̩̹̹̜̟̙̟͟

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

Sorry to ask, I just haven't checked in on Tantares in a while. Is this the modern Soyuz? Is it already included in the current version of Tantares?

Yep that's right, it's the Soyuz-TM, first launched in 1986.

It is in the current version of Tantares, but the new version currently in progress has more parts to represent it much better (I.e. the little cupola window).

You can get the in-progress version here (clone or download button).

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares

New version

g9XZLNr.jpg

Old version

oF92j8t.png

32 minutes ago, Lucius said:

OOOOOOO this wouldnt be in public beta yet would it?

It is! you can grab it here:

https://github.com/Tantares/Tantares